Bria of River Oaks looks like it is one of a list of 81 nursing homes in Chicago, Illinois. This city has more facilities than most areas in the country. This nursing home received an overall grade of F. Keep in mind that Chicago received a city grade of C, so should consider some other options in the city as well. We wouldn't blame you if you are ready to stop reading and find another nursing home. However, if you want to learn more about this place's category grades, we will discuss inspections in the next section.
Bria of River Oaks
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
14500 South Manistee,
Chicago IL 60633
77.08% estimated occupancy 1
Note: Bria of River Oaks has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Pain Management
- Bariatric Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
While we graded this facility incredibly poorly overall, it received a fairly respectable inspection report this year. As a result, it received a decent grade in that category with a score of B-. Our inspection grades are tied to many pieces of information found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Deficiencies are an important item to look for on these inspections. Severe deficiencies indicate a threat to patient safety. This facility was assessed 5 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none of the deficiencies were considered severe. This indicates that CMS didn't consider any of the deficiencies to be an imminent threat to resident health or safety. Lastly, this facility was flagged by CMS for possible abuse or neglect. We prefer to avoid facilities with this designation. Please do your best to find an alternative nursing home.
Long-term Care Quality
Sadly, this nursing home only earned a grade of D for its long-term care rating, which turns out to be one of its more respectable category grades. In a long-term care setting, the nursing home's primary goal is to keep patients healthy and safe. This is different than skilled nursing or short-term care where the goal is to rehabilitate residents. In addition to considering the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we analyzed the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home provided the vaccine to 98.73853 percent of its residents. To our surprise, this place was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. It had just 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days. Unfortunately, a few of its other scores in this category were not as favorable as these.
Does this page answer your questions about Bria of River Oaks?
Short-term Care Quality
We gave this facility a grade of just D for our short-term care grade. This is well below average in this category. Our short-term care grades are based in part on the facility's quantity of highly-skilled nursing services. This includes a broad spectrum of nursing services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, in addition to other types of therapy. With a grade this poor for this category, we were not stunned to discover this facility was below average in several staffing metrics we assess. It provided significantly fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per patient than most facilities. Lastly, we assessed the percentage of residents who were able to return to the community from this facility. This definitely was not a strength for this facility. We found that just 0 percent of this facility's patients returned home. At most facilities, around half of their patients are able to return home so this is well below average.
The final category we graded was nursing. This nursing home received a bottom of the barrel grade of F in this category. Nursing scores are based in large part on nurse staffing levels. This facility provided just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a very low total compared to most nursing homes. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in computing our nursing ratings. This place fared well in terms of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Bria of River Oaks Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Bria of River Oaks, 8.73% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of patients who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin resulting from remaining in the same position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Bria of River Oaks, 3.45% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of residents who have had a major fall. Falls resulting in major injuries are considered to be a barometer of nursing care . Major falls are routinely the result of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Bria of River Oaks, 2.6% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of residents that suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections are linked to poor hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Bria of River Oaks, 18.11% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure tells you the percentage of long-term residents who were given antipsychotic drugs. High levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate that a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior in scenarios where such drugs are not medically indicated. Nevertheless, some facilities need to rely on these drugs due to having more patients with dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Bria of River Oaks, 19.04% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of residents who were given antianxiety medications. Antianxiety drugs are prescribed to residents experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Bria of River Oaks, 30.45% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term residents exhibiting symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Bria of River Oaks, 87.4% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term residents who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Bria of River Oaks, 13.9% Percentage of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term patients who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as moving around and continence.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Bria of River Oaks, 17.56% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of patients that remained mobile levels over time. Preserving mobility is often a great sign for residents' health.
In Bria of River Oaks, 1.66 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Bria of River Oaks, 17.56 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care. Staying out of the hospital during rehabilitation is important to restoring the health of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Bria of River Oaks, 11.82 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Bria of River Oaks, 71.65% Percentage of Resident
This is a measure of the percent of short-term care residents that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Some experts believe that this is a reasonable measure of a facility's rehabilitation services.
Scores for Chicago, IL
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Chicago, Illinois has 80 other nursing homes
- Franciscan Health HammondAcute Care Hospitals 2.06 miles away5454 Hohman Ave Hammond Indiana 46320Voluntary non-profit - Church(219) 932-2300
- St Catherine Hospital IncAcute Care Hospitals 5.51 miles away4321 Fir St East Chicago Indiana 46312Voluntary non-profit - Private(219) 392-7004
- Roseland Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.55 miles away45 W 111th Street Chicago Illinois 60628Voluntary non-profit - Other(773) 995-3000
- Ingalls Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.63 miles away1 Ingalls Drive Harvey Illinois 60426Voluntary non-profit - Private(708) 333-2300
- Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.16 miles away901 Macarthur Blvd Munster Indiana 46321Voluntary non-profit - Private(219) 836-1600
- Advocate Trinity HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.63 miles away2320 E 93rd St Chicago Illinois 60617Voluntary non-profit - Other(773) 967-5002
- Franciscan Health MunsterAcute Care Hospitals 6.84 miles away701 Superior Ave Munster Indiana 46321Voluntary non-profit - Private(219) 922-4200
- South Shore HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.24 miles away8012 South Crandon Avenue Chicago Illinois 60617Voluntary non-profit - Private(773) 356-5000
- Davita - Calumet City Dialysis0.57 miles away1200 Sibley Blvd Calumet City Illinois 60409Dialysis Stations: 16 (708) 862-6454
- Hammond Dialysis Center1.74 miles away7 Sibley Street Hammond Indiana 46320Dialysis Stations: 29 (219) 937-2819
- Fmc - North Hammond2 miles away5454 Hohman Avenue Dialysis Unit on Campus Hammond Indiana 46320CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (219) 933-2089
- Davita - Hammond Dialysis2.11 miles away222 Douglas Street Hammond Indiana 46320CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (219) 932-1199
- Fmc - Neomedica - South Holland3.45 miles away17225 S Paxton Ave South Holland Illinois 60473CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 23 (708) 474-8700
- Davita - South Holland3.88 miles away16110 Lasalle Street South Holland Illinois 60473CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (708) 331-7697
- Fmc - Liberty Dialysis - Hammond4.1 miles away7214 Calumet Avenue Hammond Indiana 46324CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (219) 228-4477
- Davita Whiting Dialysis4.14 miles away816 119th St. Whiting Indiana 46394Dialysis Stations: 9 (219) 473-0712