Brackenville Center is an average-sized nursing home located in Hockessin, Delaware. This proved to be a highly rated facility, with an overall grade of B+. We ranked this facility in the top 50 facilities in Delaware. This nursing home's strong report card was highlighted by its nursing score, which we will address in the next section.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Hockessin senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Bariatric Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Top Nursing Home in Delaware Awards 2019
Top Nursing Home in Delaware Awards 2020
Best Nursing Home in Delaware Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
On top of receiving a strong overall grade, this nursing home performed well in our nursing category. We awarded it a grade of A for that category, which is one of our highest scores. When computing a nursing home's nursing grade, we look at the amount of time nurses spend with patients and the skill levels of the nurses. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality-based metrics and this place excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any place the state in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can typically be avoided by offering better nursing care, such as employing a system of turning patients at least once a day.
Short-term Care Quality
Among the reasons we graded this facility so well is that it received a favorable short-term care grade. Indeed, short-term care ended up being its second highest category grade. In that category, we gave this nursing home a score of A. In computing our short-term care grades, we assess a nursing home's levels of highly skilled nursing services, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists speech therapists and other licensed professionals. This rating is frequently a solid assessment of a nursing home's rehabilitation. Fortunately, it looks like this facility employs registered nurses. Not every facility employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, based on the data this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The last metric we considered in this area is the number of patients who were able to leave the facility and return to the community. We discovered that 5.7 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home.
Does this page answer your questions about Brackenville Center?
In addition, this facility also excelled in the area of inspections, where it received a grade of B+. Few facilities performed better in this area. These inspection ratings take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies and substantiated complaints. You can learn more about each of these factors by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. Although this place had a few deficiencies on its government inspection report, none of them were serious based on CMS' deficiency scale. Keep in mind that deficiency-free inspection reports are rare in the industry.
Long-term Care Quality
The last category we assessed was long-term care. We awarded this nursing home a solid grade in that area, with a grade of C. Even though this is not as high as several of this nursing home's other grades, it is still not a poor grade. Long-term care grades are based on the nursing home's quantity of nursing care. This includes a broad scope of personal care services, ranging from assistance with activities of daily living to routine healthcare services. In addition to assessing the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home provided the vaccine to 99.34853 percent of its patients, which is more than the vast majority of nursing homes. This facility keeps its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Brackenville Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Brackenville Center, 5.88% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of patients that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin due to remaining in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Brackenville Center, 3.19% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of residents that have had a fall leading to serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Brackenville Center, 2.01% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of residents who suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections could be associated with poorer hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Brackenville Center, 10.65% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents who were prescribed antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications may be vital to many patients, it is important to make sure these drugs are being used only where medically required. In limited situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean that a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Brackenville Center, 18.41% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic is an indication of the percent of long-term residents taking antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Brackenville Center, 4.11% of Patients
This is the percent of residents showing symptoms of depression. Higher levels of depression may be an indicator lower quality care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Brackenville Center, 92.35% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term patients that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Brackenville Center, 13.82% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Brackenville Center, 17.81% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term care patients that were able to retain mobility. Some would argue that the ability to move around is critical to residents' mental and physical health.
In Brackenville Center, 1.69 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Brackenville Center, 17.81 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care. There is generally a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Brackenville Center, 13.58 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Brackenville Center, 77.07% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of short-term stay residents who experienced functional improvements.
- Rockford CenterPsychiatric 5.48 miles away100 Rockford Drive Newark Delaware 19713Proprietary(302) 996-5480
- Christiana Care Health Services, Inc.Acute Care Hospitals 5.6 miles away4755 Ogletown-Stanton Road Newark Delaware 19718Voluntary non-profit - Private(302) 733-1000
- Alfred I Dupont Hospital for ChildrenChildrens 7.92 miles away1600 Rockland Rd PO Box 269 Wilmington Delaware 19899Voluntary non-profit - Private(302) 651-4000
- Jennersville HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.35 miles away1015 West Baltimore Pike West Grove Pennsylvania 19390Voluntary non-profit - Other(610) 869-1000
- Chester County HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.36 miles away701 East Marshall Street West Chester Pennsylvania 19380Voluntary non-profit - Private(610) 431-5000
- Brandywine HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 17.41 miles away201 Reeceville Road Coatesville Pennsylvania 19320Proprietary(610) 383-8000
- Riddle Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 17.85 miles away1068 West Baltimore Pike Media Pennsylvania 19063Voluntary non-profit - Private(610) 566-9400
- Salem Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 18.04 miles away310 Woodstown Road Salem New Jersey 08079Voluntary non-profit - Private(856) 935-1000
- American Universal - Hockessin0.6 miles away5936 Limestone Road, Suite 101 Hockessin Delaware 19707Dialysis Stations: 11 (302) 239-4106
- Fresenius Medical Care Northern Delaware, LLC.1.48 miles awayLantana Square Shopping Center 214 Lantana Drive Hockessin Delaware 19707Dialysis Stations: 9 (302) 239-4704
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Brandywine Home Therapies5.34 miles away4923 Ogletown-Stanton Road, Suite 210 Newark Delaware 19713Dialysis Stations: 3 (302) 998-7568
- Wilmington Veterans Administration Medical Center5.42 miles away1601 Kirkwood Highway Wilmington Delaware 19805Dialysis Stations: 5 (302) 994-2511
- Christiana Care Health System5.46 miles awayHemodialysis Unit, Christiana Hospital 4755 Ogletown-Stanton Road, p.o. Box 6001 Newark Delaware 19718Dialysis Stations: 21 (302) 733-1020
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Newport Pike5.88 miles away605 W. Newport Pike Wilmington Delaware 19804Dialysis Stations: 16 (302) 633-6228
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Wilmington6.05 miles awaySt. Francis Medical Office Building, Suite 404 7th and Clayton Street Wilmington Delaware 19805Dialysis Stations: 17 (302) 421-9177
- Bio-Medical Applications of Delaware, Inc.6.41 miles away230 E. Main Street, Unit 325 Newark Delaware 19711Dialysis Stations: 12 (302) 366-0129