Beth Sholom is a senior living facility located in Henrico, Virginia, a city with a population of 182,585 people. Featuring an overall rating of B, this facility is a great choice. This facility truly has plenty of good features. We were also pleased to find that this nursing home did not have any weak links in any of the four major categories. More information about these categories is available below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Nursing Home
- Home Health Agency
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Nov 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Henrico senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
In addition to faring well in its overall grade, this nursing home received even higher grades in the area of short-term care. It received one of our best scores in that area with A-. In calculating these short-term care grades, we analyze the facility's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses, speech therapists, physical therapists and other types of skilled professionals. Our goal is to devise a scale for comparing the rehabilitation services of various facilities. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not every nursing home employs these skilled professionals. However, according to the data they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The final datapoint we looked at in this area is the percentage of patients who were able to leave the nursing home and return home. We found that 6.4 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
Adding to its impressive profile, this nursing home also performed well in the category of inspections. In fact, it earned a nearly flawless government inspection report this year. As a result, it received one of our highest grades in that area with an B+. Inspection scores take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies and federal fines. You can find more information about each of these issues by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This facility was hit with 5 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none were considered to be severe. This tells you that CMS did not consider any of these deficiencies to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. A few relatively minor dings are not the end of the world.
Does this page answer your questions about Beth Sholom?
Another strong feature for this facility is that it received an impressive nursing grade. In that area, we awarded this facility a grade of B. When calculating a facility's nursing rating, we look at the amount of time nurses are seeing residents and the level of skill of the nurses. This facility provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This place performed very well in terms of minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Long-term Care Quality
The final area we looked at is long-term care. We awarded it a grade of C in that category. This is not a bad grade in this area. In a long-term care environment, the facility's primary goal is to maintain residents' quality of life and keep them safe. One of the factors we considered on top of nurse's aid hours is vaccinations. Frankly, we were a bit alarmed this nursing home administered the pneumonia vaccine to just 78.731346 percent of its patients. Nevertheless, this facility excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Beth Sholom Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Beth Sholom, 6.8% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure is an indication of the percent of long-term stay patients who suffer from pressure ulcers or bed sores. We bake this statistic into our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Beth Sholom, 4.85% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of patients that have had a major fall. Falls leading to major injury are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a barometer of nursing care . Major falls resulting in injury are often caused by lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Beth Sholom, 2.43% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint gauges the percentage of long-term stay patients who have sustained UTI's. UTI's could be an indicator of worse hygiene protocols. However, this datapoint may also be misleading for some facilities due to different reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Beth Sholom, 17.19% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents receiving antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs serve an important medical purpose, it is important to confirm these medications are being used appropriately. In limited situations, increased usage of these drugs may mean that a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Beth Sholom, 8.11% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents prescribed antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety medications are given to residents suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Beth Sholom, 5.73% of Patients
This is the percent of residents who are demonstrating symptoms of depression. High rates of depression could imply lower quality care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Beth Sholom, 80.74% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients who received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Beth Sholom, 18.5% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Beth Sholom, 23.02% of Residents
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term stay patients who maintained mobility. Many believe that mobility is vital to residents' physical and mental health.
In Beth Sholom, 0.01 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Beth Sholom, 23.02% of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Beth Sholom, 13.03% of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Beth Sholom, 73.15% of Resident
This indicates the percentage of short-term patients that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
Scores for Henrico, VA
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-minus
Looking for more options? Henrico, Virginia has 8 other nursing homes
- Henrico Doctors' HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.18 miles away1602 Skipwith Road Henrico Virginia 23229Voluntary non-profit - Other(804) 289-4500
- Bon Secours St Marys HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.74 miles away5801 Bremo Rd Richmond Virginia 23226Voluntary non-profit - Church(804) 285-2011
- Cjw Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.81 miles away7101 Jahnke Road Richmond Virginia 23235Proprietary(804) 320-3911
- Bon Secours St Francis Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.28 miles away13710 St Francis Boulevard Midlothian Virginia 23114Voluntary non-profit - Church(804) 594-7400
- Bon Secours Richmond Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.19 miles away1500 N. 28th Street Richmond Virginia 23223Voluntary non-profit - Private(804) 225-1700
- Bon Secours Memorial Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 13.38 miles away8260 Atlee Road Mechanicsville Virginia 23116Voluntary non-profit - Church(804) 764-6000
- Three Chopt Dialysis4.03 miles away8813 Three Chopt Rd Henrico Virginia 23229Dialysis Stations: 16 (804) 282-6791
- Forest Park Dialysis Center4.67 miles away1603 Santa Rosa Rd Ste 100 Henrico Virginia 23229Dialysis Stations: 16 (804) 288-2751
- Bma - West End4.68 miles away1501 Santa Rosa Rd Henrico Virginia 23229CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 35 (804) 288-5053
- Glenside Dialysis6.19 miles away7001 West Broad Street Suite C Henrico Virginia 23294Dialysis Stations: 21 (804) 755-2368
- Fresenius Kidney Care Laurel Park6.93 miles away4008 East Parham Road Henrico Virginia 23228Dialysis Stations: 13 (804) 553-7880
- Westhampton Dialysis Center LLC7.08 miles away5320 Patterson Avenue Richmond Virginia 23226Dialysis Stations: 17 (804) 285-3394
- Davita Midlothian7.7 miles away14281 Midlothian Trnpk Midlothian Virginia 23113CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (804) 594-3520
- James River Home Dialysis7.72 miles away13859 Village Place Drive Midlothian Virginia 23114Dialysis Stations: 1 (804) 378-2170