Briarwood Post Acute is a small facility located in Sacramento, California. We gave this facility an F, which is really a rock-bottom score in our grading scheme. Fortunately, this nursing home is one of 21 nursing homes in this city so if you aren't impressed, you should have better options. If you aren't deterred by this facility's profile, you can continue reading to find out about its category grades. Nursing grades are discussed in the next paragraph.
Briarwood Post Acute
Updated May 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
5901 Lemon Hill Ave,
Sacramento CA 95824
89.79% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
Even though we graded this facility extremely poorly overall, it earned a respectable score in the area of nursing. We awarded it a B in this area. We analyzed the qualifications of nurses at the nursing home, as well as the quantity of hours the nurses worked with residents, in determining our score in this category. This particular facility provided 4.2 hours of nursing care per resident per day, which was above average. Finally, this place also performed well in several of the quality-based metrics we looked at. In terms of the number of its patients sustaining falls leading to serious injury, this nursing home performed as well as just about any place we assessed.
Short-term Care Quality
Surprisingly, we awarded this facility a B- for our short-term care grade, which isn't too bad of a score. Our short-term care ratings are based on a facility's quantity of highly-skilled skilled healthcare professionals. This includes a wide range of services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, in addition to other forms of therapy. Unfortunately, we found that this place provided fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than most other facilities. The more important thing is determining what bearing this had on the quality of care. Finally, we considered the percentage of residents who were able to return to the community from this facility. This proved to be more of a strength for this facility. In fact, we found that it outperformed the majority of facilities with 50.5 percent of its residents returning home.
Does this page answer your questions about Briarwood Post Acute?
Long-term Care Quality
The third area we graded is long-term care. This nursing home's was given a poor long-term care score where it received a lowly F. For prospective patients looking for a permanent residence rather than rehabilitation, long-term care is a very important category. On top of looking at the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home administered the vaccine to 99.24812 percent of its patients. Surprisingly, this facility also was not as bad as we expected at keeping its patients out of the hospital. While it had 2.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, its risk adjusted statistic wasn't bad due to it having more complicated patients.
The last category we assessed was inspections. This nursing home did not receive positive government inspection reports in recent years. As a result, we gave it an F here. When a facility has this poor of an inspection score, you should expect some severe deficiencies on its inspection report. Severe deficiencies indicate a threat to the well being of residents. This particular facility was assessed 9 deficiencies by CMS. The only favorable thing we found is that none of the deficiencies were in the categories that suggest that they caused a threat to resident health or safety. Finally, this facility also received 23 substantiated complaints in recent years. This is yet another bad sign.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Briarwood Post Acute Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Briarwood Post Acute, 7.63% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of patients that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin caused by staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Briarwood Post Acute, 1.66% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure measures the percentage of long-term stay patients who had falls which caused severe injury. We use this statistic in computing our nursing scores.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Briarwood Post Acute, 1.19% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term patients who have experienced urinary tract infections. UTI's could be a sign of poor nursing care. Nevertheless, this metric could be skewed for some facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Briarwood Post Acute, 9.98% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of patients prescribed antipsychotic drugs. These drugs are sometimes used to treat a variety of conditions, such as cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Briarwood Post Acute, 13.87% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric gauges the percentage of long-term stay patients which were administered antianxiety medication. These medications are commonly used to treat residents experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Briarwood Post Acute, 4.32% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term residents showing symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Briarwood Post Acute, 96.21% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term care residents who were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for nursing home patients, making these vaccines critical to patient well-being.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Briarwood Post Acute, 8.35% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of needing for assistance with ADL's may indicate deterioration of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Briarwood Post Acute, 14.01% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percent of residents that retained mobility levels over time. Retaining mobility can be a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Briarwood Post Acute, 1.49 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Briarwood Post Acute, 14.01 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term resident care. Staying out of the hospital during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the health of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Briarwood Post Acute, 9.82 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care. There is generally a correlation between having fewer emergency room visits and the overall quality of rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Briarwood Post Acute, 79.69% Percentage of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term care residents who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
Scores for Sacramento, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Sacramento, California has 20 other nursing homes
- University of California Davis Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.92 miles away2315 Stockton Boulevard Sacramento California 95817Voluntary non-profit - Other(916) 734-2011
- Kaiser Foundation Hosp So SacramentoAcute Care Hospitals 3.17 miles away6600 Bruceville Road Sacramento California 95823Voluntary non-profit - Private(916) 688-2000
- Methodist Hospital of SacramentoAcute Care Hospitals 3.77 miles away7500 Hospital Drive Sacramento California 95823Voluntary non-profit - Private(916) 423-6010
- Mercy General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.83 miles away4001 J St Sacramento California 95819Voluntary non-profit - Private(916) 453-4453
- Sutter Medical Center, SacramentoAcute Care Hospitals 4.21 miles away2825 Capitol Avenue Sacramento California 95816Voluntary non-profit - Private(916) 733-8999
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - SacramentoAcute Care Hospitals 6.41 miles away2025 Morse Avenue Sacramento California 95825Voluntary non-profit - Private(916) 973-5000
- Heritage Oaks HospitalPsychiatric 9.61 miles away4250 Auburn Blvd Sacramento California 95841Proprietary(916) 489-3336
- Mercy San Juan Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.38 miles away6501 Coyle Ave Carmichael California 95608Voluntary non-profit - Other(916) 537-5000
- Florin Dialysis Center1.22 miles away7000 Stockton Blvd. Sacramento California 95823CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 31 (916) 424-3990
- Southgate Dialysis1.49 miles away7231 E Southgate Drive Sacramento California 95823Dialysis Stations: 22 (916) 395-7585
- South Sacramento Dialysis Center1.77 miles away7000 Franklin Blvd. #880 Sacramento California 95823CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (916) 427-2561
- Broadway Dialysis2.69 miles away2624 Stockton Boulevard Sacramento California 95817CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 34 (916) 457-0113
- Rai Mack Road2.94 miles away4660 Mack Road, Ste 168 Sacramento California 95823CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 23 (916) 394-9312
- Davita Deer Park Dialysis2.96 miles away4401 Mack Road Sacramento California 95823Dialysis Stations: 24 (916) 738-3575
- Dci University Dialysis Clinic3.7 miles away1771 Stockton Blvd Sacramento California 95816CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (916) 453-0803
- University Dialysis Center3.98 miles away333 University Avenue Suite 100 Sacramento California 95825CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (916) 920-0877