Bixby Knolls Healthcare Center is a nursing home located in Long Beach, California which has a population of 471,952 people. We awarded this nursing home an overall rating of B which is a strong overall score. It outscored the average nursing home in Long Beach by a sizable margin. Even in a city with 26 other nursing homes, this nursing home should be a perfectly acceptable choice. We were also pleased to find that this nursing home didn't have any weak links in any of the major categories discussed below. More information about its category grades can be found below.
Bixby Knolls Healthcare Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- No Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Dialysis Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Catheter Care
Registered Staff Hours
On top of being a quality nursing home overall, this nursing home really excelled in the area of nursing, where it received a grade of A+. Nursing scores are based in large part on nurse staffing levels. This facility provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This facility performed very well when it comes to minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Short-term Care Quality
Another one of this nursing home's quality category scores came in the category of short-term care. We gave them one of our more positive grades in that area, with a score of B+. Short-term care grades are commonly employed to grade a nursing home's performance with rehabilitation. In order to offer highly scored rehabilitation services, facilities generally must have higher levels of highly skilled nursing services. These types of services include registered nurses, physical therapists, respiratory therapists and other highly skilled individuals. We weren't able to locate registered nurse or physical therapy staffing data for this facility. Lastly, we considered the number of residents who who were able to eventually return home from this facility. We found that 0 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Bixby Knolls Healthcare Center?
Another strong feature for this facility is that it excelled in the area of inspections, with a grade of B in that category. It outperformed most nursing homes in this area. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in computing these inspection ratings. One key factor is health deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of deficiencies is usually more important than the quantity of deficiencies, as some end up being relatively minor. Fortunately, although this facility had some minor dings on its report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are found in categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This means that CMS didn't consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. We should point out that deficiency-free inspection reports are uncommon in the industry.
Long-term Care Quality
Moving on to our final area, this facility was awarded an acceptable long-term care grade of C. In the area of long-term care, we analyze the amount of care provided by a nursing home, rather than more healthcare-oriented services. On top of considering the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we analyzed the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. Fortunately, this facility provided the vaccine to 100 percent of its patients, which is an above average percentage. This place keeps its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Bixby Knolls Healthcare Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Bixby Knolls Healthcare Center, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of patients who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a measure of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, also known as bed sores, are often caused by residents not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Bixby Knolls Healthcare Center, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of patients that have had a major fall. Falls resulting in severe injuries are routinely caused by lower levels of patient supervision. More supervision can limit the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Bixby Knolls Healthcare Center, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of patients that sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's are routinely caused by facilities with lower levels of hygiene. Additional nurse staffing can reduce the number likelihood of residents sustaining infections. Keep in mind that this statistic is sometimes skewed by the fact that facilities have different reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Bixby Knolls Healthcare Center, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic medications. These medications are sometimes used for a variety of medical conditions, including Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Bixby Knolls Healthcare Center, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term care patients taking antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Bixby Knolls Healthcare Center, 4.64% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents who are showing signs of depression. Increased levels of depression may indicate worse patient care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Bixby Knolls Healthcare Center, 95.44% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents that were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Bixby Knolls Healthcare Center, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as taking medications and using the bathroom. Some argue that this is a reliable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Bixby Knolls Healthcare Center, 12.45% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percentage of patients who were able to retain mobility over time. Retaining mobility can be a good sign for residents' health.
In Bixby Knolls Healthcare Center, 1.61 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Bixby Knolls Healthcare Center, 12.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric tracks the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Bixby Knolls Healthcare Center, 79.79% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percentage of short-term stay patients that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Higher levels of independence with ADL's typically correlates with higher quality rehabilitation.
Scores for Long Beach, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Long Beach, California has 25 other nursing homes
- College Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.38 miles away2776 Pacific Avenue Long Beach California 90806Proprietary(562) 595-1911
- Lakewood Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.11 miles away3700 E South St Lakewood California 90712Proprietary(562) 602-6751
- St Mary Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.19 miles away1050 Linden Ave Long Beach California 90813Voluntary non-profit - Church(562) 491-9000
- Lac/Harbor-Ucla Med CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.31 miles away1000 W Carson St Torrance California 90502Government - Local(310) 222-2101
- Los Alamitos Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.97 miles away3751 Katella Avenue Los Alamitos California 90720Proprietary(562) 799-3220
- Coast Plaza HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.65 miles away13100 Studerbaker Road Norwalk California 90650Proprietary(310) 356-0550
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.67 miles away1680 East 120th Street Los Angeles California 90059Voluntary non-profit - Private(424) 835-6808
- Pih Hospital - DowneyAcute Care Hospitals 8.1 miles away11500 Brookshire Avenue Downey California 90241Voluntary non-profit - Private(526) 904-5000
- Davita-Bixby Knolls Dialysis0.76 miles away3744 Long Beach Blvd. Long Beach California 90807CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (562) 424-1403
- Davita-United Dialysis Center0.76 miles away3111 Long Beach Blvd. Long Beach California 90807CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (562) 426-5155
- Long Beach Quest Dialysis Center0.87 miles away3140 Long Beach Blvd. Long Beach California 90807CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (562) 988-8866
- Davita Mayfair Dialysis2.09 miles away4930 Paramount Blvd Lakewood California 90712Dialysis Stations: 36 (424) 296-6870
- Davita-El Dorado Dialysis2.24 miles away2977 Redondo Avenue Long Beach California 90806CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (562) 988-3418
- Davita-Lakewood Dialysis Center2.42 miles away4611 Silva Street Lakewood California 90712CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (562) 633-7441
- Davita-Long Beach Harbor (Ucla) Dialysis Center2.54 miles away1075 E. Pacific Coast Highway Long Beach California 90806CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (562) 599-1511
- u.s. Renal Care West Coast Dialysis2.61 miles away3780 Kilroy Airport Way, Suite 110 Long Beach California 90806CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (562) 989-3010