Brier Oak on Sunset is located in the large metropolitan area of Los Angeles, California. We gave this nursing home an overall grade of C. A grade of this caliber requires some solid marks. This grade was right in line with the city grade in Los Angeles, which is admittedly a bit below average nationally. We were also pleased to discover that this place was consistent in all four of the other areas we looked at. More information about these categories is available below.
Brier Oak on Sunset
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Oncology Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
We would like to point out that this nursing home's nursing rating exceeded its overall grade. This facility earned a B+ in this category, which is one of our better grades. There are a variety of subcategories within this category. Many of the criteria are tied to staffing levels. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This place performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a place has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can frequently be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
We also awarded this nursing home a grade of B- for our inspections rating. This is a very respectable nursing score. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in calculating these inspection ratings. One critical factor is health deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of these deficiencies is usually more important than the number of deficiencies, as some deficiencies can be quite minor. Fortunately, although this nursing home had a few minor dings on its inspection report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones found in categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This means CMS didn't deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. A couple of minor deficiencies shouldn't lead you to cross a nursing home off your list.
Does this page answer your questions about Brier Oak on Sunset?
Long-term Care Quality
We also gave this nursing home a respectable grade in the area of long-term care, with a C. Long-term care grades are vital for residents requiring personal care. After considering the amount of care provided by nurses, we turned to the nursing home's vaccination records. We were pleased to learn that this nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its residents for pneumonia. Finally, this facility was also able to limit hospitalizations. It had only 0.05 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Short-term Care Quality
Switching gears to our fourth area, this nursing home was awarded a grade of C for short-term care, which is a decent grade. Short-term care scores are crucial for patients in need of rehabilitation. Rehabilitation typically requires higher levels of skilled nursing. Skilled nursing means a wide scope of nursing services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, as well as other types of therapy. Unfortunately, we found that this facility provided fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per resident than most other facilities. Lastly, we looked at the percentage of residents that ultimately returned home from this nursing home. We found that 3.6 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home. This figure was actually well below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Brier Oak on Sunset Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Brier Oak on Sunset, 7.62% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is an indication of the percent of long-term patients that have new or worsened pressure ulcers . We factor in this statistic in computing both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Brier Oak on Sunset, 1.67% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric is an indication of the percent of long-term patients which have suffered a fall leading to serious injury. We use this statistic in computing our nursing ratings.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Brier Oak on Sunset, 1.21% of Patients had UTIs
This metric gauges the percentage of long-term stay patients who experienced a UTI. While a higher rate infections could reflect poorly on a facility's nursing care, it can be difficult to compare between nursing homes due to varying reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Brier Oak on Sunset, 10.06% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients who were given antipsychotic medications. These medications are used to treat a variety of medical conditions, such as Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Brier Oak on Sunset, 13.91% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic measures the percent of long-term care patients taking antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Brier Oak on Sunset, 4.33% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents exhibiting signs of depression. High levels of depression could be a sign lower quality care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Brier Oak on Sunset, 95.72% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Brier Oak on Sunset, 8.37% Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term patients that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as moving around and bathing.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Brier Oak on Sunset, 14.05% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percentage of residents that were able to retain mobility over time. Retaining mobility is often a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Brier Oak on Sunset, 1.49 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of care. There is generally a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Brier Oak on Sunset, 14.05 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term resident care. Minimizing rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is key to restoring the health of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Brier Oak on Sunset, 9.85 Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care. Avoiding medical emergencies is one way to assess patient well-being during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Brier Oak on Sunset, 79.63% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percentage of short-term stay patients that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. High levels of independence with activities of daily living usually correlates with successful rehabilitation.
Scores for Los Angeles, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-minus
Looking for more options? Los Angeles, California has 74 other nursing homes
- Hollywood Presbyterian Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.63 miles away1300 N Vermont Ave Los Angeles California 90027Proprietary(213) 413-3000
- Children's Hosp of Los AngelesChildrens 0.66 miles away4650 Sunset Blvd, Ms 108 Los Angeles California 90027Voluntary non-profit - Private(323) 669-2164
- Southern California Hospital at HollywoodAcute Care Hospitals 1.32 miles away6245 De Longpre Ave Los Angeles California 90028Proprietary(323) 462-2271
- Saint Vincent Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.95 miles away2131 W 3rd St Los Angeles California 90057Voluntary non-profit - Church(213) 484-7111
- Glendale Mem Hospital & Hlth CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.24 miles away1420 S Central Ave Glendale California 91204Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 502-1900
- Providence Saint Joseph Medical CtrAcute Care Hospitals 4.4 miles away501 South Buena Vista Street Burbank California 91505Voluntary non-profit - Church(818) 843-5111
- Cedars-Sinai Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.68 miles away8700 Beverly Blvd Los Angeles California 90048Voluntary non-profit - Other(310) 423-5000
- California Hospital Medical Center LaAcute Care Hospitals 4.76 miles away1401 South Grand Avenue Los Angeles California 90015Voluntary non-profit - Other(213) 748-2411
- Davita-Hollywood Dialysis Center0.66 miles away5108 Sunset Blvd. Los Angeles California 90027CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (323) 913-4010
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital Medical Ctr.- Sunset1.72 miles awayDialysis Unit 4700 Sunset Blvd., 2nd Floor Los Angeles California 90027CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (323) 783-5580
- Childrens Hospital of Los Angeles1.72 miles awayDivision of Nephrology (Dialysis) 4650 Sunset Blvd., Box 40 Los Angeles California 90027Dialysis Stations: 10 (323) 361-4788
- Davita-Silver Lake Dialysis2.14 miles away2723 W. Temple St Los Angeles California 90026CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (213) 480-3039
- Fmc-Dialysis Services of Mid-Wilshire2.49 miles away3545 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 100-103 Los Angeles California 90010CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (213) 382-8864
- u.s. Renal Care Downtown Los Angeles Dialysis2.73 miles away2511 W 3rd Street, Suite 120 Los Angeles California 90057Dialysis Stations: 24 (213) 487-7730
- St. Vincent Dialysis Center, Inc.2.94 miles away201 S. Alvarado Street, Suite 220 Los Angeles California 90057Dialysis Stations: 17 (213) 484-7425
- Davita-West Glendale Dialysis3.45 miles away1427 S. Glendale Avenue Glendale California 91205CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (818) 241-0016