Located in Sacramento, California, Briarwood Post Acute is one of nine facilities in the city. We gave this nursing home an alarming overall grade based on the data we looked at. This nursing home is just about as bad as it gets. More information on this nursing home's category grades may be found below. Its best category is nursing, which is addressed in the next section.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Briarwood Post Acute
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Sacramento senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
While we graded this facility incredibly poorly overall, it received a fairly respectable nursing grade this year. We gave it a grade of C in that category. Our nursing score includes several factors, however, the primary consideration is the number of nurse hours per patient per week. This place provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident each day. This is a much lower figure than we are used to seeing. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this place actually excelled in some of the quality-based metrics we looked at. It performed well in the area of avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. Many consider these areas to be reliable measures of the quality of nursing care. In some cases, the quality of nursing care is as important as the quantity of hours of care provided.
Short-term Care Quality
Incredibly, we awarded this nursing home a C for our short-term care rating, which really isn't a bad grade. In calculating our short-term care grades, we size up a facility's levels of skilled nursing services, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists speech therapists and other highly skilled individuals. This grade is generally a solid measure of the facility's ability to rehabilitate patients. Unfortunately, this place was below average in terms of its number of physical therapy and registered nurse hours provided to its patients based on the measures we assessed. The last statistic we assessed in this area is the percentage of patients who were able to return home from the nursing home. We found that just 5 percent of this facility's residents returned home. Unfortunately, this was below average.
Does this page answer your questions about Briarwood Post Acute?
Long-term Care Quality
This facility's second least favorable category was long-term care, where it earned a grade of just D in that category. This is a well below average score. For prospective patients seeking a permanent residence rather than skilled nursing, long-term care grades are a key measure. On top of considering the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home vaccinated 99.10714 percent of its patients. To our surprise, this place also fared well at keeping its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0.04 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days. Sadly, a few of its other scores in this category weren't as favorable as these.
Turning to our final category of inspections, this facility received a grade that's as bad as it gets. We weight this category more heavily than our other categories. We would advise paying close attention to any deficiencies on a facility's inspection reports when it receives this poor of an inspection score. We would pay close attention to the level of severity of those deficiencies. This particular nursing home was assessed 9 deficiencies by government inspectors. The only favorable thing we can say is that none of its deficiencies were in the categories that suggest that they posed a risk to patient safety or health. Finally, we also would like to draw your attention to the fact that this facility was assessed large government fines recently of more than $50,000. This generally means that inspectors grew tired after multiple years of bad government inspections.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Briarwood Post Acute Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Briarwood Post Acute, 7.79% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic tells you the percent of long-term residents that are suffering from new or worsened pressure ulcers or bed sores. We factor in this statistic in computing our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Briarwood Post Acute, 1.84% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of patients who have had a fall which resulted in serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Briarwood Post Acute, 1.34% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of long-term care patients who have experienced a urinary tract infection. Although a higher rate infections may reflect poorly on a nursing home's hygiene protocols, it can be problematic to compare different nursing homes due to nursing homes having differing reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Briarwood Post Acute, 10.3% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents who were given antipsychotic medications. These drugs may be used to treat several conditions, such as dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Briarwood Post Acute, 13.84% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients prescribed antianxiety medications. These drugs are given to residents suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Briarwood Post Acute, 5.83% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients showing signs of depression. Some experts believe that this is a reliable measure of resident quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Briarwood Post Acute, 95.65% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients that were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Briarwood Post Acute, 8.26% Percentage of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term stay patients that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as taking medications and taking a bath.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Briarwood Post Acute, 10.41% Percentage of Residents
Measures the percent of long-term stay patients who retained mobility levels.
In Briarwood Post Acute, 1.78 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Briarwood Post Acute, 10.41 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Briarwood Post Acute, 11.34 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Staying out of the emergency room is one way to assess short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Briarwood Post Acute, 79.12% Percentage of Resident
This is the percent of short-term care residents that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. High levels of independence with ADL's usually correlates with better rehabilitation services.
Scores for Sacramento, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Sacramento, California has 8 other nursing homes
- University of California Davis Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.92 miles away2315 Stockton Boulevard Sacramento California 95817Voluntary non-profit - Other(916) 734-2011
- Kaiser Foundation Hosp So SacramentoAcute Care Hospitals 3.17 miles away6600 Bruceville Road Sacramento California 95823Voluntary non-profit - Private(916) 688-2000
- Methodist Hospital of SacramentoAcute Care Hospitals 3.77 miles away7500 Hospital Drive Sacramento California 95823Voluntary non-profit - Private(916) 423-6010
- Mercy General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.83 miles away4001 J St Sacramento California 95819Voluntary non-profit - Private(916) 453-4453
- Sutter Medical Center, SacramentoAcute Care Hospitals 4.21 miles away2825 Capitol Avenue Sacramento California 95816Voluntary non-profit - Private(916) 733-8999
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - SacramentoAcute Care Hospitals 6.41 miles away2025 Morse Avenue Sacramento California 95825Voluntary non-profit - Private(916) 973-5000
- Heritage Oaks HospitalPsychiatric 9.61 miles away4250 Auburn Blvd Sacramento California 95841Proprietary(916) 489-3336
- Mercy San Juan Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.38 miles away6501 Coyle Ave Carmichael California 95608Voluntary non-profit - Other(916) 537-5000
- Florin Dialysis Center1.22 miles away7000 Stockton Blvd. Sacramento California 95823CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 31 (916) 424-3990
- Southgate Dialysis1.49 miles away7231 E Southgate Drive Sacramento California 95823Dialysis Stations: 22 (916) 395-7585
- South Sacramento Dialysis Center1.77 miles away7000 Franklin Blvd. #880 Sacramento California 95823CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (916) 427-2561
- Broadway Dialysis2.69 miles away2624 Stockton Boulevard Sacramento California 95817CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 34 (916) 457-0113
- Rai Mack Road2.94 miles away4660 Mack Road, Ste 168 Sacramento California 95823CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 23 (916) 394-9312
- Davita Deer Park Dialysis2.96 miles away4401 Mack Road Sacramento California 95823Dialysis Stations: 24 (916) 738-3575
- Dci University Dialysis Clinic3.7 miles away1771 Stockton Blvd Sacramento California 95816CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (916) 453-0803
- University Dialysis Center3.98 miles away333 University Avenue Suite 100 Sacramento California 95825CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (916) 920-0877