Carrington Place of Baton Rouge is a large nursing home located in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. With a abysmal overall grade of F, this nursing home isn't high on our list. Fortunately, this nursing home is one of 22 nursing homes in this city so if you aren't impressed, you should have better options. Lastly, this facility had an ownership change in the last year. Hopefully, new ownership is able to elevate its quality standards.
Carrington Place of Baton Rouge
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
Please note our records indicate that Carrington Place of Baton Rouge has changed ownership recently and while our data on this page is up-to-date there is a chance that the quality of this facility may change under new management.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- No Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Individual
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
While this facility's overall grade was as bad as it gets, it actually didn't perform terribly in the area of inspections. In fact, we awarded it a B- for that category, which is one of our better scores. We believe that one of the most critical factors in evaluating an inspection report is deficiencies. We especially focus on the severity of the deficiencies. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. In spite of this deficiency, this was still a relatively positive report.
In addition, we gave this facility an F in the area of nursing care. Nursing scores are heavily correlated with quality and quantity of nursing care. This place provided only 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident on a daily basis. This is an alarmingly low total. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in calculating our nursing scores. This facility fared well in the area of avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls.
Does this page answer your questions about Carrington Place of Baton Rouge?
Long-term Care Quality
The third category we assessed was long-term care. This nursing home's was given an abysmal long-term care score where it was given an F. For patients seeking a permanent residence as opposed to rehabilitation, long-term care is a very important category. Once we assessed the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we turned to the facility's vaccination records. This facility vaccinated 97.19101 percent of its residents for pneumonia, which is more than most nursing homes. To our surprise, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. With only 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, this nursing home had fewer hospitalizations than the average nursing home. Sadly, a few of its other scores in the category weren't as favorable as these.
Short-term Care Quality
The next category we assessed is short-term care. This facility was given a rock bottom grade of F in that category. In the area of short-term care, we attempt to assess measures of a facility's rehabilitation services. We look at the facility's skilled nursing services, including the ones performed by registered nurses and physical therapists. Given its score in this area, we were not stunned to discover that this place was well below average in terms of the quantity of physical therapy and registered nurse hours provided to its patients based on the measures we looked at. Lastly, we considered the percentage of patients who eventually returned home from this facility. This nursing home didn't fare well here either. In fact, we found that just 4.1 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Carrington Place of Baton Rouge Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Carrington Place of Baton Rouge, 9.89% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is an indication of the percentage of long-term care residents who are suffering from new or worsened pressure ulcers. Many experts believe that pressure ulcers are a great indicator of nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Carrington Place of Baton Rouge, 3.47% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of patients who sustained a major fall. Falls leading to major injuries are routinely linked to lower quality nursing care. Better nursing protocols limits the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Carrington Place of Baton Rouge, 2.76% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint indicates the percent of long-term patients that have suffered from urinary tract infections. UTI's could be a sign of poor nursing care. Nevertheless, this statistic can be skewed for some nursing homes due to different reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Carrington Place of Baton Rouge, 15.79% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents given antipsychotic medications. These medications are sometimes used for treating a variety of conditions, such as Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Carrington Place of Baton Rouge, 22.51% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is an indication of the percent of long-term patients taking antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Carrington Place of Baton Rouge, 1.54% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term stay patients who are showing symptoms of depression. Many would argue that this is a reliable measure of quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Carrington Place of Baton Rouge, 89.03% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients who were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Carrington Place of Baton Rouge, 17.58% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of residents who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of dependence on staff for assistance with activities of daily living may be a sign of the erosion of a patient's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Carrington Place of Baton Rouge, 16.37% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percent of residents that remained mobile levels over time. Retaining mobility is often a great sign for residents' health.
In Carrington Place of Baton Rouge, 1.85 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint measures the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Carrington Place of Baton Rouge, 16.37 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Carrington Place of Baton Rouge, 12.9 Percentage of Patients
Measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Avoiding medical emergencies is one way to measure patient care during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Carrington Place of Baton Rouge, 63.81% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percent of short-term care patients who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
Scores for Baton Rouge, LA
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of D
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Baton Rouge, Louisiana has 21 other nursing homes
- Our Lady of the Lake Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.61 miles away5000 Hennessy Blvd Baton Rouge Louisiana 70808Voluntary non-profit - Church(225) 765-6565
- Womans HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.28 miles away100 Woman's Way Baton Rouge Louisiana 70817Voluntary non-profit - Private(225) 927-1300
- Baton Rouge General Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.69 miles away3600 Florida Blvd Baton Rouge Louisiana 70806Voluntary non-profit - Private(225) 387-7767
- Ochsner Medical Center - Baton RougeAcute Care Hospitals 6.67 miles away17000 Medical Center Dr Baton Rouge Louisiana 70816Voluntary non-profit - Private(225) 752-2470
- St James Behavioral Health Hospital, IncPsychiatric 15.99 miles away3136 South St Landry Road Gonzales Louisiana 70737Voluntary non-profit - Private(225) 647-7524
- Lane Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 17.28 miles away6300 Main Street Zachary Louisiana 70791Government - Hospital District or Authority(225) 658-4000
- Fmcna - Mancuso0.05 miles away4848 Mancuso Ln, Ste A Baton Rouge Louisiana 70809Dialysis Stations: 21 (225) 766-6773
- Fmcna - Greater Baton Rouge Home Program0.32 miles away5399 Mancuso Lane Baton Rouge Louisiana 70809Dialysis Stations: 15 (225) 819-2036
- Davita - Essen Lane Dialysis0.43 miles away7703 Picardy Ave Baton Rouge Louisiana 70808Dialysis Stations: 21 (225) 769-8669
- Fkc - j.h. Lee Kidney Center0.43 miles away5348 Flanders Drive Baton Rouge Louisiana 70808Dialysis Stations: 17 (225) 766-3761
- Fmcna - Picardy Kidney Ctr0.5 miles away7638 Picardy Ave Ste A Baton Rouge Louisiana 70808Dialysis Stations: 20 (225) 766-5600
- Fmcna - Baton Rouge3.21 miles away524 Colonial Dr Baton Rouge Louisiana 70806Dialysis Stations: 20 (225) 927-3311
- Fmcna - Dialysis Services of Bon Carre3.91 miles away7656 Realtors Ave Baton Rouge Louisiana 70806Dialysis Stations: 20 (225) 216-0388
- Davita - Mid City Dialysis4.86 miles away2902 Florida Blvd Baton Rouge Louisiana 70802Dialysis Stations: 13 (225) 766-0093