Beth Sholom is a senior living facility located in Henrico, Virginia, a city with a population of 182,585 people. Featuring an overall rating of D, this is a lower end facility. If you are not happy with this facility's pedestrian overall grade, you will be pleased to know there are eight other nursing homes in Henrico. If you aren't deterred by this facility's profile, feel free to continue reading to find out about its category grades. Inspection grades are discussed in the next paragraph.
- Nursing Home
- Home Health Agency
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
While this nursing home's overall score was not a highlight, it actually received a very good score in the category of inspections. We awarded it a B+ for that category, which is one of our better scores. Our inspection ratings weigh several factors found on a facility's inspection report. One of the most important criteria we weigh heavily is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. You generally want to avoid places with too many severe deficiencies flagged. While this place had a few deficiencies on its government inspection report, none were major deficiencies based on CMS' deficiency scale. A few minor deficiencies are not necessarily the end of the world.
Short-term Care Quality
Another one of this facility's higher category scores came in the category of short-term care. In that category, we awarded this nursing home a grade of B. In our short-term care grade, we attempt to craft a valuable gauge for rehabilitation services. In this process, we analyze the nursing home's offerings of highly-skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as occupational therapy. Unfortunately, we were not able to locate information about this nursing home's registered nurse or physical therapy staffing. The last metric we considered in this category is the number of patients who ultimately were able to return home from the nursing home. We found that 6.4 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home as opposed to remaining at the facility on a permanent basis.
Does this page answer your questions about Beth Sholom?
Long-term Care Quality
Another unfortunate development was the F this nursing home received in the category of long-term care. Facilities that do not score well in this category often don't provide as much nursing care and also may be struggling in some of the areas of routine personal care we assessed. After considering the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we next considered the facility's vaccination statistics. Unfortunately, this facility vaccinated a relatively low 81.1245 percent of its residents for pneumonia. Surprisingly, this place actually fared well at keeping its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days. This is its best feature in this category.
The final area we looked at is nursing. This facility received a rock bottom grade of F in this category. Our nursing rating considers a variety of factors. The most important variable is the number of hours nurses spend with residents. With just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident each day, this facility's nurse staffing levels were significantly below the national average. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in computing our nursing grades. This place performed well when it comes to avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. Many consider these areas to be measures of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Beth Sholom Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Beth Sholom, 8.8% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of long-term care patients who suffered from pressure ulcers. We have found that pressure ulcers are a reliable barometer of a facility's nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Beth Sholom, 3.62% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric measures the percent of long-term residents which have had a fall which caused serious injury. This is one of the statistics we use in determining our nursing scores.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Beth Sholom, 2.59% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of residents who suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's are routinely associated with facilities with lower levels of hygiene. Additional nurse staffing can minimize the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. We want to point out that this metric is sometimes skewed by the fact that nursing homes have incongruent reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Beth Sholom, 13.53% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of long-term residents who were prescribed antipsychotic medication. Excessive reliance on these medications may suggest a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents in situations where such medications aren't medically required. However, some facilities may need to rely more on these drugs due to an increased number of residents suffering from dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Beth Sholom, 20.46% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of patients who were given antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety drugs are administered to patients suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Beth Sholom, 3.59% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients exhibiting signs of depression. High levels of depression could indicate worse patient care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Beth Sholom, 91.36% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients that were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Beth Sholom, 16.53% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living may indicate deterioration of a patient's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Beth Sholom, 23.38% Percentage of Residents
Measures the percentage of long-term stay residents who were able to retain mobility.
In Beth Sholom, 1.23 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. Minimizing hospitalizations is key to preserving the physical health of patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Beth Sholom, 23.38 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term resident care. Minimizing rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is key to restoring the physical abilities of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Beth Sholom, 11.33 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Avoiding emergency medical situations is one way to measure patient well-being during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Beth Sholom, 75.1% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term stay patients who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. High levels of autonomy with activities of daily living often correlates with higher quality rehabilitation services.
Scores for Henrico, VA
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of D
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Henrico, Virginia has 8 other nursing homes
- Henrico Doctors' HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.18 miles away1602 Skipwith Road Henrico Virginia 23229Voluntary non-profit - Other(804) 289-4500
- Bon Secours St Marys HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.74 miles away5801 Bremo Rd Richmond Virginia 23226Voluntary non-profit - Church(804) 285-2011
- Cjw Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.81 miles away7101 Jahnke Road Richmond Virginia 23235Proprietary(804) 320-3911
- Bon Secours St Francis Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.28 miles away13710 St Francis Boulevard Midlothian Virginia 23114Voluntary non-profit - Church(804) 594-7400
- Bon Secours Richmond Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.19 miles away1500 N. 28th Street Richmond Virginia 23223Voluntary non-profit - Private(804) 225-1700
- Bon Secours Memorial Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 13.38 miles away8260 Atlee Road Mechanicsville Virginia 23116Voluntary non-profit - Church(804) 764-6000
- Three Chopt Dialysis4.03 miles away8813 Three Chopt Rd Henrico Virginia 23229Dialysis Stations: 16 (804) 282-6791
- Forest Park Dialysis Center4.67 miles away1603 Santa Rosa Rd Ste 100 Henrico Virginia 23229Dialysis Stations: 16 (804) 288-2751
- Bma - West End4.68 miles away1501 Santa Rosa Rd Henrico Virginia 23229CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 35 (804) 288-5053
- Glenside Dialysis6.19 miles away7001 West Broad Street Suite C Henrico Virginia 23294Dialysis Stations: 21 (804) 755-2368
- Fresenius Kidney Care Laurel Park6.93 miles away4008 East Parham Road Henrico Virginia 23228Dialysis Stations: 13 (804) 553-7880
- Westhampton Dialysis Center LLC7.08 miles away5320 Patterson Avenue Richmond Virginia 23226Dialysis Stations: 17 (804) 285-3394
- Davita Midlothian7.7 miles away14281 Midlothian Trnpk Midlothian Virginia 23113CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (804) 594-3520
- James River Home Dialysis7.72 miles away13859 Village Place Drive Midlothian Virginia 23114Dialysis Stations: 1 (804) 378-2170