Berkeley Pines Skilled Nursing Center is a facility located in Berkeley, California, a city with 118,592 people. This nursing home received an A- overall, which is one of the best grades that we offer. A score of this caliber requires superb scores across the board. We were so impressed with this nursing home that we ranked it in the top quarter of all nursing homes in the nation. This place's impressive report card was highlighted by its long-term care grade, which you can find in the next paragraph.
Berkeley Pines Skilled Nursing Center
Updated May 1, 2022 by Sara Levinsohn
2223 Ashby Avenue,
Berkeley CA 94705
95.27% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
In addition to receiving a great overall grade, this nursing home received an A+ in the area of long-term care. Long-term care scores in this range generally require both 24/7 care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine healthcare services. In addition to considering the volume of care provided by nurses and other staff, we looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home gave the vaccine to 95.3125 percent of its patients, which is higher than the majority of nursing homes. The last datapoint we looked at was the facility's hospitalization rate. Here we found that this place had 2.85 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days. While this wasn't as favorable as some of its other scores in this category, this statistic may be skewed for some facilities due to some of the medical complexity of residents.
This facility also received an A+ inspection score, making it one of the few nursing homes to receive multiple A+'s in our category grades. This grade is based on the place's inspections. An A+ in this area is one of the highest complements we can pay to a nursing home. Inspection grades are tied to datapoints located in the a nursing home's inspection reports. Nursing homes that excel in this area typically have few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these nursing homes generally do not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. This nursing home was assessed 2 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none of the deficiencies were considered to be major deficiencies. This tells you that the government inspectors did not deem any of the deficiencies to create an immediate threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Does this page answer your questions about Berkeley Pines Skilled Nursing Center?
Another one of this facility's impressive category grades came in the area of nursing care. We awarded them one of our better scores in that area, with a grade of B+. When computing our nursing grades, we analyze both nursing hours and the training levels of those nurses. This particular nursing home provided 3.6 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This nursing home performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a place has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can often be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Short-term Care Quality
The next category we rated ended up being this facility's worst category. Nevertheless, even in its weakest link we still gave it a respectable grade of B- for short-term care. Our short-term care ratings are vital for individuals requiring rehabilitation. Rehabilitation usually mandates higher levels of skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing includes a wide scope of services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, as well as other forms of therapy. We were pleased to find that this nursing home employs both registered nurses and physical therapists. The same can't be said for all nursing homes. The final item we considered in this area is the percentage of patients who were able to leave the nursing home and return home. We discovered that just 0 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home, which is below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Berkeley Pines Skilled Nursing Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Berkeley Pines Skilled Nursing Center, 7.63% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of residents that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also called bed sores, are often caused by residents staying in one position for too long. Better nursing protocols minimizes the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Berkeley Pines Skilled Nursing Center, 1.66% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic tells you the percent of long-term stay residents which have sustained a fall which caused serious injury. This is one of the statistics we use in calculating our nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Berkeley Pines Skilled Nursing Center, 1.19% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of patients who suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care . UTI's are routinely associated with a facility with lower levels of hygiene. Nevertheless, this metric can be skewed for certain nursing homes due to inconsistent reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Berkeley Pines Skilled Nursing Center, 9.98% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of patients who were given antipsychotic drugs. These medications are used for several conditions, including Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Berkeley Pines Skilled Nursing Center, 13.87% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of residents prescribed antianxiety drugs. These medications are typically given to residents experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Berkeley Pines Skilled Nursing Center, 4.32% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients who are demonstrating symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Berkeley Pines Skilled Nursing Center, 96.21% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Berkeley Pines Skilled Nursing Center, 8.35% Percentage of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term care residents that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as getting dressed and using the bathroom.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Berkeley Pines Skilled Nursing Center, 14.01% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percentage of residents that remained mobile levels over time. Preserving mobility is often a great sign for residents' health.
In Berkeley Pines Skilled Nursing Center, 1.49 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
Measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. Minimizing hospitalizations is key to the physical well-being of residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Berkeley Pines Skilled Nursing Center, 14.01 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Scores for Berkeley, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Berkeley, California has 4 other nursing homes
- Alta Bates Summit Medical Center - Alta Bates CampAcute Care Hospitals 0.29 miles away2450 Ashby Avenue Berkeley California 94705Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 204-4444
- Children's Hospital & Research Center OaklandChildrens 1.31 miles away747 52nd Street Oakland California 94609Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 428-3000
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - Oakland/RichmondAcute Care Hospitals 2.24 miles away275 West Macarthur Boulevard Oakland California 94611Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 752-1000
- Alta Bates Summit Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.43 miles away350 Hawthorne Avenue Oakland California 94609Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 655-4000
- Highland HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.32 miles away1411 East 31st Street Oakland California 94602Government - Hospital District or Authority(510) 437-4800
- Alameda HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.47 miles away2070 Clinton Avenue Alameda California 94501Government - Hospital District or Authority(510) 522-3700
- Chinese HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.9 miles away845 Jackson St San Francisco California 94133Voluntary non-profit - Private(415) 982-2400
- Saint Francis Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.47 miles away900 Hyde St San Francisco California 94109Voluntary non-profit - Private(415) 353-6000
- Berkeley Dialysis Center0.4 miles away2655 Shattuck Ave Berkeley California 94704CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 23 (510) 486-8706
- Oakland Dialysis Center1.1 miles away5354 Claremont Avenue Oakland California 94618CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 40 (510) 597-0104
- Rai Piedmont1.28 miles away2710 Telegraph Avenue Suite #100 Oakland California 94612CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 33 (510) 286-9948
- Us Renal Care Berkeley1.56 miles away2895 7th Street Berkeley California 94710Dialysis Stations: 24 (510) 843-0627
- Satellite Dialysis Oakland2.35 miles away3330 Telegraph Ave Oakland California 94609CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (510) 433-8340
- Wellbound of Emeryville2.57 miles away2000 Powell Street Suite 140 Emeryville California 94608Dialysis Stations: 4 (510) 985-9660
- Rai Peralta2.71 miles away2757 Telegraph Avenue Oakland California 94612CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (510) 835-0154
- El Cerrito Dialysis Center5.21 miles away10690 San Pablo Avenue El Cerrito California 94530CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (510) 528-9590