Briarcliffe Manor is located in Johnston, Rhode Island, a city with 28,790 people. Sporting an overall rating of A, this is clearly a top-shelf facility. We were so impressed with this facility that we ranked it as one of the 25 best nursing homes in Rhode Island. This nursing home also received very consistent ratings in all of the major categories we assessed. Additional information about its category grades is available below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Johnston senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Pain Management
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Best Nursing Home in Rhode Island Awards 2019
Best Nursing Home in Johnston, Rhode Island Awards 2019
Top Nursing Home in Rhode Island Awards 2020
Top Nursing Home in Rhode Island Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to being a great overall grade, this facility also received A+ health inspections in recent years. Its inspections were virtually flawless. Our inspection grades are based on many pieces of information found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Facilities that receive favorable grades in this category have very few deficiencies on those reports. Most importantly, these facilities should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. Unfortunately, it does not look like we have deficiency data for this nursing home. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
One of the other reasons we rated this facility so highly is that it earned a very impressive nursing rating. In that area, we gave this nursing home an A. We analyzed the licensure of nurses working for the facility, in addition to the quantity of hours the nurses spent with patients, in calculating our grade in this category. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This place performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a place has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can often be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Does this page answer your questions about Briarcliffe Manor?
Long-term Care Quality
Turning the page to our next category, we awarded this facility a score of A for its long-term care grade. This is a first-rate score. When nursing homes receive a score in this range in this category it typically means it has plenty of staff and is an overall good place to reside on a permanent basis. In addition to looking at the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility gave the vaccine to 100 percent of its patients, which is very impressive. Pneumonia is often a dangerous illness for nursing home residents so we strongly prefer when a nursing home does not leave this to chance. Lastly, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. It had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Short-term Care Quality
The final category we assessed is short-term care. This facility was awarded a favorable nursing score this year, with a grade of B. Although this isn't nearly as dominant as many of its other category grades, this is nevertheless one of the more impressive scores for this category. In determining these short-term care grades, we look at the facility's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses, occupational therapists, physical therapists and other types of therapists. Our goal is to formulate a barometer for comparing the rehabilitation services of various facilities. Fortunately, it looks like this facility employs registered nurses. Not every facility employs these skilled professionals. However, according to the information they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Finally, we considered the number of patients who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 4.5 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Briarcliffe Manor Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Briarcliffe Manor, 7.72% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of patients who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are routinely caused by residents staying in one position for too long. Better nursing protocols can limit the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Briarcliffe Manor, 4.42% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of patients that sustained a major fall. Falls leading to severe injuries are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a measure of nursing care . Falls which result in injury are often the result of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Briarcliffe Manor, 2.86% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of residents that have had a urinary tract infection. These infections may be associated with inadequate hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Briarcliffe Manor, 19.59% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term patients which were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. Increased usage of these drugs may mean a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior in situations where such medications are not medically required. However, some facilities may need to rely more on these medications due to an increased number of residents with Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Briarcliffe Manor, 15.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents who were given antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety medications are given to residents suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Briarcliffe Manor, 2.02% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients who are demonstrating depressive symptoms. Many in the industry believe this is a reasonable measure of patient quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Briarcliffe Manor, 93.99% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients that received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Briarcliffe Manor, 16.08% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Briarcliffe Manor, 17.13% Percentage of Residents
This is a measure of the percent of long-term patients who maintained mobility. Many argue that the ability to move around is important for patients health.
In Briarcliffe Manor, 1.33 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
Measures the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Briarcliffe Manor, 17.13 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Minimizing rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is important to restoring the health of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Briarcliffe Manor, 13.94 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Briarcliffe Manor, 77.03% Percentage of Resident
This metric measures the percentage of short-term residents that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Some would argue that this is a reliable measure of a facility's rehabilitation performance.
- Our Lady of Fatima HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.03 miles away200 High Service Avenue Providence Rhode Island 02904Proprietary(401) 456-3000
- Roger Williams Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.29 miles away825 Chalkstone Avenue Providence Rhode Island 02908Proprietary(401) 456-2025
- Women & Infants Hospital of Rhode IslandAcute Care Hospitals 5.25 miles away101 Dudley Street Providence Rhode Island 02905Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 274-1100
- Rhode Island HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.47 miles away593 Eddy Street Providence Rhode Island 02903Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 444-4000
- The Miriam HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.5 miles away164 Summit Avenue Providence Rhode Island 02906Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 793-2500
- Emma Pendleton Bradley HospitalPsychiatric 7.71 miles away1011 Veterans Memorial Parkway Riverside Rhode Island 02915Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 432-1000
- Kent County Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.99 miles away455 Toll Gate Rd Warwick Rhode Island 02886Proprietary(401) 737-7010
- Landmark Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 13.31 miles away115 Cass Avenue Woonsocket Rhode Island 02895Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 769-4100
- Dialysis Center of Johnston1.05 miles away1526 Atwood Avenue Johnston Rhode Island 02919CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (401) 521-0400
- Davita North Providence Renal Center4.75 miles away1635 Mineral Spring Ave. Providence Rhode Island 02904Dialysis Stations: 18 (401) 354-5340
- Dialysis Center of Providence4.81 miles away9 Plenty Street Providence Rhode Island 02907Dialysis Stations: 21 (401) 273-4898
- Nna of Providence5.57 miles away125 Corliss Street Providence Rhode Island 02904CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (401) 521-9300
- The Dialysis Center of Rhode Island Hospital7.44 miles away22 Baker Street Providence Rhode Island 02905Dialysis Stations: 18 (401) 444-4440
- Dialysis Center of Rhode Island Hospital7.86 miles away950 Warren Avenue Suite 101 East Providence Rhode Island 02914Dialysis Stations: 12 (401) 606-1002
- Nna - Pawtucket7.93 miles away79 Division Street Pawtucket Rhode Island 02860CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (401) 723-9995
- Fresenius Medical Care of Warwick8.18 miles away2814 Post Road Warwick Rhode Island 02886CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (401) 738-4050