Brighton Place Spring Valley is a small facility located in Spring Valley, California. This is a quality facility with a B overall. This was right in line with the city grade in Spring Valley. You could certainly do much worse than this place. The best aspect of this facility's strong profile is its nursing grade. Nursing grades are discussed in the next paragraph
Brighton Place Spring Valley
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to being a quality nursing home overall, this nursing home really excelled in nursing, where it received an A-. Our nursing score assesses quite a few datapoints, most of which are based on nursing hours. This particular nursing home provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This nursing home performed very well when it comes to avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
In addition, this facility also excelled in the area of inspections, where it received a grade of A-. Inspection scores are tied to many items located in the a nursing home's inspections. Facilities that excel in this category tend to have very few deficiencies on those reports. Most importantly, these facilities should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with risks to patient safety. Although this nursing home had a few deficiencies on its government inspection report, none of them were severe based on CMS' deficiency scale. A couple relatively minor dings aren't necessarily something to panic about.
Does this page answer your questions about Brighton Place Spring Valley?
Short-term Care Quality
This facility was given a favorable short-term care grade as well. We awarded it one of our better grades in that category with a score of B+. Our short-term care grades are considered to be more important for residents needing a nursing home for rehabilitation. Rehabilitation usually mandates more skilled nursing services. This means not just nursing services, but also physical and respiratory therapy, as well as other variations of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not every nursing home employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, based on the information they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The last item we considered in this category is the number of residents that who were able to eventually return home from the nursing home. We found that 5.5 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home as opposed to remaining at the facility on a permanent basis.
Long-term Care Quality
The next category we looked at is long-term care. This nursing home was given a grade of B- in this area. In determining these long-term care scores, we analyze the facility's personal care services. On top of considering the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home provided the vaccine to 100 percent of its patients, which is more than the vast majority of nursing homes. Lastly, this place was also able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Brighton Place Spring Valley Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Brighton Place Spring Valley, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of patients who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also known as bed sores, are often caused by residents not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing protocols reduces the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Brighton Place Spring Valley, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of residents who suffered from a fall which resulted in serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Brighton Place Spring Valley, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of patients that suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections may be linked to inadequate hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Brighton Place Spring Valley, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This gauges the percent of long-term stay patients receiving antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications serve an important medical purpose, it is important to make sure these drugs are being used appropriately. In limited situations, excessive reliance on these medications may suggest that a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Brighton Place Spring Valley, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients prescribed antianxiety medications. These drugs are commonly prescribed to residents suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Brighton Place Spring Valley, 4.64% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients showing symptoms of depression. Increased rates of depression may reveal a lower level of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Brighton Place Spring Valley, 95.44% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term stay patients that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for seniors, making these types of vaccines critical to patient well-being.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Brighton Place Spring Valley, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living could indicate erosion of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Brighton Place Spring Valley, 12.45% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percent of residents who remained mobile levels over time. Retaining mobility is often a great sign for residents' health.
In Brighton Place Spring Valley, 1.61 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of care. There is a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and the quality of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Brighton Place Spring Valley, 12.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric tracks the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term resident care. Minimizing rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is key to restoring the physical well-being of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Brighton Place Spring Valley, 9.83 Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Brighton Place Spring Valley, 79.79% Percentage of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term patients that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. High levels of performance with activities of daily living often correlates with successful rehabilitation.
- Grossmont HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.95 miles away5555 Grossmont Center Drive Box 58 La Mesa California 91942Government - Hospital District or Authority(619) 465-0711
- Alvarado Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.6 miles away6655 Alvarado Road San Diego California 92120Proprietary(619) 229-3172
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - ZionAcute Care Hospitals 6.15 miles away4647 Zion Ave San Diego California 92120Voluntary non-profit - Private(619) 528-5000
- Paradise Valley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.41 miles away2400 East 4th St National City California 91950Proprietary(619) 470-4321
- Nmc San DiegoAcute Care - Department of Defense 8.28 miles away34800 Bob Wilson Drive San Diego California 92134Department of Defense(619) 532-6400
- Scripps Mercy HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.18 miles away4077 5th Ave San Diego California 92103Voluntary non-profit - Private(619) 294-8111
- Sharp Chula Vista Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.26 miles away751 Medical Center Court Chula Vista California 91911Proprietary(619) 502-5800
- Sharp Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.47 miles away7901 Frost St San Diego California 92123Voluntary non-profit - Private(858) 939-3400
- Fmc-La Mesa Dialysis Center2.47 miles away5995 Severin Drive La Mesa California 91942CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (619) 462-9992
- Davita-College Dialysis3.08 miles away6535 University Avenue San Diego California 92115CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (619) 287-8796
- Fmc-Dialysis Services of College3.62 miles away5961 University Avenue Suite 317 San Diego California 92115CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (619) 286-0821
- Fmc-Rai-Fletcher Parkway-El Cajon4.2 miles away858 Fletcher Parkway El Cajon California 92020CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (619) 442-4122
- Fmc-Dialysis Services of Paradise4.91 miles away6919 Paradise Valley Road San Diego California 92139CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (619) 475-2872
- Fmc-Balboa East County5.18 miles away570 N. Second Street El Cajon California 92021CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (619) 588-7500
- Davita-San Diego East5.64 miles away292 Euclid Avenue, Suite 100 San Diego California 92114CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (619) 262-7225
- Fmc-Rai-Mission Gorge San Diego6.15 miles away7007 Mission Gorge Road, 1st Floor San Diego California 92120CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 33 (619) 229-1070