Briarcliff Nursing and Rehabilitation Center is a facility located in Mcallen, Texas, which has a total of 131,628 people. This is a good nursing home with a B- overall grade. This grade is right in line with the city grade in Mcallen. Based on our assessment, there are certainly far worse facilities out there. One of the best aspects of this facility's report card is its remarkable inspection rating, which you can find in the next section.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Briarcliff Nursing and Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Mcallen senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Government - Hospital district
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to being a respectable nursing home overall, this facility really excelled in the category of inspections, where it received a grade of A. Few nursing homes performed better in this category. Our inspection scores are based on many datapoints found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Facilities that receive favorable grades in this area typically have few deficiencies on those reports. Most importantly, these places generally do not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. While this nursing home had a few deficiencies on its government inspection report, none were severe based on CMS' deficiency scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home also received high marks in the area of long-term care, with a superb grade of A- in this category. When facilities receive a grade in this range in this category it generally means it has plenty of staff and is an overall good place to reside on a permanent basis. One of the datapoints we considered after nursing hours was vaccines. This facility provided the pneumonia vaccine to 100 percent of its patients. This is a reliable method to avoid unnecessary hospitalizations for the elderly population. Lastly, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had only 0 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Briarcliff Nursing and Rehabilitation Center?
Short-term Care Quality
The third area we assessed was short-term care, where this facility's score was significantly lower as some of its other scores. In that category, we awarded this facility an F. In our short-term care grade, we endeavor to craft a fair gauge for rehabilitation services. In this process, we assess the nursing home's offerings of skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as occupational therapy. It looks like this place was subpar in many staffing areas we assessed. It supplied fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than most other nursing homes. The final statistic we considered in this category is the percentage of patients who were able to return home from the nursing home. This nursing home struggled quite a bit in this area as well, with just 0 percent of its residents returning home. Unfortunately, this was quite a bit below the national average.
The final area we assessed is nursing. Sadly, it received an F in this category, which is a poor grade. This is obviously a significant concern. The nursing category assesses a handful of data points, most of which are associated with quantities of nurse staffing. With only 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident each day, this place's nurse staffing levels were far below average. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in computing our nursing scores. This place fared well in the area of minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Briarcliff Nursing and Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Briarcliff Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 4.46% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric gauges the percentage of long-term care patients who have pressure ulcers . We bake this statistic into our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Briarcliff Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 2.66% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric tells you the percent of long-term patients which have sustained a fall leading to major injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but excessive numbers of falls could be an indication of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Briarcliff Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 0% of Patients had UTIs
This gauges the percent of long-term residents who sustained UTI's. UTI's may be a sign of poor nursing care. However, this datapoint may be misleading for some nursing homes due to different reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Briarcliff Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 21.16% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of residents who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. These medications are sometimes used for a variety of conditions, including Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Briarcliff Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 17.01% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of patients given antianxiety medications. These medications are commonly given to residents suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Briarcliff Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 3% of Patients
This is the percent of residents who are demonstrating symptoms of depression. Increased rates of depression may be an indicator worse patient care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Briarcliff Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 100% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term patients that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Briarcliff Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 29.65% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Briarcliff Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 4.79% of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term residents who were able to retain mobility.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Briarcliff Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 4.79% of Residents Rehospitalized
Measures the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care. Minimizing rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the physical well-being of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Briarcliff Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 11.75% of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is typically a correlation between staying out of the emergency room and the quality of care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Briarcliff Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 73.24% of Resident
This indicates the percentage of short-term patients that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
Scores for Mcallen, TX
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Mcallen, Texas has 3 other nursing homes
- Doctors Hospital at RenaissanceAcute Care Hospitals 3.5 miles away5501 South Mccoll Edinburg Texas 78539Physician(956) 362-8677
- Rio Grande Regional HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.96 miles away101 E Ridge Rd Mcallen Texas 78503Proprietary(956) 632-6000
- Cornerstone Regional HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.08 miles away2302 Cornerstone Boulevard Edinburg Texas 78539Proprietary(956) 618-4444
- Mission Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.42 miles away900 South Bryan Road Mission Texas 78572Voluntary non-profit - Private(956) 323-9000
- South Texas Health SystemAcute Care Hospitals 5.02 miles away1102 W Trenton Road Edinburg Texas 78539Proprietary(956) 632-4484
- Knapp Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 18.43 miles away1401 East Eight Street Weslaco Texas 78596Voluntary non-profit - Private(956) 968-8567
- Fresenius Medical Care Mcallen3.02 miles away1325 East Quebec Mcallen Texas 78503CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 37 (956) 682-1259
- Dialysis Care of Mcallen3.57 miles away411 Lindberg Avenue Mcallen Texas 78501CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (956) 687-6701
- South Texas Dialysis Center3.85 miles away1615 E Expy 83 Mission Texas 78572CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (956) 581-2136
- Usrc Mcallen Dialysis4.01 miles away1301 East Ridge Road Suite C Mcallen Texas 78503Dialysis Stations: 28 (956) 668-8484
- Fresenius Medical Care Edinburg Kidney Center4.1 miles away5406 South Jackson Road Edinburg Texas 78539CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (956) 668-1208
- Usrc Conway, LLC4.18 miles away200 West 2 Mile Line Mission Texas 78574Dialysis Stations: 25 (956) 445-5365
- Valley Dialysis of Mcallen4.25 miles away2000 S. Cynthia Street Mcallen Texas 78503CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (956) 994-3374
- Egonsa Dialysis, LLC4.27 miles away2500 South Jackson Rd Mcallen Texas 78503Dialysis Stations: 21 (956) 664-8251