Briar Hill Rest Home is the sole facility located in Florence, Mississippi. This nursing home proved to be a decent facility, with an overall grade of B-. This nursing home seems to have some things going for it. One of the major highlights of this nursing home's profile is its stellar inspection score, which is addressed in the next section.
Briar Hill Rest Home
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
The primary reason this turned out to be a decent nursing home is that it received an excellent inspection grade. In fact, its inspection score was far superior to its overall grade. In the inspections category, we gave it an A. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in determining these inspection ratings. One critical factor is health deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of the deficiencies is arguably more meaningful than the quantity of deficiencies, as some end up being quite minor. This facility was hit with 2 deficiencies on its inspection report, but fortunately none were considered severe. This tells you that the government inspectors did not deem any of these deficiencies an imminent risk to resident safety or health. A few relatively minor deficiencies aren't something to panic about.
This nursing home also received a strong nursing grade. In fact, we awarded it a grade of B in that category, which is one of our better scores. Our nursing grade is mostly associated with a nursing home's level of nurse staffing. This nursing home averages 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This place performed very well in the area of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Does this page answer your questions about Briar Hill Rest Home?
Long-term Care Quality
We also gave this nursing home a middle of the pack score in the category of long-term care, where it received a B-. Long-term care grades assess a facility's personal care instead of the skilled nursing or medical services that are critical to a rehabilitation facility. After looking at the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we then looked at the nursing home's vaccination statistics. We were disappointed to learn that this facility vaccinated a relatively low 83.06878 percent of its residents against pneumonia. Nevertheless, this nursing home excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. It had only 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home's worst area was short-term care, which is the last category we scored. In this area, we gave this facility a D. Our short-term care grade is generally employed to assess a facility's performance with rehabilitation. In order to offer quality rehabilitation services, nursing homes generally need to offer better levels of highly skilled nursing. These types of services include registered nurses, physical therapists, speech therapists and other types of therapists. It appears that this facility was below average in two of the key staffing metrics we focus on. It provided fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per resident than most facilities. Lastly, we assessed the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. This definitely wasn't a strength for this facility. We found that just 3.9 percent of this facility's patients returned home. At most facilities, about half of their patients are able to return home so this is well below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Briar Hill Rest Home Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Briar Hill Rest Home, 10.98% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of residents that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also known as bed sores, are routinely caused by patients not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing care minimizes the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Briar Hill Rest Home, 3.19% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of patients who sustained a major fall. Falls resulting in major injuries are routinely caused by lower levels of patient supervision. Better nursing protocols limits the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Briar Hill Rest Home, 3.13% of Patients had UTIs
This figure tells you the percentage of long-term patients which have had a UTI. Although more infections could reflect poorly on a nursing home's nursing care, it can be problematic to compare between facilities due to facilities having varying reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Briar Hill Rest Home, 20.09% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint gauges the percent of long-term stay patients who were given antipsychotic medication. Increased usage of these drugs may indicate a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior in situations where such drugs aren't medically indicated. Nevertheless, some facilities need to rely on these drugs due to having more residents suffering from dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Briar Hill Rest Home, 22.77% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint indicates the percentage of long-term patients who are given antianxiety medication. These medications are generally prescribed to patients suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Briar Hill Rest Home, 2.34% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents demonstrating signs of depression. Higher levels of depression could reveal a lower level of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Briar Hill Rest Home, 93.38% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term stay patients that were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Briar Hill Rest Home, 19.45% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Briar Hill Rest Home, 23.26% Percentage of Residents
This is the percentage of residents that maintained mobility over time. Preserving mobility is usually a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Briar Hill Rest Home, 1.76 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Briar Hill Rest Home, 23.26 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is a correlation between staying out of the hospital and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Briar Hill Rest Home, 13.82 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Briar Hill Rest Home, 68.23% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percentage of short-term stay patients who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
- Merit Health RankinAcute Care Hospitals 9.04 miles away350 Crossgates Blvd Brandon Mississippi 39042Proprietary(601) 825-2811
- Mississippi Baptist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.6 miles away1225 N State St Jackson Mississippi 39202Voluntary non-profit - Private(601) 968-1000
- Merit Health River OaksAcute Care Hospitals 10.06 miles away1030 River Oaks Drive Flowood Mississippi 39232Proprietary(601) 932-1030
- Merit Health CentralAcute Care Hospitals 10.43 miles away1850 Chadwick Dr Jackson Mississippi 39204Proprietary(601) 376-1000
- University of Mississippi Med CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.51 miles away2500 N State St Jackson Mississippi 39216Government - State(601) 984-4100
- Brentwood Behavioral Healthcare of MsPsychiatric 10.63 miles away3531 East Lakeland Drive Flowood Mississippi 39232Proprietary(601) 936-2024
- St Dominic-Jackson Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.7 miles away969 Lakeland Dr Jackson Mississippi 39216Voluntary non-profit - Church(601) 200-2000
- Isd Renal Inc7.87 miles away1015 I-20 Frontage Rd Jackson Mississippi 39204CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 35 (601) 373-9154
- Isd Brandon LLC8.69 miles away101 Christian Drive Brandon Mississippi 39042Dialysis Stations: 20 (601) 824-9764
- Lakeland Home Program, LLC9.07 miles away209 Mar Lyn Drive Brandon Mississippi 39042CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (601) 591-0053
- Bio-Medical Applications of Mississippi, Inc.9.09 miles away656 North State Street Jackson Mississippi 39202Dialysis Stations: 10 (601) 944-0151
- Fresenius Medical Care Southwest Jackson Home9.93 miles away1421 N State Street Suite 501 Jackson Mississippi 39202Dialysis Stations: 2 (601) 292-1545
- Fmc Southwest Jackson10.15 miles away1856 Hospital Drive Jackson Mississippi 39204CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 29 (601) 371-2896
- Isd Renal Inc10.41 miles away1828 Raymond Road Jackson Mississippi 39204CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (601) 373-7897
- Fmc Jackson10.85 miles away381 Medical Drive Jackson Mississippi 39216CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 38 (601) 981-9652