Brookdale Spicewood Springs is a small non-profit facility in Austin, Texas. Sporting an overall rating of B, this is a fine option. This nursing home proved to be one of the better nursing homes in Austin. The best part of this facility's impressive report card was its inspection score. Inspection grades are discussed in the next section
Brookdale Spicewood Springs
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Registered Staff Hours
This facility received a strong overall score as described above, but we especially wanted to emphasize its excellent inspections in recent years. We gave them an A- in this area. Our inspection ratings weigh a host of factors found on a facility's inspection reports. One key criteria we consider is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. Facilities with better grades in this category typically have very few of these severe deficiencies. While this place had some minor dings on its inspection report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones found in categories G through L. This tells you that the government inspectors did not consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
Adding to this nursing home's list of strengths, it also was awarded a superb long-term care grade. We gave them a strong strong of A- in this category. Long-term care scores in this range generally require both around the clock care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine medical care. In addition to looking at the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we also looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home provided the vaccine to 100 percent of its patients, which is much higher than the majority of nursing homes. Finally, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. It had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Brookdale Spicewood Springs?
Short-term Care Quality
Turning to an additional strength for this nursing home, we gave them one of our more favorable scores in our short-term care category as well, with a grade of B. In our short-term care category, we seek to forge a valuable barometer for rehabilitation. In doing so, we look at a facility's level of skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as speech therapy. It doesn't look like this facility submitted information on registered nurse or physical therapist staffing. The last item we assessed in this area is the percentage of residents who eventually returned home from the nursing home. We found that 6.8 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home as opposed to remaining at the facility on a permanent basis.
The next category we graded is nursing. We awarded this nursing home a grade of D for nursing, leaving this as its worst area. There are many factors included in this grade. Many of the data points are tied to levels of nurse staffing. This nursing home provided a meager 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident daily. This statistic is far below average. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing ratings. This nursing home performed well when it comes to avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these data points to be reliable measures of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Brookdale Spicewood Springs Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Brookdale Spicewood Springs, 7.94% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of residents who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage due to remaining in the same position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Brookdale Spicewood Springs, 3.28% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic indicates the percent of long-term care patients who had a fall which resulted in serious injury. We use this statistic in calculating our nursing scores.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Brookdale Spicewood Springs, 1.64% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of residents that sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered to be an indicator of nursing care . UTI's are routinely associated with a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this datapoint could be skewed for certain facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Brookdale Spicewood Springs, 11.75% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This gauges the percentage of long-term patients who are prescribed antipsychotic medication. High levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate that a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior in scenarios where such medications are not medically indicated. Nevertheless, some nursing homes need to rely more on these drugs due to an increased number of residents with Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Brookdale Spicewood Springs, 22.77% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of residents who were given antianxiety medications. Antianxiety medications are administered to residents suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Brookdale Spicewood Springs, 4.66% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term patients who are demonstrating symptoms of depression. Some experts believe that this is a measure of resident quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Brookdale Spicewood Springs, 94.73% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents who were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for nursing home patients, making these types of vaccines critical to patient health.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Brookdale Spicewood Springs, 11.87 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is generally a correlation between staying out of the emergency room and the overall quality of rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Brookdale Spicewood Springs, 66.73% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percent of short-term patients that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. High levels of autonomy with ADL's generally correlates with better rehabilitation.
Scores for Austin, TX
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Austin, Texas has 25 other nursing homes
- Northwest Hills Surgical HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.68 miles away6818 Austin Ctr Blvd Suite 100 Austin Texas 78731Proprietary(512) 346-1994
- Ascension Seton NorthwestAcute Care Hospitals 2.29 miles away11113 Research Boulevard Austin Texas 78759Voluntary non-profit - Private(512) 324-6000
- North Austin Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.04 miles away12221 Mopac Expressway North Austin Texas 78758Proprietary(512) 901-1000
- Ascension Seton Medical Center AustinAcute Care Hospitals 4.71 miles away1201 W 38th St Austin Texas 78705Physician(512) 324-1000
- Dell Children's Medical Center of Central TexasChildrens 5.86 miles away4900 Mueller Blvd Austin Texas 78723Voluntary non-profit - Private(512) 324-0000
- St David's Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.05 miles away919 E 32nd St Austin Texas 78705Proprietary(512) 476-7111
- The Hospital at Westlake Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.73 miles away5656 Bee Caves Road, Suite M-302 Austin Texas 78746Proprietary(512) 327-0000
- Dell Seton Med Center at the University of TxAcute Care Hospitals 6.94 miles away601 E 15th Street Austin Texas 78701Voluntary non-profit - Private(512) 324-7000
- Madison Dialysis, LLC2.43 miles away11150 Research Blvd. Austin Texas 78759Dialysis Stations: 12 (512) 342-1097
- Satellite Dialysis Metric2.58 miles away10000 Metric Blvd Suite 100 Austin Texas 78758CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (512) 977-0300
- Waterloo Dialysis Center3.36 miles away5310 Burnet Road Unit 122 Austin Texas 78756CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (512) 420-9403
- Wellbound of Austin4.03 miles away12176 N Mo Pac Expressway, Suite A Austin Texas 78758Dialysis Stations: 4 (512) 833-6695
- Nna - North4.22 miles away12221 Renfert Way Suite 100 Austin Texas 78758CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 29 (512) 873-0346
- Moncrief Dialysis Center4.99 miles away800 West 34th Street Suite 101 Austin Texas 78705Dialysis Stations: 24 (512) 485-7872
- Childrens Dialysis Clinic of Central Texas5.6 miles away1301 Barbara Jordan Blvd Suite 103 Austin Texas 78723Dialysis Stations: 7 (512) 524-4213
- Satellite Healthcare Mueller6.12 miles away1801 East 51st Street Bldg G Austin Texas 78723CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 48 (512) 927-0300