Brookdale Westlake Hills is in Austin, Texas, which is one of the largest metropolitan areas in the nation. This facility was given an A- overall, which is one of our better grades. Based on our ratings, you can't go wrong with this nursing home. The best aspect of this nursing home's strong report card was its inspection rating. We discuss inspections in the next paragraph
Brookdale Westlake Hills
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- No Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Catheter Care
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to performing well overall, this nursing home also earned nearly flawless government inspections. Consequently, it received one of our best scores in that area with an A+. Inspection ratings weigh several factors included in a nursing home's inspection reports. One of the most important criteria we rely on is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. Nursing homes with better grades in this area usually have very few severe deficiencies. Amazingly, this was one of the few nursing homes in the country that had no deficiencies whatsoever on its inspection report. This is very impressive. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Short-term Care Quality
Contributing to its superb profile, this nursing home also performed well in our short-term care area. In fact, it received a score of A for the area. Our short-term care grades are presumably most meaningful for people in need of rehabilitation from their nursing home. Rehabilitation usually utilizes higher levels of highly-skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing means not just nursing services, but also physical and speech therapy, as well as other variations of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not every nursing home employs these skilled professionals. However, based on the information they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Lastly, we looked at the number of patients who ultimately returned home from this facility. We found that 7.2 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Brookdale Westlake Hills?
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home received an impressive long-term care grade as well. We gave it one of our better grades in that area with a grade of B+. Long-term care ratings in this range generally require both around the clock care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine medical care. In addition to considering the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we analyzed the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility gave the vaccine to 74.242424 percent of its patients. This is a few points below what we were hoping for. While its vaccination rate was a bit lower than we hoped for, we were pleased to find nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. It had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Switching gears to our next area, this facility was awarded a decent nursing score. While this wasn't quite as elite as a few of its other grades, this is still not a major area of concern. In determining a facility's nursing score, we weigh the quantity of hours nurses are seeing patients as well as the level of licensure of those nurses. This facility provided just 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident each day. This is a low total compared with most nursing homes. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality-based metrics. Although this place got docked a bit for its nursing hours per resident, it excelled in a few of these quality measures. With fewer than five percent of its residents suffering from pressure ulcers, it fared well in this metric. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can typically be avoided by providing better nursing care, such as by having a system of turning patients more frequently.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Brookdale Westlake Hills Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Brookdale Westlake Hills, 7.94% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of residents who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin caused by remaining in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Brookdale Westlake Hills, 3.28% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure tells you the percent of long-term residents who suffered a fall which resulted in major injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but high rates of falls resulting in injuries may be an indicator of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Brookdale Westlake Hills, 1.64% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of residents who have had a urinary tract infection. These infections are sometimes linked to insufficient hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Brookdale Westlake Hills, 11.75% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. These medications are sometimes used to treat a variety of medical conditions, including dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Brookdale Westlake Hills, 22.77% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of patients who were prescribed antianxiety medications. These medications are commonly prescribed to residents suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Brookdale Westlake Hills, 4.66% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients demonstrating signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Brookdale Westlake Hills, 94.73% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents who were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Brookdale Westlake Hills, 17.29% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of residents that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living may indicate the erosion of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Brookdale Westlake Hills, 18.08% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percentage of residents that maintained mobility over time. Optimizing mobility is often a great sign for residents' health.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Brookdale Westlake Hills, 18.08 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Brookdale Westlake Hills, 11.87 Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care. Staying out of the emergency room is one way to measure the well-being of patients during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Brookdale Westlake Hills, 66.73% Percentage of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term residents who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Higher levels of independence with ADL's often correlates with better rehabilitation services.
Scores for Austin, TX
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Austin, Texas has 25 other nursing homes
- Arise Austin Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.53 miles away3003 Bee Caves Road Austin Texas 78746Voluntary non-profit - Other(512) 347-9888
- St David's South Austin Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.82 miles away901 West Ben White Blvd Austin Texas 78704Proprietary(512) 448-7107
- The Hospital at Westlake Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.9 miles away5656 Bee Caves Road, Suite M-302 Austin Texas 78746Proprietary(512) 327-0000
- Dell Seton Med Center at the University of TxAcute Care Hospitals 3.44 miles away601 E 15th Street Austin Texas 78701Voluntary non-profit - Private(512) 324-7000
- Ascension Seton Medical Center AustinAcute Care Hospitals 3.82 miles away1201 W 38th St Austin Texas 78705Physician(512) 324-1000
- St David's Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.16 miles away919 E 32nd St Austin Texas 78705Proprietary(512) 476-7111
- Dell Children's Medical Center of Central TexasChildrens 5.66 miles away4900 Mueller Blvd Austin Texas 78723Voluntary non-profit - Private(512) 324-0000
- Northwest Hills Surgical HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.21 miles away6818 Austin Ctr Blvd Suite 100 Austin Texas 78731Proprietary(512) 346-1994
- Satellite Dialysis Southwood2.72 miles away1701 W. Ben White Blvd, Suite #180 Austin Texas 78704CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (512) 383-0300
- Fresenius Medical Care Austin South2.97 miles away621 Radam Ln Austin Texas 78745CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (512) 707-7601
- El Milagro Dialysis Center3.68 miles away2800 S Ih 35 Suite 120 Austin Texas 78704CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (512) 448-9750
- Moncrief Dialysis Center3.71 miles away800 West 34th Street Suite 101 Austin Texas 78705Dialysis Stations: 24 (512) 485-7872
- South Austin Dialysis LLC4.01 miles away6114 South 1st Street Austin Texas 78745CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (512) 447-8500
- Waterloo Dialysis Center5.17 miles away5310 Burnet Road Unit 122 Austin Texas 78756CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (512) 420-9403
- Childrens Dialysis Clinic of Central Texas5.63 miles away1301 Barbara Jordan Blvd Suite 103 Austin Texas 78723Dialysis Stations: 7 (512) 524-4213
- Satellite Healthcare Mueller6.06 miles away1801 East 51st Street Bldg G Austin Texas 78723CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 48 (512) 927-0300