Buena Vista Care Center is located in Anaheim, California. This city is one of the most populated metropolitan areas in the nation with has a total of 354,475 people. This facility received an A- overall, which is one of our best scores. In fact, we ranked this nursing home in the top third of all facilities in the country. This facility also received strong grades in all of the major categories we assessed. More information about these categories can be found below.
Buena Vista Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
Registered Staff Hours
To pair with its great overall grade, we awarded this facility a grade of A for inspections. Our inspection ratings account for a host of factors found on a nursing home's inspection reports. One key criteria we rely on is the number and severity of deficiencies. Facilities with better grades in this area typically have very few severe deficiencies. This facility received 7 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none were considered to be severe deficiencies. This tells you that the government inspectors didn't consider any of the deficiencies to pose an immediate threat to patient safety or health. The fact that none of the deficiencies were severe made us feel better about this inspection report.
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home also was strong in the category of short-term care, where it received a grade of A-. Not many nursing homes performed better in this area. Short-term care ratings are based in part on the facility's quantity of skilled skilled healthcare professionals. This means a vast spectrum of nursing services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, not to mention other variations of therapy. Unfortunately, we were not able to locate registered nurse or physical therapy staffing data for this facility. The final measure we considered in this category is the percentage of patients who were able to leave the facility and return home. We discovered that 6.2 percent of this nursing home's patients were able to return home.
Does this page answer your questions about Buena Vista Care Center?
Adding to its strong resume, this facility also received an excellent nursing score, with a grade of A-. Our nursing grade weighs a variety of subcategories. The most important variable is the quantity of hours nurses spend with residents. This facility provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality measures and this place excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any nursing home the nation in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can generally be prevented by offering better nursing care, such as by employing a policy of turning patients at least once a day.
Long-term Care Quality
The final area we analyzed is long-term care. This facility received an impressive nursing grade in our assessment, with a grade of B. Even though this was not as good as many of its other grades, this is nevertheless one of the more impressive grades in this category. Nursing homes that excel in this category tend to provide patients with closer supervision and stay on top of routine medical care. After assessing the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we next considered the nursing home's vaccination records. This facility vaccinated 100 percent of its patients for pneumonia, which is far higher than most nursing homes. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. It had only 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Buena Vista Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Buena Vista Care Center, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of residents who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also known as bed sores, are routinely caused by patients not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing care limits the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Buena Vista Care Center, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of patients who sustained a major fall. Falls resulting in severe injury are considered to be a measure of nursing care at a nursing home. Major falls which result in injury are often the result of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Buena Vista Care Center, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of patients that suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections may be linked to poorer hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Buena Vista Care Center, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients prescribed antipsychotic drugs. These medications may be used for treating several medical conditions, such as cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Buena Vista Care Center, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of long-term stay residents taking antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Buena Vista Care Center, 4.64% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term care patients demonstrating symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Buena Vista Care Center, 95.44% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term care patients that were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for nursing home patients, making these vaccines critical to patient care.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Buena Vista Care Center, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of dependence on staff for assistance with activities of daily living may indicate erosion of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Buena Vista Care Center, 12.45% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percent of residents who retained mobility levels over time. Retaining mobility can be a good sign for residents' health.
In Buena Vista Care Center, 1.61 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of care. There is typically a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and the overall quality of long-term care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Buena Vista Care Center, 12.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is typically a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Buena Vista Care Center, 9.83 Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Buena Vista Care Center, 79.79% Percentage of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percentage of short-term stay residents that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Many in the industry believe this is a measure of a facility's rehabilitation performance.
Scores for Anaheim, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Anaheim, California has 13 other nursing homes
- Ahmc Anaheim Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.49 miles away1111 W La Palma Avenue Anaheim California 92801Voluntary non-profit - Private(714) 774-1450
- Garden Grove Hospital & Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.05 miles away12601 Garden Grove Blvd Garden Grove California 92843Proprietary(714) 537-5160
- West Anaheim Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.23 miles away3033 W Orange Avenue Anaheim California 92804Proprietary(714) 827-3000
- University of California Irvine Med CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.51 miles away101 City Drive South Orange California 92868Government - Local(714) 456-6112
- St Joseph HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.81 miles away1100 West Stewart Dr Orange California 92868Voluntary non-profit - Church(714) 633-9111
- St Jude Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.7 miles away101 E Valencia Mesa Drive Fullerton California 92835Voluntary non-profit - Church(714) 992-3000
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - Orange County - AnaheAcute Care Hospitals 6.26 miles away3440 E La Palma Ave Anaheim California 92806Voluntary non-profit - Private(714) 279-4000
- Fountain Valley Regional Hospital & Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.65 miles away17100 Euclid Street Fountain Valley California 92708Proprietary(714) 966-7200
- Davita-Anaheim Springs Dialysis0.17 miles away1324 S Euclid Street Anaheim California 92802CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (714) 774-1518
- Davita-Anaheim West Dialysis1.51 miles away1821 W. Lincoln Avenue Anaheim California 92801CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (714) 765-6510
- Fmc-North Orange County2.2 miles away511 N. Brookhurst Street, Suite 100 Anaheim California 92801CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (714) 778-0488
- Davita-Anaheim Dialysis2.49 miles away1341 W. La Palma Avenue Anaheim California 92801CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (714) 254-1484
- Fmc-Rai-Harbor Blvd.-Garden Grove2.91 miles away12761 Harbor Blvd., Suite I-3 Garden Grove California 92840CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (714) 539-3122
- Davita-Garden Grove Harbor Dialysis2.96 miles away13054 North Harbor Blvd. Garden Grove California 92843CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (714) 539-3395
- Fmc-Rai-Garden Grove Blvd.-Garden Grove3.04 miles away12555 Garden Grove Blvd., Suite 100 Garden Grove California 92843Dialysis Stations: 13 (714) 741-7255
- Davita-Fullerton Dialysis3.25 miles away238 Orangefair Mall Fullerton California 92832CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (714) 447-3045