Caring Heights Community Care & Rehab Center is in Coraopolis, Pennsylvania, a city with a population of 40,153 people. We gave this nursing home an overall grade of B+. A grade in this range requires strong marks in most areas. In fact, we ranked this facility in the top third of all facilities in the United States. This nursing home was also given impressive scores in all of the major categories. More information about these categories can be found below.
Caring Heights Community Care & Rehab Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
234 Coraopolis Road,
Coraopolis PA 15108
91.91% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to receiving a great overall score, this place also received first-rate health inspections in recent years. We gave it one of our best grades in that category, with an A. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in determining our inspection grades. One of those factors is deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of the deficiencies is arguably more important than the quantity of deficiencies, as some deficiencies end up being relatively insignificant. This nursing home received 5 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none were considered to be severe deficiencies. This tells you that the inspectors did not consider any of the deficiencies to create an immediate risk to patient safety or health. Keep in mind that deficiency-free inspection reports are uncommon in this industry.
Long-term Care Quality
Another one of this nursing home's impressive category grades came in the area of long-term care. We gave them one of our more favorable grades in that category, with a score of B+. Nursing homes that do well in this category typically are well-staffed and provide extensive hands on care to patients. One of the statistics we considered in addition to nursing hours is vaccinations. This nursing home administered the pneumonia vaccine to 100 percent of its residents. Vaccination is a proven method to avoid unnecessary deaths for the nursing home population. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. It had only 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Caring Heights Community Care & Rehab Center?
This nursing home also received a strong nursing score. In fact, we awarded it an above average grade of B in this area. The nursing grade assesses quite a few components, however, the main consideration is the quantity of nurse hours spent with patients. This nursing home provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This facility performed very well in terms of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Short-term Care Quality
The next category we graded is short-term care, where this nursing home was awarded a grade of B. This facility ended up being relatively strong in all areas we analyzed. Short-term care grades are often used to gauge a nursing home's performance with rehabilitation. In order to provide highly scored rehabilitation services, nursing homes generally must offer higher levels of skilled nursing. These types of services include registered nurses, physical therapists, respiratory therapists and other licensed professionals. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not all facilities employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, based on the data this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Lastly, we looked at the percentage of residents that ultimately were able to return home from this facility. We found that 4.9 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Caring Heights Community Care & Rehab Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Caring Heights Community Care & Rehab Center, 7.59% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure is an indication of the percent of long-term care residents who are suffering from new or worsened pressure ulcers or bed sores. We bake this statistic into both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Caring Heights Community Care & Rehab Center, 3.37% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of residents who suffered from a major fall. Falls resulting in major injury are often caused by lower quality nursing care. Better nursing care can reduce the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Caring Heights Community Care & Rehab Center, 1.9% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of patients who suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's are often caused by poor nursing care. Closer supervision can limit the number of UTI's sustained by residents in a nursing home. We want to point out that this datapoint is affected by by the fact that facilities have different reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Caring Heights Community Care & Rehab Center, 15.54% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents who were prescribed antipsychotic medications. These medications may be used to treat several conditions, such as cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Caring Heights Community Care & Rehab Center, 19.74% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric tells you the percent of long-term patients taking antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Caring Heights Community Care & Rehab Center, 3.12% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents who are showing symptoms of depression. High rates of depression could reveal a lower level of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Caring Heights Community Care & Rehab Center, 88.22% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients who were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Caring Heights Community Care & Rehab Center, 14.84% Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as taking medications and taking a bath.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Caring Heights Community Care & Rehab Center, 21.64% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percent of residents that were able to retain mobility over time. Preserving mobility can be a great sign for residents' health.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Caring Heights Community Care & Rehab Center, 21.64 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Caring Heights Community Care & Rehab Center, 8.92 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care. Staying out of the emergency room is one way to gauge patient care during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Caring Heights Community Care & Rehab Center, 72.59% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percent of short-term care patients that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
- Ohio Valley General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.3 miles away25 Heckel Road Mc Kees Rocks Pennsylvania 15136Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 777-6161
- Heritage Valley SewickleyAcute Care Hospitals 4.4 miles away720 Blackburn Road Sewickley Pennsylvania 15143Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 741-7000
- Allegheny General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.6 miles away320 East North Avenue Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15212Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 359-3131
- Upmc PassavantAcute Care Hospitals 6.99 miles away9100 Babcock Boulevard Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15237Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 367-6700
- Upmc MercyAcute Care Hospitals 8.07 miles away1400 Locust Street Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15219Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 232-8111
- St Clair HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.98 miles away1000 Bower Hill Road Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15243Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 942-4000
- Upmc Presbyterian ShadysideAcute Care Hospitals 9.02 miles away200 Lothrop Street Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15213Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 647-8788
- West Penn HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.19 miles away4800 Friendship Avenue Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15224Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 578-5000
- Dci of North Borough Clinic2.91 miles away100 South Jackson Avenue, 7th Central Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15202Dialysis Stations: 8 (412) 766-6590
- Davita Avonworth Dialysis3.48 miles away259 Mt. Nebo Pointe Road Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15237Dialysis Stations: 9 (412) 364-3238
- Total Renal Care Inc3.56 miles away5888 Steubenville Pike, Suite 4 Mc Kees Rocks Pennsylvania 15136Dialysis Stations: 5 (412) 787-0314
- Ara - Dialysis Unit at Ohio Valley Hospital LLC3.56 miles awayMedical Arts Building 27 Heckel Road, Suite 113 Mc Kees Rocks Pennsylvania 15136Dialysis Stations: 14 (412) 331-2423
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Ohio Valley4.28 miles awayRobinson Plaza, Building #3 Route 60, Suite 110 Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15205CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (412) 494-6902
- Davita Thorn Run Dialysis4.31 miles away1136 Thorn Run Road, Suite j1 Coraopolis Pennsylvania 15108Dialysis Stations: 15 (412) 269-2304
- Dci of North Hills5.5 miles away3412 Babcock Boulevard Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15237CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (412) 635-0211
- Davita Northside Dialysis6.86 miles away930 Madison Avenue Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15212CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 23 (412) 322-2520