Canterbury Nursing and Rehabilitation Center is in Fort Wayne, Indiana. This city is one of the most populated cities in the country with has a population of 305,409 people. With an overall rating of B, this facility is a quality option. If you take a look at the other options in Fort Wayne, we are confident you will find this place to be a better option than most facilities in the city. Fortunately, this place didn't have any weak links in any of the major categories discussed below. Additional information about its category grades can be found below.
Canterbury Nursing and Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Government - County
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
To go along with its strong overall grade, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A for our inspections rating. Our inspection grades account for a host of factors found on a facility's inspection report. One of the most important criteria we look at is the number and severity of deficiencies. Facilities with better grades in this category generally have very few severe deficiencies. This place received 8 deficiencies on its inspection report, but fortunately none were considered severe. This means that the inspectors didn't deem any of these deficiencies to pose an imminent threat to resident safety or health. The fact that the deficiencies were relatively minor leaves us less concerned with this inspection report.
One of the other reasons we rated this nursing home so highly is that it earned a very impressive nursing rating. In that area, we gave this facility an B+. There are a number of subcategories included in this grade. Most of the datapoints reflect the quantity of nurse staffing. This nursing home averages 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality measures and this facility excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any place the state in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can many times be prevented by providing better nursing care, such as by having a protocol of moving a patient at least once a day.
Does this page answer your questions about Canterbury Nursing and Rehabilitation Center?
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home's next highest area ended up being its short-term care score, where it was given a grade of B-. In the area of short-term care, we endeavor to assess indicators of a facility's rehabilitation. We look at a facility's skilled nursing services, including the ones performed by registered nurses and physical and occupational therapists. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not all facilities employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, according to the data they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Lastly, we looked at the number of residents who returned home from this facility. We found that 0 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home. This figure was quite a bit below average.
Long-term Care Quality
The final area we rated was long-term care. This facility was given a grade of C for the area. Long-term care ratings are based in part on a facility's amount of nursing services. This includes a broad range of personal care services, ranging from assistance with activities of daily living to routine medical services. Once we finished looking at the volume of care provided by nurses, we next considered the facility's vaccination data. Frankly, we were a bit concerned this nursing home vaccinated only 83.76811 percent of its residents for pneumonia. Nevertheless, this facility excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Canterbury Nursing and Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Canterbury Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 7.44% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents who developed pressure ulcers . We bake this statistic into both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Canterbury Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 3.93% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is a measure of the percent of long-term patients who had falls which caused serious injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but high rates of falls resulting in injuries could be an indication of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Canterbury Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 1.87% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of patients who suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections are sometimes associated with poor hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Canterbury Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 13.18% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents who were prescribed antipsychotic medications. These medications may be used to treat several conditions, such as Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Canterbury Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 21.77% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents who were prescribed antianxiety medications. These medications are used to treat residents experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Canterbury Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 12.89% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term care patients showing depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Canterbury Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 91.48% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term residents that were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for seniors, making these vaccines critical to patient care.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Canterbury Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 15.74% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Canterbury Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 15.7% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percentage of residents who remained mobile levels over time. Optimizing mobility can be a good sign for residents' health.
In Canterbury Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 1.46 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
Measures the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care. Staying out of the hospital is key to preserving the physical well-being of patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Canterbury Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 15.7 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Canterbury Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 11.29 Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Canterbury Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 73.78% Percentage of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percentage of short-term stay patients who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Many would argue this is a reliable measure of a facility's rehabilitation performance.
Scores for Fort Wayne, IN
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Fort Wayne, Indiana has 25 other nursing homes
- Dupont Hospital LLCAcute Care Hospitals 3.43 miles away2520 E Dupont Rd Fort Wayne Indiana 46825Proprietary(260) 416-3000
- Parkview Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4 miles away11109 Parkview Plaza Drive Fort Wayne Indiana 46845Voluntary non-profit - Private(260) 266-1000
- Orthopaedic Hospital at Parkview North LLCAcute Care Hospitals 4.1 miles away11130 Parkview Circle Dr Fort Wayne Indiana 46845Voluntary non-profit - Private(260) 672-4050
- St Joseph HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.26 miles away700 Broadway Fort Wayne Indiana 46802Proprietary(260) 425-3000
- Lutheran Hospital of IndianaAcute Care Hospitals 9.84 miles away7950 W Jefferson Blvd Fort Wayne Indiana 46804Proprietary(260) 435-7001
- Dekalb HealthAcute Care Hospitals 16.9 miles away1316 E Seventh St Auburn Indiana 46706Voluntary non-profit - Private(260) 925-4600
- Parkview Whitley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 18.98 miles away1260 E Sr 205 Columbia City Indiana 46725Voluntary non-profit - Private(260) 248-9301
- Davita - Summit City Dialysis1.43 miles away3233 East Coliseum Blvd. Fort Wayne Indiana 46805CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (260) 373-1599
- Fmc - Dupont Dialysis3.29 miles away10204 East Dupont Circle Drive Fort Wayne Indiana 46825CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (260) 489-9255
- Davita-Fort Wayne North Dialysis3.9 miles away415 E Dupont Road Fort Wayne Indiana 46825Dialysis Stations: 13 (260) 637-0431
- Davita - Fort Wayne South6.49 miles away302 E. Pettit Ave. Fort Wayne Indiana 46806CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (260) 456-0451
- Davita - Fort Wayne West6.57 miles away4916 Illinois Road, Suite 118 Fort Wayne Indiana 46804Dialysis Stations: 14 (260) 434-0483
- Fmc - Canal Dialysis6.92 miles away1308 Minnich Road New Haven Indiana 46774Dialysis Stations: 12 (260) 749-1004
- Davita - Appleseed7.52 miles away1833 Magnavox Way Fort Wayne Indiana 46804Dialysis Stations: 4 (260) 432-1036
- Randolph Dialysis, LLC8.34 miles away6721 Old Trail Road Fort Wayne Indiana 46809Dialysis Stations: 12 (260) 478-8582