Canterbury at Cedar Grove is a large nursing home located in Cedar Grove, New Jersey. This nursing home was awarded an overall grade of C, which is a decent score. This place seems to have some things going for it. The best part of this place's report card was is its inspection score. Inspection reports are discussed in the next section.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Canterbury at Cedar Grove
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Cedar Grove senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Individual
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Meal Delivery
- Home Making
- Dialysis Transportation
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
The main reason this nursing home received a decent overall score is its impeccable government inspections in recent years. We gave them one of our better scores in that area, with an A-. This is a much better score than the facility's overall grade, which was decent but certainly not elite. Our inspection grades are tied to several datapoints located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Places that excel in this area tend to have few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these facilities generally do not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with risks to patient safety. Fortunately, although this nursing home had some minor dings on its report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are those found in categories G through L. This means that the inspectors did not consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. A couple minor deficiencies shouldn't lead you to cross a nursing home off your list.
This nursing home earned high grades in the area of nursing as well. It received one of our highest grades in that category with a score of C. Our nursing score is largely tied to the nursing home's level of nurse staffing. This place provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a lower figure than we are used to seeing. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this place surprisingly fared better in some of the quality-based metrics we looked at. It performed well when it comes to minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls.
Does this page answer your questions about Canterbury at Cedar Grove?
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home was given its third highest category grade in the category of long-term care. We gave this facility a C in this area, which is a decent grade. For residents looking for a permanent place to live as opposed to skilled nursing, long-term care is a very important category. After considering the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we then looked at the facility's vaccination record. Unfortunately, this nursing home vaccinated only 50 percent of its patients for pneumonia. Fortunately, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Short-term Care Quality
The final category we assessed was short-term care, which proved to be a low point for this facility. We gave this facility a D in our short-term care category. In computing these short-term care scores, we quantify the facility's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses, respiratory therapists, physical therapists and other types of skilled professionals. The purpose is to create a tool for comparing the rehabilitation services of nursing homes. With a grade this poor in this category, we weren't surprised to find this place was well below average in two of the key staffing areas we looked at. It offered far fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per patient than most facilities. The final item we looked at in this area is the number of patients who who were able to eventually return home from the facility. This nursing home struggled quite a bit in this metric as well, with just 4.5 percent of its patients returning home. This was well below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Canterbury at Cedar Grove Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Canterbury at Cedar Grove, 8.94% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of residents that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin resulting from remaining in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Canterbury at Cedar Grove, 2.79% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of patients that sustained a major fall. Falls resulting in major injuries are considered to be a barometer of nursing care . Falls resulting in injury are often caused by lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Canterbury at Cedar Grove, 1.44% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic tells you the percentage of long-term residents which sustained UTI's. UTI's could be a sign of a facility with worst hygiene practices. Nevertheless, this metric may also be skewed for certain nursing homes due to varying reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Canterbury at Cedar Grove, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents who are prescribed antipsychotic drugs. High levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate that a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents in scenarios where such drugs are not medically required. Nevertheless, some facilities may need to rely on these drugs due to an increased number of residents with Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Canterbury at Cedar Grove, 17.29% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of residents who were prescribed antianxiety drugs. These drugs are commonly prescribed to patients experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Canterbury at Cedar Grove, 6.37% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients demonstrating depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Canterbury at Cedar Grove, 89.73% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients that were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Canterbury at Cedar Grove, 10.05% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of residents that required more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Canterbury at Cedar Grove, 10.04% Percentage of Residents
Measures the percent of long-term stay patients that remained mobile levels. Many in the industry would argue that mobility is vital to patients mental and physical well-being.
In Canterbury at Cedar Grove, 1.88 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Canterbury at Cedar Grove, 10.04 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term resident care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Canterbury at Cedar Grove, 9.47 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is generally a correlation between having fewer emergency room visits and the overall quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Canterbury at Cedar Grove, 81.82% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint measures the percentage of short-term residents who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Some experts believe that this is a reliable measure of a nursing home's rehabilitation services.
- Essex County Hospital CenterPsychiatric 0.35 miles away204 Grove Avenue Cedar Grove New Jersey 07009Government - Local(973) 571-2801
- St Mary's General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.81 miles away350 Boulevard Passaic New Jersey 07055Proprietary(973) 365-4300
- St Joseph's University Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.04 miles away703 Main St Paterson New Jersey 07503Voluntary non-profit - Church(973) 754-2010
- East Orange General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.59 miles away300 Central Ave East Orange New Jersey 07018Voluntary non-profit - Private(973) 266-4401
- Saint Barnabas Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.03 miles away94 Old Short Hills Road Livingston New Jersey 07039Voluntary non-profit - Other(973) 322-5000
- University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.65 miles away150 Bergen St Newark New Jersey 07101Government - State(973) 972-5658
- Chilton Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.74 miles away97 West Parkway Pompton Plains New Jersey 07444Voluntary non-profit - Private(973) 831-5000
- Hudson Regional HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.92 miles away55 Meadowlands Pkwy Secaucus New Jersey 07094Proprietary(201) 392-3200
- Fresenius Medical Care North Montclair1.86 miles away114 Valley Road Montclair New Jersey 07042CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (973) 744-2058
- Mountainside Hospital1.97 miles awayDialysis Unit 1 Bay Avenue Montclair New Jersey 07042Dialysis Stations: 30 (973) 429-6767
- St. Joseph's Wayne Dialysis3.07 miles away57 Willowbrook Blvd Wayne New Jersey 07470Dialysis Stations: 20 (973) 890-2792
- Woodland Park Dialysis Center3.71 miles away1225 Mcbride Ave Suite 100 Little Falls New Jersey 07424CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (973) 890-2394
- Fmc Bloomfield Dc3.97 miles away206 Belleville Avenue Bloomfield New Jersey 07003CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (973) 680-8100
- Total Renal Care, Inc West Orange Dialysis4.26 miles away375 Mount Pleasant Avenue Ste 340 West Orange New Jersey 07052Dialysis Stations: 19 (973) 243-7069
- Physicians Dialysis Passaic4.57 miles away10 Clifton Blvd Clifton New Jersey 07011CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (973) 594-9100
- St. Joseph's Sjrmc Dialysis5.04 miles away703 Main Street r2n Paterson New Jersey 07503Dialysis Stations: 8 (973) 754-3570