Canterbury on the Lake is a large non-profit nursing home located in Waterford, Michigan. Sporting an overall score of D, this is a lower end facility. This nursing home seems to have very little going for it. The best thing we can say about this nursing home is that it didn't receive any F's in in any of the major categories. More information about these categories can be found below.
Canterbury on the Lake
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
Note: Canterbury on the Lake has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Aquatic Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
While this facility's overall grade is not a highlight, it actually received a somewhat respectable grade in the area of inspections. We awarded it a B- for that area, which is not bad. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in calculating these inspection scores. One critical factor is health deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of these deficiencies is usually more meaningful than the number of deficiencies, as some of these end up being quite insignificant. Although this place had a few deficiencies on its inspection report, none of them were severe based on CMS' scale. Finally, CMS flagged this nursing home for possible abuse or neglect. This is not what you want to see. We advise you to direct your search elsewhere.
One of the other reasons we rated this nursing home so highly is that it earned a very impressive nursing score. In that category, we gave this facility an B-. There are a number of factors within this area. Most of these subcategories relate to nurse staffing. This facility provides only 0.5 hours of nursing care per patient on a daily basis. This is a somewhat uninspiring figure as it is well below the national average. Finally, despite not having the most impressive total nursing hours per resident, this place performed admirably in the metric of preventing major falls. This is often an indicator that a facility has sufficient quality controls in place.
Does this page answer your questions about Canterbury on the Lake?
Short-term Care Quality
This facility's next most favorable category was short-term care. In that category, we awarded this facility a B-. With our short-term care grade, we attempt to create a valuable barometer for rehabilitation services. In this process, we assess a nursing home's level of skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as speech therapy. Unfortunately, this place was below average in terms of its quantity of registered nurse and physical therapy hours provided to its patients based on the measures we assessed. The important question is whether this also impacted quality of care. Finally, we assessed the number of patients who eventually returned home from this facility. We found that 6 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home. This figure was actually quite a bit below the national average.
Long-term Care Quality
The last area we looked at is long-term care. We awarded it a grade of C in this category. This is a perfectly acceptable grade in this category. For residents seeking a permanent residence rather than rehabilitation, long-term care grades are a key measure. On top of assessing the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility gave the vaccine to 99.23955 percent of its patients, which is better than most nursing homes. This nursing home keeps its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0.03 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Canterbury on the Lake Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Canterbury on the Lake, 8.85% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric measures the percent of long-term residents who have new or worsened pressure ulcers . We use this statistic in calculating both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Canterbury on the Lake, 2.88% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of patients who have had a major fall. Falls resulting in severe injuries are considered by many experts to be a measure of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Falls are routinely the result of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Canterbury on the Lake, 2.36% of Patients had UTIs
This metric indicates the percent of long-term patients which sustained urinary tract infections. While more of these infections could reflect poorly on a facility's hygiene protocols, it is difficult to compare between nursing homes due to facilities having inconsistent reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Canterbury on the Lake, 13.01% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of residents prescribed antipsychotic medications. These medications may be used for treating several conditions, including dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Canterbury on the Lake, 18.73% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of patients who were prescribed antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety drugs are prescribed to residents suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Canterbury on the Lake, 3.47% of Patients
This is the percent of patients who are exhibiting depressive symptoms. High rates of depression may be an indicator worse patient care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Canterbury on the Lake, 91.4% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents who were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Canterbury on the Lake, 12.4% Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as dressing and continence. Some would argue that this is a reasonable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Canterbury on the Lake, 19.67% Percentage of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients who retained mobility levels.
In Canterbury on the Lake, 1.35 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Canterbury on the Lake, 19.67 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Canterbury on the Lake, 10.71 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is typically a correlation between having fewer emergency room visits and the quality of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Canterbury on the Lake, 76.5% Percentage of Resident
This is a measure of the percent of short-term residents who experienced functional improvements.
- Mclaren OaklandAcute Care Hospitals 6.01 miles away50 N Perry St Pontiac Michigan 48342Voluntary non-profit - Private(248) 338-5000
- St Joseph Mercy OaklandAcute Care Hospitals 7.5 miles away44405 Woodward Ave Pontiac Michigan 48341Voluntary non-profit - Private(248) 858-3000
- Henry Ford West Bloomfield HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.27 miles away6777 West Maple Road West Bloomfield Michigan 48322Voluntary non-profit - Private(248) 325-1000
- Ascension Providence Rochester HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.65 miles away1101 W University Drive Rochester Michigan 48307Voluntary non-profit - Private(248) 652-5000
- Beaumont Hospital, Royal OakAcute Care Hospitals 15.07 miles away3601 W Thirteen Mile Rd Royal Oak Michigan 48073Voluntary non-profit - Private(248) 898-5000
- Beaumont Hospital - Farmington HillsAcute Care Hospitals 16.45 miles away28050 Grand River Avenue Farmington Michigan 48336Voluntary non-profit - Private(248) 471-8000
- Ascension Providence HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 17.85 miles away16001 W Nine Mile Rd Southfield Michigan 48075Voluntary non-profit - Church(248) 849-3011
- St Mary Mercy HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 19.31 miles away36475 Five Mile Road Livonia Michigan 48154Voluntary non-profit - Private(734) 655-4800
- Clarkston Dialysis of Davita3.54 miles away6770 Dixie Hwy Ste 205 Clarkston Michigan 48346Dialysis Stations: 22 (248) 620-0958
- Davita - North Oakland Dialysis5.14 miles away450 N Telegraph Rd Ste 600 Pontiac Michigan 48341CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (248) 333-2230
- Commerce Township Dialysis of Davita6.61 miles away120 W Commerce Rd Commerce Township Michigan 48382Dialysis Stations: 12 (248) 363-4862
- Greenfield Hs - Pontiac7.63 miles away44200 Woodward Ave Ste 109 Pontiac Michigan 48341CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (248) 322-7253
- Davita - Orchard Square Dialysis8.05 miles away1900 S Telegraph Rd Ste 200 Bloomfield Hills Michigan 48302Dialysis Stations: 20 (248) 451-0954
- Davita West Bloomfield Dialysis9.57 miles away6010 W Maple Rd Ste 215 West Bloomfield Michigan 48322Dialysis Stations: 10 (248) 539-1025
- Rochester Hills Dialysis of Davita11.98 miles away1886 W Auburn Rd Suite 100 Rochester Michigan 48309CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (248) 299-7901
- Fms Rochester Hills, LLC12.2 miles away1406 Walton Blvd Rochester Michigan 48309Dialysis Stations: 13 (248) 608-5455