Bezalel Rehabilitation and Nursing Center is located in Far Rockaway, New York. This city has 71,951 people. We gave this nursing home a C overall, which isn't a bad grade. This is comparable with the city grade in Far Rockaway, which is a B-. This nursing home seems to have some things working in its favor. One of the major highlights of this nursing home's report card is its exemplary inspection reports, which you can find in the next paragraph.
Bezalel Rehabilitation and Nursing Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
29 38 Far Rockaway Blvd,
Far Rockaway NY 11691
95.83% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Medication Management
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
While this nursing home's overall grade was decent, it really fared well in the area of inspections. In fact, we awarded it a grade of A for that category, which is one of our highest scores. Arguably the most significant factor we look at in computing our inspection scores is deficiencies. Deficiencies can be found on a nursing home's inspection reports. Nursing homes with better scores in this area typically avoided the most severe deficiencies involving health risks or even death. This facility was hit with 2 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none of the deficiencies were considered to be severe deficiencies. This indicates that the government inspectors didn't deem any of these deficiencies to be an immediate threat to patient safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is always a good sign.
Long-term Care Quality
Additionally, we awarded this facility a grade of B in our long-term care category. This is one of our more favorable grades. Nursing homes that excel in long-term care typically provide residents with closer supervision and stay on top of routine healthcare services. On top of looking at the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home gave the vaccine to 99.51574 percent of its patients, which is better than the average nursing home. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Bezalel Rehabilitation and Nursing Center?
Next we wanted to quickly point out one of this facility's major weaknesses. In the area of nursing care, we gave this nursing home a lowly grade of F. In computing our nursing ratings, we factor in both the number of hours nurses spend with residents and the skill levels of those nurses. This nursing home provided a meager 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident each day. This figure is well below the national average. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in calculating our nursing ratings. This nursing home performed well when it comes to minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these datapoints to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Short-term Care Quality
The last category we analyzed is short-term care, which is this nursing home's least impressive category. It received an abysmal F in this category, which is certainly a major disappointment. Short-term care grades are meaningful for residents needing rehabilitation. Rehabilitation typically utilizes higher levels of highly-skilled nursing services. This includes a broad range of nursing services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, as well as other variations of therapy. Not surprisingly, we found that this nursing home provides far less physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than the average facility. The last item we assessed in this area is the percentage of patients who ultimately were able to return home from the nursing home. This facility struggled quite a bit in this metric as well, with just 3.9 percent of its residents returning home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Bezalel Rehabilitation and Nursing Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Bezalel Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 9.58% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of residents who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are routinely the result of residents staying in one position for too long. Better nursing protocols limits the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Bezalel Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 3.04% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure gauges the percent of long-term stay residents which had falls resulting in serious injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but excessive numbers of falls could be an indication of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Bezalel Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 2.1% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients who experienced a UTI. UTI's may be an indicator of a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. However, this datapoint can also be misleading for some nursing homes due to different reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Bezalel Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 11.59% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents receiving antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications serve an important medical purpose, it is important to confirm these drugs are being used appropriately. In some situations, increased usage of these drugs may indicate a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Bezalel Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 13.3% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of residents given antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety drugs are administered to patients suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Bezalel Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 13.2% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term care residents demonstrating symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Bezalel Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 91.26% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Bezalel Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 14.75% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with ADL's may indicate the decline of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Bezalel Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 17.32% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percent of residents who were able to retain mobility over time. Retaining mobility is often a good sign for residents' health.
In Bezalel Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 1.31 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Bezalel Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 17.32 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Bezalel Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 8.8 Percentage of Patients
Measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Avoiding emergency medical situations is one way to gauge short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Bezalel Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 75.07% Percentage of Resident
This is the percent of short-term stay residents that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
Scores for Far Rockaway, NY
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of D
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-plus
Looking for more options? Far Rockaway, New York has 10 other nursing homes
- St John's Episcopal Hospital at South ShoreAcute Care Hospitals 0.69 miles away327 Beach 19th Street Far Rockaway New York 11691Voluntary non-profit - Church(718) 869-7000
- Jamaica Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.65 miles away89th Avenue and Van Wyck Expressway Richmond Hill New York 11418Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 262-6000
- Queens Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.51 miles away82-68 164th Street Jamaica New York 11432Government - Local(718) 883-3000
- Brookdale Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.52 miles away1 Brookdale Plaza Brooklyn New York 11212Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 240-5966
- Mercy Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.43 miles away1000 North Village Avenue Rockville Centre New York 11570Voluntary non-profit - Private(516) 705-2525
- New York Community Hospital of Brooklyn, Inc.Acute Care Hospitals 9.51 miles away2525 Kings Highway Brooklyn New York 11229Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 692-5302
- Kingsbrook Jewish Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.64 miles away585 Schenectady Avenue Brooklyn New York 11203Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 604-5789
- Kings County Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.02 miles away451 Clarkson Avenue Brooklyn New York 11203Government - Local(718) 245-3901
- Marjorie Basser Dialysis Center0.65 miles awaySt. John's Episcopal Hospital 327 Beach 19th Street, Dialysis Unit Far Rockaway New York 11691Dialysis Stations: 15 (718) 869-7637
- Rockaway Hd LLC0.65 miles away529 Beach 20th Street Far Rockaway New York 11691Dialysis Stations: 16 (718) 327-4503
- Peninsula Continuum Services LLC1.1 miles away50-15 Beach Channel Drive Far Rockaway New York 11691Dialysis Stations: 20 (718) 734-2190
- Woodmere Dialysis LLC3.9 miles awayFive Towns Premier Nursing and Rehabilitation 1050 Central Avenue Woodmere New York 11598Dialysis Stations: 14 (516) 791-5277
- Springfield Dialysis Center4.24 miles away134-35 Springfield Boulevard Springfield Gardens New York 11413CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (718) 978-1233
- West Nassau Dialysis Ctr, Inc5.69 miles away75 Rockaway Avenue Valley Stream New York 11580CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (516) 823-4444
- Davita Lynbrook Dialysis Center5.91 miles away147 Scranton Avenue Lynbrook New York 11563CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (516) 596-4101
- Fms-St. Alban's Dialysis Center5.93 miles away172-70 Baisley Blvd Jamaica New York 11434CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (718) 949-1600