Briarcliffe Manor is located in Johnston, Rhode Island, a city with 28,790 people. Sporting an overall rating of A, this is clearly a top-shelf facility. In fact, we ranked this facility in the top 20 percent of all facilities in the country. This nursing home also received very consistent ratings in all of the major categories we assessed. Additional information about its category grades is available below.
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Pain Management
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to being a great overall grade, this facility also received A+ health inspections in recent years. Its inspections were virtually flawless. Our inspection grades are based on many pieces of information found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Facilities that receive favorable grades in this category have very few deficiencies on those reports. Most importantly, these facilities should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. Unfortunately, it does not look like we have deficiency data for this nursing home. Without the information regarding deficiencies for this facility, it was difficult to grade the place in the area of inspections.
One of the other reasons we rated this facility so highly is that it earned a very impressive nursing score. This turned out to be its second best category grade. In that category, we gave this nursing home an A. Our nursing rating is based on quite a few datapoints, however, the primary one is the quantity of nurse hours per patient per week. This nursing home averages 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This facility performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a place has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can many times be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Does this page answer your questions about Briarcliffe Manor?
Short-term Care Quality
We also would like to note the fact that this nursing home was awarded a superb score of A- in our short-term care category. In determining these short-term care ratings, we assess the nursing home's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses, respiratory therapists, physical therapists and other types of skilled professionals. The purpose is to create a measure for comparing the rehabilitation services of different nursing homes. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not every facility employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, according to the information they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The final statistic we assessed in this area is the percentage of residents that ultimately returned home from the facility. We found that 5.3 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home as opposed to remaining at the nursing home on a permanent basis.
Long-term Care Quality
The next category we scored was long-term care, where this nursing home was awarded a B. Although this is its worst category rating, this is still a strong score. Nursing homes that receive this type of score in this category tend to provide consistent around the clock care to make sure residents are kept in good health. In addition to looking at the volume of care provided by nurses and other staff, we analyzed the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its patients. Vaccines are vital to keeping patients healthy. Finally, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. It had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Briarcliffe Manor Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Briarcliffe Manor, 7.54% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of patients who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are routinely caused by residents staying in one position for too long. Better nursing protocols can limit the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Briarcliffe Manor, 3.81% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of patients that sustained a major fall. Falls leading to severe injuries are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a measure of nursing care . Falls which result in injury are often the result of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Briarcliffe Manor, 2.72% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of residents that have had a urinary tract infection. These infections may be associated with inadequate hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Briarcliffe Manor, 17.75% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term patients which were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. Increased usage of these drugs may mean a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior in situations where such medications are not medically required. However, some facilities may need to rely more on these medications due to an increased number of residents with Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Briarcliffe Manor, 15.06% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents who were given antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety medications are given to residents suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Briarcliffe Manor, 2.96% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients who are demonstrating depressive symptoms. Many in the industry believe this is a reasonable measure of patient quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Briarcliffe Manor, 94.59% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients that received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Briarcliffe Manor, 17.47% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Briarcliffe Manor, 23.44% Percentage of Residents
This is a measure of the percent of long-term patients who maintained mobility. Many argue that the ability to move around is important for patients health.
In Briarcliffe Manor, 1.17 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
Measures the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Briarcliffe Manor, 23.44 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Minimizing rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is important to restoring the health of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Briarcliffe Manor, 11.31 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Briarcliffe Manor, 77.51% Percentage of Resident
This metric measures the percentage of short-term residents that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Some would argue that this is a reliable measure of a facility's rehabilitation performance.
- Our Lady of Fatima HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.03 miles away200 High Service Avenue Providence Rhode Island 02904Proprietary(401) 456-3000
- Roger Williams Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.29 miles away825 Chalkstone Avenue Providence Rhode Island 02908Proprietary(401) 456-2025
- Women & Infants Hospital of Rhode IslandAcute Care Hospitals 5.25 miles away101 Dudley Street Providence Rhode Island 02905Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 274-1100
- Rhode Island HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.47 miles away593 Eddy Street Providence Rhode Island 02903Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 444-4000
- The Miriam HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.5 miles away164 Summit Avenue Providence Rhode Island 02906Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 793-2500
- Emma Pendleton Bradley HospitalPsychiatric 7.71 miles away1011 Veterans Memorial Parkway Riverside Rhode Island 02915Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 432-1000
- Kent County Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.99 miles away455 Toll Gate Rd Warwick Rhode Island 02886Proprietary(401) 737-7010
- Landmark Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 13.31 miles away115 Cass Avenue Woonsocket Rhode Island 02895Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 769-4100
- Dialysis Center of Johnston1.05 miles away1526 Atwood Avenue Johnston Rhode Island 02919CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (401) 521-0400
- Davita North Providence Renal Center4.75 miles away1635 Mineral Spring Ave. Providence Rhode Island 02904Dialysis Stations: 18 (401) 354-5340
- Dialysis Center of Providence4.81 miles away9 Plenty Street Providence Rhode Island 02907Dialysis Stations: 21 (401) 273-4898
- Nna of Providence5.57 miles away125 Corliss Street Providence Rhode Island 02904CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (401) 521-9300
- The Dialysis Center of Rhode Island Hospital7.44 miles away22 Baker Street Providence Rhode Island 02905Dialysis Stations: 18 (401) 444-4440
- Dialysis Center of Rhode Island Hospital7.86 miles away950 Warren Avenue Suite 101 East Providence Rhode Island 02914Dialysis Stations: 12 (401) 606-1002
- Nna - Pawtucket7.93 miles away79 Division Street Pawtucket Rhode Island 02860CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (401) 723-9995
- Fresenius Medical Care of Warwick8.18 miles away2814 Post Road Warwick Rhode Island 02886CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (401) 738-4050