Briarcliff Nursing and Rehabilitation Center is a facility located in Mcallen, Texas, which has a total of 131,628 people. We gave this nursing home an overall grade of B-, which resulted in it being one of the top three facilities in Mcallen. Based on our assessment, there are certainly much worse places out there. One of the major highlights of this facility's profile is its stellar inspection score, which is addressed in the next section.
Briarcliff Nursing and Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
3201 N Ware Rd,
Mcallen TX 78501
69.84% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Government - Hospital district
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
While this nursing home's overall grade was decent, it really excelled in the category of inspections. In fact, we awarded it a grade of A for that category, which is one of our highest scores. These inspection grades take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies and substantiated complaints. You can learn more about each of these issues by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. While this place had a few minor dings on its report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are those found in categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This means CMS didn't consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
Turning to an additional strength for this facility, we gave it a strong long-term care score. In fact, we gave this facility a score of A-. When facilities receive a score in this range in long-term care it typically means it has plenty of staff and is a quality place to reside on a permanent basis. After considering the quantity of care provided by aids and other staff, we next considered the facility's vaccination records. This facility vaccinated 99.8004 percent of its residents against pneumonia. Vaccines are critical to keeping patients healthy. Finally, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. It had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Briarcliff Nursing and Rehabilitation Center?
Short-term Care Quality
We gave this facility a grade of just D for our short-term care score. This is well below average in this category. In determining our short-term care ratings, we analyze the nursing home's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses, respiratory therapists, physical therapists and other types of skilled professionals. Our goal is to devise a measure for comparing the rehabilitation services of nursing homes. Unfortunately, we learned that this place provided fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per patient than most facilities. Lastly, we looked at the number of residents who were able to return home from this nursing home. This facility didn't fare well here either. In fact, we found that just 0 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home. This figure was quite a bit off the national average.
The final category we looked at is nursing, which turned out to be this nursing home's worst area. We awarded this nursing home a grade of D in this category. Of course, this grade pulled down the nursing home's overall grade to a certain degree. In calculating our nursing grades, we assess both nursing hours and the training levels of those nurses. This particular place offered just 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient each day. This statistic is quite a bit below the national average. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in calculating our nursing ratings. This place performed well in the area of minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. Many consider these statistics to be good measures of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Briarcliff Nursing and Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Briarcliff Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 7.79% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric gauges the percentage of long-term care patients who have pressure ulcers . We bake this statistic into our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Briarcliff Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 3.33% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric tells you the percent of long-term patients which have sustained a fall leading to major injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but excessive numbers of falls could be an indication of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Briarcliff Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 1.51% of Patients had UTIs
This gauges the percent of long-term residents who sustained UTI's. UTI's may be a sign of poor nursing care. However, this datapoint may be misleading for some nursing homes due to different reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Briarcliff Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 11.48% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of residents who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. These medications are sometimes used for a variety of conditions, including Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Briarcliff Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 22.56% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of patients given antianxiety medications. These medications are commonly given to residents suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Briarcliff Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 4.81% of Patients
This is the percent of residents who are demonstrating symptoms of depression. Increased rates of depression may be an indicator worse patient care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Briarcliff Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 94.64% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term patients that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Briarcliff Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 17.1% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Briarcliff Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 16.36% Percentage of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term residents who were able to retain mobility.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Briarcliff Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 16.36 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
Measures the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care. Minimizing rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the physical well-being of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Briarcliff Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 11.4 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is typically a correlation between staying out of the emergency room and the quality of care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Briarcliff Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 66.86% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percentage of short-term patients that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
Scores for Mcallen, TX
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of D
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Mcallen, Texas has 7 other nursing homes
- Doctors Hospital at RenaissanceAcute Care Hospitals 3.5 miles away5501 South Mccoll Edinburg Texas 78539Physician(956) 362-8677
- Rio Grande Regional HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.96 miles away101 E Ridge Rd Mcallen Texas 78503Proprietary(956) 632-6000
- Cornerstone Regional HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.08 miles away2302 Cornerstone Boulevard Edinburg Texas 78539Proprietary(956) 618-4444
- Mission Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.42 miles away900 South Bryan Road Mission Texas 78572Voluntary non-profit - Private(956) 323-9000
- South Texas Health SystemAcute Care Hospitals 5.02 miles away1102 W Trenton Road Edinburg Texas 78539Proprietary(956) 632-4484
- Knapp Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 18.43 miles away1401 East Eight Street Weslaco Texas 78596Voluntary non-profit - Private(956) 968-8567
- Fresenius Medical Care Mcallen3.02 miles away1325 East Quebec Mcallen Texas 78503CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 37 (956) 682-1259
- Dialysis Care of Mcallen3.57 miles away411 Lindberg Avenue Mcallen Texas 78501CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (956) 687-6701
- South Texas Dialysis Center3.85 miles away1615 E Expy 83 Mission Texas 78572CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (956) 581-2136
- Usrc Mcallen Dialysis4.01 miles away1301 East Ridge Road Suite C Mcallen Texas 78503Dialysis Stations: 28 (956) 668-8484
- Fresenius Medical Care Edinburg Kidney Center4.1 miles away5406 South Jackson Road Edinburg Texas 78539CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (956) 668-1208
- Usrc Conway, LLC4.18 miles away200 West 2 Mile Line Mission Texas 78574Dialysis Stations: 25 (956) 445-5365
- Valley Dialysis of Mcallen4.25 miles away2000 S. Cynthia Street Mcallen Texas 78503CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (956) 994-3374
- Egonsa Dialysis, LLC4.27 miles away2500 South Jackson Rd Mcallen Texas 78503Dialysis Stations: 21 (956) 664-8251