Located in Little Rock, Arkansas, Briarwood Nursing and Rehabilitation Center is one of seven available facilities in this city. With an overall score of B, this facility outpaced the vast majority of the nursing homes in Little Rock by a sizable margin. This nursing home definitely has plenty of good features. This nursing home's impressive report card was highlighted by its inspection grade, which we will address in the next paragraph.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Briarwood Nursing and Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Little Rock senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to receiving a strong overall score, this nursing home also received first-rate government inspections in recent years. We awarded them one of our better grades in this category, with a grade of A. Our inspection ratings are tied to several datapoints located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes that receive favorable grades in this category typically have very few deficiencies on those reports. Most importantly, these places generally do not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Even some of the best nursing homes receive an occasional ding on their inspection report.
Long-term Care Quality
This facility is also above average in the category of long-term care, where it was awarded a grade of B. It outpaced most nursing homes in this category. Long-term care ratings of this caliber generally require both 24/7 care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine medical care. One of the criteria we considered on top of nursing hours was vaccinations. This nursing home provided the pneumonia vaccination to 100 percent of its residents. Vaccination is a great way to avoid unnecessary deaths and hospitalizations for the aged 65 and up population. Finally, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. It had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Briarwood Nursing and Rehabilitation Center?
This facility received a very good nursing grade this year as well. It received one of our better scores in that category with a grade of B. There are a number of criteria included in this area. Many of the criteria relate to nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality measures and this place excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any nursing home the country in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can many times be avoided by providing better nursing care, such as by having a system of moving a patient more frequently.
Short-term Care Quality
The final category we assessed is short-term care. In that category, we awarded this nursing home a C. Our short-term care grades are critical for patients in need of rehabilitation. Rehabilitation usually mandates higher levels of skilled nursing services. This includes a wide scope of nursing services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, as well as other forms of therapy. We were not able to locate registered nurse or physical therapy staffing data for this nursing home. The last statistic we assessed in this area is the number of residents who returned home from the facility. We found that just 5.1 percent of this facility's residents returned home. This figure was below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Briarwood Nursing and Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Briarwood Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 8.4% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of patients that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are routinely caused by residents not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing protocols can limit the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Briarwood Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 4.03% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic measures the percent of long-term patients who sustained a fall leading to serious injury. This is one of the statistics we use in calculating our nursing scores.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Briarwood Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 2.26% of Patients had UTIs
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents who sustained UTI's. UTI's may be an indicator of a facility with lower levels of hygiene. Nevertheless, this datapoint may also be misleading for certain nursing homes due to inconsistent reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Briarwood Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 12.36% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients given antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications may be vital to many patients, it is important to confirm these medications are being used appropriately. In some cases, increased usage of these drugs may indicate a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Briarwood Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 21.54% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of patients prescribed antianxiety drugs. These medications are prescribed to patients suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Briarwood Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 2.24% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients who are showing signs of depression. High levels of depression could be an indicator a less hospitable environment.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Briarwood Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 95.33% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients that were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Briarwood Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 12.13% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Briarwood Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 10.57% Percentage of Residents
This is a measure of the percent of long-term residents who retained mobility levels. Some experts believe that the ability to move around is critical to patients mental and physical health.
In Briarwood Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 1.97 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Briarwood Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 10.57 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is a correlation between staying out of the hospital and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Briarwood Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 13.36 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is generally a correlation between fewer emergency room visits and the overall quality of rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Briarwood Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 78.15% Percentage of Resident
Measures the percentage of short-term care residents that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Some experts argue that this is a reasonable measure of a nursing home's rehabilitation performance.
Scores for Little Rock, AR
- Overall Rating has a grade of D
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Little Rock, Arkansas has 6 other nursing homes
- Arkansas Heart Hospital, LLCAcute Care Hospitals 1.9 miles away1701 S Shackleford Road Little Rock Arkansas 72211Proprietary(501) 219-7000
- Uams Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.42 miles away4301 West Markham Street Mail Slot 612 Little Rock Arkansas 72205Government - State(501) 686-5000
- Arkansas Surgical HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.74 miles away5201 North Shore Drive North Little Rock Arkansas 72118Proprietary(501) 748-8000
- Arkansas Children's HospitalChildrens 4.08 miles away1 Children's Way, Slot 301 Little Rock Arkansas 72202Voluntary non-profit - Private(501) 364-1100
- Bridgeway Inc, ThePsychiatric 5.11 miles away21 Bridgeway Road Maumelle Arkansas 72113Proprietary(501) 771-1500
- Baptist Health Medical Center North Little RockAcute Care Hospitals 8.61 miles away3333 Springhill Drive North Little Rock Arkansas 72117Voluntary non-profit - Private(501) 202-3000
- St Vincent Medical Center/NorthAcute Care Hospitals 9.99 miles away2215 Wildwood Avenue Sherwood Arkansas 72120Voluntary non-profit - Church(501) 552-7100
- North Metro Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 16.09 miles away1400 Braden Street Jacksonville Arkansas 72076Proprietary(501) 985-7000
- Davita - Little Rock Dialysis0.59 miles away6 Freeway Drive Suite 100 Little Rock Arkansas 72204CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (501) 664-6754
- Fmcna - Little Rock Dialysis0.62 miles away10310 W Markham Ste 100 Little Rock Arkansas 72205CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (501) 225-3890
- Davita - Little Rock Midtown Dialysis0.86 miles away#2 Lile Ct Ste 102 Little Rock Arkansas 72205CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (501) 221-3123
- Westside Dialysis Unit LLC0.88 miles away1515 Kanis Park Dr Little Rock Arkansas 72204Dialysis Stations: 16 (501) 379-9208
- Arkansas Staff Assisted Hemodialysis Clinic0.95 miles away9421 West Markham Suite B Little Rock Arkansas 72205Dialysis Stations: 4 (501) 217-3888
- Dci - Little Rock Renal Services LLC1.04 miles away1910 John Barrow Rd Little Rock Arkansas 72204Dialysis Stations: 18 (501) 227-0983
- Fmcna - East Little Rock1.8 miles away5320 West 12th St Little Rock Arkansas 72204CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (501) 660-7867
- Arkansas Childrens Hospital-Dialysis3.84 miles away1 Childrens Way-Slot 204 Little Rock Arkansas 72202Dialysis Stations: 7 (501) 364-1813