Brookhaven at Lexington is located in Lexington, Massachusetts, a city with a total of 31,394 people. Sporting an overall rating of A+, this nursing home is undoubtedly a first-rate nursing home. In fact, we ranked this facility number 87 in the United States. This puts it in the top one percent of all nursing homes. As you will see below, this place performed equally well in our category ratings. In fact, we gave it straight A's!
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Brookhaven at Lexington
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Lexington senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- No Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Aquatic Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Best Nursing Home in Massachusetts Awards 2019
Best Nursing Home in Lexington, Massachusetts Awards 2019
Best Nursing Home in Massachusetts Awards 2020
Best Nursing Home in Lexington, Massachusetts Awards 2020
Top Nursing Home in Massachusetts Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
We also wanted to emphasize the fact that this facility earned near flawless government inspections recently. We gave them an impressive grade of A+ in this area. Inspection grades are tied to items located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Facilities that receive favorable grades in this category have very few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these facilities should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with risks to patient safety. While this nursing home had some deficiencies on its inspection report, none were major deficiencies based on CMS' deficiency scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Another reason we rated this nursing home so highly is that it received an A+ nursing grade. This is simply as good as it gets in this category. Our nursing grade is mostly associated with the facility's nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.7 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This facility performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a facility has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can many times be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Does this page answer your questions about Brookhaven at Lexington?
Long-term Care Quality
In the next category we looked at, this nursing home was given strong marks in the category of long-term care. For this reason, it was given one of our highest scores in that area with a grade of of A+. Facilities that do well in this category tend to be well-staffed and provide extensive hands on care to residents. In addition to looking at the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we also looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home administered the vaccine to 97.14286 percent of its patients, which is very impressive. Pneumonia sadly is often a life threatening condition for nursing home patients so we like it when a facility doesn't take any chances. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Short-term Care Quality
Moving on to our final area, this facility also performed admirably in our short-term care category. In fact, we awarded it a grade of A in this category. This rounded out truly elite report card. Short-term care grades are based on the nursing home's quantity of skilled highly skilled professionals. This includes a vast range of services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, not to mention other types of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not every facility employs these skilled professionals. However, according to the information they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Finally, we looked at the number of residents who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 0 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Brookhaven at Lexington Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Brookhaven at Lexington, 2.86% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of patients who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be a barometer of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, also called bed sores, are often caused by patients staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Brookhaven at Lexington, 2.86% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of patients that sustained a fall which resulted in severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Brookhaven at Lexington, 0% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint indicates the percentage of long-term stay patients who have suffered from a UTI. While a higher rate of these infections could reflect poorly on a nursing home's hygiene protocols, it is problematic to compare different nursing homes due to nursing homes having differing reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Brookhaven at Lexington, 8.57% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric indicates the percentage of long-term residents who were administered antipsychotic medication. Excessive reliance on these medications may mean a facility is using these medications to subdue residents in scenarios where such medications are not medically indicated. Nevertheless, some nursing homes may need to rely on these medications due to an increased number of patients suffering from dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Brookhaven at Lexington, 54.84% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of patients who were prescribed antianxiety medications. These drugs are typically prescribed to residents suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Brookhaven at Lexington, 5.71% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term stay residents exhibiting signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Brookhaven at Lexington, 89.48% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Brookhaven at Lexington, 3.45% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Brookhaven at Lexington, 5.6% of Patients
This metric measures the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Brookhaven at Lexington, 79.08% of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term stay patients that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Higher levels of independence with ADL's generally correlates with successful rehabilitation.
- Lahey Hospital & Medical Center, BurlingtonAcute Care Hospitals 5.25 miles away41 & 45 Mall Road Burlington Massachusetts 01803Voluntary non-profit - Private(781) 744-5100
- Mount Auburn HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.62 miles away330 Mount Auburn Street Cambridge Massachusetts 02138Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 492-3500
- Newton-Wellesley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.81 miles away2014 Washington Street Newton Lower Falls Massachusetts 02462Voluntary non-profit - Other(617) 243-6000
- St Elizabeth's Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.15 miles away736 Cambridge Street Brighton Massachusetts 02135Proprietary(617) 789-3000
- Winchester HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.68 miles away41 Highland Avenue Winchester Massachusetts 01890Voluntary non-profit - Private(781) 729-9000
- Cambridge Health AllianceAcute Care Hospitals 6.98 miles away1493 Cambridge Street Cambridge Massachusetts 02138Government - Local(617) 665-2300
- Emerson Hospital -Acute Care Hospitals 7.72 miles away133 Old Road to 9 Acre Corner Concord Massachusetts 01742Voluntary non-profit - Private(978) 369-1400
- Beth Israel Deaconess Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.14 miles away330 Brookline Avenue Boston Massachusetts 02215Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 667-7000
- The Dialysis Center at Waltham2.34 miles away135 Beaver Street, Suite 111 Waltham Massachusetts 02452Dialysis Stations: 14 (781) 642-0331
- Davita Northeast Cambridge Dialysis4.1 miles away799 Concord Avenue Cambridge Massachusetts 02138CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (617) 547-7700
- Saint Elizabeth's Medical Center of Boston5.87 miles awayDialysis Unit - Ccp 7 736 Cambridge Street Brighton Massachusetts 02135Dialysis Stations: 17 (617) 789-2592
- Davita Woburn Dialysis5.92 miles away23 Warren Avenue Woburn Massachusetts 01801Dialysis Stations: 17 (781) 935-7700
- Dci Ball Square6.22 miles away643 Broadway Somerville Massachusetts 02145CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (617) 616-3600
- Davita Wellington Circle Dialysis Center6.35 miles away10 Cabot Road Suite 103b Medford Massachusetts 02155CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (781) 306-9740
- Davita Burlington Regional Dialysis6.62 miles away31 Mall Road-Dialysis Suite 1b Burlington Massachusetts 01803CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (781) 270-3580
- Medford Dialysis Center (Bma Medford)6.81 miles away305 Mystic Avenue Medford Massachusetts 02155CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 23 (781) 396-9282