Byron Wellness Community is in Fort Wayne, Indiana. This city is one of the largest metropolitan areas in the nation with has a population of 305,409 people. This nursing home was given an overall grade of B-, which is a good grade. Even in a city offering 26 other nursing homes, this nursing home ought to be a respectable selection. We were also pleased to discover that this place was consistent in all four of the major categories. Additional information about these categories can be found below.
Byron Wellness Community
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
12101 Lima Rd,
Fort Wayne IN 46818
72.66% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
This facility received a solid overall grade as described above, but we really wanted to point out its excellent health inspections in recent years. We gave them an A+ in this category. Perhaps the most significant factor we look at in computing our inspection scores is deficiencies. These deficiencies can be found on a nursing home's inspection reports. Facilities with higher grades in this area most likely avoided the more severe deficiencies involving things like patient abuse. Fortunately, although this facility had some minor dings on its inspection report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are labeled as categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This means that the inspectors didn't consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. The fact that none of the deficiencies were severe made us feel better about this inspection report.
Long-term Care Quality
Additionally, we gave this nursing home a grade of B in our long-term care category. This is one of our more impressive grades. When nursing homes receive this kind of grade in this category it is typically a good sign for resident care and indicates that the nursing home is well-staffed with nurses and aids. In addition to assessing the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we analyzed the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home provided the vaccine to 97.450424 percent of its patients, which is much higher than most nursing homes. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Byron Wellness Community?
This facility's next best category grade came in the area of nursing. In that category, we gave this nursing home a grade of C. Our nursing grade is based on several datapoints, however, the main consideration is the quantity of nurse hours spent with patients. This nursing home provided just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident on a daily basis. This is a relatively low total compared with most other facilities. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics. Although this facility got dinged a bit for its nursing hours, it excelled in some of these quality measures. With fewer than five percent of its patients suffering from pressure ulcers, it fared remarkably well in this metric. This is generally an indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can frequently be prevented by offering better nursing care, such as having a protocol of moving a patient more frequently.
Short-term Care Quality
The last area we analyzed is short-term care. We awarded it a grade of C in that area. This is a decent grade in this category. In the category of short-term care, we try to qualify measures of a nursing home's rehabilitation services. We assess a facility's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses and physical and occupational therapists. It doesn't look like this facility provided information about its staffing of registered nurses or physical therapists. Finally, we assessed the number of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 0 percent of this facility's patients returned home. At most facilities, closer to half of their residents are able to return home so this figure is below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Byron Wellness Community Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Byron Wellness Community, 7.44% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of residents that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are often the result of residents staying in one position for too long. Better nursing protocols limits the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Byron Wellness Community, 3.93% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of patients that suffered from a major fall. Falls resulting in serious injuries are often associated with lower levels of patient supervision. More supervision can reduce the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Byron Wellness Community, 1.87% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic gauges the percent of long-term care residents who suffered from urinary tract infections. UTI's may be an indicator of lower quality nursing care. Nevertheless, this metric can be misleading for certain nursing homes due to varying reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Byron Wellness Community, 13.18% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents who were given antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic drugs are administered to patients for a variety of conditions, such as cognitive disorders. Sadly, in limited situations, increased usage of these drugs may suggest a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Byron Wellness Community, 21.77% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients who were given antianxiety medications. These drugs are typically prescribed to patients suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Byron Wellness Community, 12.89% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents showing symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Byron Wellness Community, 91.48% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term residents who were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Byron Wellness Community, 15.74% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Byron Wellness Community, 15.7% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term patients who retained mobility levels. Many in the industry would argue that mobility is vital to patients well-being.
In Byron Wellness Community, 1.46 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Byron Wellness Community, 15.7 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Scores for Fort Wayne, IN
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Fort Wayne, Indiana has 25 other nursing homes
- Dupont Hospital LLCAcute Care Hospitals 3.21 miles away2520 E Dupont Rd Fort Wayne Indiana 46825Proprietary(260) 416-3000
- Orthopaedic Hospital at Parkview North LLCAcute Care Hospitals 3.41 miles away11130 Parkview Circle Dr Fort Wayne Indiana 46845Voluntary non-profit - Private(260) 672-4050
- Parkview Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.62 miles away11109 Parkview Plaza Drive Fort Wayne Indiana 46845Voluntary non-profit - Private(260) 266-1000
- St Joseph HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.12 miles away700 Broadway Fort Wayne Indiana 46802Proprietary(260) 425-3000
- Lutheran Hospital of IndianaAcute Care Hospitals 11.68 miles away7950 W Jefferson Blvd Fort Wayne Indiana 46804Proprietary(260) 435-7001
- Dekalb HealthAcute Care Hospitals 13.84 miles away1316 E Seventh St Auburn Indiana 46706Voluntary non-profit - Private(260) 925-4600
- Parkview Whitley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.65 miles away1260 E Sr 205 Columbia City Indiana 46725Voluntary non-profit - Private(260) 248-9301
- Parkview Noble HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 18.69 miles away401 Sawyer Rd Kendallville Indiana 46755Voluntary non-profit - Private(260) 347-8700
- Davita-Fort Wayne North Dialysis1.93 miles away415 E Dupont Road Fort Wayne Indiana 46825Dialysis Stations: 13 (260) 637-0431
- Fmc - Dupont Dialysis3.42 miles away10204 East Dupont Circle Drive Fort Wayne Indiana 46825CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (260) 489-9255
- Davita - Summit City Dialysis6.97 miles away3233 East Coliseum Blvd. Fort Wayne Indiana 46805CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (260) 373-1599
- Davita - Fort Wayne West8.56 miles away4916 Illinois Road, Suite 118 Fort Wayne Indiana 46804Dialysis Stations: 14 (260) 434-0483
- Davita - Appleseed9.23 miles away1833 Magnavox Way Fort Wayne Indiana 46804Dialysis Stations: 4 (260) 432-1036
- Fmc - Northeast Indiana Kidney Ctr - Fort Wayne10.63 miles away7836 W. Jefferson Blvd., Suite ll10 Fort Wayne Indiana 46804CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (260) 432-4225
- Davita - Fort Wayne South10.98 miles away302 E. Pettit Ave. Fort Wayne Indiana 46806CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (260) 456-0451
- Randolph Dialysis, LLC12.07 miles away6721 Old Trail Road Fort Wayne Indiana 46809Dialysis Stations: 12 (260) 478-8582