Centennial Gardens for Nursing & Rehabilitation is an average-sized nursing home in Minneapolis, Minnesota. This nursing home received an F, which is really a bottom of the barrel score in our grading scheme. This nursing home is about as bad as it gets. More information on this nursing home's category grades may be found below. Its best category was short-term care, which is addressed in the next paragraph.
Centennial Gardens for Nursing & Rehabilitation
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
While we gave this nursing home a terrible overall score, we gave it a C for short-term care. In our short-term care rating, we strive to forge a fair gauge for rehabilitation services. In this process, we look at a nursing home's levels of highly-skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as occupational therapy. We found that this place was below average in the two key staffing areas we focus on. It supplied fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than most other facilities. The last measure we assessed in this category is the number of residents who were able to return home from the nursing home. We found that just 0 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home. Unfortunately, this was below the national average.
One of the other reasons we graded this nursing home so highly is that it received a very impressive nursing rating. In that category, we awarded this nursing home an D. Our nursing category assesses several subcategories, most of which are based on levels of nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a much lower figure than we are used to seeing. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in calculating our nursing grades. This facility performed well in terms of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. Many consider these statistics to be measures of the quality of nursing care.
Does this page answer your questions about Centennial Gardens for Nursing & Rehabilitation?
Among this place's alarming category grades was a lowly F for its inspection grade. Typically, this indicates we found some red flags on the nursing home's government inspections. When a nursing home has this bad of an inspection grade, you should look for severe deficiencies on its inspection report. Severe deficiencies indicate a risk to the well being of residents. This particular facility had 8 deficiencies by CMS. The only positive thing we can say is that none of its deficiencies were in the categories that suggest that they created a risk to patient health or safety. Finally, we also would like to point out that this nursing home received large government fines totaling over $100,000. This typically signifies that a nursing home's poor performance has been an issue for more than one year.
Long-term Care Quality
The last category we looked at is long-term care, in which this nursing home was given a bottom of the barrel score in this category as well. It received an abysmal F for this area, which is obviously very concerning. Facilities that receive this type of score in this category likely don't provide the kind of consistent around the clock care that some other nursing homes provide. In addition to assessing the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we also looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility gave the vaccine to 92.307686 percent of its patients. This is a few points below what we expected but still a reasonably acceptable figure. To our surprise, this nursing home was actually decent at keeping its residents out of the hospital. It had just 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days. This is its best score in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Centennial Gardens for Nursing & Rehabilitation Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Centennial Gardens for Nursing & Rehabilitation, 6.69% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of residents that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also called bed sores, are routinely the result of residents not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing care limits the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Centennial Gardens for Nursing & Rehabilitation, 4.21% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of residents that have had a major fall. Falls leading to serious injury are routinely the result of poor nursing care. Better nursing protocols can minimize the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Centennial Gardens for Nursing & Rehabilitation, 2.83% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of residents who suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's are often the result of lower quality nursing care. Better nursing care minimizes the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. We want to point out that this datapoint is affected by by the fact that nursing homes have incongruent reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Centennial Gardens for Nursing & Rehabilitation, 16.64% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of patients who were given antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic medications are administered to patients for many conditions, such as Alzheimer's or other dementias. Unfortunately, in limited situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest that a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Centennial Gardens for Nursing & Rehabilitation, 12.33% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic is an indication of the percent of long-term care residents who were administered antianxiety medication. These medications are typically used to treat residents suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Centennial Gardens for Nursing & Rehabilitation, 4.58% of Patients
This is the percent of patients who are showing signs of depression. High rates of depression may imply a less hospitable environment.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Centennial Gardens for Nursing & Rehabilitation, 93.31% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients that were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Centennial Gardens for Nursing & Rehabilitation, 13.09% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Centennial Gardens for Nursing & Rehabilitation, 18.07% Percentage of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents that were able to retain mobility.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Centennial Gardens for Nursing & Rehabilitation, 18.07 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is usually a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Centennial Gardens for Nursing & Rehabilitation, 12.51 Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Centennial Gardens for Nursing & Rehabilitation, 76.76% Percentage of Resident
This is the percent of short-term care patients that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
Scores for Minneapolis, MN
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Minneapolis, Minnesota has 51 other nursing homes
- North Memorial HealthAcute Care Hospitals 1.4 miles away3300 Oakdale North Minneapolis Minnesota 55422Voluntary non-profit - Private(763) 520-5200
- Hennepin County Medical Center 1Acute Care Hospitals 5.18 miles away701 Park Avenue Minneapolis Minnesota 55415Government - Local(612) 873-3629
- Children's Hospitals & Clinics of MnChildrens 5.92 miles away2525 Chicago Avenue South Minneapolis Minnesota 55404Voluntary non-profit - Private(612) 813-6112
- Abbott Northwestern HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.14 miles away800 East 28th Street Minneapolis Minnesota 55407Voluntary non-profit - Private(612) 863-4457
- Park Nicollet Methodist HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.17 miles away6500 Excelsior Blvd Minneapolis Minnesota 55426Voluntary non-profit - Private(952) 993-5000
- University of Minnesota Medical Center, FairviewAcute Care Hospitals 6.43 miles away2450 Riverside Avenue Minneapolis Minnesota 55454Voluntary non-profit - Private(612) 273-3000
- Fairview Southdale HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.01 miles away6401 France Avenue South Minneapolis Minnesota 55435Voluntary non-profit - Private(952) 924-5100
- Maple Grove HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.3 miles away9875 Hospital Drive Osseo Minnesota 55369Voluntary non-profit - Private(763) 581-1000
- Fmc Dialysis - Golden Valley1.18 miles away6155 Duluth St Minneapolis Minnesota 55422Dialysis Stations: 18 (763) 544-0298
- Fmc - Robbinsdale Dialysis1.23 miles away4094 Lakeland Ave N Minneapolis Minnesota 55422Dialysis Stations: 24 (763) 533-3759
- Robbinsdale Dialysis of Davita1.26 miles away3461 W Broadway Ave Minneapolis Minnesota 55422Dialysis Stations: 16 (763) 521-4865
- Davita - New Hope3.6 miles away5640 International Pkwy Minneapolis Minnesota 55428Dialysis Stations: 12 (763) 537-0300
- East River Road Dialysis4.92 miles away5301 E River Rd Ne Suite 117 Minneapolis Minnesota 55421Dialysis Stations: 12 (763) 571-5556
- Home Dialysis of Davita - Pd Unit5.29 miles away825 S 8th St Suite 1202, Pd Unit Minneapolis Minnesota 55404Dialysis Stations: 6 (612) 347-4458
- St Louis Park Dialysis of Davita5.35 miles away3505 Louisiana Ave S Minneapolis Minnesota 55426Dialysis Stations: 28 (952) 285-1400
- Fresenius - St Louis Park Dialysis5.4 miles away5680 36th St W Minneapolis Minnesota 55416Dialysis Stations: 12 (952) 926-0959