Canterbury Nursing and Rehabilitation Center is in Fort Wayne, Indiana. This city is one of the most populated cities in the country with has a population of 305,409 people. With an overall rating of C, this is likely a middle of the pack facility. This grade is right in line with the city grade in Fort Wayne, which admittedly is admittedly a bit below average nationally. The best part of this facility's profile was its stellar inspection grade. Inspection grades are discussed in the next paragraph.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Canterbury Nursing and Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Fort Wayne senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
While this nursing home's overall grade was not bad, it really fared well in the category of inspections. In fact, we awarded it a grade of A for that category, which is one of our highest scores. Arguably the most important factor we consider in calculating our inspection scores is deficiencies. These deficiencies are found on a nursing home's inspection reports. Places with higher grades in this area typically avoided the more severe deficiencies involving things like patient abuse. While this place had some deficiencies on its government inspection report, none were major deficiencies based on CMS' deficiency scale. A couple of minor deficiencies shouldn't stop you from considering a nursing home.
Short-term Care Quality
One of this facility's more respectable category scores came in the category of short-term care. This proved to be its second best category. In that area, we gave this nursing home a grade of B-. In our short-term care assessment, we seek to create a fair gauge for rehabilitation. In this process, we assess a nursing home's levels of highly-skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as respiratory therapy. Unfortunately, we found that this place provided fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per resident than most other facilities. The more important thing is determining what bearing this had on the quality of care. The last item we considered in this area is the number of residents who ultimately returned home from the facility. We found that just 0 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Canterbury Nursing and Rehabilitation Center?
One of this facility's better category grades was in the area of nursing care. In that area, we gave this facility a grade of C. There are several criteria included in this grade. Most of these datapoints reflect levels of nurse staffing. This place provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient each day. This is a lower figure than we were hoping for. Lastly, while this nursing home got docked a bit for nursing hours per resident, it excelled in some of our quality-based metrics. With less than five percent of its residents experiencing pressure ulcers, it performed remarkably well in this subcategory.
Long-term Care Quality
The next category we graded was long-term care. Unfortunately, we gave it an F for this area, which is an abysmal score. This is obviously a significant concern. When facilities receive a score in this range in long-term care it generally means the facility didn't perform well in our measures relating to patient care. In addition to considering the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility gave the vaccine to 79.420296 percent of its patients. This is pretty significantly less than the national average. Surprisingly, this facility was actually able to limit hospitalizations. With just 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, this nursing home had less hospitalizations than most nursing homes. This is its best score in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Canterbury Nursing and Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Canterbury Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 7.36% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of patients that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are routinely the result of residents not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing care can reduce the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Canterbury Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 4.17% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is a measure of the percent of long-term patients who had falls which caused serious injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but high rates of falls resulting in injuries could be an indication of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Canterbury Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 1.69% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of patients who suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections are sometimes associated with poor hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Canterbury Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 13.33% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents who were prescribed antipsychotic medications. These medications may be used to treat several conditions, such as Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Canterbury Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 22.6% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents who were prescribed antianxiety medications. These medications are used to treat residents experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Canterbury Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 14.48% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term care patients showing depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Canterbury Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 91.03% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term residents that were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for seniors, making these vaccines critical to patient care.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Canterbury Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 15.46% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Canterbury Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 12.91% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percentage of residents who remained mobile levels over time. Optimizing mobility can be a good sign for residents' health.
In Canterbury Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 1.53 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
Measures the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care. Staying out of the hospital is key to preserving the physical well-being of patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Canterbury Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 12.91 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Canterbury Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 12.43 Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Canterbury Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 73.74% Percentage of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percentage of short-term stay patients who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Many would argue this is a reliable measure of a facility's rehabilitation performance.
Scores for Fort Wayne, IN
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Fort Wayne, Indiana has 11 other nursing homes
- Dupont Hospital LLCAcute Care Hospitals 3.43 miles away2520 E Dupont Rd Fort Wayne Indiana 46825Proprietary(260) 416-3000
- Parkview Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4 miles away11109 Parkview Plaza Drive Fort Wayne Indiana 46845Voluntary non-profit - Private(260) 266-1000
- Orthopaedic Hospital at Parkview North LLCAcute Care Hospitals 4.1 miles away11130 Parkview Circle Dr Fort Wayne Indiana 46845Voluntary non-profit - Private(260) 672-4050
- St Joseph HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.26 miles away700 Broadway Fort Wayne Indiana 46802Proprietary(260) 425-3000
- Lutheran Hospital of IndianaAcute Care Hospitals 9.84 miles away7950 W Jefferson Blvd Fort Wayne Indiana 46804Proprietary(260) 435-7001
- Dekalb HealthAcute Care Hospitals 16.9 miles away1316 E Seventh St Auburn Indiana 46706Voluntary non-profit - Private(260) 925-4600
- Parkview Whitley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 18.98 miles away1260 E Sr 205 Columbia City Indiana 46725Voluntary non-profit - Private(260) 248-9301
- Davita - Summit City Dialysis1.43 miles away3233 East Coliseum Blvd. Fort Wayne Indiana 46805CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (260) 373-1599
- Fmc - Dupont Dialysis3.29 miles away10204 East Dupont Circle Drive Fort Wayne Indiana 46825CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (260) 489-9255
- Davita-Fort Wayne North Dialysis3.9 miles away415 E Dupont Road Fort Wayne Indiana 46825Dialysis Stations: 13 (260) 637-0431
- Davita - Fort Wayne South6.49 miles away302 E. Pettit Ave. Fort Wayne Indiana 46806CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (260) 456-0451
- Davita - Fort Wayne West6.57 miles away4916 Illinois Road, Suite 118 Fort Wayne Indiana 46804Dialysis Stations: 14 (260) 434-0483
- Fmc - Canal Dialysis6.92 miles away1308 Minnich Road New Haven Indiana 46774Dialysis Stations: 12 (260) 749-1004
- Davita - Appleseed7.52 miles away1833 Magnavox Way Fort Wayne Indiana 46804Dialysis Stations: 4 (260) 432-1036
- Randolph Dialysis, LLC8.34 miles away6721 Old Trail Road Fort Wayne Indiana 46809Dialysis Stations: 12 (260) 478-8582