Canyon Rim Care Center is an average-sized nursing home located in Salt Lake City, Utah. This facility received an uninspiring overall grade of D in our grading scheme. Based on our ratings, this facility likely isn't a great fit for most people. More information on this facility's category grades may be found below. Its best category was inspections, which is addressed in the next section.
Canyon Rim Care Center
Updated May 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
2730 East 3300 South,
Salt Lake City UT 84109
68.44% estimated occupancy 1
Note: Canyon Rim Care Center has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
Registered Staff Hours
Although we were not high on this facility overall, we awarded it a B- for inspections. This score is better than the facility's overall grade. Our inspection ratings are tied to many datapoints found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Deficiencies are an important thing to look for on these inspections. Severe deficiencies indicate a threat to resident safety. While this nursing home had a few deficiencies on its government inspection report, none of them were serious based on CMS' deficiency scale. Lastly, this nursing home was cited by CMS for possible abuse or neglect. This is generally a really bad sign. We would never recommend this facility.
We also awarded this facility a grade of B- for our nursing rating. Our nursing rating looks at the nursing home's level of nurse staffing. We factor in both the levels of licensure of those nurses and the amount of time spent with residents. This particular nursing home provided 3.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also weigh quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This place performed better than average in this area. This is generally a good measure of how carefully a facility's nursing staff is tending to its patients. Major falls can often be avoided if more nurses aids and superior safety protocols are in place.
Does this page answer your questions about Canyon Rim Care Center?
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home's next highest area ended up being its short-term care score, where it was awarded a B-. In our short-term care grade, we seek to create a sound barometer for rehabilitation services. In this process, we look at a facility's scope of skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as occupational therapy. One of this nursing home's strength is that it offers more hours of care from registered nurses to its residents. The last statistic we considered in this area is the percentage of residents who were able to leave the nursing home and return to the community. This place was above average in this metric with 50.1 percent of its residents returning home.
Long-term Care Quality
Moving on to the next category, this facility was awarded an acceptable long-term care grade of C. Our long-term care grade is often used to assess a facility's performance as a traditional nursing home, as opposed to focusing more on the skilled nursing services offered by a skilled nursing facility. One of the statistics we considered on top of nursing hours was vaccines. Candidly, we were a bit alarmed this facility provided the pneumonia vaccine to a relatively low 84.78261 percent of its residents. On a more positive note, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Canyon Rim Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Canyon Rim Care Center, 5.88% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of patients that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin caused by staying in one position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Canyon Rim Care Center, 3.49% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of patients who have had a fall which caused serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Canyon Rim Care Center, 2.64% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of patients who suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are often the result of facilities with lower levels of hygiene. Additional nurse staffing can minimize the number of UTI's sustained by residents in a nursing home. We want to point out that this statistic is sometimes skewed by the fact that nursing homes have different reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Canyon Rim Care Center, 14.28% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure is a measure of the percent of long-term residents receiving antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications serve an important medical purpose, it is important to make sure these drugs are being used only where medically required. In some cases, excessive reliance on these medications may mean a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Canyon Rim Care Center, 21.91% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This gauges the percentage of long-term residents taking antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Canyon Rim Care Center, 11.43% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents demonstrating symptoms of depression. Increased levels of depression could be a sign worse patient care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Canyon Rim Care Center, 83.42% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents who were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for seniors, making these types of vaccines important for resident well-being.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Canyon Rim Care Center, 13.23% Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term care residents who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as getting dressed and using the bathroom.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Canyon Rim Care Center, 18.94% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percentage of patients who remained mobile levels over time. Preserving mobility is usually a great sign for residents' health.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Canyon Rim Care Center, 18.94 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Canyon Rim Care Center, 71.32% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint measures the percentage of short-term care patients that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Some experts argue this is a reliable measure of a facility's rehabilitation performance.
Scores for Salt Lake City, UT
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Salt Lake City, Utah has 20 other nursing homes
- St Mark's HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.43 miles away1200 East 3900 South Salt Lake City Utah 84124Proprietary(801) 268-7700
- Intermountain Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.06 miles away5121 South Cottonwood Street Salt Lake City Utah 84107Voluntary non-profit - Private(801) 507-7000
- Primary Childrens HospitalChildrens 5.15 miles away100 North Mario Capecchi Drive Salt Lake City Utah 84113Voluntary non-profit - Private(801) 662-6212
- University of Utah Hospitals and ClinicsAcute Care Hospitals 5.15 miles away50 North Medical Drive Salt Lake City Utah 84132Government - State(801) 581-2121
- Salt Lake Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.42 miles away1050 East South Temple Salt Lake City Utah 84102Proprietary(801) 350-4111
- Lds HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.48 miles away8th Avenue and C Street Salt Lake City Utah 84143Voluntary non-profit - Private(801) 408-1100
- Alta View HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.71 miles away9660 South 1300 East Sandy Utah 84094Voluntary non-profit - Private(801) 501-2600
- Jordan Valley Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.41 miles away3580 West 9000 South West Jordan Utah 84088Voluntary non-profit - Other(801) 561-8888
- Fresenius Kidney Care Wasatch3.97 miles away3702 South State Street, Suite 101 Salt Lake City Utah 84115CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (801) 904-4407
- Kolff Dialysis Center/Univ. Of Utah4.13 miles away423 Wakara Way Suite 200 Salt Lake City Utah 84108Dialysis Stations: 17 (801) 581-3981
- Intermountain Medical Center Dialysis Services4.86 miles away74 West Vine Street Salt Lake City Utah 84107CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (801) 507-9000
- Primary Children's Dialysis Center5.12 miles away81 North Mario Capecchi Dr Salt Lake City Utah 84113Dialysis Stations: 6 (801) 662-7600
- Utah Dialysis Lab5.26 miles away1000 S Main St Ste 105 Salt Lake City Utah 84101Dialysis Stations: 19 (801) 408-1400
- West Valley Dialysis Clinic7.42 miles away3854 W 5400 S Salt Lake City Utah 84129CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (801) 969-6801
- Oquirrh Artificial Kidney Center8.16 miles away5320 South 2700 West Salt Lake City Utah 84129CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (801) 417-9900
- South Valley Dialysis Center8.57 miles away8750 S Sandy Pkwy Sandy Utah 84070Dialysis Stations: 17 (801) 233-8745