Canterbury on the Lake is a large non-profit nursing home located in Waterford, Michigan. Sporting an overall score of D, this is a lower end facility. This nursing home seems to have very little going for it. The best thing we can say about this nursing home is that it didn't receive any F's in in any of the major categories. More information about these categories can be found below.
Canterbury on the Lake
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
5601 Hatchery Rd,
Waterford MI 48329
72.96% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Aquatic Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
While this facility's overall grade is not a highlight, it actually received a somewhat respectable grade in the area of inspections. We awarded it a B- for that area, which is not bad. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in calculating these inspection scores. One critical factor is health deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of these deficiencies is usually more meaningful than the number of deficiencies, as some of these end up being quite insignificant. Although this place had a few deficiencies on its inspection report, none of them were severe based on CMS' scale. A couple minor deficiencies aren't the end of the world.
Short-term Care Quality
One of this nursing home's more respectable category scores was in the area of short-term care. This proved to be its second best category. In that category, we gave this nursing home a B-. In determining our short-term care scores, we assess the facility's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses, respiratory therapists, physical therapists and other types of therapists. Our objective is to devise a scale for sizing up the rehabilitation services of various facilities. Unfortunately, we found that this nursing home provided fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than most other nursing homes. The more important thing is determining what bearing this had on quality of care. The final metric we looked at in this area is the number of patients who were able to leave the nursing home and return to the community. We discovered that just 5.9 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home, which is actually below average.
Does this page answer your questions about Canterbury on the Lake?
Long-term Care Quality
The next category we assessed is long-term care. In that area, we gave this facility a decent grade of C. In determining our long-term care scores, we scrutinize the assistance with daily living offered to the facility's residents. On top of assessing the quantity of care provided by aids and other staff, we looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. Fortunately, this nursing home administered the vaccine to 98.09886 percent of its patients, which is a very respectable figure. This place also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0.03 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
The last category we graded is nursing, which is this nursing home's worst area. We gave this facility a grade of D in this area. Nursing grades are largely based on the facility's nurse staffing. This facility provided just 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a very low total compared to most nursing homes. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This place fared well when it comes to minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Canterbury on the Lake Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Canterbury on the Lake, 8.78% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of residents who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin resulting from staying in the same position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Canterbury on the Lake, 2.9% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric is an indication of the percent of long-term stay patients which experienced a fall which caused severe injury. This is one of the statistics we use in determining our nursing scores.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Canterbury on the Lake, 2.36% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of residents that suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are often caused by facilities with worst hygiene practices. Better hygiene protocols reduces the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. Note that this statistic is sometimes skewed by the fact that facilities have incongruent reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Canterbury on the Lake, 13.11% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint tells you the percent of long-term stay patients receiving antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications serve an important medical purpose, it is important to ensure these drugs are being used only where medically required. In some situations, excessive reliance on these medications may indicate a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Canterbury on the Lake, 18.81% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint indicates the percentage of long-term patients taking antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Canterbury on the Lake, 3.44% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term stay residents exhibiting symptoms of depression. Some experts would argue that this is a reasonable measure of patient quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Canterbury on the Lake, 91.43% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term care patients that received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for nursing home residents, making these types of vaccines vital to patient safety.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Canterbury on the Lake, 12.1% Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term residents who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as moving around and continence. Many in the industry would argue that this is a reasonable measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Canterbury on the Lake, 17.7% Percentage of Residents
This metric tracks the percent of long-term care patients that maintained mobility.
In Canterbury on the Lake, 1.47 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. Staying out of the hospital is key to preserving the physical well-being of patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Canterbury on the Lake, 17.7 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Canterbury on the Lake, 10.81 Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Canterbury on the Lake, 77.3% Percentage of Resident
Measures the percent of short-term care patients who saw functional improvements.
- Mclaren OaklandAcute Care Hospitals 6.01 miles away50 N Perry St Pontiac Michigan 48342Voluntary non-profit - Private(248) 338-5000
- St Joseph Mercy OaklandAcute Care Hospitals 7.5 miles away44405 Woodward Ave Pontiac Michigan 48341Voluntary non-profit - Private(248) 858-3000
- Henry Ford West Bloomfield HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.27 miles away6777 West Maple Road West Bloomfield Michigan 48322Voluntary non-profit - Private(248) 325-1000
- Ascension Providence Rochester HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.65 miles away1101 W University Drive Rochester Michigan 48307Voluntary non-profit - Private(248) 652-5000
- Beaumont Hospital, Royal OakAcute Care Hospitals 15.07 miles away3601 W Thirteen Mile Rd Royal Oak Michigan 48073Voluntary non-profit - Private(248) 898-5000
- Beaumont Hospital - Farmington HillsAcute Care Hospitals 16.45 miles away28050 Grand River Avenue Farmington Michigan 48336Voluntary non-profit - Private(248) 471-8000
- Ascension Providence HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 17.85 miles away16001 W Nine Mile Rd Southfield Michigan 48075Voluntary non-profit - Church(248) 849-3011
- St Mary Mercy HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 19.31 miles away36475 Five Mile Road Livonia Michigan 48154Voluntary non-profit - Private(734) 655-4800
- Clarkston Dialysis of Davita3.54 miles away6770 Dixie Hwy Ste 205 Clarkston Michigan 48346Dialysis Stations: 22 (248) 620-0958
- Davita - North Oakland Dialysis5.14 miles away450 N Telegraph Rd Ste 600 Pontiac Michigan 48341CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (248) 333-2230
- Commerce Township Dialysis of Davita6.61 miles away120 W Commerce Rd Commerce Township Michigan 48382Dialysis Stations: 12 (248) 363-4862
- Greenfield Hs - Pontiac7.63 miles away44200 Woodward Ave Ste 109 Pontiac Michigan 48341CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (248) 322-7253
- Davita - Orchard Square Dialysis8.05 miles away1900 S Telegraph Rd Ste 200 Bloomfield Hills Michigan 48302Dialysis Stations: 20 (248) 451-0954
- Davita West Bloomfield Dialysis9.57 miles away6010 W Maple Rd Ste 215 West Bloomfield Michigan 48322Dialysis Stations: 10 (248) 539-1025
- Rochester Hills Dialysis of Davita11.98 miles away1886 W Auburn Rd Suite 100 Rochester Michigan 48309CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (248) 299-7901
- Fms Rochester Hills, LLC12.2 miles away1406 Walton Blvd Rochester Michigan 48309Dialysis Stations: 13 (248) 608-5455