Brookdale Westlake Hills is in Austin, Texas, which is one of the largest metropolitan areas in the nation. This is a well above average facility, with an overall grade of B+. Based on our analysis, you could do much worse than this nursing home. This facility's impressive report card was highlighted by its inspection reports, which we will address in the next paragraph.
Brookdale Westlake Hills
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- No Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Catheter Care
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Top Nursing Home in Texas Awards 2020
Top Nursing Home in Texas Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
To go along with its strong overall grade, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A for our inspections rating. Our inspection grades are based on several items found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes that excel in this area typically have very few deficiencies on those reports. Most importantly, these facilities generally do not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. Amazingly, this was one of the few nursing homes in the country that had no deficiencies whatsoever on its inspection report. This is very impressive. This is what you like to see on an inspection report.
Short-term Care Quality
Contributing to this nursing home's list of achievements, it also was awarded a first-rate short-term care score. We awarded them an impressive grade of A in this area. In determining our short-term care grades, we look at the facility's levels of highly skilled nursing, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists speech therapists and other highly skilled individuals. This score is often a useful measure of a facility's rehabilitation. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not all facilities employs these types of nurses. However, according to the information they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Finally, we assessed the number of patients who ultimately returned home from this facility. We found that 6.9 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home.
Does this page answer your questions about Brookdale Westlake Hills?
Turning to the category of nursing care, this facility didn't perform quite as well in this area as some of the categories discussed above. Nevertheless, a grade of B- in this category is by no means a bad score. We assessed the licensure of nurses working for the nursing home, in addition to the quantity of time those nurses worked with patients, in computing our grade in this area. This nursing home provided just 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a relatively low total compared with most other nursing homes. Lastly, our nursing ratings also factor in quality-based metrics, such as preventing major falls. Despite not having the highest total nursing hours per resident, this place actually performed admirably in the metric of preventing major falls. This is generally an indicator that a place has quality controls in place. Many falls can be avoided if a nursing home supplies enough nurses to assist its patients.
Long-term Care Quality
The next category we rated is long-term care. This nursing home was awarded a favorable long-term care score this year, with a grade of B-. While this isn't nearly as impressive as some of its other grades, this is nevertheless an acceptable score in that category. For long-term care residents, the primary objective is to keep patients as healthy and safe as possible. This is different than skilled nursing or short-term care where the goal is to rehabilitate residents. After looking at the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we then analyzed the facility's vaccination records. We were a bit worried that this facility vaccinated 67.164185 percent of its patients against pneumonia, which is significantly less than the national average. On a more positive note, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had only 0 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Brookdale Westlake Hills Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Brookdale Westlake Hills, 7.79% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients that are suffering from pressure ulcers . We use this statistic in calculating both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Brookdale Westlake Hills, 3.33% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure gauges the percent of long-term stay patients which have had a fall which resulted in serious injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but excessive numbers of falls may be an indicator of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Brookdale Westlake Hills, 1.51% of Patients had UTIs
This metric gauges the percentage of long-term patients who have had urinary tract infections. UTI's may be an indication of poor nursing care. Nevertheless, this datapoint may be misleading for some nursing homes due to different reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Brookdale Westlake Hills, 11.48% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of residents prescribed antipsychotic drugs. These drugs are sometimes used for treating a variety of conditions, such as Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Brookdale Westlake Hills, 22.56% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint gauges the percent of long-term stay patients receiving antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Brookdale Westlake Hills, 4.81% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents who are demonstrating depressive symptoms. Higher rates of depression may be a sign worse patient care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Brookdale Westlake Hills, 94.64% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents who have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Brookdale Westlake Hills, 17.1% Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term patients who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as dressing and continence. Many argue that this is a reasonable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Brookdale Westlake Hills, 16.36% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percentage of patients that maintained mobility over time. Retaining mobility is often a great sign for residents' health.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Brookdale Westlake Hills, 16.36 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Brookdale Westlake Hills, 11.4 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Brookdale Westlake Hills, 66.86% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint measures the percentage of short-term care residents that experienced functional improvements.
Scores for Austin, TX
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Austin, Texas has 25 other nursing homes
- Arise Austin Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.53 miles away3003 Bee Caves Road Austin Texas 78746Voluntary non-profit - Other(512) 347-9888
- St David's South Austin Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.82 miles away901 West Ben White Blvd Austin Texas 78704Proprietary(512) 448-7107
- The Hospital at Westlake Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.9 miles away5656 Bee Caves Road, Suite M-302 Austin Texas 78746Proprietary(512) 327-0000
- Dell Seton Med Center at the University of TxAcute Care Hospitals 3.44 miles away601 E 15th Street Austin Texas 78701Voluntary non-profit - Private(512) 324-7000
- Ascension Seton Medical Center AustinAcute Care Hospitals 3.82 miles away1201 W 38th St Austin Texas 78705Physician(512) 324-1000
- St David's Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.16 miles away919 E 32nd St Austin Texas 78705Proprietary(512) 476-7111
- Dell Children's Medical Center of Central TexasChildrens 5.66 miles away4900 Mueller Blvd Austin Texas 78723Voluntary non-profit - Private(512) 324-0000
- Northwest Hills Surgical HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.21 miles away6818 Austin Ctr Blvd Suite 100 Austin Texas 78731Proprietary(512) 346-1994
- Satellite Dialysis Southwood2.72 miles away1701 W. Ben White Blvd, Suite #180 Austin Texas 78704CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (512) 383-0300
- Fresenius Medical Care Austin South2.97 miles away621 Radam Ln Austin Texas 78745CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (512) 707-7601
- El Milagro Dialysis Center3.68 miles away2800 S Ih 35 Suite 120 Austin Texas 78704CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (512) 448-9750
- Moncrief Dialysis Center3.71 miles away800 West 34th Street Suite 101 Austin Texas 78705Dialysis Stations: 24 (512) 485-7872
- South Austin Dialysis LLC4.01 miles away6114 South 1st Street Austin Texas 78745CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (512) 447-8500
- Waterloo Dialysis Center5.17 miles away5310 Burnet Road Unit 122 Austin Texas 78756CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (512) 420-9403
- Childrens Dialysis Clinic of Central Texas5.63 miles away1301 Barbara Jordan Blvd Suite 103 Austin Texas 78723Dialysis Stations: 7 (512) 524-4213
- Satellite Healthcare Mueller6.06 miles away1801 East 51st Street Bldg G Austin Texas 78723CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 48 (512) 927-0300