Bethesda Meadow is a senior living facility located in Ballwin, Missouri, which has a total of 92,608 people. It looks like this is a very respectable nursing home. We awarded it an overall grade of B, which is a very solid grade. This grade is right in line with the city grade in Ballwin. The best aspect of this nursing home's impressive report card is its nursing score. We discuss nursing in the next paragraph
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Nursing Home
- Home Health Agency
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Ballwin senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to being a quality nursing home overall, this facility really excelled in the area of nursing, where it received an A-. Our nursing grade is mostly associated with the nursing home's nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality measures and this nursing home excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any facility the state in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can many times be prevented by offering better nursing care, such as employing a system of moving a resident more often.
This facility also excelled in the area of inspections. We awarded it an B+ for that category, which is one of our highest scores. This is one of the few facilities with an overall score in this range which earned multiple category grades this high. These inspection ratings weigh several factors, including deficiencies, substantiated complaints and federal fines. You can find more information about each of these issues by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. While this facility had some minor dings on its government inspection report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones labeled as categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This means that the government inspectors didn't consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. We should note that deficiency-free inspections are uncommon in the industry.
Does this page answer your questions about Bethesda Meadow?
Long-term Care Quality
Turning to our third category, this facility also earned a grade of B for its long-term care rating. This is a well above average grade in this category. If you are looking for services other than rehabilitation, you should take a close look at each nursing home's long-term care grades. After we finished assessing the quantity of nursing care, we turned to the nursing home's vaccination statistics. This nursing home vaccinated 67.32187 percent of its residents against pneumonia. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Short-term Care Quality
The next category we assessed was short-term care. This nursing home was awarded a grade of B- for this category. Our short-term care scores are thought to be most critical for people requiring rehabilitation from their nursing home. Rehabilitation usually utilizes higher levels of highly-skilled nursing. Skilled nursing includes not just nursing, but also physical and occupational therapy, as well as other types of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not all nursing homes employs these skilled professionals. However, based on the information they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The last datapoint we looked at in this category is the number of residents who were able to leave the nursing home and return to the community. We discovered that just 5.3 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home, which is actually below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Bethesda Meadow Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Bethesda Meadow, 1.56% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of residents who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a barometer of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, also known as bed sores, are often caused by patients not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Bethesda Meadow, 1.97% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of residents that have had a major fall. Falls leading to severe injuries are often associated with lower levels of patient supervision. Closer supervision can minimize the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Bethesda Meadow, 0.25% of Patients had UTIs
This figure is an indication of the percent of long-term residents who have suffered from urinary tract infections. UTI's may be an indicator of worse hygiene protocols. However, this statistic can be misleading for some facilities due to different reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Bethesda Meadow, 14.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of long-term stay residents taking antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs serve an important medical purpose, it is important to make sure these drugs are being used appropriately. In limited situations, excessive reliance on these medications may indicate a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Bethesda Meadow, 23.75% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of patients who were given antianxiety medications. These medications are commonly given to residents suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Bethesda Meadow, 1.3% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term care patients showing depressive symptoms. Many in the industry would argue that this is a reliable measure of resident quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Bethesda Meadow, 76.18% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Bethesda Meadow, 10.65% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as moving around and using the bathroom. Many in the industry argue this is a reasonable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Bethesda Meadow, 11.81% of Residents
This tells you the percentage of residents that maintained mobility over time. Retaining mobility can be a great sign for residents' health.
In Bethesda Meadow, 0.01 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. There is generally a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Bethesda Meadow, 11.81% of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Bethesda Meadow, 8.05% of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care. There is typically a correlation between fewer emergency room visits and the overall quality of rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Bethesda Meadow, 80.05% of Resident
This indicates the percentage of short-term patients that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
- St Lukes HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.89 miles away232 S Woods Mill Rd Chesterfield Missouri 63017Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 434-1500
- Ssm Health St Clare Hospital - FentonAcute Care Hospitals 7.54 miles away1015 Bowles Fenton Missouri 63026Voluntary non-profit - Private(636) 496-2000
- St Luke's Des Peres HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.84 miles away2345 Dougherty Ferry Road Saint Louis Missouri 63122Proprietary(314) 966-9100
- Missouri Baptist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.01 miles away3015 N Ballas Rd Saint Louis Missouri 63131Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 996-5000
- Barnes-Jewish West County HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.59 miles away12634 Olive Boulevard Saint Louis Missouri 63141Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 996-8000
- Progress West HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.62 miles away2 Progress Point Pkwy O Fallon Missouri 63368Voluntary non-profit - Private(636) 344-1000
- Mercy Hospital SouthAcute Care Hospitals 12.77 miles away10010 Kennerly Road Saint Louis Missouri 63128Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 525-1000
- Ssm Health Depaul Hospital St LouisAcute Care Hospitals 14.53 miles away12303 Depaul Drive Bridgeton Missouri 63044Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 344-6000
- Ellisville Dialysis Center1.3 miles away257 Clarkson Road Ballwin Missouri 63011CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (636) 207-7401
- Eureka Dialysis Center6.34 miles away419 Meramec Blvd Eureka Missouri 63025Dialysis Stations: 12 (636) 587-2063
- Fenton Dialysis Center7.64 miles away850 Horan Dr. Fenton Missouri 63026Dialysis Stations: 18 (636) 305-1144
- Bowles Avenue Dialysis7.69 miles away1011 Bowles Avenue Suite 210 Fenton Missouri 63026Dialysis Stations: 14 (636) 326-7130
- Town and Country West Dialysis7.8 miles away12855 N 40 Drive Suite l4 Saint Louis Missouri 63141Dialysis Stations: 12 (314) 542-0049
- Nxstage St Louis, LLC7.81 miles away1076 Old Des Peres Road Saint Louis Missouri 63131Dialysis Stations: 9 (314) 925-2522
- Creve Coeur Dialysis Center9.24 miles away1009 Executive Pkwy #100 Saint Louis Missouri 63141CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 40 (314) 434-4770
- Fmc - Creve Coeur10.04 miles away555 N New Ballas #170 Saint Louis Missouri 63141CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (314) 872-9272