California Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center is a very-large nursing home located in Van Nuys, California. With a rock bottom overall grade of F, this facility isn't high on our list. Keep in mind that Van Nuys received a city grade of C, so should look at other options in the city as well. More information on this facility's category grades may be found below. Its best category was short-term care, which is addressed in the next paragraph.
California Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
6700 Sepulveda Blvd.,
Van Nuys CA 91411
94.57% estimated occupancy 1
Note: California Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
Although we gave this facility a terrible overall grade, we awarded it a grade of C for our short-term care rating. With our short-term care category, we try to forge a valuable barometer for rehabilitation services. In doing so, we analyze the facility's scope of skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as speech therapy. We were surprised to find that this nursing home was below average in the two key staffing areas we assessed. It supplied fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than most other facilities. It is still important to determine whether this also correlates to a lower quality of care. Lastly, we looked at the number of patients who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 5.2 percent of this facility's residents returned home. At most facilities, closer to half of their residents are able to return home so this figure is below average.
Sadly, this facility's second best category was inspections, but even there it received a grade of just D. This is still a well below average grade. Our inspection grades account for several factors found on a nursing home's inspection report. One key criteria we consider is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. This particular facility was assessed 11 deficiencies on its inspection report. The only positive thing we can say is that none of its deficiencies were in the categories that indicate they created a threat to patient safety or health. Lastly, this nursing home was cited by CMS for possible abuse or neglect. This is generally a really bad sign. We would never recommend this facility.
Does this page answer your questions about California Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center?
We were surprised to find that this facility also excelled in nursing. In fact, we gave it an impressive grade of D for that category, which is one of our highest scores. Our nursing score includes many datapoints, but the primary one is the level of nurse hours per patient per week. With just 0.4 hours of nursing care per patient daily, this facility's nurse staffing levels were far below the national average. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in computing our nursing ratings. This place fared well in terms of avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls.
Long-term Care Quality
This facility's weakest area was long-term care, which is the final category we analyzed. For this area, we gave this nursing home a D. For patients seeking a permanent residence rather than skilled nursing, long-term care is an important category. Once we looked at the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we then looked at the facility's vaccination record. This facility vaccinated 99.24128 percent of its patients for pneumonia, which is more than the average nursing home. Surprisingly, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. With just 0.03 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, this nursing home had less hospitalizations than the majority of nursing homes. Sadly, a few of its other scores in the category weren't as favorable as these.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
California Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In California Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term residents who suffered from new or worsened pressure ulcers . We bake this statistic into both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In California Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric gauges the percentage of long-term patients who experienced a fall resulting in severe injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but high rates of major falls may be an indication of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In California Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic measures the percentage of long-term care patients that have experienced a urinary tract infection. While a higher rate of these infections could reflect poorly on a nursing home's nursing care, it can be problematic to compare between facilities due to facilities having reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In California Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents given antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs may be vital to many residents, it is important to confirm these drugs are being used only where medically required. In limited situations, excessive reliance on these medications may indicate that a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In California Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure is an indication of the percentage of long-term patients taking antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In California Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center, 4.64% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents who are demonstrating depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In California Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center, 95.44% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents who received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In California Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as taking medications and bathing.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In California Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center, 12.45% Percentage of Residents
This is the percentage of patients who retained mobility levels over time. Preserving mobility is often a great sign for residents' health.
In California Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center, 1.61 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint measures the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In California Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center, 12.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care. Avoiding rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the physical well-being of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In California Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center, 9.83 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is typically a correlation between fewer emergency room visits and the overall quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In California Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center, 79.79% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of short-term stay patients that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Many in the industry believe that this is a reliable measure of a facility's rehabilitation services.
Scores for Van Nuys, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Van Nuys, California has 5 other nursing homes
- Sherman Oaks HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.48 miles away4929 Van Nuys Blvd Sherman Oaks California 91403Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 981-7111
- Providence Tarzana Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.03 miles away18321 Clark Street Tarzana California 91356Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 881-0800
- Northridge Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.35 miles away18300 Roscoe Blvd Northridge California 91325Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 885-8500
- Pacifica Hospital of the ValleyAcute Care Hospitals 5.19 miles away9449 San Fernando Rd Sun Valley California 91352Proprietary(818) 767-3310
- Providence Holy Cross Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6 miles away15031 Rinaldi St Mission Hills California 91346Voluntary non-profit - Church(818) 365-8051
- Providence Saint Joseph Medical CtrAcute Care Hospitals 8.31 miles away501 South Buena Vista Street Burbank California 91505Voluntary non-profit - Church(818) 843-5111
- Resnick Neuropsychiatric Hospital at UclaPsychiatric 8.92 miles away150 Medical Plaza-Rm-4230c Los Angeles California 90095Government - State(310) 825-6962
- Ronald Reagan U C L a Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.99 miles away757 Westwood Plaza Los Angeles California 90095Government - State(310) 825-6301
- Davita-Valley Dialysis Center0.93 miles away6840 Sepulveda Blvd, Suite 101 Van Nuys California 91405CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (818) 779-1450
- Fmc-Van Nuys1.1 miles away14812 Oxnard Street Van Nuys California 91411CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (818) 781-7888
- Davita Van Nuys Dialysis1.21 miles away14434 Sherman Way Van Nuys California 91405Dialysis Stations: 37 (818) 787-8225
- u.s. Renal Care Van Nuys Dialysis1.32 miles away14624 Sherman Way, Suite 106 Van Nuys California 91405CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 14 (818) 994-2333
- u.s. Renal Care Panorama City Dialysis2.2 miles away14600 Roscoe Blvd. Panorama City California 91402CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (818) 901-9822
- u.s. Renal Care Sherman Oaks Dialysis2.49 miles away4955 Van Nuys Blvd., Suite 111 Sherman Oaks California 91403Dialysis Stations: 18 (818) 285-5913
- u.s. Renal Care Northridge Dialysis2.8 miles away18546 Roscoe Blvd., Suite 108 Northridge California 91324CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (818) 886-3771
- Davita-South Valley Dialysis3.66 miles away17815 Ventura Blvd., Suite 100 Encino California 91316CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (818) 757-4520