Chehalem Health & Rehab is one of just two available facilities located in Newberg, Oregon. This nursing home was given an overall grade of B+, which is a strong score. Based on our analysis, you can do much worse than this nursing home. This place's strong report card was highlighted by its nursing rating, which we will address in the next section.
Chehalem Health & Rehab
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Bariatric Care
- Oncology Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
We also wanted to emphasize the fact that this nursing home excelled in our nursing rating. We gave them an A+ in this area. When calculating our nursing ratings, we weigh both the number of hours nurses spend with residents and the levels of licensure of those nurses. This nursing home provides 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This place performed very well when it comes to avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Short-term Care Quality
This facility performed well in our short-term care category. Indeed, we gave it a grade of A- for that category, which is one of our most favorable grades. Short-term care ratings are based on the facility's quantity of skilled highly skilled professionals. This means a broad spectrum of services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, as well as other forms of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this facility employs registered nurses. Not every nursing home employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, based on the information this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Finally, we looked at the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 0 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Chehalem Health & Rehab?
This nursing home earned a B for its inspections score. This is an above average score in this category. Inspection ratings weigh several factors, including deficiencies, substantiated complaints and federal fines. You can find more information about each of these items by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. Surprisingly, this nursing home received a category L deficiency, which is not what we expected based on its inspection grade. This category of deficiency indicates CMS uncovered a widespread deficiency placing patient health or safety in immediate jeopardy. In spite of this major red flag, other aspects of this facility's inspection report gave us some hope.
Long-term Care Quality
The final area we analyzed was long-term care. This facility was awarded a strong long-term care grade this year, with a grade of C. Although this wasn't quite as dominant as a few of its other category grades, this remains a respectable grade in this category. In a long-term care environment, the nursing home's primary objective is to maintain residents' quality of life and keep them safe. One of the factors we considered after nurse's aid hours is vaccinations. Fortunately, this facility administered the pneumonia vaccine to 100 percent of its residents. This nursing home keeps its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Chehalem Health & Rehab Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Chehalem Health & Rehab, 8.57% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of patients that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also known as bed sores, are routinely the result of residents staying in one position for too long. Better nursing protocols reduces the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Chehalem Health & Rehab, 2.43% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of residents who have had a major fall. Falls resulting in severe injury are often linked to lower levels of patient supervision. Better nursing care minimizes the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Chehalem Health & Rehab, 2.24% of Patients had UTIs
This figure gauges the percentage of long-term patients that sustained a UTI. While more infections could reflect poorly on a facility's hygiene protocols, it is problematic to compare different facilities due to nursing homes having varying reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Chehalem Health & Rehab, 15.6% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients that are prescribed antipsychotic drugs. Excessive reliance on these medications may suggest that a facility is using these medications to subdue residents in situations where such medications aren't medically indicated. However, some nursing homes may need to rely on these medications due to an increased number of patients with cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Chehalem Health & Rehab, 12.47% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint tells you the percent of long-term residents which are administered antianxiety drugs. These drugs are generally given to patients experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Chehalem Health & Rehab, 5.65% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term patients who are showing symptoms of depression. Many believe this is a reliable measure of resident quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Chehalem Health & Rehab, 92.57% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term care residents who were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Chehalem Health & Rehab, 13.82% Percentage of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term care patients that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as moving around and bathing. Many believe that this is a reasonable measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Chehalem Health & Rehab, 22.07% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percent of residents that were able to retain mobility over time. Preserving mobility is often a great sign for residents' health.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Chehalem Health & Rehab, 22.07 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Chehalem Health & Rehab, 75.47% Percentage of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term stay residents that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. High levels of performance with ADL's usually correlates with successful rehabilitation services.
- Providence Newberg Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.32 miles away1001 Providence Drive Newberg Oregon 97132Voluntary non-profit - Church(503) 537-1555
- Legacy Meridian Park Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.55 miles away19300 Sw 65th Avenue Tualatin Oregon 97062Voluntary non-profit - Private(503) 692-2182
- Willamette Valley Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.27 miles away2700 Se Stratus Ave. Mcminnville Oregon 97128Voluntary non-profit - Private(503) 472-6131
- Tuality Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.91 miles away335 Se 8th Avenue Hillsboro Oregon 97123Voluntary non-profit - Private(503) 681-1111
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - WestsideAcute Care Hospitals 16.78 miles away2875 Nw Stucki Ave Hillsboro Oregon 97124Voluntary non-profit - Private(971) 310-1000
- Providence St Vincent Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 16.8 miles away9205 Sw Barnes Road Portland Oregon 97225Voluntary non-profit - Private(503) 216-2213
- Providence Willamette Falls Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 18.26 miles away1500 Division Street Oregon City Oregon 97045Voluntary non-profit - Private(503) 657-6915
- Ohsu Hospital and ClinicsAcute Care Hospitals 18.76 miles away3181 Sw Sam Jackson Park Road Portland Oregon 97239Voluntary non-profit - Other(503) 494-6245
- Pnrs Newberg Dialysis Center0.62 miles away3100 Haworth Ave Newberg Oregon 97132Dialysis Stations: 12 (503) 537-0100
- Sherwood Dialysis Center6.9 miles away21035 Sw Pacific Highway Sherwood Oregon 97140Dialysis Stations: 13 (503) 925-0105
- Pnrs Tualatin10.91 miles away7780 Sw Mohawk St Tualatin Oregon 97062CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (971) 224-4000
- Meridian Park Dialysis Center11.64 miles away19255 Sw 65th Ave Suite 100 Tualatin Oregon 97062Dialysis Stations: 14 (503) 692-8159
- Woodburn Dialysis11.87 miles away1840 Newberg Hwy Ste 140 Woodburn Oregon 97071CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (503) 982-2005
- Pnrs Evergreen Dialysis12.25 miles away345 Se Norton Ln Ste B Mcminnville Oregon 97128Dialysis Stations: 12 (503) 474-2680
- Mcminnville Dialysis12.3 miles away200 Ne Norton Lane Mcminnville Oregon 97128Dialysis Stations: 12 (503) 435-0597
- Rose City Dialysis, LLC12.8 miles away10300 Sw Nimbus Ave Ste Pa Portland Oregon 97223Dialysis Stations: 13 (503) 443-4909