Chehalem Health & Rehab is one of just two available facilities located in Newberg, Oregon. This nursing home was given an overall grade of B-, which is a solid score. Based on our analysis, there are certainly far worse places out there. The best part of this nursing home's report card was is its nursing grade. Nursing grades are discussed in the next section.
Chehalem Health & Rehab
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Bariatric Care
- Oncology Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
This nursing home received a solid overall grade as described above, but it really excelled in the area of nursing care, with an impressive grade of A- in this category. In computing a facility's nursing grade, we assess the quantity of hours nurses are seeing patients and the skill levels of the nurses. This facility provided 0.6 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This nursing home performed very well in the area of minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Short-term Care Quality
We also gave this facility a strong grade in short-term care. This facility received a B+ in this category, which is one of our more favorable scores. Short-term care grades are commonly used to assess a facility's rehabilitation services. In order to offer highly rated rehabilitation services, facilities generally must have higher levels of skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing includes registered nurses, physical therapists, occupational therapists and other highly trained professionals. Fortunately, it appear that this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not all facilities employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, based on the data this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The final datapoint we considered in this area is the number of residents that who were able to eventually return home from the nursing home. We found that 4.7 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home as opposed to remaining at the facility on a permanent basis.
Does this page answer your questions about Chehalem Health & Rehab?
This facility's third best category grade came in the area of government inspections. In that category, we gave this nursing home a B. It actually outperformed most facilities in this category. Inspection grades are based on several datapoints located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes that score well in this area tend to have few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these nursing homes should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. Unfortunately, this facility was assessed a category L deficiency, which was not what we expected given its inspection rating. This category means CMS discovered a widespread deficiency placing resident safety or health in immediate danger. In spite of this major red flag, other aspects of this facility's inspection report gave us some hope.
Long-term Care Quality
The final category we assessed is long-term care. We awarded it a grade of C in that area. This is a decent grade in this area. In determining our long-term care grades, we look at the assistance with daily living received by a nursing home's residents. Once we assessed the amount of nursing care, we then looked at the facility's vaccination data. We were pleased to find that this nursing home vaccinates 100 percent of its patients against pneumonia. Lastly, this place was also able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had only 0 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Chehalem Health & Rehab Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Chehalem Health & Rehab, 8.23% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term care residents who are suffering from new or worsened pressure ulcers or bed sores. We bake this statistic into our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Chehalem Health & Rehab, 2.36% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of residents who have had a fall leading to severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Chehalem Health & Rehab, 2.4% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of residents who have had a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered by many experts to be a measure of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are routinely linked to a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. However, this metric could also be misleading for certain facilities due to varying reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Chehalem Health & Rehab, 15.56% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of patients given antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic drugs are administered to residents for many conditions, including cognitive disorders. Tragically, in limited situations, increased usage of these drugs may mean a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Chehalem Health & Rehab, 12.65% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents prescribed antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety drugs are prescribed to patients suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Chehalem Health & Rehab, 5.35% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients who are exhibiting depressive symptoms. Increased rates of depression could imply lower quality care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Chehalem Health & Rehab, 92.77% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term residents that were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for nursing home residents, making these types of vaccines critical to patient care.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Chehalem Health & Rehab, 13.93% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of dependence on staff for assistance with activities of daily living could indicate deterioration of a patient's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Chehalem Health & Rehab, 23.47% Percentage of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients who remained mobile levels. Some experts believe that the ability to move around is vital to residents' well-being.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Chehalem Health & Rehab, 23.47 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is usually a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Chehalem Health & Rehab, 14.47 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care. There is a correlation between staying out of the emergency room and the quality of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Chehalem Health & Rehab, 75.28% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint measures the percent of short-term care residents that saw functional improvements.
- Providence Newberg Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.32 miles away1001 Providence Drive Newberg Oregon 97132Voluntary non-profit - Church(503) 537-1555
- Legacy Meridian Park Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.55 miles away19300 Sw 65th Avenue Tualatin Oregon 97062Voluntary non-profit - Private(503) 692-2182
- Willamette Valley Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.27 miles away2700 Se Stratus Ave. Mcminnville Oregon 97128Voluntary non-profit - Private(503) 472-6131
- Tuality Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.91 miles away335 Se 8th Avenue Hillsboro Oregon 97123Voluntary non-profit - Private(503) 681-1111
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - WestsideAcute Care Hospitals 16.78 miles away2875 Nw Stucki Ave Hillsboro Oregon 97124Voluntary non-profit - Private(971) 310-1000
- Providence St Vincent Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 16.8 miles away9205 Sw Barnes Road Portland Oregon 97225Voluntary non-profit - Private(503) 216-2213
- Providence Willamette Falls Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 18.26 miles away1500 Division Street Oregon City Oregon 97045Voluntary non-profit - Private(503) 657-6915
- Ohsu Hospital and ClinicsAcute Care Hospitals 18.76 miles away3181 Sw Sam Jackson Park Road Portland Oregon 97239Voluntary non-profit - Other(503) 494-6245
- Pnrs Newberg Dialysis Center0.62 miles away3100 Haworth Ave Newberg Oregon 97132Dialysis Stations: 12 (503) 537-0100
- Sherwood Dialysis Center6.9 miles away21035 Sw Pacific Highway Sherwood Oregon 97140Dialysis Stations: 13 (503) 925-0105
- Pnrs Tualatin10.91 miles away7780 Sw Mohawk St Tualatin Oregon 97062CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (971) 224-4000
- Meridian Park Dialysis Center11.64 miles away19255 Sw 65th Ave Suite 100 Tualatin Oregon 97062Dialysis Stations: 14 (503) 692-8159
- Woodburn Dialysis11.87 miles away1840 Newberg Hwy Ste 140 Woodburn Oregon 97071CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (503) 982-2005
- Pnrs Evergreen Dialysis12.25 miles away345 Se Norton Ln Ste B Mcminnville Oregon 97128Dialysis Stations: 12 (503) 474-2680
- Mcminnville Dialysis12.3 miles away200 Ne Norton Lane Mcminnville Oregon 97128Dialysis Stations: 12 (503) 435-0597
- Rose City Dialysis, LLC12.8 miles away10300 Sw Nimbus Ave Ste Pa Portland Oregon 97223Dialysis Stations: 13 (503) 443-4909