Brier Oak on Sunset is located in the large metropolitan area of Los Angeles, California. This nursing home is a well below average facility. A score of this caliber indicates we found some red flags. Unfortunately, this grade is not too far off the city grade for Los Angeles, which is a C. Nevertheless, you still ought to be able to do better The best thing we can really say about this place is that it did not receive any F's in in any of the major categories. Additional information about these categories is available below.
Brier Oak on Sunset
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Oncology Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
Even though we didn't rate this facility well overall, we want to acknowledge it received a decent grade of B- in nursing. The nursing grade features a number of subcategories. The most heavily weighted one is the amount of time nurses spent with residents. This facility provides only 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a somewhat alarming figure which is well below the national average. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this facility surprisingly excelled in some of the quality-based metrics we looked at. It scored well in the area of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. Many consider these areas to be good measures of the quality of nursing care. In many cases, the quality of nursing care is just as important as the quantity of hours of care provided.
We also wanted to point out this nursing home's decent health inspections in recent years. We gave it somewhat respectable grade of C in this category. Our inspection scores account for several factors found on a nursing home's inspection reports. One key criteria we weigh heavily is the number and severity of deficiencies. This place was hit with 5 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none were in any of the categories labeled G through L. This tells you that it dodged the more ominous classes of deficiencies. Unfortunately, we also need to draw your attention to the fact that this facility received significant government fines in recent years.
Does this page answer your questions about Brier Oak on Sunset?
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home's third best category was long-term care. We gave it a C in this category. This is basically a middle of the road grade in this category. Long-term care grades are based on the nursing home's amount of nursing services. This includes a vast scope of personal care services, ranging from help with activities of daily living to routine medical services. In addition to looking at the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home provided the vaccine to 100 percent of its patients, which is higher than the average nursing home. This place also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0.05 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Short-term Care Quality
The next category we graded is short-term care, which proved to be this facility's weakest area. We awarded this facility a grade of D in this category. Our short-term care grades are presumably more important for those in need of rehabilitation from their nursing home. Rehabilitation usually mandates additional skilled nursing services. This means not just nursing, but also physical and occupational therapy, as well as other forms of therapy. Given its grade in this area, we were not surprised to discover that this facility is well below average in terms of its number of physical therapy and registered nurse hours offered to its residents based on the measures we assessed. Lastly, we assessed the number of residents that ultimately were able to return home from this nursing home. This facility didn't fare well here either. In fact, we found that just 3.5 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Brier Oak on Sunset Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Brier Oak on Sunset, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure is is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients who suffer from pressure ulcers. We find that pressure ulcers are a solid indicator of nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Brier Oak on Sunset, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of patients who sustained a major fall. Falls leading to major injuries are considered to be a barometer of nursing care at a nursing home. Falls resulting in injury are routinely caused by lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Brier Oak on Sunset, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This metric measures the percent of long-term care patients that sustained urinary tract infections. Although more infections could reflect poorly on a facility's hygiene protocols, it is difficult to compare between nursing homes due to facilities having varying reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Brier Oak on Sunset, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure indicates the percentage of long-term stay patients who are given antipsychotic medication. Increased usage of these drugs may indicate a facility is using these medications to subdue residents in scenarios where such drugs are not medically required. Nevertheless, some nursing homes may need to rely more on these drugs due to having more patients suffering from Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Brier Oak on Sunset, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint indicates the percentage of long-term stay residents receiving antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Brier Oak on Sunset, 4.64% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients who are showing signs of depression. High levels of depression may be an indicator lower quality care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Brier Oak on Sunset, 95.44% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents that were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Brier Oak on Sunset, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living may indicate decline of a resident's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Brier Oak on Sunset, 12.45% Percentage of Residents
This metric measures the percentage of long-term stay patients who retained mobility levels.
In Brier Oak on Sunset, 1.61 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of care. There is generally a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and the quality of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Brier Oak on Sunset, 12.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Brier Oak on Sunset, 9.83 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Brier Oak on Sunset, 79.79% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percentage of short-term stay patients that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
Scores for Los Angeles, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-minus
Looking for more options? Los Angeles, California has 74 other nursing homes
- Hollywood Presbyterian Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.63 miles away1300 N Vermont Ave Los Angeles California 90027Proprietary(213) 413-3000
- Children's Hosp of Los AngelesChildrens 0.66 miles away4650 Sunset Blvd, Ms 108 Los Angeles California 90027Voluntary non-profit - Private(323) 669-2164
- Southern California Hospital at HollywoodAcute Care Hospitals 1.32 miles away6245 De Longpre Ave Los Angeles California 90028Proprietary(323) 462-2271
- Saint Vincent Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.95 miles away2131 W 3rd St Los Angeles California 90057Voluntary non-profit - Church(213) 484-7111
- Glendale Mem Hospital & Hlth CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.24 miles away1420 S Central Ave Glendale California 91204Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 502-1900
- Providence Saint Joseph Medical CtrAcute Care Hospitals 4.4 miles away501 South Buena Vista Street Burbank California 91505Voluntary non-profit - Church(818) 843-5111
- Cedars-Sinai Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.68 miles away8700 Beverly Blvd Los Angeles California 90048Voluntary non-profit - Other(310) 423-5000
- California Hospital Medical Center LaAcute Care Hospitals 4.76 miles away1401 South Grand Avenue Los Angeles California 90015Voluntary non-profit - Other(213) 748-2411
- Davita-Hollywood Dialysis Center0.66 miles away5108 Sunset Blvd. Los Angeles California 90027CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (323) 913-4010
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital Medical Ctr.- Sunset1.72 miles awayDialysis Unit 4700 Sunset Blvd., 2nd Floor Los Angeles California 90027CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (323) 783-5580
- Childrens Hospital of Los Angeles1.72 miles awayDivision of Nephrology (Dialysis) 4650 Sunset Blvd., Box 40 Los Angeles California 90027Dialysis Stations: 10 (323) 361-4788
- Davita-Silver Lake Dialysis2.14 miles away2723 W. Temple St Los Angeles California 90026CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (213) 480-3039
- Fmc-Dialysis Services of Mid-Wilshire2.49 miles away3545 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 100-103 Los Angeles California 90010CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (213) 382-8864
- u.s. Renal Care Downtown Los Angeles Dialysis2.73 miles away2511 W 3rd Street, Suite 120 Los Angeles California 90057Dialysis Stations: 24 (213) 487-7730
- St. Vincent Dialysis Center, Inc.2.94 miles away201 S. Alvarado Street, Suite 220 Los Angeles California 90057Dialysis Stations: 17 (213) 484-7425
- Davita-West Glendale Dialysis3.45 miles away1427 S. Glendale Avenue Glendale California 91205CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (818) 241-0016