Chapel Hill Community is an average-sized non-profit nursing home located in Canal Fulton, Ohio. With an overall score of B, this is a good option. Based on our analysis, this nursing home has quite a bit going for it. This place's impressive report card was highlighted by its inspection reports, which you can find in the next paragraph.
Chapel Hill Community
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
12200 Strausser St Nw,
Canal Fulton OH 44614
62.22% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- No Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Church related
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
One of the reasons this place is a strong facility is that it earned a very impressive inspection grade. Inspections is its best category. In that area, we gave this facility an A. Inspection ratings are tied to many datapoints located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes that excel in this category have few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these facilities generally do not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. While this facility had a few minor dings on its inspection report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are those labeled as categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This means the government inspectors didn't consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. A couple minor dings are not the end of the world.
Short-term Care Quality
This facility was given a favorable short-term care score as well. We gave it one of our higher grades in that area with a score of B+. In calculating our short-term care ratings, we scrutinize the nursing home's levels of highly skilled nursing, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists respiratory therapists and other types of therapists. This score is typically a fair measure of a facility's rehabilitation. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not all facilities employs these types of nurses. However, according to the information they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Finally, we considered the number of residents that who were able to eventually return home from this nursing home. We found that 6.4 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Chapel Hill Community?
Long-term Care Quality
We also awarded this nursing home a decent grade in the category of long-term care, where it received a B-. Our long-term care grades are more meaningful for folks requiring more conventional assistance related to personal care. One of the datapoints we considered on top of nursing hours is vaccines. This facility provided the pneumonia vaccine to 91.3242 percent of its patients. Fortunately, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Moving on to the fourth area, this nursing home was given an acceptable nursing grade of C. There are several subcategories within this category. Many of these factors reflect nurse staffing. This facility provided just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a relatively low total compared to most other facilities. Finally, our nursing ratings also factor in quality-based metrics, such as avoiding major falls. Despite not having the highest total nursing hours per resident, this facility actually performed admirably in the area of preventing major falls. This is often a good indicator that a facility has sufficient quality controls in place. Some falls could be avoided if a facility supplies enough nurses aids to assist its residents.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Chapel Hill Community Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Chapel Hill Community, 7.61% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of residents who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage caused by staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Chapel Hill Community, 3.74% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of residents that sustained a major fall. Falls leading to serious injury are often the result of lower quality nursing care. Better nursing protocols can minimize the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Chapel Hill Community, 1.71% of Patients had UTIs
This metric indicates the percentage of long-term stay residents who sustained a UTI. While more of these infections could reflect poorly on a facility's nursing care, it is difficult to compare different facilities due to varying reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Chapel Hill Community, 13.23% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint is an indication of the percentage of long-term care patients taking antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to confirm these drugs are being used only where medically required. In some situations, excessive reliance on these medications may mean a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Chapel Hill Community, 22.46% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric is an indication of the percent of long-term stay residents who are given antianxiety medication. These drugs are typically used to treat patients suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Chapel Hill Community, 20.26% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents who are exhibiting signs of depression. High levels of depression could be a sign a lower level of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Chapel Hill Community, 90.12% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients that received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Chapel Hill Community, 14.88% Percentage of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term residents that required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as dressing and bathing. Many in the industry argue this is a reliable measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Chapel Hill Community, 16.29% Percentage of Residents
This is the percentage of residents that maintained mobility over time. Retaining mobility is often a great sign for residents' well-being.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Chapel Hill Community, 16.29 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Chapel Hill Community, 12 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Chapel Hill Community, 75.25% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percentage of short-term stay residents who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Higher levels of performance with activities of daily living often correlates with successful rehabilitation.
- Aultman Orrville HospitalCritical Access Hospitals 10.79 miles away832 South Main Street Orrville Ohio 44667Voluntary non-profit - Private(330) 682-3010
- Mercy Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.01 miles away1320 Mercy Drive Nw Canton Ohio 44708Voluntary non-profit - Private(330) 489-1080
- Aultman HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.34 miles away2600 Sixth Street Sw Canton Ohio 44710Voluntary non-profit - Other(330) 363-6352
- Akron General Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.78 miles away1 Akron General Avenue Akron Ohio 44307Voluntary non-profit - Private(330) 344-6000
- Summa Health SystemAcute Care Hospitals 13.24 miles away525 East Market Street Akron Ohio 44309Voluntary non-profit - Private(330) 375-3000
- Summa Western Reserve HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 16.78 miles away1900 23rd Street Cuyahoga Falls Ohio 44223Voluntary non-profit - Other(330) 971-7000
- Wooster Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 19.36 miles away1761 Beall Avenue Wooster Ohio 44691Government - Local(330) 263-8100
- Kamaka Dialysis LLC7.08 miles away1587 Boettler Rd Suite 130 Uniontown Ohio 44685Dialysis Stations: 14 (330) 899-0035
- Fmc - Akron Canton Kidney Center7.19 miles away1565 Corporate Woods Pkwy Uniontown Ohio 44685Dialysis Stations: 25 (330) 896-6311
- Fmc - Massillon Dialysis Center7.53 miles away2474 Lincoln Way East Massillon Ohio 44646Dialysis Stations: 17 (330) 837-2575
- Us Renal Care Barberton Dialysis7.84 miles away33 3rd Street Se Suite 100 Barberton Ohio 44203CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 13 (330) 753-7280
- Davita - Massillon Community Dialysis8.04 miles away2112 Lincoln Way East Massillon Ohio 44646Dialysis Stations: 13 (330) 837-7730
- Davita - Coventry Dialysis8.08 miles away3235 Manchester Road, Suite 9 Akron Ohio 44319Dialysis Stations: 13 (330) 645-9453
- Davita Belden Community Dialysis8.11 miles away4685 Fulton Road Nw Canton Ohio 44718CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 42 (330) 649-9300
- Us Renal Care Norton Home Therapies9.51 miles away3300 Greenwich Road Suite 13 Barberton Ohio 44203Dialysis Stations: 5 (330) 825-2354