Brookdale Spicewood Springs is a small non-profit facility in Austin, Texas. Sporting an overall rating of A, this is undoubtedly an elite nursing home. Not surprisingly, this turned out to be one of the top three facilities in the city. If you look further down this page, you can see this nursing home's category ratings, which are also quite good.
Brookdale Spicewood Springs
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Top Nursing Home in Texas Awards 2019
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
In addition to receiving a great overall grade, this nursing home excelled in our shot-term care category. In fact, we awarded it a grade of A for that category. In determining our short-term care grades, we analyze the facility's levels of skilled nursing services, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists speech therapists and other types of therapists. This score is considered to be a solid assessment of the facility's ability to rehabilitate patients. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not all facilities employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, according to the information this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Finally, we looked at the percentage of residents who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 6.6 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
Long-term Care Quality
Contributing to its top-shelf resume, this facility also excelled in our long-term care area. In fact, we gave it a grade of A- for that area. Nursing homes that receive this type of grade in long-term care typically provide consistent around the clock care to ensure residents are kept in good health. After looking at the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we then looked at the nursing home's vaccination records. This nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its patients against pneumonia, which is far higher than the vast majority of nursing homes. Lastly, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. It had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Brookdale Spicewood Springs?
Another impressive feature of this facility is its inspection grade. In that area, we awarded this facility a grade of A-. Perhaps the most critical factor we look at in computing our inspection scores is deficiencies. These deficiencies can be found on a nursing home's inspection reports. Places with better scores in this area typically avoided the more severe deficiencies involving things like patient abuse. Although this facility had some deficiencies on its government inspection report, none were major deficiencies based on CMS' deficiency scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Turning to our fourth category, this nursing home received a highly favorable nursing score. In fact, we awarded it a B+ in that category, wrapping up one of our more favorable report cards. In computing our nursing scores, we assess both nursing hours and the skill levels of the nurses. This particular nursing home provided 0.7 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This nursing home performed very well in the area of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Brookdale Spicewood Springs Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Brookdale Spicewood Springs, 7.79% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of patients who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also known as bed sores, are routinely the result of patients staying in one position for too long. Better nursing care reduces the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Brookdale Spicewood Springs, 3.33% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric measures the percentage of long-term care patients which suffered a fall leading to serious injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but excessive numbers of falls could be a sign of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Brookdale Spicewood Springs, 1.51% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of patients who sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's are often associated with facilities with lower levels of hygiene. Closer supervision can reduce the number likelihood of residents sustaining infections. We want to point out that this metric is affected by by the fact that nursing homes have different reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Brookdale Spicewood Springs, 11.48% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents who were given antipsychotic drugs. These drugs may be used for several medical conditions, including dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Brookdale Spicewood Springs, 22.56% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic is an indication of the percent of long-term residents which are administered antianxiety medication. These medications are prescribed to residents experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Brookdale Spicewood Springs, 4.81% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term residents showing signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Brookdale Spicewood Springs, 94.64% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients who were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Brookdale Spicewood Springs, 17.1% Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term residents who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as dressing and eating. Many in the industry argue that this is a measure of a resident's well-being.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Brookdale Spicewood Springs, 11.4 Percentage of Patients
Measures the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Brookdale Spicewood Springs, 66.86% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percent of short-term residents that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
Scores for Austin, TX
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Austin, Texas has 25 other nursing homes
- Northwest Hills Surgical HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.68 miles away6818 Austin Ctr Blvd Suite 100 Austin Texas 78731Proprietary(512) 346-1994
- Ascension Seton NorthwestAcute Care Hospitals 2.29 miles away11113 Research Boulevard Austin Texas 78759Voluntary non-profit - Private(512) 324-6000
- North Austin Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.04 miles away12221 Mopac Expressway North Austin Texas 78758Proprietary(512) 901-1000
- Ascension Seton Medical Center AustinAcute Care Hospitals 4.71 miles away1201 W 38th St Austin Texas 78705Physician(512) 324-1000
- Dell Children's Medical Center of Central TexasChildrens 5.86 miles away4900 Mueller Blvd Austin Texas 78723Voluntary non-profit - Private(512) 324-0000
- St David's Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.05 miles away919 E 32nd St Austin Texas 78705Proprietary(512) 476-7111
- The Hospital at Westlake Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.73 miles away5656 Bee Caves Road, Suite M-302 Austin Texas 78746Proprietary(512) 327-0000
- Dell Seton Med Center at the University of TxAcute Care Hospitals 6.94 miles away601 E 15th Street Austin Texas 78701Voluntary non-profit - Private(512) 324-7000
- Madison Dialysis, LLC2.43 miles away11150 Research Blvd. Austin Texas 78759Dialysis Stations: 12 (512) 342-1097
- Satellite Dialysis Metric2.58 miles away10000 Metric Blvd Suite 100 Austin Texas 78758CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (512) 977-0300
- Waterloo Dialysis Center3.36 miles away5310 Burnet Road Unit 122 Austin Texas 78756CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (512) 420-9403
- Wellbound of Austin4.03 miles away12176 N Mo Pac Expressway, Suite A Austin Texas 78758Dialysis Stations: 4 (512) 833-6695
- Nna - North4.22 miles away12221 Renfert Way Suite 100 Austin Texas 78758CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 29 (512) 873-0346
- Moncrief Dialysis Center4.99 miles away800 West 34th Street Suite 101 Austin Texas 78705Dialysis Stations: 24 (512) 485-7872
- Childrens Dialysis Clinic of Central Texas5.6 miles away1301 Barbara Jordan Blvd Suite 103 Austin Texas 78723Dialysis Stations: 7 (512) 524-4213
- Satellite Healthcare Mueller6.12 miles away1801 East 51st Street Bldg G Austin Texas 78723CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 48 (512) 927-0300