Buena Vista Care Center is located in Anaheim, California. This city is one of the most populated metropolitan areas in the nation with has a total of 354,475 people. This facility received an A- overall, which is one of our best scores. In fact, we ranked this nursing home in the top third of all facilities in the country. This facility also received strong grades in all of the major categories we assessed. More information about these categories can be found below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Buena Vista Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Anaheim senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
To pair with its great overall grade, we awarded this facility a grade of A- for inspections. Our inspection ratings account for a host of factors found on a nursing home's inspection reports. One key criteria we rely on is the number and severity of deficiencies. Facilities with better grades in this area typically have very few severe deficiencies. This facility received 7 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none were considered to be severe deficiencies. This tells you that the government inspectors didn't consider any of the deficiencies to pose an immediate threat to patient safety or health. The fact that none of the deficiencies were severe made us feel better about this inspection report.
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home also was strong in the category of short-term care, where it received a grade of A-. Not many nursing homes performed better in this area. Short-term care ratings are based in part on the facility's quantity of skilled skilled healthcare professionals. This means a vast spectrum of nursing services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, not to mention other variations of therapy. Unfortunately, we were not able to locate registered nurse or physical therapy staffing data for this facility. The final measure we considered in this category is the percentage of patients who were able to leave the facility and return home. We discovered that 6.2 percent of this nursing home's patients were able to return home.
Does this page answer your questions about Buena Vista Care Center?
Long-term Care Quality
Turning to an additional strength for this nursing home, we gave them one of our better scores in our long-term care category as well, with a B+. Facilities that receive this type of grade in long-term care tend to provide consistent around the clock care to ensure residents are well cared for. Once we assessed the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we then looked at the facility's vaccination statistics. This nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its residents against pneumonia, which is significantly higher than most nursing homes. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Switching gears to the last area, this nursing home was awarded a high-end nursing grade. We gave it a grade of B+ in this category, completing one of our finer profiles. The nursing rating assesses a handful of data points, however, the most important one is the quantity of nurse hours spent with patients. This nursing home provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This facility performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a facility has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can frequently be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Buena Vista Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Buena Vista Care Center, 1.61% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of residents who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a measure of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, which are also referred to as bed sores, are often the result of patients not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Buena Vista Care Center, 0.34% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of patients that have had a major fall. Falls leading to serious injury are considered to be a measure of nursing care at a nursing home. Major falls which result in injury are routinely the result of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Buena Vista Care Center, 0% of Patients had UTIs
This gauges the percent of long-term care patients who experienced a UTI. UTI's could be an indication of worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this statistic can also be misleading for some nursing homes due to varying reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Buena Vista Care Center, 12.3% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint tells you the percent of long-term patients that are prescribed antipsychotic medication. Excessive reliance on these medications may indicate that a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior in scenarios where such drugs are not medically indicated. However, some facilities need to rely on these drugs due to an increased number of residents suffering from cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Buena Vista Care Center, 15.97% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of patients who were given antianxiety medications. These drugs are given to residents experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Buena Vista Care Center, 65.23% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents who are showing signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Buena Vista Care Center, 100% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients that received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for seniors, making these types of vaccines vital to patient safety.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Buena Vista Care Center, 5.9% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as dressing and continence.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Buena Vista Care Center, 6.05% of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents who maintained mobility. Some argue that mobility is vital to residents' mental and physical well-being.
In Buena Vista Care Center, 0.01 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. Staying out of the hospital is key to the physical health of nursing home residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Buena Vista Care Center, 6.05% of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Buena Vista Care Center, 7.97% of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is a correlation between reduced emergency room visits and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Buena Vista Care Center, 89.18% of Resident
This datapoint measures the percent of short-term stay residents that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Some argue that this is a reasonable measure of a facility's rehabilitation performance.
Scores for Anaheim, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Anaheim, California has 5 other nursing homes
- Ahmc Anaheim Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.49 miles away1111 W La Palma Avenue Anaheim California 92801Voluntary non-profit - Private(714) 774-1450
- Garden Grove Hospital & Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.05 miles away12601 Garden Grove Blvd Garden Grove California 92843Proprietary(714) 537-5160
- West Anaheim Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.23 miles away3033 W Orange Avenue Anaheim California 92804Proprietary(714) 827-3000
- University of California Irvine Med CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.51 miles away101 City Drive South Orange California 92868Government - Local(714) 456-6112
- St Joseph HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.81 miles away1100 West Stewart Dr Orange California 92868Voluntary non-profit - Church(714) 633-9111
- St Jude Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.7 miles away101 E Valencia Mesa Drive Fullerton California 92835Voluntary non-profit - Church(714) 992-3000
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - Orange County - AnaheAcute Care Hospitals 6.26 miles away3440 E La Palma Ave Anaheim California 92806Voluntary non-profit - Private(714) 279-4000
- Fountain Valley Regional Hospital & Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.65 miles away17100 Euclid Street Fountain Valley California 92708Proprietary(714) 966-7200
- Davita-Anaheim Springs Dialysis0.17 miles away1324 S Euclid Street Anaheim California 92802CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (714) 774-1518
- Davita-Anaheim West Dialysis1.51 miles away1821 W. Lincoln Avenue Anaheim California 92801CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (714) 765-6510
- Fmc-North Orange County2.2 miles away511 N. Brookhurst Street, Suite 100 Anaheim California 92801CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (714) 778-0488
- Davita-Anaheim Dialysis2.49 miles away1341 W. La Palma Avenue Anaheim California 92801CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (714) 254-1484
- Fmc-Rai-Harbor Blvd.-Garden Grove2.91 miles away12761 Harbor Blvd., Suite I-3 Garden Grove California 92840CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (714) 539-3122
- Davita-Garden Grove Harbor Dialysis2.96 miles away13054 North Harbor Blvd. Garden Grove California 92843CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (714) 539-3395
- Fmc-Rai-Garden Grove Blvd.-Garden Grove3.04 miles away12555 Garden Grove Blvd., Suite 100 Garden Grove California 92843Dialysis Stations: 13 (714) 741-7255
- Davita-Fullerton Dialysis3.25 miles away238 Orangefair Mall Fullerton California 92832CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (714) 447-3045