Capital Oaks Nursing & Rehabilitation Center is in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. This city is one of the most densely populated metropolitan areas in the nation with has a total of 378,909 people. We gave this nursing home an overall grade of B-. A score in this range requires some decent marks. Even in a city of 21 other nursing homes, this facility turns out to be a perfectly acceptable choice. One of the best aspects of this nursing home's profile is its stellar inspection score, which you can find in the next paragraph.
Capital Oaks Nursing & Rehabilitation Center
Updated May 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
4100 North Blvd,
Baton Rouge LA 70806
90.16% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to being a respectable nursing home overall, this facility really excelled in the category of inspections, where it received a grade of A+. Few nursing homes performed better in this area. Arguably the most significant factor we look at in determining our inspection grades is deficiencies. These deficiencies are found on a facility's inspection reports. Facilities with better grades in this area typically avoided the most severe deficiencies involving health risks or even death. This facility was assessed 3 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none were considered to be severe. This means that CMS didn't deem any of the deficiencies an immediate risk to resident safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home also excelled in the area of long-term care. In fact, we awarded it a grade of A in that category, which happens to be one of our highest scores. Facilities that receive this kind of grade in long-term care typically provide consistent around the clock care to ensure patients are well cared for. One of the criteria we considered in addition to nursing hours was vaccines. This facility administered the pneumonia vaccination to 97.932816 percent of its residents. This is a proven method to minimize unnecessary deaths and hospitalizations for the nursing home population. The last statistic we assessed is the nursing home's hospitalization rate. Here we found that this facility had 1.92 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is middle of the pack in this area.
Does this page answer your questions about Capital Oaks Nursing & Rehabilitation Center?
Another strength of this nursing home is its favorable grade in nursing. We gave them one of our better scores in that area, with a score of D. Our nursing rating looks at the nursing home's nurse staffing levels. We consider both the levels of training of those nurses and the amount of time spent with residents. This facility offered just 2.6 hours of nursing care per patient daily. This is not a very impressive figure. In addition to its subpar nursing hour totals, this place earned poor marks in many of the quality-based measures we considered in computing our nursing ratings. We found that a higher percentage of this place's residents suffered falls which led to serious injury.
Short-term Care Quality
The final category we assessed is short-term care, which turned out to be this nursing home's worst category. It received a lowly F in this category, which is clearly very disappointing. In the area of short-term care, we seek to assess indicators of a nursing home's rehabilitation services. We look at a nursing home's skilled nursing services, including the ones performed by registered nurses and physical therapists. We found that this facility was subpar in multiple staffing metrics we assessed. It offered fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per resident than most nursing homes. The last measure we assessed in this category is the number of residents that returned home from the nursing home. This facility struggled quite a bit in this area as well, with just 41.3 percent of its residents returning home. This was quite a bit below the national average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Capital Oaks Nursing & Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Capital Oaks Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 9.91% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This datapoint tells you the percent of long-term residents that developed pressure ulcers . We bake this statistic into both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Capital Oaks Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 3.5% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of residents who have had a fall which caused serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Capital Oaks Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 2.75% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of long-term care residents that suffered from urinary tract infections. Although a higher rate infections could reflect poorly on a facility's cleanliness, it can be problematic to compare between facilities due to reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Capital Oaks Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 15.82% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients given antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications may be vital to many residents, it is important to ensure these medications are being used appropriately. In limited situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Capital Oaks Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 22.49% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric is an indication of the percent of long-term residents who were given antianxiety medication. These medications are typically given to patients experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Capital Oaks Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 1.57% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents exhibiting symptoms of depression. Some argue that this is a reliable measure of quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Capital Oaks Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 89.69% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents who were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Capital Oaks Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 17.57% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents that required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of dependence on staff for assistance with ADL's may indicate erosion of a patient's health.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Capital Oaks Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 16.33% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of residents who were able to retain mobility over time. Preserving mobility can be a great sign for residents' health.
In Capital Oaks Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 1.86 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Capital Oaks Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 16.33 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care. Keeping residents out of the hospital during rehabilitation is important to restoring the physical well-being of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Capital Oaks Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 12.99 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Scores for Baton Rouge, LA
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of D
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Baton Rouge, Louisiana has 20 other nursing homes
- Baton Rouge General Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.48 miles away3600 Florida Blvd Baton Rouge Louisiana 70806Voluntary non-profit - Private(225) 387-7767
- Our Lady of the Lake Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.84 miles away5000 Hennessy Blvd Baton Rouge Louisiana 70808Voluntary non-profit - Church(225) 765-6565
- Womans HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.42 miles away100 Woman's Way Baton Rouge Louisiana 70817Voluntary non-profit - Private(225) 927-1300
- Ochsner Medical Center - Baton RougeAcute Care Hospitals 8.72 miles away17000 Medical Center Dr Baton Rouge Louisiana 70816Voluntary non-profit - Private(225) 752-2470
- Lane Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 13.85 miles away6300 Main Street Zachary Louisiana 70791Government - Hospital District or Authority(225) 658-4000
- Davita - Mid City Dialysis0.74 miles away2902 Florida Blvd Baton Rouge Louisiana 70802Dialysis Stations: 13 (225) 766-0093
- Fmcna - North Boulevard0.87 miles away2661 North Blvd Baton Rouge Louisiana 70806CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (225) 387-5777
- Fmcna - Foster Dr Dialysis Svcs1.31 miles away1919 N Foster Dr Baton Rouge Louisiana 70806CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (225) 354-1611
- Fmcna - Dialysis Services of Bon Carre2.21 miles away7656 Realtors Ave Baton Rouge Louisiana 70806Dialysis Stations: 20 (225) 216-0388
- Fmcna - Baton Rouge2.9 miles away524 Colonial Dr Baton Rouge Louisiana 70806Dialysis Stations: 20 (225) 927-3311
- Fmcna - Airline3.8 miles away5948 Airline Hwy Baton Rouge Louisiana 70805CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 29 (225) 357-9055
- Fmcna - Picardy Kidney Ctr4.01 miles away7638 Picardy Ave Ste A Baton Rouge Louisiana 70808Dialysis Stations: 20 (225) 766-5600
- Fkc - j.h. Lee Kidney Center4.02 miles away5348 Flanders Drive Baton Rouge Louisiana 70808Dialysis Stations: 17 (225) 766-3761