Canterbury Villa of Alliance is located in Alliance, Ohio. Sporting an overall score of C, this looks like a middle of the road facility. Based on our ratings, this place likely wouldn't be a bad choice. This place did not fare well in every category we looked at, but it did not receive any rock-bottom grades either. Additional information about these categories is available below.
Canterbury Villa of Alliance
Updated May 1, 2022 by Sara Levinsohn
1785 Freshley Avenue,
Alliance OH 44601
91.7% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to being a respectable nursing home overall, this facility really excelled in the category of inspections, where it received an A+. Few facilities performed better in this area. These inspection scores weigh several factors, including deficiencies and substantiated complaints. You can learn more about each of these items by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. While this facility had a few minor dings on its inspection report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are those found in categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This means the inspectors didn't deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. A couple minor deficiencies should not lead you to cross a nursing home off your list.
Short-term Care Quality
This facility's second best area ended up being its short-term care grade, where it received a grade of B-. Our short-term care ratings are based on the nursing home's quantity of skilled highly skilled professionals. This includes a broad range of services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, not to mention other types of therapy. Unfortunately, this nursing home was below average in terms of its quantity of physical therapy and registered nurse hours provided to its residents based on the metrics we assessed. Lastly, we considered the number of residents that who were able to eventually return home from this nursing home and discovered this was this facility's strongest datapoint within this category. We found that it fared well in this area with 62.8 percent of its residents returning home. Most facilities are below 50 percent in this statistic.
Does this page answer your questions about Canterbury Villa of Alliance?
Long-term Care Quality
We awarded this nursing home a grade of just D for our long-term care score. This is not a score to write home about. For prospective residents seeking a permanent residence as opposed to skilled nursing, long-term care grades are very important. On top of looking at the volume of care provided by nurses and other staff, we looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. Thankfully, this facility administered the vaccine to 95.98214 percent of its patients, which is an above average datapoint. Surprisingly, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. With just 1.62 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, this facility has fewer hospitalizations than the majority of nursing homes. Unfortunately, some of its other scores in the category were not as favorable as these.
The last area we looked at was nursing, which turned out to be this facility's worst area. We gave this nursing home a D in that category. Our nursing rating looks at the facility's level of nurse staffing. We factor in both the levels of training of those nurses as well as the number of hours spent with patients. This place averaged a meager 3.2 hours of nursing care per patient daily. This figure is far below average. In addition to receiving below average scores for nursing hours, this place was less impressive in some of the quality-based metrics we looked at in calculating our nursing grades. We looked at the percent of patients experiencing pressure ulcers and found that this place was at approximately 1.5 times the national average in this statistic.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Canterbury Villa of Alliance Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Canterbury Villa of Alliance, 7.8% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric indicates the percent of long-term patients that developed new or worsened pressure ulcers. Many experts believe that pressure ulcers are a solid indicator of nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Canterbury Villa of Alliance, 3.62% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term care residents who experienced falls resulting in severe injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but high rates of falls resulting in injuries could be an indicator of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Canterbury Villa of Alliance, 1.75% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of residents that suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered to be a barometer of nursing care . UTI's are often caused by worse hygiene protocols. However, this statistic could also be misleading for certain facilities due to varying reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Canterbury Villa of Alliance, 12.79% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of patients given antipsychotic drugs. These medications are sometimes used for treating a variety of medical conditions, including Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Canterbury Villa of Alliance, 22.34% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of patients who were prescribed antianxiety drugs. These medications are commonly used to treat patients suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Canterbury Villa of Alliance, 19.84% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term stay patients who are demonstrating signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Canterbury Villa of Alliance, 90.11% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Canterbury Villa of Alliance, 15.05% Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term care patients who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as taking medications and bathing.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Canterbury Villa of Alliance, 18.59% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percentage of patients who retained mobility levels over time. Retaining mobility is often a good sign for residents' health.
In Canterbury Villa of Alliance, 1.39 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
Measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Canterbury Villa of Alliance, 18.59 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care. Staying out of the hospital during rehabilitation is important to restoring the health of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Canterbury Villa of Alliance, 11.79 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Canterbury Villa of Alliance, 74.53% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint measures the percent of short-term stay patients who saw functional improvements.
Scores for Alliance, OH
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Alliance, Ohio has 4 other nursing homes
- Alliance Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.67 miles away200 East State Street Alliance Ohio 44601Voluntary non-profit - Other(330) 596-7018
- Mercy Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 14.22 miles away1320 Mercy Drive Nw Canton Ohio 44708Voluntary non-profit - Private(330) 489-1080
- Aultman HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.03 miles away2600 Sixth Street Sw Canton Ohio 44710Voluntary non-profit - Other(330) 363-6352
- Salem Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 16.7 miles away1995 East State Street Salem Ohio 44460Voluntary non-profit - Private(330) 332-1551
- University Hospitals Portage Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 19.48 miles away6847 N Chestnut Ravenna Ohio 44266Voluntary non-profit - Private(330) 297-2300
- Davita - Alliance Community Dialysis2.71 miles away270 E State Street, Suite 110 Alliance Ohio 44601CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (330) 821-1657
- Davita - Mercy Canton Dialysis14.18 miles away1320 Mercy Drive N W Canton Ohio 44708Dialysis Stations: 18 (330) 580-4001
- Fmc- Stark County Dialysis15.1 miles away2835 Tuscarawas Street West Canton Ohio 44708Dialysis Stations: 17 (330) 456-3997
- Davita Canton Dialysis15.15 miles away2912 W Tuscarawas St Canton Ohio 44708Dialysis Stations: 27 (330) 458-0150
- Davita Belden Community Dialysis15.33 miles away4685 Fulton Road Nw Canton Ohio 44718CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 42 (330) 649-9300
- Kamaka Dialysis LLC16.86 miles away1587 Boettler Rd Suite 130 Uniontown Ohio 44685Dialysis Stations: 14 (330) 899-0035
- Fmc - Salem South16.87 miles away2345 East Pershing Street Salem Ohio 44460CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (330) 332-2958
- Fmc - Akron Canton Kidney Center17.02 miles away1565 Corporate Woods Pkwy Uniontown Ohio 44685Dialysis Stations: 25 (330) 896-6311