Buena Ventura Post Acute Care Center is an average-sized nursing home located in Los Angeles, California. This is a lower end facility, with an overall grade of D. If you aren't happy with this nursing home, you should be able to find another option in Los Angeles, as the city has more than 25 nursing homes. We wouldn't blame you if you're ready to stop reading and find another facility. However, if you want to learn more about this facility's category grades, long-term care grades are discussed in the next section.
Buena Ventura Post Acute Care Center
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
Even though we didn't give this nursing home a good overall score, we surprisingly awarded it a strong score in long-term care, where it earned a B. When facilities receive a score in this range in long-term care it typically means it has plenty of staff and is a quality place to live on a permanent basis. One of the statistics we considered in addition to nursing hours was vaccines. This facility provided the pneumonia vaccination to 100 percent of its residents. Vaccination is a reliable method to minimize unnecessary deaths and hospitalizations for the elderly population. Finally, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. It had only 0.05 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
We actually gave this nursing home a very solid score in the area of inspections as well. In fact, we awarded it a B- in this category. We would argue that one of the most important factors in evaluating an inspection report is deficiencies. In this regard, we especially look at the severity of the deficiencies. This nursing home was hit with 6 deficiencies on its inspection report, but fortunately none were considered to be severe. This tells you that the inspectors didn't consider any of these deficiencies an imminent risk to patient safety or health. A couple minor deficiencies aren't the end of the world.
Does this page answer your questions about Buena Ventura Post Acute Care Center?
We awarded this facility a respectable grade in the area of nursing as well, with a grade of B-. The nursing category weighs quite a few components, most of which are based on levels of nurse staffing. This nursing home averages just 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a very low figure. Lastly, nursing scores also factor in quality-based measures, such as avoiding major falls. Despite not having the most impressive total nursing hours per resident, this facility performed admirably in the area of preventing major falls. This is generally a reliable indicator that a place has sufficient quality controls in place. Some falls can be avoided if a nursing home supplies enough nurses aids to assist its patients.
Short-term Care Quality
Moving on to our fourth category, we gave this nursing home a D in the area of short-term care. This was the nursing home's worst category grade. Short-term care grades are important for individuals needing rehabilitation. Rehabilitation generally mandates additional highly-skilled nursing. This means a broad spectrum of nursing services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, as well as other variations of therapy. Based on its score in this area, we weren't stunned to discover that this facility was well below average in terms of its number of registered nurse and physical therapy hours offered to its residents based on the measures we assessed. Finally, we considered the number of patients who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. This was not a strength for this nursing home. We found that just 3.8 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home. At most nursing homes, around half of their residents are able to return home so this is well below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Buena Ventura Post Acute Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Buena Ventura Post Acute Care Center, 7.62% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic tells you the percentage of long-term care patients which suffer from pressure ulcers. Many experts believe that pressure ulcers are a great measure of a facility's nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Buena Ventura Post Acute Care Center, 1.67% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients who had a fall resulting in severe injury. We use this statistic in determining our nursing scores.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Buena Ventura Post Acute Care Center, 1.21% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of patients who have had a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are often caused by lower quality nursing care. More frequent bathing can reduce the number likelihood of residents sustaining infections. We want to point out that this metric is sometimes skewed by the fact that facilities have incongruent reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Buena Ventura Post Acute Care Center, 10.06% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of patients prescribed antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs may be helpful for many residents, it is important to ensure these medications are being used appropriately. In some situations, excessive reliance on these medications may mean that a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Buena Ventura Post Acute Care Center, 13.91% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents who were prescribed antianxiety drugs. These medications are generally used to treat residents experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Buena Ventura Post Acute Care Center, 4.33% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term stay residents who are showing signs of depression. Many in the industry believe this is a measure of quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Buena Ventura Post Acute Care Center, 95.72% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients who were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for nursing home residents, making these types of vaccines indispensable.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Buena Ventura Post Acute Care Center, 8.37% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of residents that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Buena Ventura Post Acute Care Center, 14.05% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term care patients who remained mobile levels. Some argue that mobility is important for residents' physical and mental well-being.
In Buena Ventura Post Acute Care Center, 1.49 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. Avoiding the hospital is key to preserving the physical health of nursing home residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Buena Ventura Post Acute Care Center, 14.05 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
Measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term resident care. Avoiding the hospital during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the physical abilities of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Buena Ventura Post Acute Care Center, 9.85 Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care. Avoiding medical emergencies is one way to gauge short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Buena Ventura Post Acute Care Center, 79.63% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percentage of short-term care residents who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Higher levels of performance with activities of daily living usually correlates with successful rehabilitation.
Scores for Los Angeles, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-minus
Looking for more options? Los Angeles, California has 74 other nursing homes
- Los Angeles Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.29 miles away4081 E Olympic Blvd Los Angeles California 90023Proprietary(323) 267-0477
- Lac+Usc Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.12 miles away1200 N State St, Room c2k100 Los Angeles California 90033Government - Local(323) 226-2800
- Community Hospital of Huntington ParkAcute Care Hospitals 3.23 miles away2623 E Slauson Ave Huntington Park California 90255Proprietary(323) 583-1931
- Garfield Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.62 miles away525 N Garfield Ave Monterey Park California 91754Proprietary(626) 573-2222
- Beverly HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.73 miles away309 W Beverly Blvd Montebello California 90640Voluntary non-profit - Private(323) 726-1222
- California Hospital Medical Center LaAcute Care Hospitals 4.88 miles away1401 South Grand Avenue Los Angeles California 90015Voluntary non-profit - Other(213) 748-2411
- Saint Vincent Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.01 miles away2131 W 3rd St Los Angeles California 90057Voluntary non-profit - Church(213) 484-7111
- Pih Hospital - DowneyAcute Care Hospitals 6.69 miles away11500 Brookshire Avenue Downey California 90241Voluntary non-profit - Private(526) 904-5000
- Fmc-Rai-East Olympic-Los Angeles0.32 miles away5714 East Olympic Blvd. Los Angeles California 90022Dialysis Stations: 24 (323) 887-0841
- Davita-Doctors Dialysis Center of East Los Angeles0.52 miles away950 S. Eastern Avenue Los Angeles California 90022CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (323) 262-2229
- Fmc-Dialysis Services of East Los Angeles1.92 miles away5220 E. Telford Street Los Angeles California 90022CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 33 (323) 269-2091
- Davita-Monterey Park Dialysis Center2 miles away2560 Corporate Place, Building D, Suite 100-101 Monterey Park California 91754CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (323) 780-8787
- Peritoneal Dialysis Center of America-San Gabriel Pc2.26 miles away809 S. Atlantic Blvd., Suite 103 Monterey Park California 91754Dialysis Stations: 2 (626) 576-8556
- Montebello Artificial Kidney Center2.41 miles away3404 W. Beverly Blvd. Montebello California 90640CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (323) 728-7580
- Davita-Boyle Heights2.61 miles away1936 East 1st Street Los Angeles California 90033CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (323) 268-2729
- Davita-East La Plaza Dialysis2.65 miles away1700 Cesar E. Chavez Ave., Suite L-100 Los Angeles California 90033CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (323) 261-0484