Care One at Holyoke is a facility located in Holyoke, Massachusetts, which has 39,880 people. This facility is among the highest-graded nursing homes we found. A grade of this caliber requires excellent scores across the board. We were so impressed with this facility that we ranked it in the top 20 percent of all nursing homes nationally. If you look below, you can see this facility's category grades, which are also quite good.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Care One at Holyoke
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Holyoke senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Top Nursing Home in Massachusetts Awards 2019
Registered Staff Hours
To go along with its strong overall grade, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A+ for our inspections rating. Our inspection ratings account for several factors found on a nursing home's inspection report. One of the most important criteria we rely on is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. Places with higher scores in this area generally have very few of these severe deficiencies. This facility was assessed 3 deficiencies on its inspection report, but fortunately none of the deficiencies were considered to be severe deficiencies. This tells you that the inspectors did not consider any of the deficiencies to cause an immediate risk to patient safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
On the list of its many impressive scores, this facility was given a top-shelf long-term care grade. In fact, it received a grade of A in that area. Facilities that receive this kind of grade in long-term care tend to provide consistent around the clock care to make sure residents are well cared for. Once we looked at the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we then analyzed the facility's vaccination data. This nursing home vaccinated 97.16535 percent of its residents against pneumonia, which is far higher than the vast majority of nursing homes. Finally, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Care One at Holyoke?
To complement its strong performance in other areas, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A+ for our inspections rating. When computing a nursing home's nursing grade, we assess the amount of time nurses commit to patients and the level of skill of those nurses. This nursing home provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This nursing home performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a place has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can many times be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Short-term Care Quality
The final area we scored was short-term care. In that area, we gave this facility an impressive grade of B. Our short-term care grade is generally employed to judge a nursing home's performance with rehabilitation. To have highly rated rehabilitation services, facilities generally must offer better levels of skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing includes registered nurses, physical therapists, occupational therapists and other types of therapists. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not every facility employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, based on the information this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Finally, we considered the number of residents who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 0 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Care One at Holyoke Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Care One at Holyoke, 6.61% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of patients who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also known as bed sores, are routinely the result of patients not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing care reduces the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Care One at Holyoke, 3.77% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of residents that have had a major fall. Falls resulting in serious injuries are considered to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Falls leading to injury are routinely the result of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Care One at Holyoke, 2.05% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of residents who suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's are often linked to facilities with lower levels of hygiene. Better hygiene protocols can limit the number likelihood of residents sustaining infections. We want to point out that this statistic is sometimes skewed by the fact that facilities have different reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Care One at Holyoke, 19.24% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents who were prescribed antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications may be helpful for many patients, it is important to ensure these medications are being used only where medically required. In limited cases, increased usage of these drugs may indicate that a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Care One at Holyoke, 18.54% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents who were given antianxiety medications. These medications are typically given to residents experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Care One at Holyoke, 2.48% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term residents demonstrating depressive symptoms. Many would argue that this is a reliable measure of quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Care One at Holyoke, 91.39% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients who received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for seniors, making these vaccines critical to patient well-being.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Care One at Holyoke, 16.21% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Care One at Holyoke, 15.75% Percentage of Residents
This metric measures the percentage of long-term care residents that were able to retain mobility.
In Care One at Holyoke, 1.68 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Care One at Holyoke, 15.75 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Scores for Holyoke, MA
- Overall Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Holyoke, Massachusetts has 3 other nursing homes
- Holyoke Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.07 miles away575 Beech Street Holyoke Massachusetts 01040Voluntary non-profit - Private(413) 534-2500
- Cooley Dickinson Hospital Inc,TheAcute Care Hospitals 7.4 miles away30 Locust Street Northampton Massachusetts 01060Voluntary non-profit - Private(413) 582-2000
- Baystate Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.54 miles away759 Chestnut Street Springfield Massachusetts 01199Voluntary non-profit - Private(413) 794-0000
- Mercy Medical CtrAcute Care Hospitals 8.08 miles away271 Carew Street Springfield Massachusetts 01104Voluntary non-profit - Private(413) 748-9000
- Baystate Noble HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.58 miles away115 West Silver Street Westfield Massachusetts 01085Voluntary non-profit - Private(413) 568-2811
- Baystate Wing Hospital and Medical CentersAcute Care Hospitals 15.89 miles away40 Wright Street Palmer Massachusetts 01069Voluntary non-profit - Other(413) 283-7651
- Ara-Holyoke Dialysis LLC3.99 miles away36 Lower Westfield Rd Unit C-153 Holyoke Massachusetts 01040Dialysis Stations: 20 (413) 533-3128
- Dialysis Center of Western Massachusetts5.05 miles away601 Memorial Drive, Suite H Chicopee Massachusetts 01020Dialysis Stations: 15 (413) 593-3078
- Chicopee Dialysis Center5.47 miles awayI 391 Industrial Park 317 Meadow Street Chicopee Massachusetts 01013Dialysis Stations: 17 (413) 535-2529
- Pioneer Valley Dialysis Center6.02 miles away208 Ashley Avenue West Springfield Massachusetts 01089CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 29 (413) 750-3400
- Hampshire County Dialysis Center6.24 miles away84 Conz Street Northampton Massachusetts 01060Dialysis Stations: 13 (413) 586-7989
- Western Mass. Kidney Center (Bma Springfield)8.62 miles away2000 Main Street Springfield Massachusetts 01103CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 33 (413) 739-4751
- East Springfield Dialysis (Bma of Massachusetts)8.87 miles away1515 State Street Springfield Massachusetts 01109CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (413) 732-1586
- Springfield Dialysis Center9.08 miles away125 Liberty Street, Suite 101 Springfield Massachusetts 01103Dialysis Stations: 16 (413) 736-9600