Brentwood Health Care Center is a nursing home located in Northfield, Ohio. The city has 20,441 people. We gave it an overall grade of B-, which is a middle of the pack rating. This facility has some things working in its favor. The best part of this facility's report card was is its inspection score. Inspection reports are discussed in the next paragraph.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Brentwood Health Care Center
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Northfield senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Individual
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
The main reason this nursing home received a decent overall grade is its excellent inspections in recent years. We awarded them one of our better scores in that area, with an A-. This is a notably better grade than the facility's overall score, which was decent but certainly not elite. Our inspection ratings weigh several factors found on a nursing home's inspection report. One key criteria we rely on is the number and severity of deficiencies. Places with higher grades in this category generally have few of these severe deficiencies. Although this place had some deficiencies on its government inspection report, none of them were severe based on CMS' scale. A few relatively minor dings are not necessarily something to panic about.
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home also was given an impressive score in our long-term care category. We gave this nursing home an above average grade of B in this area. Long-term care grades of this caliber generally require both 24/7 care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine medical care. Once we assessed the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we then analyzed the facility's vaccination record. This nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its patients for pneumonia. Vaccines are vital to keeping patients healthy. Finally, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Brentwood Health Care Center?
One of this facility's better category grades was in the area of nursing care. In that area, we gave this facility a grade of C. Nursing ratings are based largely on nurse staffing levels. This nursing home averages just 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a very low figure. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this place actually excelled in some of the quality-based metrics we looked at. It performed well when it comes to avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be indicators of the quality of nursing care. In many cases, the quality of nursing care is every bit as important as the number of hours of care offered.
Short-term Care Quality
The next area we graded was short-term care. This facility received a C in the category. In calculating our short-term care ratings, we assess the facility's levels of highly skilled nursing services, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists respiratory therapists and other licensed professionals. This grade is frequently a fair assessment of a nursing home's ability to rehabilitate patients. Fortunately, it appear that this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not all facilities employs these skilled professionals. However, based on the information this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The last measure we assessed in this area is the number of residents who who were able to eventually return home from the facility. We found that just 4.9 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Brentwood Health Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Brentwood Health Care Center, 7.3% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of patients who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are often caused by residents staying in one position for too long. Better nursing protocols limits the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Brentwood Health Care Center, 3.68% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of patients who suffered from a major fall. Falls resulting in major injury are routinely the result of lower quality nursing care. More supervision minimizes the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Brentwood Health Care Center, 1.34% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of residents who suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are often caused by facilities with lower levels of hygiene. Closer supervision can minimize the number of UTI's sustained by residents in a nursing home. Keep in mind that this metric is sometimes skewed by the fact that nursing homes have varying reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Brentwood Health Care Center, 12.59% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure measures the percent of long-term residents that are prescribed antipsychotic drugs. Excessive reliance on these medications may indicate a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents in situations where such drugs aren't medically required. However, some facilities may need to rely more on these medications due to having more residents with cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Brentwood Health Care Center, 21.99% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents who were prescribed antianxiety medications. These medications are typically prescribed to residents experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Brentwood Health Care Center, 21.39% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term stay patients exhibiting signs of depression. Many believe this is a reasonable measure of patient quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Brentwood Health Care Center, 88.91% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients that were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Brentwood Health Care Center, 14.84% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as moving around and bathing. Many believe this is a reasonable measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Brentwood Health Care Center, 12.66% Percentage of Residents
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents who maintained mobility. Some argue that the ability to move around is important for residents' mental and physical well-being.
In Brentwood Health Care Center, 1.43 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Brentwood Health Care Center, 12.66 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care. Keeping residents out of the hospital during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the physical well-being of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Brentwood Health Care Center, 12.98 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care. There is usually a correlation between fewer emergency room visits and the overall quality of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Brentwood Health Care Center, 75.85% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of short-term care patients that saw functional improvements.
- Marymount HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.6 miles away12300 Mccracken Road Cleveland Ohio 44125Voluntary non-profit - Private(216) 581-0500
- University Hospitals Ahuja Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.39 miles away3999 Richmond Road Beachwood Ohio 44122Voluntary non-profit - Private(216) 593-5510
- Metrohealth SystemAcute Care Hospitals 12.1 miles away2500 Metrohealth Drive Cleveland Ohio 44109Voluntary non-profit - Other(216) 778-7089
- Summa Western Reserve HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.98 miles away1900 23rd Street Cuyahoga Falls Ohio 44223Voluntary non-profit - Other(330) 971-7000
- Cleveland ClinicAcute Care Hospitals 13.34 miles away9500 Euclid Avenue Cleveland Ohio 44195Voluntary non-profit - Private(216) 445-8400
- Rainbow Babies and Childrens HospitalChildrens 13.5 miles away11100 Euclid Avenue Cleveland Ohio 44106Voluntary non-profit - Other(216) 844-1000
- Uh Cleveland Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 13.5 miles away11100 Euclid Avenue Cleveland Ohio 44106Voluntary non-profit - Private(216) 844-1000
- St Vincent Charity Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 13.6 miles away2351 East 22nd Street Cleveland Ohio 44115Voluntary non-profit - Private(216) 861-6200
- Nephrology Associates at Oakwood, Ltd.5.2 miles away7690 First Place, Suite E, Bldg D Bedford Ohio 44146CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (440) 439-1526
- Davita Twinsburg Dialysis6.49 miles away2592 E. Aurora Rd. Suite 100 Twinsburg Ohio 44087Dialysis Stations: 13 (330) 405-3030
- Nephrology Associates of Cleveland, Ltd.6.75 miles away5595 Transportation Blvd., Suite 110 Cleveland Ohio 44125CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (216) 581-0801
- Davita Rockside Dialysis7.05 miles away4801 Acorn Drive Independence Ohio 44131Dialysis Stations: 14 (216) 525-0990
- Cleveland Home Dialysis7.48 miles away9729 Granger Road Cleveland Ohio 44125Dialysis Stations: 4 (216) 438-7325
- Fmc - Solon7.91 miles away6020 Enterprise Parkway Solon Ohio 44139Dialysis Stations: 16 (440) 248-7061
- Fmc - Ohio Renal Care Group-North Randall8.51 miles away5035 Richmond Road Bedford Ohio 44146Dialysis Stations: 15 (216) 591-1364
- Nephrology Associates of Cleveland, Ltd.8.67 miles away4877 Galaxy Parkway Suite A Cleveland Ohio 44128CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (216) 378-5050