Carrington Place of New Orleans is in New Orleans, Louisiana. This city is one of the most densely populated cities in the nation with has a total of 382,333 people. Featuring an overall grade of D, this is a relatively poor facility. If you aren't happy with this facility's overall grade, you should be able to find a better option in New Orleans. The city has at least 10 other nursing homes. Despite all this, one of the few highlights of this nursing home's report card is its impressive inspection rating. You can continue reading to learn more about inspections and other category grades
Carrington Place of New Orleans
- Nursing Home
Updated Nov 1, 2021 by Nick Lata
5301 Tullis Drive,
New Orleans LA 70131
91.72% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
While we did not rate this place favorably overall, we want to point out its relatively solid inspections in recent years. We gave it a B+ in this area, which was much better than its overall score. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in determining our inspection grades. One key factor is health deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of the deficiencies is usually more meaningful than the quantity of deficiencies, as some are relatively insignificant. This nursing home was hit with 2 deficiencies on its inspection report, but fortunately none of the deficiencies were considered to be severe deficiencies. This indicates that CMS didn't consider any of the deficiencies an imminent risk to resident safety or health. A couple minor deficiencies aren't necessarily the end of the world.
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home's next most favorable category ended up being its long-term care score, where it received a B-. In calculating our long-term care scores, we quantify the facility's ability to maintain its permanent residents' health and quality of life. After we finished looking at the amount of nursing care, we next considered the facility's vaccination records. We were optimistic to discover that this facility vaccinated 99.842766 percent of its patients against pneumonia. This place was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Carrington Place of New Orleans?
We gave this facility a grade of just D for our nursing rating. Nursing scores are tied to quality and quantity of nursing care. This facility provided a meager 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident on a daily basis. This number is significantly below average. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This facility fared well in the area of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers.
Short-term Care Quality
Switching gears to our final area, this nursing home did not fare very well here either. Due to a bottom of the barrel grade of F in short-term care, this is really as terrible as it gets. Our short-term care ratings are thought to be most meaningful for individuals requiring rehabilitation services. Rehabilitation typically requires higher levels of highly-skilled nursing services. This means not just nursing services, but also physical and respiratory therapy, as well as other variations of therapy. With a grade this poor in this category, we were not stunned to find this nursing home was well below average in multiple staffing figures we focus on. The nursing home provided significantly fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per patient than most other facilities. The final measure we considered in this area is the percentage of patients who ultimately returned home from the facility. This facility struggled quite a bit in this metric as well, with just 2.3 percent of its residents returning home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Carrington Place of New Orleans Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Carrington Place of New Orleans, 9.76% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic tells you the percentage of long-term stay residents who suffered from pressure ulcers or bed sores. We bake this statistic into our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Carrington Place of New Orleans, 3.46% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric tells you the percentage of long-term patients who have experienced a fall which caused major injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but excessive numbers of falls could be an indication of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Carrington Place of New Orleans, 2.79% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of residents that have had a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered by many experts to be a measure of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are routinely associated with lower quality nursing care. Nevertheless, this datapoint may be skewed for certain facilities due to varying reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Carrington Place of New Orleans, 16.28% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric indicates the percentage of long-term residents that were administered antipsychotic drugs. Excessive reliance on these medications may indicate that a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior in situations where such medications aren't medically required. However, some facilities may need to rely on these medications due to having more patients with Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Carrington Place of New Orleans, 22.6% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents that are prescribed antianxiety drugs. These drugs are commonly prescribed to patients experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Carrington Place of New Orleans, 1.48% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients exhibiting symptoms of depression. Many in the industry would argue that this is a measure of patient quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Carrington Place of New Orleans, 89.54% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients that were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Carrington Place of New Orleans, 17.84% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term care patients who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as moving around and continence.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Carrington Place of New Orleans, 15.38% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of patients who remained mobile levels over time. Retaining mobility can be a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Carrington Place of New Orleans, 2.05 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of care. There is generally a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and the quality of long-term care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Carrington Place of New Orleans, 15.38 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Carrington Place of New Orleans, 12.77 Percentage of Patients
This metric tracks the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Avoiding medical emergencies is one way to measure patient well-being during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Carrington Place of New Orleans, 64.63% Percentage of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percent of short-term care residents that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Some experts believe this is a reliable measure of a nursing home's rehabilitation performance.
Scores for New Orleans, LA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of D
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? New Orleans, Louisiana has 14 other nursing homes
- St Bernard Parish HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.93 miles away8000 West Judge Perez Drive Chalmette Louisiana 70043Government - Hospital District or Authority(504) 826-9500
- Touro InfirmaryAcute Care Hospitals 5.82 miles away1401 Foucher Street New Orleans Louisiana 70115Voluntary non-profit - Private(504) 897-8247
- West Jefferson Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.82 miles away1101 Medical Center Blvd Marrero Louisiana 70072Voluntary non-profit - Private(504) 347-5511
- Tulane Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.87 miles away1415 Tulane Ave New Orleans Louisiana 70112Voluntary non-profit - Private(504) 988-5263
- University Medical Center New OrleansAcute Care Hospitals 6.34 miles away2000 Canal Street New Orleans Louisiana 70112Voluntary non-profit - Private(504) 903-3000
- Childrens HospitalChildrens 7.73 miles away200 Henry Clay Ave New Orleans Louisiana 70118Voluntary non-profit - Private(504) 899-9511
- New Orleans East HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.11 miles away5620 Read Blvd New Orleans Louisiana 70127Government - Hospital District or Authority(504) 592-6600
- Ochsner Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.67 miles away1516 Jefferson Hwy New Orleans Louisiana 70121Voluntary non-profit - Private(504) 842-3000
- Davita - Westbank Chronic Renal Ctr1.55 miles away3631 Behrman Pl New Orleans Louisiana 70114CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (504) 366-0808
- Dci - Westbank-Gretna1.56 miles away1010 Behrman Hwy Gretna Louisiana 70056Dialysis Stations: 22 (504) 391-9572
- Davita - Algiers Dialysis1.87 miles away2924 General Degaulle Dr New Orleans Louisiana 70114Dialysis Stations: 13 (504) 367-0006
- Fkc - Algiers2.51 miles away2908 General Degualle Dr New Orleans Louisiana 70114Dialysis Stations: 13 (504) 227-1521
- Davita - Oakwood Dialysis2.75 miles away148 Hector Ave Gretna Louisiana 70056Dialysis Stations: 12 (504) 376-1603
- Fmcna - Gretna3.37 miles away959 Behrman Hgwy Gretna Louisiana 70056Dialysis Stations: 17 (504) 391-1041
- Fkc - Chalmette3.78 miles away3027 Jean Lafitte Pkwy Chalmette Louisiana 70043Dialysis Stations: 13 (504) 682-2877
- Chalmette Dialysis Ctr4.83 miles away4020 Paris Rd Chalmette Louisiana 70043Dialysis Stations: 16 (504) 277-8423