Canterbury on the Lake is located in Waterford, Michigan. The city has a total of 71,528 people. Sporting an overall grade of C, this appears to be a respectable facility. Based on all of the relevant data, there are certainly far worse places out there. This facility didn't excel in every category we looked at, but it did not receive any terrible grades either. More information about these categories can be found below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Canterbury on the Lake
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Waterford senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Aquatic Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
It should also be noted that this facility's short-term care score outpaced its overall score. We gave it a B for its short-term care grade. In crafting these short-term care grades, we look at the nursing home's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses, speech therapists, physical therapists and other types of therapists. Our purpose is to create a measure for sizing up the rehabilitation services of different facilities. It doesn't look like this nursing home provided data regarding its registered nurse or physical therapy staffing. Lastly, we assessed the number of patients that ultimately returned home from this facility. We found that 5.9 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home.
One of the other reasons we graded this facility so highly is that it received a very impressive nursing score. In that area, we awarded this facility an B. Our nursing rating is based on several factors. The most important variable is the number of hours nurses spent with residents. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This facility performed very well in terms of avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Does this page answer your questions about Canterbury on the Lake?
Long-term Care Quality
We also awarded this nursing home a decent grade in the category of long-term care, where we awarded it a C. Our long-term care grade is generally used to assess a nursing home's performance as a traditional convalescent home, as opposed to focusing on the skilled nursing services offered by a rehabilitation facility. One of the datapoints we considered on top of nursing hours is vaccinations. Thankfully, this facility provided the pneumonia vaccination to 95.32374 percent of its patients. Lastly, this place was also able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Unfortunately, this facility did not receive a favorable inspection score. We gave it a grade of just just D in this category. Inspection grades relate to a facility's government inspection reports. We weight poor inspection ratings heavily in our assessment. Since government inspection reports are completed by independent inspectors, we consider this data to be reliable. Our inspection scores account for several factors found on a facility's inspection report. One of the most important criteria we weigh heavily is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. This facility had 6 deficiencies on its inspection report. The only favorable thing we can say is that none of its deficiencies were in the categories that indicate they posed a risk to resident health or safety. Lastly, we want to draw your attention to the fact that this place was assessed significant government fines of over $50,000. This often signifies that government inspectors became frustrated after multiple years of bad government inspections.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Canterbury on the Lake Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Canterbury on the Lake, 8.87% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric is an indication of the percent of long-term stay patients which are suffering from pressure ulcers or bed sores. We consider this statistic when determining both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Canterbury on the Lake, 2.93% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term residents which have suffered falls resulting in serious injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but high rates of falls resulting in injuries may be an indication of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Canterbury on the Lake, 2.23% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of patients that have had a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are often associated with worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this statistic may also be misleading for some facilities due to varying reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Canterbury on the Lake, 13.4% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of residents prescribed antipsychotic drugs. These medications are used for several medical conditions, including cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Canterbury on the Lake, 19.66% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure measures the percentage of long-term care residents who were prescribed antianxiety drugs. These medications are commonly used to treat residents experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Canterbury on the Lake, 3.38% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents who are showing depressive symptoms. High levels of depression could imply a less hospitable environment.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Canterbury on the Lake, 91.02% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term care residents that have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for nursing home residents, making these types of vaccines critical to patient safety.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Canterbury on the Lake, 12.09% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as moving around and bathing.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Canterbury on the Lake, 13.78% Percentage of Residents
This metric measures the percent of long-term patients that maintained mobility.
In Canterbury on the Lake, 1.65 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. Avoiding hospitalizations is critical to the physical health of nursing home patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Canterbury on the Lake, 13.78 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Canterbury on the Lake, 11.28 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care. Staying out of the emergency room is one way to gauge the well-being of patients during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Canterbury on the Lake, 77.57% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percent of short-term residents that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
- Mclaren OaklandAcute Care Hospitals 6.01 miles away50 N Perry St Pontiac Michigan 48342Voluntary non-profit - Private(248) 338-5000
- St Joseph Mercy OaklandAcute Care Hospitals 7.5 miles away44405 Woodward Ave Pontiac Michigan 48341Voluntary non-profit - Private(248) 858-3000
- Henry Ford West Bloomfield HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.27 miles away6777 West Maple Road West Bloomfield Michigan 48322Voluntary non-profit - Private(248) 325-1000
- Ascension Providence Rochester HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.65 miles away1101 W University Drive Rochester Michigan 48307Voluntary non-profit - Private(248) 652-5000
- Beaumont Hospital, Royal OakAcute Care Hospitals 15.07 miles away3601 W Thirteen Mile Rd Royal Oak Michigan 48073Voluntary non-profit - Private(248) 898-5000
- Beaumont Hospital - Farmington HillsAcute Care Hospitals 16.45 miles away28050 Grand River Avenue Farmington Michigan 48336Voluntary non-profit - Private(248) 471-8000
- Ascension Providence HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 17.85 miles away16001 W Nine Mile Rd Southfield Michigan 48075Voluntary non-profit - Church(248) 849-3011
- St Mary Mercy HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 19.31 miles away36475 Five Mile Road Livonia Michigan 48154Voluntary non-profit - Private(734) 655-4800
- Clarkston Dialysis of Davita3.54 miles away6770 Dixie Hwy Ste 205 Clarkston Michigan 48346Dialysis Stations: 22 (248) 620-0958
- Davita - North Oakland Dialysis5.14 miles away450 N Telegraph Rd Ste 600 Pontiac Michigan 48341CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (248) 333-2230
- Commerce Township Dialysis of Davita6.61 miles away120 W Commerce Rd Commerce Township Michigan 48382Dialysis Stations: 12 (248) 363-4862
- Greenfield Hs - Pontiac7.63 miles away44200 Woodward Ave Ste 109 Pontiac Michigan 48341CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (248) 322-7253
- Davita - Orchard Square Dialysis8.05 miles away1900 S Telegraph Rd Ste 200 Bloomfield Hills Michigan 48302Dialysis Stations: 20 (248) 451-0954
- Davita West Bloomfield Dialysis9.57 miles away6010 W Maple Rd Ste 215 West Bloomfield Michigan 48322Dialysis Stations: 10 (248) 539-1025
- Rochester Hills Dialysis of Davita11.98 miles away1886 W Auburn Rd Suite 100 Rochester Michigan 48309CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (248) 299-7901
- Fms Rochester Hills, LLC12.2 miles away1406 Walton Blvd Rochester Michigan 48309Dialysis Stations: 13 (248) 608-5455