Brier Oak on Sunset is located in the large metropolitan area of Los Angeles, California. With a really poor overall grade of F, this nursing home isn't high on our list. We ranked this as one of the bottom 10 rated facilities in Los Angeles. Since the city offers more than 60 other facilities, you will probably be able to find a better option here. We would not blame you if you are ready to stop reading and find another nursing home. However, if you want to learn more about this nursing home's category grades, nursing grades are discussed in the next section.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Brier Oak on Sunset
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Note: Brier Oak on Sunset has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
Get pricing and details on Los Angeles senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Oncology Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
While we graded this facility incredibly poorly overall, it received a fairly respectable nursing grade this year. We gave it a grade of B- in that category. Nursing grades are tied to quality and quantity of nursing care. This facility provided just 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a relatively low total compared to most other facilities. Lastly, despite not having the highest total nursing hours, this nursing home performed admirably in the area of preventing major falls. This is usually an indicator that a place has quality controls in place.
Long-term Care Quality
We were also stunned to find that this facility earned a solid long-term care rating in our assessment. We gave it a B- in this category. If you are seeking anything other than short-term rehabilitation, you should take a close look at each facility's long-term care grades. In addition to looking at the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we analyzed the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home administered the vaccine to 99.27885 percent of its patients, which is higher than the average nursing home. Finally, this nursing home was also able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Brier Oak on Sunset?
Short-term Care Quality
Incredibly, we gave this facility a C for its short-term care grade, which isn't too bad of a score. Our short-term care grades are considered to be most important for individuals needing a nursing home for rehabilitation. Rehabilitation usually requires higher levels of skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing includes not just nursing services, but also physical and respiratory therapy, as well as other types of therapy. Unfortunately, this facility was below average in terms of its level of physical therapy and registered nurse hours provided to its residents based on the measures we assessed. The important question is whether this adversely impacted quality of care. Finally, we assessed the number of residents who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 3.5 percent of this facility's residents returned home. At most facilities, closer to half of their residents are able to return home so this figure is below average.
The final category we looked at is inspections. This nursing home did not receive positive inspection reports in recent years. In fact, we gave it an F here. When a place has this bad of an inspection score, you should look for severe deficiencies on its inspection report. Severe deficiencies indicate a threat to patient safety. This particular facility had 5 deficiencies by CMS. The only positive thing we found is that none of its deficiencies were in the categories that indicate that they created a risk to patient health or safety. Finally, CMS flagged this nursing home for possible abuse or neglect. This is not what you want to see. We advise you to direct your search elsewhere.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Brier Oak on Sunset Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Brier Oak on Sunset, 7.79% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of patients that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin caused by staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Brier Oak on Sunset, 1.84% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of patients that have had a fall resulting in severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Brier Oak on Sunset, 1.34% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic gauges the percentage of long-term stay residents that had UTI's. UTI's could be a sign of a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this statistic may be skewed for some nursing homes due to inconsistent reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Brier Oak on Sunset, 10.3% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents given antipsychotic medications. These drugs are sometimes used for several conditions, including Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Brier Oak on Sunset, 13.84% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of residents given antianxiety medications. Antianxiety medications are given to patients suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Brier Oak on Sunset, 5.83% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents who are exhibiting depressive symptoms. Higher levels of depression could be an indicator lower quality care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Brier Oak on Sunset, 95.65% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients who were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for nursing home residents, making these vaccines vital to patient care.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Brier Oak on Sunset, 8.26% Percentage of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term stay residents who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as moving around and taking a bath. Many in the industry believe this is a measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Brier Oak on Sunset, 10.41% Percentage of Residents
This is the percentage of patients that remained mobile levels over time. Retaining mobility can be a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Brier Oak on Sunset, 1.78 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Brier Oak on Sunset, 10.41 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Brier Oak on Sunset, 11.34 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care. There is generally a correlation between having fewer emergency room visits and the overall quality of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Brier Oak on Sunset, 79.12% Percentage of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percent of short-term care residents that saw functional improvements.
Scores for Los Angeles, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-minus
Looking for more options? Los Angeles, California has 34 other nursing homes
- Hollywood Presbyterian Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.63 miles away1300 N Vermont Ave Los Angeles California 90027Proprietary(213) 413-3000
- Children's Hosp of Los AngelesChildrens 0.66 miles away4650 Sunset Blvd, Ms 108 Los Angeles California 90027Voluntary non-profit - Private(323) 669-2164
- Southern California Hospital at HollywoodAcute Care Hospitals 1.32 miles away6245 De Longpre Ave Los Angeles California 90028Proprietary(323) 462-2271
- Saint Vincent Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.95 miles away2131 W 3rd St Los Angeles California 90057Voluntary non-profit - Church(213) 484-7111
- Glendale Mem Hospital & Hlth CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.24 miles away1420 S Central Ave Glendale California 91204Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 502-1900
- Providence Saint Joseph Medical CtrAcute Care Hospitals 4.4 miles away501 South Buena Vista Street Burbank California 91505Voluntary non-profit - Church(818) 843-5111
- Cedars-Sinai Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.68 miles away8700 Beverly Blvd Los Angeles California 90048Voluntary non-profit - Other(310) 423-5000
- California Hospital Medical Center LaAcute Care Hospitals 4.76 miles away1401 South Grand Avenue Los Angeles California 90015Voluntary non-profit - Other(213) 748-2411
- Davita-Hollywood Dialysis Center0.66 miles away5108 Sunset Blvd. Los Angeles California 90027CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (323) 913-4010
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital Medical Ctr.- Sunset1.72 miles awayDialysis Unit 4700 Sunset Blvd., 2nd Floor Los Angeles California 90027CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (323) 783-5580
- Childrens Hospital of Los Angeles1.72 miles awayDivision of Nephrology (Dialysis) 4650 Sunset Blvd., Box 40 Los Angeles California 90027Dialysis Stations: 10 (323) 361-4788
- Davita-Silver Lake Dialysis2.14 miles away2723 W. Temple St Los Angeles California 90026CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (213) 480-3039
- Fmc-Dialysis Services of Mid-Wilshire2.49 miles away3545 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 100-103 Los Angeles California 90010CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (213) 382-8864
- u.s. Renal Care Downtown Los Angeles Dialysis2.73 miles away2511 W 3rd Street, Suite 120 Los Angeles California 90057Dialysis Stations: 24 (213) 487-7730
- St. Vincent Dialysis Center, Inc.2.94 miles away201 S. Alvarado Street, Suite 220 Los Angeles California 90057Dialysis Stations: 17 (213) 484-7425
- Davita-West Glendale Dialysis3.45 miles away1427 S. Glendale Avenue Glendale California 91205CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (818) 241-0016