Brookhaven at Lexington is located in Lexington, Massachusetts, a city with a total of 31,394 people. Sporting an overall rating of A+, this nursing home is undoubtedly a first-rate nursing home. Indeed, we were so impressed with this facility that we ranked it as the number one nursing home in Lexington. As you can see below, this nursing home performed just as well in our category grades. We give this place two thumbs up!
Brookhaven at Lexington
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
1010 Waltham Street,
Lexington MA 02421
22.44% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- No Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Aquatic Therapy
Best Nursing Home in Massachusetts Awards 2019
Best Nursing Home in Lexington, Massachusetts Awards 2019
Best Nursing Home in Massachusetts Awards 2020
Best Nursing Home in Lexington, Massachusetts Awards 2020
Top Nursing Home in Massachusetts Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to receiving a great overall grade, this nursing home received an A+ for nursing. The nursing rating is based on many subcategories. The most heavily weighted one is the amount of time nurses spent with patients. This nursing home provides 0.8 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This facility performed very well when it comes to avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Long-term Care Quality
We also wanted to emphasize the fact that this nursing home performed remarkably in our long-term care rating. We awarded them an impressive score of A+ in this category. Facilities that receive this kind of grade in long-term care typically provide consistent around the clock care to ensure patients are well cared for. Once we assessed the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we then looked at the facility's vaccination record. This facility vaccinated 100 percent of its patients for pneumonia, which is far higher than most nursing homes. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Brookhaven at Lexington?
Continuing with its first-class performance, this nursing home also received an A+ inspection grade. This grade is based on the facility's recent government inspection reports. An A+ in this category is one of the highest complements we can pay to a nursing home. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in computing these inspection ratings. One of those factors is health deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of deficiencies is usually more meaningful than the number of deficiencies, as some deficiencies can be relatively minor. While this place had a few deficiencies on its report, none of them were major deficiencies based on CMS' scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Short-term Care Quality
Turning to the last category, this nursing home also performed well in the short-term care category. We awarded it an A for this area. This rounded out a straight A profile. In our short-term care grade, we seek to create a meaningful measure for rehabilitation. In doing so, we analyze the facility's levels of skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as speech therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this facility employs registered nurses. Not all nursing homes employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, based on the data they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The final metric we assessed in this category is the percentage of patients who were able to leave the nursing home and return to the community. We discovered that 0 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Brookhaven at Lexington Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Brookhaven at Lexington, 6.44% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of long-term residents which suffer from pressure ulcers. We find that pressure ulcers are a solid barometer of a facility's nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Brookhaven at Lexington, 3.68% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is a measure of the percent of long-term residents who experienced falls resulting in serious injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but excessive numbers of falls may be an indicator of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Brookhaven at Lexington, 2.42% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic is a measure of the percent of long-term residents who have suffered from UTI's. While a higher rate infections may reflect poorly on a nursing home's hygiene protocols, it can be problematic to compare different facilities due to nursing homes having differing reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Brookhaven at Lexington, 19.05% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of patients given antipsychotic medications. These medications may be used to treat several medical conditions, such as dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Brookhaven at Lexington, 18.65% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents given antianxiety medications. Antianxiety medications are given to patients experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Brookhaven at Lexington, 1.93% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients who are exhibiting depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Brookhaven at Lexington, 91.44% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term stay residents that were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Brookhaven at Lexington, 15.15% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of needing for assistance with ADL's could be a sign of deterioration of a patient's health.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Brookhaven at Lexington, 71.35% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term stay patients that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Higher levels of independence with ADL's generally correlates with successful rehabilitation.
- Lahey Hospital & Medical Center, BurlingtonAcute Care Hospitals 5.25 miles away41 & 45 Mall Road Burlington Massachusetts 01803Voluntary non-profit - Private(781) 744-5100
- Mount Auburn HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.62 miles away330 Mount Auburn Street Cambridge Massachusetts 02138Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 492-3500
- Newton-Wellesley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.81 miles away2014 Washington Street Newton Lower Falls Massachusetts 02462Voluntary non-profit - Other(617) 243-6000
- St Elizabeth's Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.15 miles away736 Cambridge Street Brighton Massachusetts 02135Proprietary(617) 789-3000
- Winchester HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.68 miles away41 Highland Avenue Winchester Massachusetts 01890Voluntary non-profit - Private(781) 729-9000
- Cambridge Health AllianceAcute Care Hospitals 6.98 miles away1493 Cambridge Street Cambridge Massachusetts 02138Government - Local(617) 665-2300
- Emerson Hospital -Acute Care Hospitals 7.72 miles away133 Old Road to 9 Acre Corner Concord Massachusetts 01742Voluntary non-profit - Private(978) 369-1400
- Beth Israel Deaconess Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.14 miles away330 Brookline Avenue Boston Massachusetts 02215Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 667-7000
- The Dialysis Center at Waltham2.34 miles away135 Beaver Street, Suite 111 Waltham Massachusetts 02452Dialysis Stations: 14 (781) 642-0331
- Davita Northeast Cambridge Dialysis4.1 miles away799 Concord Avenue Cambridge Massachusetts 02138CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (617) 547-7700
- Saint Elizabeth's Medical Center of Boston5.87 miles awayDialysis Unit - Ccp 7 736 Cambridge Street Brighton Massachusetts 02135Dialysis Stations: 17 (617) 789-2592
- Davita Woburn Dialysis5.92 miles away23 Warren Avenue Woburn Massachusetts 01801Dialysis Stations: 17 (781) 935-7700
- Dci Ball Square6.22 miles away643 Broadway Somerville Massachusetts 02145CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (617) 616-3600
- Davita Wellington Circle Dialysis Center6.35 miles away10 Cabot Road Suite 103b Medford Massachusetts 02155CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (781) 306-9740
- Davita Burlington Regional Dialysis6.62 miles away31 Mall Road-Dialysis Suite 1b Burlington Massachusetts 01803CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (781) 270-3580
- Medford Dialysis Center (Bma Medford)6.81 miles away305 Mystic Avenue Medford Massachusetts 02155CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 23 (781) 396-9282