Chi Franciscan Villa is a large non-profit nursing home located in South Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Our rating system was not very kind to this facility, as we gave it an overall score of F. If you are not happy with this facility's poor overall grade, you may find your options to be limited in South Milwaukee. The city has just one other nursing home. We would not blame you if you're ready to stop reading and find another facility. However, if you want to learn more about this nursing home's category grades, nursing grades are discussed in the next paragraph.
Chi Franciscan Villa
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
3601 S Chicago Ave,
South Milwaukee WI 53172
76.8% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Lymphedema Care
Registered Staff Hours
Even though this facility's overall grade was rock bottom, it actually didn't perform as badly in the area of nursing. We awarded it a C for that category. Nursing scores are based in large part on levels of nurse staffing. This nursing home averages just 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient per day, which is well below average. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics. While this nursing home got docked a bit for its nursing hours, it actually excelled in some of these quality-based metrics. With fewer than five percent of its patients suffering from pressure ulcers, it did well in this metric. This is generally an indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can many times be avoided by offering better nursing care, such as by employing a system of turning a patient even once per day.
As it turns out, its government inspection reports were not the source of this nursing home's abysmal overall grade. In fact, it earned a grade of C in this category. We believe that one of the most critical factors in evaluating an inspection report is deficiencies. We especially look at the severity of the deficiencies. This place was hit with 4 deficiencies on its government inspection report, but none were category G through L deficiencies. This means it avoided the more serious classes of deficiencies. Unfortunately, we also need to draw your attention to the fact that this facility received significant government fines in recent years.
Does this page answer your questions about Chi Franciscan Villa?
Short-term Care Quality
We gave this facility just a D for our short-term care score. This is not a very good score. Our short-term care scores are based in part on a facility's quantity of highly-skilled nursing services. This includes a wide spectrum of services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, in addition to other types of therapy. With its poor rating in this category, we weren't stunned to find this nursing home offers significantly fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per patient than most facilities. The final datapoint we assessed in this category is the percentage of patients who ultimately were able to return home from the nursing home. This facility struggled quite a bit in this area as well, with just 2.8 percent of its patients returning home.
Long-term Care Quality
The last area we rated was long-term care. It received an abysmal F for this area, which is a rock bottom grade. Facilities that don't fare well in long-term care typically are not as well-staffed and are lagging in some of the areas of routine personal care we looked at. Once we looked at the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we next considered the nursing home's vaccination record. Frankly, we were a bit alarmed this facility vaccinated 89.38053 percent of its patients for pneumonia, which is quite a few points below what we were hoping for. Surprisingly, this place actually fared well at keeping its patients out of the hospital. It had only 0.03 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days. This was its best score in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Chi Franciscan Villa Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Chi Franciscan Villa, 6.93% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of residents who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage resulting from remaining in the same position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Chi Franciscan Villa, 3.27% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of patients who sustained a major fall. Falls resulting in serious injury are considered by many experts to be an indicator of nursing care at a nursing home. Falls are routinely the result of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Chi Franciscan Villa, 3.19% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of residents that have had a urinary tract infection. These infections could be linked to inadequate hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Chi Franciscan Villa, 13.83% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure gauges the percent of long-term residents that were administered antipsychotic medication. Increased usage of these drugs may suggest a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents in scenarios where such drugs aren't medically indicated. However, some facilities need to rely on these medications due to an increased number of residents suffering from dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Chi Franciscan Villa, 15.45% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of long-term care residents taking antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Chi Franciscan Villa, 6.26% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term residents showing symptoms of depression. Some experts argue that this is a measure of patient quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Chi Franciscan Villa, 92.96% of Patients
This is the percent of patients that were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Chi Franciscan Villa, 13.23% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as dressing and continence. Many in the industry argue this is a reliable measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Chi Franciscan Villa, 20.17% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percentage of residents that retained mobility levels over time. Retaining mobility is often a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Chi Franciscan Villa, 1.28 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Chi Franciscan Villa, 20.17 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Chi Franciscan Villa, 13.08 Percentage of Patients
Measures the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care. Avoiding emergency medical situations is one way to gauge patient well-being during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Chi Franciscan Villa, 75.51% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint measures the percent of short-term care patients who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Some argue that this is a measure of a facility's rehabilitation performance.
- Ascension St Francis HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.07 miles away3237 S 16th St Milwaukee Wisconsin 53215Voluntary non-profit - Private(414) 647-5000
- Aurora St Lukes Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.67 miles away2900 W Oklahoma Ave Milwaukee Wisconsin 53215Voluntary non-profit - Private(414) 649-6000
- Aurora West Allis Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.85 miles away8901 W Lincoln Ave Milwaukee Wisconsin 53227Voluntary non-profit - Private(414) 328-6000
- Ascension Columbia St Mary's Hospital MilwaukeeAcute Care Hospitals 11.45 miles away2323 N Lake Dr Milwaukee Wisconsin 53211Voluntary non-profit - Church(414) 585-1374
- Ascension All Saints HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.46 miles away3801 Spring St Racine Wisconsin 53405Voluntary non-profit - Church(262) 687-4011
- Childrens Hospital of WisconsinChildrens 12.71 miles away9000 W Wisconsin Ave Milwaukee Wisconsin 53226Voluntary non-profit - Other(414) 266-2000
- Froedtert Memorial Lutheran HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.79 miles away9200 W Wisconsin Ave Milwaukee Wisconsin 53226Voluntary non-profit - Private(414) 805-3000
- Milwaukee County Behavioral Health DivisionPsychiatric 13.25 miles away9455 W Watertown Plank Rd Milwaukee Wisconsin 53226Government - Local(414) 257-5202
- Davita - Oak Creek2.4 miles away8201 S Howell Ave, Suite 600 Oak Creek Wisconsin 53154Dialysis Stations: 12 (414) 762-3784
- Fresenius Medical Care Midwest Ryan Road4.29 miles away9420 S 22nd St Oak Creek Wisconsin 53154CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (414) 761-8080
- Fresenius Medical Care Midwest Lakeshore4.54 miles away2000 E Layton Ave Ste 200 Saint Francis Wisconsin 53235CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 10 (414) 481-7179
- Fresenius Medical Care Midwest South6.81 miles away2600 W Howard Ave Milwaukee Wisconsin 53221CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (414) 281-2704
- Davita - Loomis Rd6.99 miles away4120 W Loomis Rd Milwaukee Wisconsin 53221CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (414) 761-4920
- Fresenius Medical Care Midwest 27th Street Branch7.59 miles away3120 S 27th St Milwaukee Wisconsin 53215CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (414) 643-1714
- Davita - South Ridge8.55 miles away7740 W Layton Ave Milwaukee Wisconsin 53220CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (414) 281-1313
- Davita - Rivercenter Dr9.46 miles away117 N Jefferson St Milwaukee Wisconsin 53202CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (414) 225-3740