Briarwood Nursing and Rehabilitation Center is in Little Rock, Arkansas. The city has many nursing home options. This facility was given a very respectable overall score of B, resulting in it being one of the three highest graded facilities in the city. This place truly has plenty working in its favor. This nursing home's impressive report card was highlighted by its inspection rating, which we will address in the next section.
Briarwood Nursing and Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Registered Staff Hours
To go along with its strong overall grade, we awarded this nursing home an A for our inspections rating. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in determining these inspection grades. One critical factor is deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of these deficiencies is usually more important than the quantity of deficiencies, as some of these are quite insignificant. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Even some of the best nursing homes receive an occasional ding on their inspection report.
Long-term Care Quality
Additionally, this facility also was awarded favorable long-term care scores in our assessment. In fact, we gave them one of our better grades in that category, with a score of B+. When nursing homes receive a score in this range in this category it typically means it has plenty of staff and is an overall good place to reside on a permanent basis. After considering the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we turned to the nursing home's vaccination record. This nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its patients against pneumonia, which is far higher than the majority of nursing homes. Lastly, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Briarwood Nursing and Rehabilitation Center?
This facility is also strong in the area of nursing, where it received a grade of B+. It outperformed most nursing homes in this category. Our nursing rating considers a number of subcategories. The most important variable is the number of hours nurses spend with residents. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This nursing home performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a nursing home has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can many times be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Short-term Care Quality
Turning to our next area, this nursing home was given a C for short-term care, which is a respectable grade. Short-term care grades are based on the nursing home's quantity of skilled nursing services. This includes a vast scope of services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, in addition to other types of therapy. It doesn't look like this facility submitted information on registered nurse or physical therapist staffing. The last statistic we looked at in this area is the number of patients who were able to leave the nursing home and return to the community. We discovered that just 5.1 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home, which is below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Briarwood Nursing and Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Briarwood Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 8.16% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of residents that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also called bed sores, are often the result of residents staying in one position for too long. Better nursing protocols minimizes the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Briarwood Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 4% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic is an indication of the percentage of long-term residents that sustained falls resulting in severe injury. We use this statistic in determining our nursing scores.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Briarwood Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 2.3% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of residents who have had a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered by many experts to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care . UTI's are often the result of a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. However, this statistic can be misleading for some facilities due to different reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Briarwood Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 12.13% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of residents who were given antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs may be helpful for many residents, it is important to make sure these drugs are being used appropriately. In limited situations, excessive reliance on these medications may mean a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Briarwood Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 21.55% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents given antianxiety medications. These drugs are prescribed to patients suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Briarwood Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 2.07% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents showing signs of depression. Increased levels of depression could indicate a less hospitable environment.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Briarwood Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 95.87% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients that have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Briarwood Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 11.98% Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term patients that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as moving around and bathing. Some would argue this is a reliable measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Briarwood Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 12.63% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term stay patients who maintained mobility.
In Briarwood Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 1.81 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. There is a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and the overall quality of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Briarwood Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 12.63 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is typically a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Briarwood Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 12.62 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is typically a correlation between reduced emergency room visits and the quality of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Briarwood Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 77.48% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percent of short-term care residents who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. High levels of independence with activities of daily living usually correlates with superior rehabilitation services.
Scores for Little Rock, AR
- Overall Rating has a grade of D
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Little Rock, Arkansas has 13 other nursing homes
- Arkansas Heart Hospital, LLCAcute Care Hospitals 1.9 miles away1701 S Shackleford Road Little Rock Arkansas 72211Proprietary(501) 219-7000
- Uams Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.42 miles away4301 West Markham Street Mail Slot 612 Little Rock Arkansas 72205Government - State(501) 686-5000
- Arkansas Surgical HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.74 miles away5201 North Shore Drive North Little Rock Arkansas 72118Proprietary(501) 748-8000
- Arkansas Children's HospitalChildrens 4.08 miles away1 Children's Way, Slot 301 Little Rock Arkansas 72202Voluntary non-profit - Private(501) 364-1100
- Bridgeway Inc, ThePsychiatric 5.11 miles away21 Bridgeway Road Maumelle Arkansas 72113Proprietary(501) 771-1500
- Baptist Health Medical Center North Little RockAcute Care Hospitals 8.61 miles away3333 Springhill Drive North Little Rock Arkansas 72117Voluntary non-profit - Private(501) 202-3000
- St Vincent Medical Center/NorthAcute Care Hospitals 9.99 miles away2215 Wildwood Avenue Sherwood Arkansas 72120Voluntary non-profit - Church(501) 552-7100
- North Metro Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 16.09 miles away1400 Braden Street Jacksonville Arkansas 72076Proprietary(501) 985-7000
- Davita - Little Rock Dialysis0.59 miles away6 Freeway Drive Suite 100 Little Rock Arkansas 72204CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (501) 664-6754
- Fmcna - Little Rock Dialysis0.62 miles away10310 W Markham Ste 100 Little Rock Arkansas 72205CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (501) 225-3890
- Davita - Little Rock Midtown Dialysis0.86 miles away#2 Lile Ct Ste 102 Little Rock Arkansas 72205CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (501) 221-3123
- Westside Dialysis Unit LLC0.88 miles away1515 Kanis Park Dr Little Rock Arkansas 72204Dialysis Stations: 16 (501) 379-9208
- Arkansas Staff Assisted Hemodialysis Clinic0.95 miles away9421 West Markham Suite B Little Rock Arkansas 72205Dialysis Stations: 4 (501) 217-3888
- Dci - Little Rock Renal Services LLC1.04 miles away1910 John Barrow Rd Little Rock Arkansas 72204Dialysis Stations: 18 (501) 227-0983
- Fmcna - East Little Rock1.8 miles away5320 West 12th St Little Rock Arkansas 72204CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (501) 660-7867
- Arkansas Childrens Hospital-Dialysis3.84 miles away1 Childrens Way-Slot 204 Little Rock Arkansas 72202Dialysis Stations: 7 (501) 364-1813