Canyon Rim Care Center turns out to be one of several options to choose from in Salt Lake City, Utah. This facility was awarded an overall grade of B, which is a quality grade. This grade was right in line with the city grade in Salt Lake City. We were also pleased to find that this facility didn't have any poor grades in any of the major categories discussed below. Additional information about its category grades can be found below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Canyon Rim Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Salt Lake City senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to being a quality nursing home overall, this nursing home really excelled in the area of nursing, where it received an A. Nursing scores are mostly based on a facility's level of nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This nursing home performed very well in the area of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Short-term Care Quality
This facility received a strong short-term care score as well. We gave it one of our higher scores in that category with a grade of B+. In determining our short-term care grades, we size up a nursing home's levels of highly skilled nursing, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists occupational therapists and other types of therapists. This score is frequently a useful measure of a facility's rehabilitation services. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not all facilities employs these types of nurses. However, based on the information they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The final item we considered in this area is the number of patients who were able to leave the nursing home and return home. We found that 0 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Canyon Rim Care Center?
We also wanted to emphasize this facility's nearly flawless inspections in recent years. We awarded them an impressive grade of B+ in this category. Arguably the most important factor we consider in determining our inspection grades is deficiencies. Deficiencies are found on a facility's recent inspection reports. Places with better grades in this area most likely avoided the most severe deficiencies involving health risks or even death. This nursing home received 4 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none of the deficiencies were considered to be major deficiencies. This tells you that the inspectors didn't deem any of the deficiencies to be an immediate threat to resident health or safety. The fact that none of the deficiencies were severe made us feel better about this inspection report.
Long-term Care Quality
Our final area is long-term care, where we gave this facility a C in this category. Our long-term care ratings are more important for patients in need of more conventional assistance associated with activities of daily living. One of the factors we considered on top of nurse's aid hours is vaccines. This facility provided the pneumonia vaccine to 92.21557 percent of its residents. Nevertheless, this facility excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Canyon Rim Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Canyon Rim Care Center, 6.23% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This datapoint gauges the percentage of long-term care patients which are suffering from new or worsened pressure ulcers or bed sores. We factor in this statistic in computing both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Canyon Rim Care Center, 3.44% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of residents who have had a major fall. Falls leading to serious injury are routinely the result of lower quality nursing care. Better nursing care limits the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Canyon Rim Care Center, 2.54% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of long-term residents who experienced UTI's. While more of these infections may reflect poorly on a facility's cleanliness, it is problematic to compare different facilities due to varying reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Canyon Rim Care Center, 15.2% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients who were given antipsychotic medications. These medications may be used for treating several medical conditions, including Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Canyon Rim Care Center, 21.24% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic is an indication of the percent of long-term care patients receiving antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Canyon Rim Care Center, 11.45% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients who are demonstrating symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Canyon Rim Care Center, 80.77% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents that have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Canyon Rim Care Center, 13.95% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of residents that required more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Canyon Rim Care Center, 14.91% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients that were able to retain mobility.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Canyon Rim Care Center, 14.91 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is usually a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Canyon Rim Care Center, 71.49% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percent of short-term patients who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Higher levels of performance with ADL's usually correlates with successful rehabilitation.
Scores for Salt Lake City, UT
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Salt Lake City, Utah has 14 other nursing homes
- St Mark's HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.43 miles away1200 East 3900 South Salt Lake City Utah 84124Proprietary(801) 268-7700
- Intermountain Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.06 miles away5121 South Cottonwood Street Salt Lake City Utah 84107Voluntary non-profit - Private(801) 507-7000
- Primary Childrens HospitalChildrens 5.15 miles away100 North Mario Capecchi Drive Salt Lake City Utah 84113Voluntary non-profit - Private(801) 662-6212
- University of Utah Hospitals and ClinicsAcute Care Hospitals 5.15 miles away50 North Medical Drive Salt Lake City Utah 84132Government - State(801) 581-2121
- Salt Lake Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.42 miles away1050 East South Temple Salt Lake City Utah 84102Proprietary(801) 350-4111
- Lds HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.48 miles away8th Avenue and C Street Salt Lake City Utah 84143Voluntary non-profit - Private(801) 408-1100
- Alta View HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.71 miles away9660 South 1300 East Sandy Utah 84094Voluntary non-profit - Private(801) 501-2600
- Jordan Valley Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.41 miles away3580 West 9000 South West Jordan Utah 84088Voluntary non-profit - Other(801) 561-8888
- Fresenius Kidney Care Wasatch3.97 miles away3702 South State Street, Suite 101 Salt Lake City Utah 84115CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (801) 904-4407
- Kolff Dialysis Center/Univ. Of Utah4.13 miles away423 Wakara Way Suite 200 Salt Lake City Utah 84108Dialysis Stations: 17 (801) 581-3981
- Intermountain Medical Center Dialysis Services4.86 miles away74 West Vine Street Salt Lake City Utah 84107CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (801) 507-9000
- Primary Children's Dialysis Center5.12 miles away81 North Mario Capecchi Dr Salt Lake City Utah 84113Dialysis Stations: 6 (801) 662-7600
- Utah Dialysis Lab5.26 miles away1000 S Main St Ste 105 Salt Lake City Utah 84101Dialysis Stations: 19 (801) 408-1400
- West Valley Dialysis Clinic7.42 miles away3854 W 5400 S Salt Lake City Utah 84129CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (801) 969-6801
- Oquirrh Artificial Kidney Center8.16 miles away5320 South 2700 West Salt Lake City Utah 84129CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (801) 417-9900
- South Valley Dialysis Center8.57 miles away8750 S Sandy Pkwy Sandy Utah 84070Dialysis Stations: 17 (801) 233-8745