Byron Wellness Community is in Fort Wayne, Indiana. This city is one of the largest metropolitan areas in the nation with has a population of 305,409 people. We gave this facility a strong overall grade of B. After grading the other nursing homes in Fort Wayne, this looks like a better choice than the majority of them. Even in a city offering 12 nursing homes, this nursing home turns out to be a perfectly acceptable option. We were also pleased to find that this facility didn't have any weak links in any of the major categories. More information about these categories can be found below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Byron Wellness Community
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Fort Wayne senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
On top of receiving a great overall score, this place also earned first-rate health inspections in recent years. We awarded it one of our better scores in this category, with an A+. Inspection ratings weigh several factors found on a nursing home's inspection reports. One of the most important criteria we consider is the number and severity of deficiencies. Places with better scores in this category tend to have very few of these severe deficiencies. Although this place had some deficiencies on its government inspection report, none were severe based on CMS' scale. We should note that deficiency-free inspections are uncommon in this industry.
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home is also above average in the category of long-term care, where it was given a grade of B+. It outperformed most facilities in this category. Long-term care ratings of this caliber generally require both 24/7 care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine healthcare services. In addition to assessing the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we also looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility vaccinated 92.26361 percent of its patients, which is a few points less than we expected. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Byron Wellness Community?
Another strong feature for this facility is that it received an impressive nursing grade. In that area, we awarded this facility a grade of B. The nursing rating includes several datapoints, but the primary consideration is the level of nurse hours spent with patients. This facility provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This facility performed very well in the area of avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Short-term Care Quality
The last category we scored was short-term care. This facility was awarded a C in the category. In our short-term care rating, we seek to create a valuable barometer for rehabilitation services. In doing so, we look at the facility's levels of highly-skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as speech therapy. Unfortunately, it does not appear that this nursing home submitted information about its staffing of registered nurses or physical therapists. Finally, we considered the number of residents who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 0 percent of this facility's residents returned home. At most nursing homes, closer to half of their residents are able to return home so this figure is below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Byron Wellness Community Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Byron Wellness Community, 1.28% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of patients who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin resulting from remaining in the same position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Byron Wellness Community, 3.44% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric tells you the percentage of long-term residents which have sustained falls leading to severe injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but high rates of major falls may be a sign of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Byron Wellness Community, 1.45% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of patients who sustained a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are often the result of facilities with worst hygiene practices. More frequent bathing reduces the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. Keep in mind that this datapoint is sometimes skewed by the fact that facilities have different reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Byron Wellness Community, 29.65% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs may be helpful for many residents, it is important to ensure these drugs are being used only where medically required. In some cases, increased usage of these drugs may suggest that a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Byron Wellness Community, 30.06% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of patients prescribed antianxiety medications. Antianxiety drugs are given to patients suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Byron Wellness Community, 0.29% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients showing signs of depression. Some experts would argue this is a measure of quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Byron Wellness Community, 95.03% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients that have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for seniors, making these vaccines critical to patient well-being.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Byron Wellness Community, 22.26% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term stay residents that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as dressing and bathing.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Byron Wellness Community, 28.42% of Residents
This indicates the percentage of residents that were able to retain mobility over time. Retaining mobility is often a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Byron Wellness Community, 0.01 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Byron Wellness Community, 28.42% of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care.
Scores for Fort Wayne, IN
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Fort Wayne, Indiana has 11 other nursing homes
- Dupont Hospital LLCAcute Care Hospitals 3.21 miles away2520 E Dupont Rd Fort Wayne Indiana 46825Proprietary(260) 416-3000
- Orthopaedic Hospital at Parkview North LLCAcute Care Hospitals 3.41 miles away11130 Parkview Circle Dr Fort Wayne Indiana 46845Voluntary non-profit - Private(260) 672-4050
- Parkview Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.62 miles away11109 Parkview Plaza Drive Fort Wayne Indiana 46845Voluntary non-profit - Private(260) 266-1000
- St Joseph HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.12 miles away700 Broadway Fort Wayne Indiana 46802Proprietary(260) 425-3000
- Lutheran Hospital of IndianaAcute Care Hospitals 11.68 miles away7950 W Jefferson Blvd Fort Wayne Indiana 46804Proprietary(260) 435-7001
- Dekalb HealthAcute Care Hospitals 13.84 miles away1316 E Seventh St Auburn Indiana 46706Voluntary non-profit - Private(260) 925-4600
- Parkview Whitley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.65 miles away1260 E Sr 205 Columbia City Indiana 46725Voluntary non-profit - Private(260) 248-9301
- Parkview Noble HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 18.69 miles away401 Sawyer Rd Kendallville Indiana 46755Voluntary non-profit - Private(260) 347-8700
- Davita-Fort Wayne North Dialysis1.93 miles away415 E Dupont Road Fort Wayne Indiana 46825Dialysis Stations: 13 (260) 637-0431
- Fmc - Dupont Dialysis3.42 miles away10204 East Dupont Circle Drive Fort Wayne Indiana 46825CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (260) 489-9255
- Davita - Summit City Dialysis6.97 miles away3233 East Coliseum Blvd. Fort Wayne Indiana 46805CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (260) 373-1599
- Davita - Fort Wayne West8.56 miles away4916 Illinois Road, Suite 118 Fort Wayne Indiana 46804Dialysis Stations: 14 (260) 434-0483
- Davita - Appleseed9.23 miles away1833 Magnavox Way Fort Wayne Indiana 46804Dialysis Stations: 4 (260) 432-1036
- Fmc - Northeast Indiana Kidney Ctr - Fort Wayne10.63 miles away7836 W. Jefferson Blvd., Suite ll10 Fort Wayne Indiana 46804CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (260) 432-4225
- Davita - Fort Wayne South10.98 miles away302 E. Pettit Ave. Fort Wayne Indiana 46806CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (260) 456-0451
- Randolph Dialysis, LLC12.07 miles away6721 Old Trail Road Fort Wayne Indiana 46809Dialysis Stations: 12 (260) 478-8582