Berkeley Pines Skilled Nursing Center is one of just a couple facilities located in Berkeley, California. Featuring an overall score of B+, this is a strong facility. This facility definitely has plenty going for it. This facility's impressive report card was highlighted by its inspection score, which is addressed in the next paragraph.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Berkeley Pines Skilled Nursing Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Berkeley senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Colostomy Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
On top of being an elite nursing home overall, this facility excelled in our inspections category, where it received a grade of A+. Few nursing homes fared this well in this category. Our inspection ratings account for a host of factors found on a facility's inspection report. One key criteria we consider is the number and severity of deficiencies. Places with higher scores in this area typically have very few severe deficiencies. Although this nursing home had some deficiencies on its inspection report, none were severe based on CMS' deficiency scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home fared well in the category of long-term care. As a result, we awarded it a score of A for that category, which is one of our most favorable scores. For residents seeking a permanent residence rather than skilled nursing, long-term care is an important category. On top of looking at the quantity of care provided by aids and other staff, we also looked at the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home vaccinated 91.17647 percent of its patients. This is a few points less than we anticipated but still a reasonably acceptable percentage. Finally, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Berkeley Pines Skilled Nursing Center?
In addition, this facility also received favorable nursing grades this year. In fact, we awarded them one of our better scores in that area, with a grade of B. Our nursing rating is primarily tied to a nursing home's level of nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This nursing home performed very well in terms of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Short-term Care Quality
The next area we analyzed was short-term care, which proved to be a weak spot for this facility. We gave this nursing home a D for short-term care, making this the facility's least impressive area. We'd still suggest that you look at the bigger picture. In determining these short-term care scores, we assess the facility's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses, speech therapists, physical therapists and other types of therapists. Our goal is to devise a scale for comparing the rehabilitation services of different facilities. In this place's case, we found that it provided less physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than the typical facility. The final item we looked at in this area is the number of patients that returned home from the nursing home. This facility struggled quite a bit in this area as well, with just 0 percent of its residents returning home. This was quite a bit below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Berkeley Pines Skilled Nursing Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Berkeley Pines Skilled Nursing Center, 7.79% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of patients who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be an indicator of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, which are also referred to as bed sores, are often the result of residents staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Berkeley Pines Skilled Nursing Center, 1.84% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of residents who have had a fall leading to serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Berkeley Pines Skilled Nursing Center, 1.34% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of patients who sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are often the result of lower quality nursing care. Nevertheless, this statistic may also be skewed for some nursing homes due to different reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Berkeley Pines Skilled Nursing Center, 10.3% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic indicates the percent of long-term patients taking antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to make sure these drugs are being used only where medically required. In some cases, increased usage of these drugs may indicate a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Berkeley Pines Skilled Nursing Center, 13.84% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic indicates the percent of long-term patients who were given antianxiety medication. These drugs are used to treat residents suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Berkeley Pines Skilled Nursing Center, 5.83% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents showing signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Berkeley Pines Skilled Nursing Center, 95.65% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents who were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Berkeley Pines Skilled Nursing Center, 8.26% Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term patients who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as dressing and using the bathroom. Some experts argue this is a reliable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Berkeley Pines Skilled Nursing Center, 10.41% Percentage of Residents
This metric tracks the percent of long-term care residents that remained mobile levels. Many would argue that mobility is vital to residents' physical and mental well-being.
In Berkeley Pines Skilled Nursing Center, 1.78 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Berkeley Pines Skilled Nursing Center, 10.41 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care.
- Alta Bates Summit Medical Center - Alta Bates CampAcute Care Hospitals 0.29 miles away2450 Ashby Avenue Berkeley California 94705Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 204-4444
- Children's Hospital & Research Center OaklandChildrens 1.31 miles away747 52nd Street Oakland California 94609Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 428-3000
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - Oakland/RichmondAcute Care Hospitals 2.24 miles away275 West Macarthur Boulevard Oakland California 94611Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 752-1000
- Alta Bates Summit Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.43 miles away350 Hawthorne Avenue Oakland California 94609Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 655-4000
- Highland HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.32 miles away1411 East 31st Street Oakland California 94602Government - Hospital District or Authority(510) 437-4800
- Alameda HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.47 miles away2070 Clinton Avenue Alameda California 94501Government - Hospital District or Authority(510) 522-3700
- Chinese HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.9 miles away845 Jackson St San Francisco California 94133Voluntary non-profit - Private(415) 982-2400
- Saint Francis Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.47 miles away900 Hyde St San Francisco California 94109Voluntary non-profit - Private(415) 353-6000
- Berkeley Dialysis Center0.4 miles away2655 Shattuck Ave Berkeley California 94704CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 23 (510) 486-8706
- Oakland Dialysis Center1.1 miles away5354 Claremont Avenue Oakland California 94618CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 40 (510) 597-0104
- Rai Piedmont1.28 miles away2710 Telegraph Avenue Suite #100 Oakland California 94612CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 33 (510) 286-9948
- Us Renal Care Berkeley1.56 miles away2895 7th Street Berkeley California 94710Dialysis Stations: 24 (510) 843-0627
- Satellite Dialysis Oakland2.35 miles away3330 Telegraph Ave Oakland California 94609CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (510) 433-8340
- Wellbound of Emeryville2.57 miles away2000 Powell Street Suite 140 Emeryville California 94608Dialysis Stations: 4 (510) 985-9660
- Rai Peralta2.71 miles away2757 Telegraph Avenue Oakland California 94612CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (510) 835-0154
- El Cerrito Dialysis Center5.21 miles away10690 San Pablo Avenue El Cerrito California 94530CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (510) 528-9590