With an address in Lexington, Massachusetts, Brookhaven at Lexington is one of just a few facilities in the area. It looks like this nursing home is ranked among the highest-rated facilities we found. Receiving an A+ in our grading system requires top-notch performance across the board. Based on our analysis, you can not go wrong here. Keep reading to find this nursing home's category grades, which are equally impressive. You really can't do any better than a straight A report card.
Brookhaven at Lexington
Updated May 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
1010 Waltham Street,
Lexington MA 02421
19.38% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to being a first rate nursing home overall, this nursing home also excelled in the category of nursing, where it received an A+. Few nursing homes performed better in this category. Our nursing score is primarily tied to the nursing home's nurse staffing. This nursing home provides an incredible 8.9 hours of nursing care per patient on a daily basis. Out of that total, many of those hours were provided by registered nurses, which is one of the most highly trained levels of nurses. On top of offering high levels of nursing care, this place also excelled in the quality measures we looked at. It performed as well as any facility in the country when it comes to minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls.
Long-term Care Quality
We also wanted to emphasize the fact that this facility performed remarkably in our long-term care rating. We awarded them a dominant score of A+ in this category. Nursing homes that receive this type of grade in this category tend to provide consistent 24/7 care to ensure patients are well cared for. In addition to really impressive nursing hour statistics, this nursing home's vaccination records was first-rate also. In fact, it vaccinated 100 percent of its patients against pneumonia. Finally, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Brookhaven at Lexington?
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home also received an A+ for its short-term care grade. Our short-term care scores are based in part on the nursing home's quantity of highly-skilled skilled healthcare professionals. This includes a vast spectrum of nursing services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, as well as other variations of therapy. This nursing home provides more services with physical therapists and registered nurses than most nursing homes we looked at. This is usually a favorable sign. Finally, we looked at the number of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that it outperformed the vast majority of nursing homes in this area with 61.2 percent of its residents returning home. This is a significantly higher rate than most facilities.
Adding to its amazing profile, this facility has also earned near flawless health inspections in recent years. We awarded them an impressive grade of A+ in this category. This made for a perfect report card for this place. Perhaps the most critical factor we look at in calculating our inspection grades is deficiencies. Deficiencies can be found on a facility's inspection reports. Nursing homes with higher grades in this category most likely avoided the most severe deficiencies involving things like patient abuse. Although this facility had a few deficiencies on its government inspection report, none were major deficiencies based on CMS' scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Brookhaven at Lexington Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Brookhaven at Lexington, 6.42% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of residents that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are often the result of residents not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing protocols reduces the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Brookhaven at Lexington, 3.57% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of residents who suffered from a major fall. Falls leading to severe injuries are considered by many experts to be a measure of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Major falls which result in injury are often the result of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Brookhaven at Lexington, 2.4% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of residents that suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections are sometimes linked to poorer hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Brookhaven at Lexington, 19.12% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of patients given antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic drugs are given to residents for a variety of conditions, including dementia. Unfortunately, in some cases, increased usage of these drugs may indicate a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Brookhaven at Lexington, 19% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is an indication of the percentage of long-term patients receiving antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Brookhaven at Lexington, 1.96% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients who are demonstrating symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Brookhaven at Lexington, 91.59% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term patients that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Brookhaven at Lexington, 15.22% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Brookhaven at Lexington, 10.96 Percentage of Patients
Measures the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Avoiding emergency medical situations is one way to gauge the well-being of patients during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Brookhaven at Lexington, 70.74% Percentage of Resident
Measures the percent of short-term stay patients that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Many in the industry would argue this is a measure of rehabilitation services.
- Lahey Hospital & Medical Center, BurlingtonAcute Care Hospitals 5.25 miles away41 & 45 Mall Road Burlington Massachusetts 01803Voluntary non-profit - Private(781) 744-5100
- Mount Auburn HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.62 miles away330 Mount Auburn Street Cambridge Massachusetts 02138Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 492-3500
- Newton-Wellesley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.81 miles away2014 Washington Street Newton Lower Falls Massachusetts 02462Voluntary non-profit - Other(617) 243-6000
- St Elizabeth's Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.15 miles away736 Cambridge Street Brighton Massachusetts 02135Proprietary(617) 789-3000
- Winchester HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.68 miles away41 Highland Avenue Winchester Massachusetts 01890Voluntary non-profit - Private(781) 729-9000
- Cambridge Health AllianceAcute Care Hospitals 6.98 miles away1493 Cambridge Street Cambridge Massachusetts 02138Government - Local(617) 665-2300
- Emerson Hospital -Acute Care Hospitals 7.72 miles away133 Old Road to 9 Acre Corner Concord Massachusetts 01742Voluntary non-profit - Private(978) 369-1400
- Beth Israel Deaconess Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.14 miles away330 Brookline Avenue Boston Massachusetts 02215Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 667-7000
- The Dialysis Center at Waltham2.34 miles away135 Beaver Street, Suite 111 Waltham Massachusetts 02452Dialysis Stations: 14 (781) 642-0331
- Davita Northeast Cambridge Dialysis4.1 miles away799 Concord Avenue Cambridge Massachusetts 02138CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (617) 547-7700
- Saint Elizabeth's Medical Center of Boston5.87 miles awayDialysis Unit - Ccp 7 736 Cambridge Street Brighton Massachusetts 02135Dialysis Stations: 17 (617) 789-2592
- Davita Woburn Dialysis5.92 miles away23 Warren Avenue Woburn Massachusetts 01801Dialysis Stations: 17 (781) 935-7700
- Dci Ball Square6.22 miles away643 Broadway Somerville Massachusetts 02145CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (617) 616-3600
- Davita Wellington Circle Dialysis Center6.35 miles away10 Cabot Road Suite 103b Medford Massachusetts 02155CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (781) 306-9740
- Davita Burlington Regional Dialysis6.62 miles away31 Mall Road-Dialysis Suite 1b Burlington Massachusetts 01803CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (781) 270-3580
- Medford Dialysis Center (Bma Medford)6.81 miles away305 Mystic Avenue Medford Massachusetts 02155CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 23 (781) 396-9282