Canton Christian Home is a small non-profit nursing home in Canton, Ohio. We awarded it an overall grade of B-, which is a middle of the road score. Even in a city of 10 nursing homes, this one should be a sound choice. More information on this facility's category grades may be found below. Its best category was short-term care, which is discussed in the next section.
Canton Christian Home
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
This facility excelled in the area of short-term care, with an A- in this area. Short-term care grades are based on the nursing home's quantity of skilled highly skilled professionals. This means a broad scope of services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, not to mention other types of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this facility employs registered nurses. Not all nursing homes employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, based on the information this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The last statistic we considered in this area is the percentage of residents who who were able to eventually return home from the nursing home. We found that 5.9 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home as opposed to remaining at the facility on a permanent basis.
Long-term Care Quality
Another one of this nursing home's better category scores was in the category of long-term care. In that area, we awarded this nursing home a grade of B. It actually performed better than most nursing homes in this category. Long-term care ratings in this range generally require both 24/7 care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine healthcare services. After considering the quantity of nursing care, we then looked at the facility's vaccination records. This facility vaccinated 99.57627 percent of its residents against pneumonia, which is what we like to see. Pneumonia sadly can be a life threatening ailment for nursing home patients so we strongly prefer when a facility doesn't leave this to chance. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. It had only 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Canton Christian Home?
One of this facility's better category grades was in the area of nursing care. In that area, we gave this facility a grade of B-. Our nursing score consists of a handful of datapoints, however, the paramount consideration is the level of nurse hours spent with patients. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a much lower figure than we are used to seeing. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this place actually fared better in some of the quality-based metrics we looked at. It performed well in the area of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers.
In the last category we assessed, this facility received a decent grade in inspections as well. We awarded it a score of B- for that category. Inspection scores are based on data points located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Deficiencies are a key thing to look for on these reports. Severe deficiencies indicate a risk to resident safety. This facility received 2 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none of the deficiencies were considered to be severe. This means that the government inspectors did not consider any of the deficiencies to cause an imminent risk to resident health or safety. A few relatively minor dings are not the end of the world.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Canton Christian Home Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Canton Christian Home, 7.79% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of patients who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be a measure of the quality of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are routinely caused by patients not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Canton Christian Home, 3.69% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of patients who have had a major fall. Falls leading to major injury are often the result of lower quality nursing care. Additional nurse staffing can minimize the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Canton Christian Home, 1.8% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of residents who suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections are linked to inadequate hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Canton Christian Home, 13.22% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. These drugs are sometimes used for treating several medical conditions, including cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Canton Christian Home, 22.35% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure indicates the percentage of long-term care patients taking antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Canton Christian Home, 20% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term care patients showing symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Canton Christian Home, 90.19% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients who were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Canton Christian Home, 15.17% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term patients who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as dressing and using the bathroom. Some would argue that this is a measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Canton Christian Home, 18.5% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of patients who remained mobile levels over time. Preserving mobility is often a good sign for residents' health.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Canton Christian Home, 18.5 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint measures the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Keeping residents out of the hospital during rehabilitation is important to restoring the health of residents.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Canton Christian Home, 74.54% Percentage of Resident
This metric measures the percent of short-term residents that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Some argue this is a reasonable measure of a facility's rehabilitation services.
Scores for Canton, OH
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Canton, Ohio has 9 other nursing homes
- Mercy Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.13 miles away1320 Mercy Drive Nw Canton Ohio 44708Voluntary non-profit - Private(330) 489-1080
- Aultman HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.23 miles away2600 Sixth Street Sw Canton Ohio 44710Voluntary non-profit - Other(330) 363-6352
- Alliance Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.63 miles away200 East State Street Alliance Ohio 44601Voluntary non-profit - Other(330) 596-7018
- Summa Health SystemAcute Care Hospitals 18.5 miles away525 East Market Street Akron Ohio 44309Voluntary non-profit - Private(330) 375-3000
- Akron General Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 19.07 miles away1 Akron General Avenue Akron Ohio 44307Voluntary non-profit - Private(330) 344-6000
- Aultman Orrville HospitalCritical Access Hospitals 19.77 miles away832 South Main Street Orrville Ohio 44667Voluntary non-profit - Private(330) 682-3010
- Davita - Mercy Canton Dialysis1.11 miles away1320 Mercy Drive N W Canton Ohio 44708Dialysis Stations: 18 (330) 580-4001
- Fmc- Stark County Dialysis2.19 miles away2835 Tuscarawas Street West Canton Ohio 44708Dialysis Stations: 17 (330) 456-3997
- Davita Canton Dialysis2.24 miles away2912 W Tuscarawas St Canton Ohio 44708Dialysis Stations: 27 (330) 458-0150
- Davita Belden Community Dialysis3.03 miles away4685 Fulton Road Nw Canton Ohio 44718CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 42 (330) 649-9300
- Davita - Massillon Community Dialysis6 miles away2112 Lincoln Way East Massillon Ohio 44646Dialysis Stations: 13 (330) 837-7730
- Fmc - Massillon Dialysis Center7.42 miles away2474 Lincoln Way East Massillon Ohio 44646Dialysis Stations: 17 (330) 837-2575
- Davita Navarre Dialysis9.96 miles away517 Park St Nw Suite A Navarre Ohio 44662Dialysis Stations: 7 (330) 879-5270
- Kamaka Dialysis LLC10.32 miles away1587 Boettler Rd Suite 130 Uniontown Ohio 44685Dialysis Stations: 14 (330) 899-0035