Canton Christian Home turns out to be one of many available nursing homes at your disposal in Canton, Ohio. We gave it an overall grade of C, which is a middle of the road rating. This nursing home seems to have some things working in its favor. More information on this nursing home's category grades is available below. Its best category was short-term care, which is addressed in the next paragraph.
Canton Christian Home
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
2550 Cleveland Avenue Nw,
Canton OH 44709
70.26% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Top Nursing Home in Ohio Awards 2019
Best Nursing Home in Canton, Ohio Awards 2019
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
This facility received a favorable short-term care score this year. We gave them a strong score in that category, with a B. Our short-term care grade is generally used to assess a facility's performance with rehabilitation. In order to have high-end rehabilitation services, facilities generally must offer better levels of highly skilled nursing services. These types of services include registered nurses, physical therapists, speech therapists and other types of therapists. Fortunately, it looks like this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not all facilities employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, according to the information they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The last item we assessed in this area is the number of residents who were able to leave the facility and return home. We found that 0 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
Long-term Care Quality
Another one of this nursing home's more impressive category scores came in the category of long-term care. In that area, we gave this facility a grade of B. It actually outpaced most facilities in this category. Long-term care scores in this range generally require both around the clock care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine healthcare services. After considering the volume of care provided by nurses, we then analyzed the facility's vaccination statistics. This facility vaccinated 99.54751 percent of its patients against pneumonia, which is an impressive figure. Pneumonia is too frequently a deadly condition for nursing home residents so we strongly prefer when a nursing home does not leave its residents vulnerable. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. It had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Canton Christian Home?
We also awarded this nursing home a grade of B- for our inspections rating. This is a very respectable nursing score. Our inspection ratings account for several factors found on a facility's inspection report. One key criteria we consider is the number and severity of deficiencies. Although this nursing home had some deficiencies on its inspection report, none of them were serious based on CMS' scale. A few minor deficiencies shouldn't lead you to cross a nursing home off your list.
The last category we scored was nursing. This facility was given a grade of C for the area. There are a number of subcategories within this area. Many of these data points are tied to the quantity and quality of nurse staffing. This nursing home averages 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident daily, which is a very low figure. Lastly, despite not having the highest total nursing hours per resident, this facility actually performed admirably in the metric of preventing major falls. This is often an indicator that a place has quality controls in place.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Canton Christian Home Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Canton Christian Home, 7.61% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of residents that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are routinely caused by patients not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Canton Christian Home, 3.74% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of residents that suffered from a fall leading to severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Canton Christian Home, 1.71% of Patients had UTIs
This figure gauges the percent of long-term residents who have experienced urinary tract infections. UTI's could be a sign of a facility with lower levels of hygiene. However, this datapoint could be misleading for certain facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Canton Christian Home, 13.23% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure gauges the percent of long-term patients who were prescribed antipsychotic medication. Increased usage of these drugs may indicate a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior in situations where such drugs are not medically required. However, some facilities need to rely more on these drugs due to having more residents with Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Canton Christian Home, 22.46% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of residents who were prescribed antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety medications are administered to residents experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Canton Christian Home, 20.26% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients who are exhibiting symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Canton Christian Home, 90.12% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Canton Christian Home, 14.88% Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as dressing and taking a bath. Many would argue that this is a measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Canton Christian Home, 16.29% Percentage of Residents
This is the percentage of residents who remained mobile levels over time. Optimizing mobility is often a great sign for residents' well-being.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Canton Christian Home, 16.29 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is typically a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Canton Christian Home, 75.25% Percentage of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percentage of short-term stay residents who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Many believe that this is a measure of a facility's rehabilitation services.
Scores for Canton, OH
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Canton, Ohio has 9 other nursing homes
- Mercy Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.13 miles away1320 Mercy Drive Nw Canton Ohio 44708Voluntary non-profit - Private(330) 489-1080
- Aultman HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.23 miles away2600 Sixth Street Sw Canton Ohio 44710Voluntary non-profit - Other(330) 363-6352
- Alliance Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.63 miles away200 East State Street Alliance Ohio 44601Voluntary non-profit - Other(330) 596-7018
- Summa Health SystemAcute Care Hospitals 18.5 miles away525 East Market Street Akron Ohio 44309Voluntary non-profit - Private(330) 375-3000
- Akron General Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 19.07 miles away1 Akron General Avenue Akron Ohio 44307Voluntary non-profit - Private(330) 344-6000
- Aultman Orrville HospitalCritical Access Hospitals 19.77 miles away832 South Main Street Orrville Ohio 44667Voluntary non-profit - Private(330) 682-3010
- Davita - Mercy Canton Dialysis1.11 miles away1320 Mercy Drive N W Canton Ohio 44708Dialysis Stations: 18 (330) 580-4001
- Fmc- Stark County Dialysis2.19 miles away2835 Tuscarawas Street West Canton Ohio 44708Dialysis Stations: 17 (330) 456-3997
- Davita Canton Dialysis2.24 miles away2912 W Tuscarawas St Canton Ohio 44708Dialysis Stations: 27 (330) 458-0150
- Davita Belden Community Dialysis3.03 miles away4685 Fulton Road Nw Canton Ohio 44718CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 42 (330) 649-9300
- Davita - Massillon Community Dialysis6 miles away2112 Lincoln Way East Massillon Ohio 44646Dialysis Stations: 13 (330) 837-7730
- Fmc - Massillon Dialysis Center7.42 miles away2474 Lincoln Way East Massillon Ohio 44646Dialysis Stations: 17 (330) 837-2575
- Davita Navarre Dialysis9.96 miles away517 Park St Nw Suite A Navarre Ohio 44662Dialysis Stations: 7 (330) 879-5270
- Kamaka Dialysis LLC10.32 miles away1587 Boettler Rd Suite 130 Uniontown Ohio 44685Dialysis Stations: 14 (330) 899-0035