Bria of River Oaks looks like it is one of a list of 39 nursing homes in Chicago, Illinois. This city has more facilities than most areas in the country. This nursing home received an overall grade of F. We ranked this as one of the ten worst rated nursing homes in Chicago. Since the city has countless other facilities, you ought to be able to find a better option here. We would not blame you if you are ready to stop reading and find another nursing home. However, if you want to learn more about this facility's category grades, inspection grades are discussed in the next paragraph.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Bria of River Oaks
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Note: Bria of River Oaks has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
Get pricing and details on Chicago senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Pain Management
- Bariatric Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
While we graded this facility incredibly poorly overall, it received a fairly respectable inspection report this year. As a result, it received a decent grade in that category with a score of B-. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in determining these inspection grades. One key factor is health deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of the deficiencies is arguably more meaningful than the number of deficiencies, as some end up being quite minor. Fortunately, although this nursing home had some minor dings on its government inspection report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are found in categories G through L. This tells you that the inspectors didn't consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. Lastly, this nursing home was cited by CMS for possible abuse or neglect. This is generally a really bad sign. We would never recommend this facility.
Short-term Care Quality
Turning to the category of short-term care, this nursing home was awarded just a D in this area. As it turns out, this ended up being one of its best areas. Our short-term care ratings are critical for individuals seeking rehabilitation. Rehabilitation typically utilizes additional skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing includes a broad spectrum of services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, as well as other variations of therapy. Not surprisingly, we found that this nursing home provides far less physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than the average facility. Finally, we considered the percentage of patients that returned home from this nursing home. This nursing home didn't fare well here either. In fact, we found that just 0 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home. This figure was well off the national average.
Does this page answer your questions about Bria of River Oaks?
This facility ended up receiving rock bottom score in our nursing category. It received an F in this category. Nursing scores are largely associated with a facility's level of nurse staffing. This particular facility provided just 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient each day. This number is far below average. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in computing our nursing scores. This nursing home performed well when it comes to avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. Many consider these statistics to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Long-term Care Quality
The final area we analyzed was long-term care. Unfortunately, we gave it an abysmal F in this area, which is an abysmal score. For prospective residents seeking a permanent residence rather than rehabilitation, long-term care grades are an important measure. After considering the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we turned to the nursing home's vaccination record. We were optimistic to find that this facility vaccinated 99.780945 percent of its patients against pneumonia. To our surprise, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. With only 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, this nursing home had less hospitalizations than many nursing homes. Sadly, some of its other scores in the category weren't as favorable as these.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Bria of River Oaks Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Bria of River Oaks, 7.14% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of residents that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also known as bed sores, are routinely the result of residents not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing care limits the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Bria of River Oaks, 1.2% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of patients who have had a fall leading to severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Bria of River Oaks, 0% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of residents that have had a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered by many experts to be an indicator of nursing care . UTI's are routinely associated with lower quality nursing care. However, this metric may also be skewed for some nursing homes due to inconsistent reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Bria of River Oaks, 1.59% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents given antipsychotic medications. These medications may be used for treating a variety of medical conditions, such as dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Bria of River Oaks, 9.66% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic gauges the percent of long-term residents that were given antianxiety medication. These drugs are generally given to patients experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Bria of River Oaks, 90.02% of Patients
This is the percent of residents who are showing symptoms of depression. Higher levels of depression could be an indicator a lower level of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Bria of River Oaks, 98.41% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Bria of River Oaks, 5.27% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as getting dressed and taking a bath. Some experts believe this is a reasonable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Bria of River Oaks, 4.49% of Residents
This is the percentage of patients that maintained mobility over time. Optimizing mobility is usually a great sign for residents' health.
In Bria of River Oaks, 0.01 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Bria of River Oaks, 4.49% of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Avoiding the hospital during rehabilitation is key to restoring the physical well-being of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Bria of River Oaks, 5.16% of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is usually a correlation between reduced emergency room visits and the quality of rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Bria of River Oaks, 62.31% of Resident
This tells you the percentage of short-term stay patients who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Higher levels of independence with activities of daily living often correlates with successful rehabilitation.
Scores for Chicago, IL
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-minus
Looking for more options? Chicago, Illinois has 38 other nursing homes
- Franciscan Health HammondAcute Care Hospitals 2.06 miles away5454 Hohman Ave Hammond Indiana 46320Voluntary non-profit - Church(219) 932-2300
- St Catherine Hospital IncAcute Care Hospitals 5.51 miles away4321 Fir St East Chicago Indiana 46312Voluntary non-profit - Private(219) 392-7004
- Roseland Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.55 miles away45 W 111th Street Chicago Illinois 60628Voluntary non-profit - Other(773) 995-3000
- Ingalls Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.63 miles away1 Ingalls Drive Harvey Illinois 60426Voluntary non-profit - Private(708) 333-2300
- Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.16 miles away901 Macarthur Blvd Munster Indiana 46321Voluntary non-profit - Private(219) 836-1600
- Advocate Trinity HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.63 miles away2320 E 93rd St Chicago Illinois 60617Voluntary non-profit - Other(773) 967-5002
- Franciscan Health MunsterAcute Care Hospitals 6.84 miles away701 Superior Ave Munster Indiana 46321Voluntary non-profit - Private(219) 922-4200
- South Shore HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.24 miles away8012 South Crandon Avenue Chicago Illinois 60617Voluntary non-profit - Private(773) 356-5000
- Davita - Calumet City Dialysis0.57 miles away1200 Sibley Blvd Calumet City Illinois 60409Dialysis Stations: 16 (708) 862-6454
- Hammond Dialysis Center1.74 miles away7 Sibley Street Hammond Indiana 46320Dialysis Stations: 29 (219) 937-2819
- Fmc - North Hammond2 miles away5454 Hohman Avenue Dialysis Unit on Campus Hammond Indiana 46320CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (219) 933-2089
- Davita - Hammond Dialysis2.11 miles away222 Douglas Street Hammond Indiana 46320CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (219) 932-1199
- Fmc - Neomedica - South Holland3.45 miles away17225 S Paxton Ave South Holland Illinois 60473CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 23 (708) 474-8700
- Davita - South Holland3.88 miles away16110 Lasalle Street South Holland Illinois 60473CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (708) 331-7697
- Fmc - Liberty Dialysis - Hammond4.1 miles away7214 Calumet Avenue Hammond Indiana 46324CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (219) 228-4477
- Davita Whiting Dialysis4.14 miles away816 119th St. Whiting Indiana 46394Dialysis Stations: 9 (219) 473-0712