California Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center is a very-large nursing home located in Van Nuys, California. With a rock bottom overall grade of F, this facility isn't high on our list. Keep in mind that Van Nuys received a city grade of B-, so should look at other options in the city as well. We would not blame you if you're ready to stop reading and find another facility. However, if you want to learn more about this nursing home's category grades, we will discuss short-term care in the next paragraph.
California Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
Note: California Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
While we graded this nursing home incredibly poorly overall, it received a decent short-term care grade this year. We gave it a grade of C in that area. Our short-term care scores are important for individuals in need of rehabilitation. Rehabilitation typically utilizes higher levels of skilled nursing services. This means a wide scope of nursing services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, as well as other forms of therapy. This nursing home provides more services with physical therapists and registered nurses than most nursing homes we looked at. This is usually a favorable sign. The final measure we assessed in this category is the number of residents who were able to return home from the facility. We found that just 4.9 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
This nursing home excelled in the category of nursing, where it earned a grade of C. Few nursing homes fared better in this category. Nursing grades are primarily based on a facility's nurse staffing. This nursing home averages just 0.5 hours of nursing care per patient on a daily basis, which is well below average. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this nursing home actually fared better in some of the quality measures we assessed. It scored well in terms of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be measures of the quality of nursing care. In many cases, the quality of nursing care is as important as the quantity of hours of care provided.
Does this page answer your questions about California Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center?
Long-term Care Quality
Unfortunately, this facility's next best score was long-term care. However, with a D in this area, it still fared somewhat poorly. For residents in need of a permanent residence rather than skilled nursing, long-term care is an important category. One of the criteria we considered on top of nurse's aid hours is vaccinations. Thankfully, this nursing home administered the pneumonia vaccine to 99.23547 percent of its residents. Surprisingly, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. With only 0.03 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, this facility has less hospitalizations than the majority of nursing homes. Sadly, some of its other scores in the category weren't as favorable as these.
In our last category of inspections, this nursing home received a terrible score. We weight this grade more heavily than our other categories. With nursing homes that received this poor of an inspection grade, we would scrutinize any severe deficiencies on its inspection report. This facility was assessed 11 deficiencies by government inspectors. The only favorable thing we found is that none of the deficiencies were in the categories that suggest they caused a risk to resident safety or health. Lastly, this nursing home was cited by CMS for possible abuse or neglect. This is generally a really bad sign. We would never recommend this facility.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
California Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In California Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center, 7.62% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of patients who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also referred to as bed sores, are routinely the result of residents not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing care can minimize the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In California Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center, 1.67% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of residents that suffered from a fall which caused serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In California Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center, 1.21% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic measures the percent of long-term stay patients who have experienced urinary tract infections. UTI's could be an indicator of poor nursing care. However, this statistic could also be misleading for certain facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In California Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center, 10.06% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients that were administered antipsychotic drugs. Excessive reliance on these medications may indicate a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior in scenarios where such medications are not medically required. Nevertheless, some facilities need to rely on these medications due to an increased number of residents suffering from Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In California Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center, 13.91% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure measures the percentage of long-term care residents which were prescribed antianxiety drugs. These drugs are typically used to treat residents experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In California Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center, 4.33% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients demonstrating symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In California Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center, 95.72% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents that have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In California Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center, 8.37% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term stay residents who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as getting dressed and continence. Some would argue that this is a reliable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In California Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center, 14.05% Percentage of Residents
This is the percentage of patients who retained mobility levels over time. Optimizing mobility is often a good sign for residents' health.
In California Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center, 1.49 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care. There is a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and the quality of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In California Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center, 14.05 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care. Avoiding the hospital during rehabilitation is key to restoring the physical well-being of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In California Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center, 9.85 Percentage of Patients
This metric tracks the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care. Avoiding medical emergencies is one way to gauge short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In California Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center, 79.63% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of short-term patients who experienced functional improvements.
Scores for Van Nuys, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Van Nuys, California has 5 other nursing homes
- Sherman Oaks HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.48 miles away4929 Van Nuys Blvd Sherman Oaks California 91403Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 981-7111
- Providence Tarzana Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.03 miles away18321 Clark Street Tarzana California 91356Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 881-0800
- Northridge Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.35 miles away18300 Roscoe Blvd Northridge California 91325Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 885-8500
- Pacifica Hospital of the ValleyAcute Care Hospitals 5.19 miles away9449 San Fernando Rd Sun Valley California 91352Proprietary(818) 767-3310
- Providence Holy Cross Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6 miles away15031 Rinaldi St Mission Hills California 91346Voluntary non-profit - Church(818) 365-8051
- Providence Saint Joseph Medical CtrAcute Care Hospitals 8.31 miles away501 South Buena Vista Street Burbank California 91505Voluntary non-profit - Church(818) 843-5111
- Resnick Neuropsychiatric Hospital at UclaPsychiatric 8.92 miles away150 Medical Plaza-Rm-4230c Los Angeles California 90095Government - State(310) 825-6962
- Ronald Reagan U C L a Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.99 miles away757 Westwood Plaza Los Angeles California 90095Government - State(310) 825-6301
- Davita-Valley Dialysis Center0.93 miles away6840 Sepulveda Blvd, Suite 101 Van Nuys California 91405CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (818) 779-1450
- Fmc-Van Nuys1.1 miles away14812 Oxnard Street Van Nuys California 91411CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (818) 781-7888
- Davita Van Nuys Dialysis1.21 miles away14434 Sherman Way Van Nuys California 91405Dialysis Stations: 37 (818) 787-8225
- u.s. Renal Care Van Nuys Dialysis1.32 miles away14624 Sherman Way, Suite 106 Van Nuys California 91405CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 14 (818) 994-2333
- u.s. Renal Care Panorama City Dialysis2.2 miles away14600 Roscoe Blvd. Panorama City California 91402CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (818) 901-9822
- u.s. Renal Care Sherman Oaks Dialysis2.49 miles away4955 Van Nuys Blvd., Suite 111 Sherman Oaks California 91403Dialysis Stations: 18 (818) 285-5913
- u.s. Renal Care Northridge Dialysis2.8 miles away18546 Roscoe Blvd., Suite 108 Northridge California 91324CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (818) 886-3771
- Davita-South Valley Dialysis3.66 miles away17815 Ventura Blvd., Suite 100 Encino California 91316CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (818) 757-4520