Briarwood Post Acute turns out to be one of many options you can choose from in Sacramento, California. This facility received an overall grade of D in our grading scheme. This was not the worse nursing home we found, but we'd still struggle to recommend it. Despite all this, one of the few highlights of this nursing home's report card is its impressive nursing grade. You can scroll down to find out about nursing and other category grades
Briarwood Post Acute
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
While we were not high on this nursing home overall, we gave it a grade of B+ in nursing. The nursing category is based on many factors, many of which are associated with nursing hours. This particular nursing home provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This place performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a nursing home has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can many times be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Short-term Care Quality
We also gave this nursing home a solid score in the area of short-term care, with a grade of B-. In the category of short-term care, we seek to qualify indicators of a nursing home's rehabilitation services. We analyze a nursing home's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses and various therapists. Unfortunately, this facility was below average in terms of its level of physical therapy and registered nurse hours provided to its residents based on the metrics we assessed. Lastly, we looked at the percentage of residents who were able to return home from this facility. We found that 5 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home. This figure was quite a bit below the national average.
Does this page answer your questions about Briarwood Post Acute?
We also wanted to draw your attention to this nursing home's inspection rating where it received a lowly F. This typically means we found red flags on its inspections. For places with poor inspection scores, you should scrutinize any severe deficiencies found on their inspection reports. This nursing home had 9 deficiencies by government inspectors. The only favorable thing we can say is that none of these deficiencies were in the categories that indicate that they posed a threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility also received 23 substantiated complaints in recent years. This is yet another bad sign.
Long-term Care Quality
The next category we looked at was long-term care. It received an abysmal F in this category, which is a very poor score. For prospective patients seeking a permanent place to live rather than rehabilitation, long-term care is an important category. After assessing the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we then analyzed the nursing home's vaccination records. We were optimistic to learn that this facility vaccinated 98.449615 percent of its residents against pneumonia. To our surprise, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. With just 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, this nursing home has less hospitalizations than many nursing homes. Unfortunately, a few of its other scores in the category weren't as favorable as these.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Briarwood Post Acute Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Briarwood Post Acute, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of residents that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also called bed sores, are often the result of residents not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing protocols can reduce the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Briarwood Post Acute, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure tells you the percentage of long-term residents which suffered a fall leading to severe injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but high rates of major falls may be a sign of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Briarwood Post Acute, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This is a measure of the percent of long-term patients who suffered from UTI's. UTI's could be an indication of a facility with worst hygiene practices. However, this statistic may also be misleading for some nursing homes due to different reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Briarwood Post Acute, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of residents given antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic drugs are prescribed to patients for a variety of medical conditions, including dementia. Tragically, in limited cases, increased usage of these drugs may indicate that a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Briarwood Post Acute, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients prescribed antianxiety medications. These drugs are given to residents suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Briarwood Post Acute, 4.64% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients showing signs of depression. Some experts believe that this is a reliable measure of resident quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Briarwood Post Acute, 95.44% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients that were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Briarwood Post Acute, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term stay patients that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as taking medications and taking a bath.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Briarwood Post Acute, 12.45% Percentage of Residents
Measures the percent of long-term stay patients who retained mobility levels.
In Briarwood Post Acute, 1.61 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Briarwood Post Acute, 12.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Briarwood Post Acute, 9.83 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Staying out of the emergency room is one way to assess short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Briarwood Post Acute, 79.79% Percentage of Resident
This is the percent of short-term care residents that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. High levels of independence with ADL's usually correlates with better rehabilitation services.
Scores for Sacramento, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Sacramento, California has 21 other nursing homes
- University of California Davis Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.92 miles away2315 Stockton Boulevard Sacramento California 95817Voluntary non-profit - Other(916) 734-2011
- Kaiser Foundation Hosp So SacramentoAcute Care Hospitals 3.17 miles away6600 Bruceville Road Sacramento California 95823Voluntary non-profit - Private(916) 688-2000
- Methodist Hospital of SacramentoAcute Care Hospitals 3.77 miles away7500 Hospital Drive Sacramento California 95823Voluntary non-profit - Private(916) 423-6010
- Mercy General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.83 miles away4001 J St Sacramento California 95819Voluntary non-profit - Private(916) 453-4453
- Sutter Medical Center, SacramentoAcute Care Hospitals 4.21 miles away2825 Capitol Avenue Sacramento California 95816Voluntary non-profit - Private(916) 733-8999
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - SacramentoAcute Care Hospitals 6.41 miles away2025 Morse Avenue Sacramento California 95825Voluntary non-profit - Private(916) 973-5000
- Heritage Oaks HospitalPsychiatric 9.61 miles away4250 Auburn Blvd Sacramento California 95841Proprietary(916) 489-3336
- Mercy San Juan Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.38 miles away6501 Coyle Ave Carmichael California 95608Voluntary non-profit - Other(916) 537-5000
- Florin Dialysis Center1.22 miles away7000 Stockton Blvd. Sacramento California 95823CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 31 (916) 424-3990
- Southgate Dialysis1.49 miles away7231 E Southgate Drive Sacramento California 95823Dialysis Stations: 22 (916) 395-7585
- South Sacramento Dialysis Center1.77 miles away7000 Franklin Blvd. #880 Sacramento California 95823CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (916) 427-2561
- Broadway Dialysis2.69 miles away2624 Stockton Boulevard Sacramento California 95817CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 34 (916) 457-0113
- Rai Mack Road2.94 miles away4660 Mack Road, Ste 168 Sacramento California 95823CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 23 (916) 394-9312
- Davita Deer Park Dialysis2.96 miles away4401 Mack Road Sacramento California 95823Dialysis Stations: 24 (916) 738-3575
- Dci University Dialysis Clinic3.7 miles away1771 Stockton Blvd Sacramento California 95816CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (916) 453-0803
- University Dialysis Center3.98 miles away333 University Avenue Suite 100 Sacramento California 95825CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (916) 920-0877