Canterbury Woods Williamsville is a small non-profit facility in Buffalo, New York. We awarded this facility an impressive overall grade of A. This is in a different league than the average nursing home in Buffalo. Based on our analysis, this facility is really as good as it gets. As you can see below, this place performed equally well in our category grades. We give this place two thumbs up!
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Canterbury Woods Williamsville
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Buffalo senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Aquatic Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Top Nursing Home in New York Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
One of the reasons this place turned out to be a quality nursing home is that it earned an A+ in our inspections category. This is just about as good as it gets in this critical category. Inspection ratings are tied to several items located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Places that excel in this area tend to have few deficiencies on those reports. Most importantly, these facilities generally do not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. Although this nursing home had a few deficiencies on its report, none of them were major deficiencies based on CMS' scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
In addition, this facility received superb marks in the category of long-term care. As a result, it was given one of our best grades in that category with a grade of A+. Nursing homes that excel in long-term care tend to provide patients with better supervision and stay on top of routine medical care. After assessing the quantity of care provided by aids and other staff, we turned to the facility's vaccination records. This nursing home vaccinated 96.4539 percent of its residents against pneumonia, which is higher than the vast majority of nursing homes. Finally, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. It had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Canterbury Woods Williamsville?
To complement its strong performance in other areas, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A+ for our inspections rating. There are a host of subcategories within this area. Many of the factors are tied to levels of nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This nursing home performed very well in the area of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Short-term Care Quality
Turning to our fourth area, this nursing home was awarded a highly favorable short-term care rating. We gave it an A- in this category, giving this facility straight A's. In our short-term care grade, we endeavor to create a meaningful gauge for rehabilitation. In this process, we assess the facility's offerings of highly-skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as respiratory therapy. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like this nursing home submitted information about its staffing of registered nurses or physical therapists. The final datapoint we looked at in this area is the percentage of patients that ultimately returned home from the facility. We found that 0 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home as opposed to remaining at the nursing home on a permanent basis.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Canterbury Woods Williamsville Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Canterbury Woods Williamsville, 9.18% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of patients that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, also called bed sores, are often caused by patients not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Canterbury Woods Williamsville, 3.11% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of residents who suffered from a major fall. Falls leading to severe injury are often linked to lower quality nursing care. More supervision reduces the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Canterbury Woods Williamsville, 2.03% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of patients who suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care . UTI's are routinely caused by a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this metric can also be misleading for certain facilities due to varying reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Canterbury Woods Williamsville, 12.22% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of patients who were given antipsychotic drugs. These drugs are used for treating a variety of medical conditions, such as dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Canterbury Woods Williamsville, 13.51% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric is an indication of the percent of long-term patients receiving antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Canterbury Woods Williamsville, 13.75% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term residents who are demonstrating symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Canterbury Woods Williamsville, 90.38% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term care patients who have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for seniors, making these types of vaccines critical to patient care.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Canterbury Woods Williamsville, 15.3% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term patients who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as dressing and eating.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Canterbury Woods Williamsville, 14.12% Percentage of Residents
This metric measures the percent of long-term stay patients who maintained mobility. Some would argue that the ability to move around is important for patients well-being.
In Canterbury Woods Williamsville, 1.46 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of care. There is a correlation between staying out of the hospital and the overall quality of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Canterbury Woods Williamsville, 14.12 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Canterbury Woods Williamsville, 9.74 Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Canterbury Woods Williamsville, 75.23% Percentage of Resident
This is the percent of short-term stay patients who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Higher levels of autonomy with activities of daily living typically correlates with successful rehabilitation.
Scores for Buffalo, NY
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Buffalo, New York has 5 other nursing homes
- Erie County Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.22 miles away462 Grider Street Buffalo New York 14215Voluntary non-profit - Private(716) 898-3936
- Kenmore Mercy HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.93 miles away2950 Elmwood Avenue Buffalo New York 14217Voluntary non-profit - Church(716) 447-6100
- Sisters of Charity HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.94 miles away2157 Main Street Buffalo New York 14214Voluntary non-profit - Private(716) 862-1000
- Kaleida HealthAcute Care Hospitals 9.82 miles away100 High Street Buffalo New York 14210Voluntary non-profit - Private(716) 859-8620
- Mercy Hospital of BuffaloAcute Care Hospitals 11.31 miles away565 Abbott Road Buffalo New York 14220Voluntary non-profit - Private(716) 826-7000
- Western Ny Childrens Psychiatric CenterPsychiatric 11.89 miles away1010 East & West Road Buffalo New York 14224Government - State(716) 677-7000
- Eastern Niagara HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.82 miles away521 East Avenue Lockport New York 14094Voluntary non-profit - Private(716) 514-5700
- Niagara Falls Memorial Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 17.7 miles away621 Tenth Street Niagara Falls New York 14302Voluntary non-profit - Other(716) 278-4000
- Us Renal Care Williamsville Dialysis0.13 miles away7964 Transit Road, Suite 8-A Buffalo New York 14221Dialysis Stations: 13 (716) 634-1841
- Davita Suburban Dialysis1.97 miles away705 Maple Road Suite 600 Buffalo New York 14221CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (716) 630-6640
- Pure Life Renal of Buffalo Inc.2.12 miles away6010 Main Street Buffalo New York 14221Dialysis Stations: 25 (716) 631-4700
- Us Renal Care Amherst Dialysis5.34 miles away2880, Sheridan Dr Tonawanda New York 14150Dialysis Stations: 13 (716) 541-9165
- Davita Cleve Hill Dialysis Center5.5 miles away1461 Kensington Avenue Buffalo New York 14215CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (716) 831-8892
- Us Renal Care Tonawanda Dialysis6.4 miles away3161 Eggert Road Tonawanda New York 14150CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 13 (716) 832-0159
- Erie County Medical Center7.38 miles away462 Grider Street Dialysis Unit Buffalo New York 14215Dialysis Stations: 36 (716) 898-1400
- Us Renal Care Cheektowaga Dialysis7.53 miles away2875 Union Road, Suite 13 C/D Buffalo New York 14227CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 13 (716) 684-0276