Brighton Gardens of Prairie Village is a facility in Prairie Village, Kansas. This city has a total of 20,945 people. It looks like this is a fine facility. We gave it an overall grade of B, which is a quality score. This facility definitely has plenty working in its favor. The best aspect of this facility's impressive report card is its short-term care grade. short-term care grades are discussed in the next paragraph
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Brighton Gardens of Prairie Village
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Prairie Village senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
To go along with its strong overall grade, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A+ for our short-term care grade. Our short-term care grades are likely most important for folks needing a nursing home for rehabilitation. Rehabilitation usually mandates additional skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing includes not merely nursing, but also physical and respiratory therapy, as well as other forms of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not every nursing home employs these skilled professionals. However, according to the information they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The last statistic we assessed in this area is the percentage of residents who ultimately were able to return home from the nursing home. We found that 6.5 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home as opposed to remaining at the nursing home on a permanent basis.
One of the other reasons we rated this nursing home so highly is that it received a very impressive nursing grade. In fact, nursing turned out to be its second best category grade. In that category, we gave this nursing home an B+. We analyzed the qualifications of nurses employed by the nursing home, as well as the quantity of time those nurses spent with residents, in calculating our score in this area. This facility provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality-based metrics and this nursing home excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any place Kansas in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can many times be avoided by providing better nursing care, such as by employing a policy of moving a patient more often.
Does this page answer your questions about Brighton Gardens of Prairie Village?
This nursing home also earned favorable inspections in recent years. We awarded them one of our better scores in that category, with a B. Inspection grades weigh several factors, including deficiencies, substantiated complaints and federal fines. You can find more information about each of these items by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. While this facility had a few minor dings on its report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones labeled as categories G through L. This tells you that the inspectors did not consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. We should note that deficiency-free inspection reports are rare in this industry.
Long-term Care Quality
This facility's worst category is long-term care, which is the last area we analyzed. It received an F in this area. In spite of a few excellent grades in other categories, this grade is still somewhat disappointing so we felt obligated to draw your attention to it. In a long-term care setting, the nursing home's primary objective is to keep patients as healthy and safe as possible. This is different than skilled nursing or short-term care where the goal is to rehabilitate residents. One of the statistics we considered in addition to nursing hours is vaccinations. Thankfully, this facility administered the pneumonia vaccination to 95.945946 percent of its residents. To our surprise, this nursing home was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days. Sadly, a few of its other scores in the category were not as favorable as these.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Brighton Gardens of Prairie Village Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Brighton Gardens of Prairie Village, 6.5% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of patients that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are routinely caused by patients staying in one position for too long. Better nursing protocols reduces the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Brighton Gardens of Prairie Village, 5% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of residents who suffered from a fall leading to severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Brighton Gardens of Prairie Village, 3.56% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint tells you the percent of long-term stay patients which suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's may be a sign of worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this metric could be skewed for some facilities due to varying reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Brighton Gardens of Prairie Village, 18.09% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric is an indication of the percentage of long-term residents who were administered antipsychotic medication. High levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents in situations where such medications aren't medically required. However, some facilities may need to rely on these drugs due to an increased number of patients with cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Brighton Gardens of Prairie Village, 22% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of residents who were given antianxiety drugs. These medications are generally used to treat residents suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Brighton Gardens of Prairie Village, 5.66% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term care residents demonstrating symptoms of depression. Many in the industry argue this is a measure of quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Brighton Gardens of Prairie Village, 91.03% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients who received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Brighton Gardens of Prairie Village, 16.97% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living may be a sign of deterioration of a resident's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Brighton Gardens of Prairie Village, 17% Percentage of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents that maintained mobility.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Brighton Gardens of Prairie Village, 17 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care. There is a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Brighton Gardens of Prairie Village, 12.31 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care. There is generally a correlation between staying out of the emergency room and the quality of care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Brighton Gardens of Prairie Village, 75.24% Percentage of Resident
Measures the percentage of short-term care residents who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Many in the industry argue this is a measure of rehabilitation performance.
- Adventhealth Shawnee MissionAcute Care Hospitals 3.33 miles away9100 W 74th Street Overland Park Kansas 66204Voluntary non-profit - Church(913) 676-2152
- Research Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.89 miles away2316 E Meyer Blvd Kansas City Missouri 64132Proprietary(816) 276-4000
- St Lukes Hospital of Kansas CityAcute Care Hospitals 3.9 miles away4401 Wornall Road Kansas City Missouri 64111Voluntary non-profit - Private(816) 932-2000
- University of Kansas HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.06 miles away4000 Cambridge Street Kansas City Kansas 66160Government - Hospital District or Authority(913) 588-7332
- St Joseph Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.67 miles away1000 Carondelet Dr Kansas City Missouri 64114Proprietary(816) 942-4400
- Menorah Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.08 miles away5721 West 119th Street Leawood Kansas 66209Voluntary non-profit - Other(913) 498-6773
- Childrens Mercy HospitalChildrens 6.41 miles away2401 Gillham Road Kansas City Missouri 64108Voluntary non-profit - Private(816) 234-3000
- Overland Park Reg Med CtrAcute Care Hospitals 6.59 miles away10500 Quivira Road Lenexa Kansas 66215Proprietary(913) 541-5000
- Concerto Kansas, LLC2.47 miles away6740 W 121st St Suite 100 Leawood Kansas 66209Dialysis Stations: 1 (913) 283-8063
- Dialysis Clinics, Inc - Baptist3.09 miles away6530 Troost Ave Kansas City Missouri 64131CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (816) 363-8228
- Dialysis Clinics, Inc - Swope Parkway3.09 miles away6530 Troost Ave Kansas City Missouri 64131Dialysis Stations: 24 (816) 363-8228
- Rai - Rainbow Blvd - Westwood3.16 miles away4720 Rainbow Blvd Suite 200 Mission Kansas 66205CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (913) 403-0441
- Kansas City Dialysis & Transplant Center3.89 miles away2340 E Meyer Blvd Building 1, Suite #100 Kansas City Missouri 64132CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 33 (816) 444-2098
- Davita Mission Dialysis4.34 miles away2852 W 47th Ave Kansas City Kansas 66103Dialysis Stations: 12 (913) 403-1843
- Davita - Westport Renal Center4.43 miles away3947 Broadway Blvd Kansas City Missouri 64111CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (816) 531-1181
- Johnson County Dialysis4.44 miles away10453 W 84th Terrace Overland Park Kansas 66214CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (913) 492-2044