Brookdale Spicewood Springs is a small non-profit facility in Austin, Texas. Sporting an overall rating of A, this is undoubtedly an elite nursing home. Not surprisingly, this turned out to be one of the top three facilities in the city. If you look further down this page, you can see this nursing home's category ratings, which appear to be just as strong as its overall grade.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Brookdale Spicewood Springs
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Austin senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Top Nursing Home in Texas Awards 2019
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
In addition to being a first-rate facility overall, this nursing home also excelled in the category of short-term care, where it received an elite grade of A+. Few facilities fared better in this category. In determining our short-term care ratings, we look at a facility's levels of skilled nursing services, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists occupational therapists and other licensed professionals. This grade is frequently a useful assessment of a nursing home's rehabilitation. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not all nursing homes employs these types of nurses. However, based on the information they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Finally, we looked at the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 6.6 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
Adding to this facility's impressive resume, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A for our inspections rating. Our inspection scores account for several factors included in a nursing home's inspection report. One of the most important criteria we consider is the number and severity of deficiencies. Facilities with better grades in this category typically have very few severe deficiencies. While this nursing home had a few minor dings on its report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are labeled as categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This means that the inspectors did not consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Does this page answer your questions about Brookdale Spicewood Springs?
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home also was strong in the area of long-term care, where it received a score of A-. Not many facilities fared better in this area. Long-term care grades in this range generally require both 24/7 care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine medical care. Once we finished looking at the quantity of nursing care, we turned to the facility's vaccination data. This nursing home vaccinated 97.5 percent of its patients against pneumonia, which is very impressive. Pneumonia can be a deadly illness for nursing home residents so we like it when a nursing home doesn't leave its residents vulnerable. Finally, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had only 0 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
The last category we graded was nursing, where this facility was awarded a grade of A-. This completed a very impressive report card. Very few nursing homes received an A- or better in all four categories. There are a variety of data points included in this grade. Many of the subcategories reflect levels of nurse staffing. This particular nursing home provided 0.7 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality-based metrics and this nursing home excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any place the nation in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can generally be prevented by offering better nursing care, such as by having a protocol of moving residents more often.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Brookdale Spicewood Springs Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Brookdale Spicewood Springs, 27.27% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic gauges the percentage of long-term care residents which have new or worsened pressure ulcers . We bake this statistic into our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Brookdale Spicewood Springs, 15% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint is an indication of the percent of long-term patients who had a fall resulting in major injury. We use this statistic in computing our nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Brookdale Spicewood Springs, 0% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of residents who suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered by many experts to be a measure of the quality of nursing care . UTI's are often linked to a facility with worst hygiene practices. However, this datapoint could be misleading for certain facilities due to varying reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Brookdale Spicewood Springs, 2.5% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications may be vital to many patients, it is important to make sure these drugs are being used only where medically required. In limited cases, excessive reliance on these medications may suggest a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Brookdale Spicewood Springs, 10.34% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents who are prescribed antianxiety medication. These drugs are commonly used to treat patients suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Brookdale Spicewood Springs, 21.05% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term patients demonstrating depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Brookdale Spicewood Springs, 78.75% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term stay residents that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Brookdale Spicewood Springs, 16.67% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term patients who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as dressing and eating.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Brookdale Spicewood Springs, 13.24% of Patients
This metric measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Brookdale Spicewood Springs, 61.31% of Resident
Measures the percentage of short-term care residents who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Many in the industry would argue that this is a reliable measure of a nursing home's rehabilitation services.
Scores for Austin, TX
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of D
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Austin, Texas has 9 other nursing homes
- Northwest Hills Surgical HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.68 miles away6818 Austin Ctr Blvd Suite 100 Austin Texas 78731Proprietary(512) 346-1994
- Ascension Seton NorthwestAcute Care Hospitals 2.29 miles away11113 Research Boulevard Austin Texas 78759Voluntary non-profit - Private(512) 324-6000
- North Austin Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.04 miles away12221 Mopac Expressway North Austin Texas 78758Proprietary(512) 901-1000
- Ascension Seton Medical Center AustinAcute Care Hospitals 4.71 miles away1201 W 38th St Austin Texas 78705Physician(512) 324-1000
- Dell Children's Medical Center of Central TexasChildrens 5.86 miles away4900 Mueller Blvd Austin Texas 78723Voluntary non-profit - Private(512) 324-0000
- St David's Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.05 miles away919 E 32nd St Austin Texas 78705Proprietary(512) 476-7111
- The Hospital at Westlake Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.73 miles away5656 Bee Caves Road, Suite M-302 Austin Texas 78746Proprietary(512) 327-0000
- Dell Seton Med Center at the University of TxAcute Care Hospitals 6.94 miles away601 E 15th Street Austin Texas 78701Voluntary non-profit - Private(512) 324-7000
- Madison Dialysis, LLC2.43 miles away11150 Research Blvd. Austin Texas 78759Dialysis Stations: 12 (512) 342-1097
- Satellite Dialysis Metric2.58 miles away10000 Metric Blvd Suite 100 Austin Texas 78758CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (512) 977-0300
- Waterloo Dialysis Center3.36 miles away5310 Burnet Road Unit 122 Austin Texas 78756CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (512) 420-9403
- Wellbound of Austin4.03 miles away12176 N Mo Pac Expressway, Suite A Austin Texas 78758Dialysis Stations: 4 (512) 833-6695
- Nna - North4.22 miles away12221 Renfert Way Suite 100 Austin Texas 78758CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 29 (512) 873-0346
- Moncrief Dialysis Center4.99 miles away800 West 34th Street Suite 101 Austin Texas 78705Dialysis Stations: 24 (512) 485-7872
- Childrens Dialysis Clinic of Central Texas5.6 miles away1301 Barbara Jordan Blvd Suite 103 Austin Texas 78723Dialysis Stations: 7 (512) 524-4213
- Satellite Healthcare Mueller6.12 miles away1801 East 51st Street Bldg G Austin Texas 78723CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 48 (512) 927-0300