Chehalem Health & Rehab is one of just two available facilities located in Newberg, Oregon. This nursing home was given an A- overall, which is an elite score. We couldn't find many negative things to say about this nursing home. Its ratings are just impeccable. If you scroll down, you can see this nursing home's category grades, which are also strong.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Chehalem Health & Rehab
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Newberg senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Bariatric Care
- Oncology Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
To go along with its strong overall grade, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A+ for its nursing grade. In computing a facility's nursing score, we weigh the amount of time nurses are with patients as well as the level of skill of those nurses. This facility provided 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This facility performed very well in terms of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Short-term Care Quality
Adding to its first-rate assessment, this nursing home also received a dominant short-term care grade, with a grade of A-. With our short-term care grade, we seek to forge a fair barometer for rehabilitation. In doing so, we assess the nursing home's scope of skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as speech therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not all facilities employs these skilled professionals. However, according to the data this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The final item we looked at in this area is the percentage of residents who were able to leave the facility and return home. We discovered that 0 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Chehalem Health & Rehab?
Adding to its impressive category grades, we awarded this nursing home a grade of B+ for our inspections rating. These inspection scores take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies and substantiated complaints. You can find more information about each of these factors by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. Surprisingly, this nursing home was hit with a category L deficiency, which is unexpected based on its inspection grade. This category of deficiency means CMS uncovered a widespread deficiency placing patient safety or health in immediate danger. In spite of this major red flag, other aspects of this facility's inspection report gave us some hope.
Long-term Care Quality
The next category we rated was this nursing home's weakest area. Nevertheless, even its lowest point would likely be a highlight for most nursing homes. In fact, we gave it a strong grade of B for long-term care. Long-term care ratings in this range generally require both around the clock care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine medical care. One of the criteria we considered after nursing hours was vaccinations. This nursing home administered the pneumonia vaccine to 98.23009 percent of its patients. Vaccination is a great way to avoid unnecessary hospitalizations for the senior population. Lastly, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Chehalem Health & Rehab Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Chehalem Health & Rehab, 9.8% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic is an indication of the percentage of long-term patients that are suffering from pressure ulcers. Many experts believe that pressure ulcers are a reliable barometer of a facility's nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Chehalem Health & Rehab, 2.43% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of residents who sustained a major fall. Falls resulting in severe injuries are routinely caused by poor nursing care. Closer supervision minimizes the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Chehalem Health & Rehab, 2.67% of Patients had UTIs
This figure measures the percent of long-term residents who have had UTI's. UTI's may be a sign of a facility with worst hygiene practices. Nevertheless, this statistic may be skewed for certain facilities due to varying reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Chehalem Health & Rehab, 15.04% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients given antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs may be vital to many residents, it is important to confirm these medications are being used only where medically required. In limited cases, increased usage of these drugs may mean that a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Chehalem Health & Rehab, 12.62% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of patients who were given antianxiety medications. Antianxiety drugs are given to residents suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Chehalem Health & Rehab, 6.44% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term care residents who are exhibiting signs of depression. Many in the industry believe this is a measure of patient quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Chehalem Health & Rehab, 92.26% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term patients that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Chehalem Health & Rehab, 12.97% Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term patients who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as taking medications and taking a bath. Many in the industry would argue this is a reliable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Chehalem Health & Rehab, 18.46% Percentage of Residents
This is the percentage of residents who remained mobile levels over time. Optimizing mobility can be a great sign for residents' well-being.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Chehalem Health & Rehab, 18.46 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Chehalem Health & Rehab, 77% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percentage of short-term care patients who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. High levels of performance with ADL's typically correlates with successful rehabilitation.
- Providence Newberg Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.32 miles away1001 Providence Drive Newberg Oregon 97132Voluntary non-profit - Church(503) 537-1555
- Legacy Meridian Park Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.55 miles away19300 Sw 65th Avenue Tualatin Oregon 97062Voluntary non-profit - Private(503) 692-2182
- Willamette Valley Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.27 miles away2700 Se Stratus Ave. Mcminnville Oregon 97128Voluntary non-profit - Private(503) 472-6131
- Tuality Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.91 miles away335 Se 8th Avenue Hillsboro Oregon 97123Voluntary non-profit - Private(503) 681-1111
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - WestsideAcute Care Hospitals 16.78 miles away2875 Nw Stucki Ave Hillsboro Oregon 97124Voluntary non-profit - Private(971) 310-1000
- Providence St Vincent Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 16.8 miles away9205 Sw Barnes Road Portland Oregon 97225Voluntary non-profit - Private(503) 216-2213
- Providence Willamette Falls Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 18.26 miles away1500 Division Street Oregon City Oregon 97045Voluntary non-profit - Private(503) 657-6915
- Ohsu Hospital and ClinicsAcute Care Hospitals 18.76 miles away3181 Sw Sam Jackson Park Road Portland Oregon 97239Voluntary non-profit - Other(503) 494-6245
- Pnrs Newberg Dialysis Center0.62 miles away3100 Haworth Ave Newberg Oregon 97132Dialysis Stations: 12 (503) 537-0100
- Sherwood Dialysis Center6.9 miles away21035 Sw Pacific Highway Sherwood Oregon 97140Dialysis Stations: 13 (503) 925-0105
- Pnrs Tualatin10.91 miles away7780 Sw Mohawk St Tualatin Oregon 97062CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (971) 224-4000
- Meridian Park Dialysis Center11.64 miles away19255 Sw 65th Ave Suite 100 Tualatin Oregon 97062Dialysis Stations: 14 (503) 692-8159
- Woodburn Dialysis11.87 miles away1840 Newberg Hwy Ste 140 Woodburn Oregon 97071CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (503) 982-2005
- Pnrs Evergreen Dialysis12.25 miles away345 Se Norton Ln Ste B Mcminnville Oregon 97128Dialysis Stations: 12 (503) 474-2680
- Mcminnville Dialysis12.3 miles away200 Ne Norton Lane Mcminnville Oregon 97128Dialysis Stations: 12 (503) 435-0597
- Rose City Dialysis, LLC12.8 miles away10300 Sw Nimbus Ave Ste Pa Portland Oregon 97223Dialysis Stations: 13 (503) 443-4909