Buena Vista Care Center is located in Anaheim, California. This city is one of the most populated metropolitan areas in the nation with has a total of 354,475 people. This proved to be a very solid facility, with an overall grade of B. The facilities in Anaheim received high grades across the board with a B+ city grade, making this one of the better places in California to find a nursing home. We were also pleased to find that this place didn't have any weak links in any of the major categories. More information about these categories can be found below.
Buena Vista Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
Registered Staff Hours
One of the reasons this ended up being a quality nursing home is that it earned an impressive inspection rating. In fact, inspections is its best category. In that category, we awarded this facility a grade of A. Arguably the most critical factor we consider in calculating our inspection scores is deficiencies. Deficiencies are found on a nursing home's inspection reports. Facilities with higher grades in this area most likely avoided the more severe deficiencies involving health risks or even death. This facility was assessed 7 deficiencies on its inspection report, but fortunately none were considered to be major deficiencies. This tells you that the government inspectors did not deem any of the deficiencies to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. Keep in mind that deficiency-free inspection reports are rare in this industry.
We also awarded this nursing home a grade of A- for our nursing grade. Nursing scores are primarily based on a nursing home's nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This place performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a place has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can many times be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Does this page answer your questions about Buena Vista Care Center?
Long-term Care Quality
This facility's next highest category was its long-term care score, where it was awarded a B-. In a long-term care environment, the facility's primary objective is to keep patients healthy and safe. This is different than skilled nursing or short-term care where the goal is to rehabilitate patients. One of the criteria we considered on top of nursing hours was vaccinations. Fortunately, this nursing home administered the pneumonia vaccine to 100 percent of its patients. Finally, this place was also able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Short-term Care Quality
The next area we rated is short-term care. This nursing home was given a grade of B- for the area. In the category of short-term care, we endeavor to assess indicators of a nursing home's rehabilitation. We analyze the facility's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses and physical therapists. We were not able to locate information about this nursing home's registered nurse or physical therapy staffing. The final item we considered in this area is the percentage of patients who were able to leave the nursing home and return to the community. We discovered that just 4.6 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home, which is actually below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Buena Vista Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Buena Vista Care Center, 7.62% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of patients that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage resulting from staying in the same position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Buena Vista Care Center, 1.67% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint is an indication of the percentage of long-term care residents that suffered a fall which resulted in major injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but excessive numbers of falls may be an indication of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Buena Vista Care Center, 1.21% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of patients that sustained a urinary tract infection. These infections are linked to inadequate hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Buena Vista Care Center, 10.06% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of patients who were given antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications may be vital to many residents, it is important to ensure these medications are being used appropriately. In limited cases, excessive reliance on these medications may suggest that a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Buena Vista Care Center, 13.91% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents receiving antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Buena Vista Care Center, 4.33% of Patients
This is the percent of residents who are demonstrating symptoms of depression. Higher levels of depression could be an indicator worse patient care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Buena Vista Care Center, 95.72% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term care patients that have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for nursing home patients, making these types of vaccines critical to patient well-being.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Buena Vista Care Center, 8.37% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term care patients that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as dressing and eating.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Buena Vista Care Center, 14.05% Percentage of Residents
This metric tracks the percent of long-term patients who were able to retain mobility. Some experts would argue that the ability to move around is vital to residents' mental and physical health.
In Buena Vista Care Center, 1.49 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric tracks the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Buena Vista Care Center, 14.05 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care. Minimizing rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is key to restoring the physical abilities of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Buena Vista Care Center, 9.85 Percentage of Patients
Measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Buena Vista Care Center, 79.63% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percentage of short-term care patients that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Higher levels of autonomy with activities of daily living typically correlates with better rehabilitation.
Scores for Anaheim, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Anaheim, California has 13 other nursing homes
- Ahmc Anaheim Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.49 miles away1111 W La Palma Avenue Anaheim California 92801Voluntary non-profit - Private(714) 774-1450
- Garden Grove Hospital & Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.05 miles away12601 Garden Grove Blvd Garden Grove California 92843Proprietary(714) 537-5160
- West Anaheim Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.23 miles away3033 W Orange Avenue Anaheim California 92804Proprietary(714) 827-3000
- University of California Irvine Med CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.51 miles away101 City Drive South Orange California 92868Government - Local(714) 456-6112
- St Joseph HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.81 miles away1100 West Stewart Dr Orange California 92868Voluntary non-profit - Church(714) 633-9111
- St Jude Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.7 miles away101 E Valencia Mesa Drive Fullerton California 92835Voluntary non-profit - Church(714) 992-3000
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - Orange County - AnaheAcute Care Hospitals 6.26 miles away3440 E La Palma Ave Anaheim California 92806Voluntary non-profit - Private(714) 279-4000
- Fountain Valley Regional Hospital & Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.65 miles away17100 Euclid Street Fountain Valley California 92708Proprietary(714) 966-7200
- Davita-Anaheim Springs Dialysis0.17 miles away1324 S Euclid Street Anaheim California 92802CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (714) 774-1518
- Davita-Anaheim West Dialysis1.51 miles away1821 W. Lincoln Avenue Anaheim California 92801CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (714) 765-6510
- Fmc-North Orange County2.2 miles away511 N. Brookhurst Street, Suite 100 Anaheim California 92801CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (714) 778-0488
- Davita-Anaheim Dialysis2.49 miles away1341 W. La Palma Avenue Anaheim California 92801CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (714) 254-1484
- Fmc-Rai-Harbor Blvd.-Garden Grove2.91 miles away12761 Harbor Blvd., Suite I-3 Garden Grove California 92840CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (714) 539-3122
- Davita-Garden Grove Harbor Dialysis2.96 miles away13054 North Harbor Blvd. Garden Grove California 92843CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (714) 539-3395
- Fmc-Rai-Garden Grove Blvd.-Garden Grove3.04 miles away12555 Garden Grove Blvd., Suite 100 Garden Grove California 92843Dialysis Stations: 13 (714) 741-7255
- Davita-Fullerton Dialysis3.25 miles away238 Orangefair Mall Fullerton California 92832CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (714) 447-3045