With an address in Santa Monica, California, Berkley East HealthCare Center is one of a mere three available facilities in this area. Featuring an overall score of C, this is likely a solid facility. This grade is right in line with the city grade in Santa Monica, which is admittedly a bit below average nationally. One of the highlights of this nursing home's report card is its strong short-term care rating, which is addressed in the next paragraph.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Berkley East HealthCare Center
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Santa Monica senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- No Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Dialysis Transportation
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Pain Management
- Colostomy Care
- Catheter Care
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
We gave this facility an A for our short-term care grade. This is far more impressive than its overall grade. In determining our short-term care ratings, we look at the nursing home's levels of skilled nursing, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists speech therapists and other highly skilled individuals. This score is typically a useful measure of a nursing home's ability to rehabilitate patients. Fortunately, it looks like this facility employs registered nurses. Not all facilities employs these skilled professionals. However, based on the information this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Lastly, we looked at the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 7.1 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
One of the other reasons we graded this facility so highly is that it received a very impressive nursing rating. In that area, we awarded this facility a grade of A-. When computing our nursing grades, we analyze both the number of hours nurses spend with residents and the skill levels of those nurses. This nursing home provides 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This nursing home performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a facility has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can frequently be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Does this page answer your questions about Berkley East HealthCare Center?
Long-term Care Quality
Sadly, this nursing home's third highest category is long-term care. However, with a D in this area, it still fared relatively badly. If you are looking for anything other than short-term rehabilitation, you should take a close look at each nursing home's long-term care ratings. Once we looked at the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we turned to the facility's vaccination statistics. We were pleased to discover that this facility vaccinated 98.4127 percent of its residents against pneumonia. To our surprise, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. With just 0 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, this nursing home had fewer hospitalizations than the majority of nursing homes. Unfortunately, some of its other scores in this category were not as favorable as these.
Moving on the final category of inspections, this facility did not fare well. Sadly, it received an F in this category. This dragged this nursing home's overall grade down as we heavily weight this category. For nursing homes with bad inspection ratings, you should really focus on any severe deficiencies found on their inspection reports. This particular facility had 6 deficiencies by CMS. The only favorable thing we found is that none of these deficiencies were in the categories that suggest they caused a threat to resident health or safety. Lastly, we also want to draw your attention to the fact that this nursing home was assessed significant government fines recently of more than $50,000. This generally suggests that inspectors became frustrated after several years of failed health inspections.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Berkley East HealthCare Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Berkley East HealthCare Center, 22.64% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of patients who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also known as bed sores, are often the result of patients staying in one position for too long. Better nursing care can reduce the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Berkley East HealthCare Center, 0% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of patients that have had a major fall. Falls resulting in severe injury are considered to be a measure of the quality of nursing care . Falls leading to injury are routinely caused by lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Berkley East HealthCare Center, 4.76% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of patients who suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections could be associated with poor hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Berkley East HealthCare Center, 20.34% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric tells you the percentage of long-term stay patients taking antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to ensure these medications are being used appropriately. In some situations, increased usage of these drugs may indicate a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Berkley East HealthCare Center, 1.69% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic tells you the percentage of long-term care patients receiving antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Berkley East HealthCare Center, 1.85% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients exhibiting depressive symptoms. Increased rates of depression may imply worse patient care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Berkley East HealthCare Center, 99.21% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Berkley East HealthCare Center, 23.4% of Patients
This is the percent of patients that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with ADL's could be a sign of erosion of a patient's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Berkley East HealthCare Center, 21.51% of Residents
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term care residents who maintained mobility.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Berkley East HealthCare Center, 21.51% of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is generally a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Berkley East HealthCare Center, 10.24% of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Berkley East HealthCare Center, 79.51% of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term care patients that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
- Providence Saint John's Health CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.16 miles away2121 Santa Monica Blvd Santa Monica California 90404Voluntary non-profit - Private(310) 829-5511
- Santa Monica - Ucla Med Ctr & Orthopaedic HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.36 miles away1250 16th Street Santa Monica California 90404Voluntary non-profit - Private(310) 319-4000
- Ronald Reagan U C L a Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.04 miles away757 Westwood Plaza Los Angeles California 90095Government - State(310) 825-6301
- Resnick Neuropsychiatric Hospital at UclaPsychiatric 3.09 miles away150 Medical Plaza-Rm-4230c Los Angeles California 90095Government - State(310) 825-6962
- Cedars-Sinai Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.49 miles away8700 Beverly Blvd Los Angeles California 90048Voluntary non-profit - Other(310) 423-5000
- Sherman Oaks HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.08 miles away4929 Van Nuys Blvd Sherman Oaks California 91403Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 981-7111
- Southern California Hospital at HollywoodAcute Care Hospitals 9.89 miles away6245 De Longpre Ave Los Angeles California 90028Proprietary(323) 462-2271
- Providence Tarzana Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.13 miles away18321 Clark Street Tarzana California 91356Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 881-0800
- Davita-Santa Monica Dialysis0.45 miles away1260 15th Street, Suite 102 Santa Monica California 90404CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (310) 393-4744
- Davita-Mar Vista0.93 miles away2020 Santa Monica Blvd., Suite 100 & 120 Santa Monica California 90404CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (310) 453-4900
- Davita-Century City Dialysis Center3.09 miles away10630 Santa Monica Blvd. Los Angeles California 90025CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 40 (310) 954-2700
- Fmc-Culver City Dialysis3.83 miles away9432 Venice Blvd. Culver City California 90230CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (310) 836-2237
- Davita-Beverlywood Dialysis4.42 miles away2080 Century Park East, Suite 210 Los Angeles California 90067Dialysis Stations: 13 (310) 772-0224
- u.s. Renal Care Culver City4.85 miles away9808 Venice Blvd., Suite 200 Culver City California 90232Dialysis Stations: 18 (310) 841-0500
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital Medical Ctr.- West Los Angeles4.87 miles awayDialysis Unit 6041 Cadillac Avenue, Suite 442 Los Angeles California 90034Dialysis Stations: 4 (323) 857-3245
- u.s. Renal Care West Los Angeles Dialysis6.01 miles away1801 S. La Cienega Blvd. Los Angeles California 90035CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (310) 840-5688