Berkeley Pines Skilled Nursing Center is one of five available facilities in Berkeley, California. With an overall grade of B, this is a very respectable nursing home. This grade was right in line with the city grade in Berkeley. This facility's impressive report card was highlighted by its inspection rating, which you can find in the next section.
Berkeley Pines Skilled Nursing Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Colostomy Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
To go along with its favorable overall performance, we gave this place an A+ for the area of inspections. Inspection ratings weigh several factors, including deficiencies and substantiated complaints. You can learn more about each of these items by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. While this place had some minor dings on its inspection report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are those found in categories G through L. This tells you the government inspectors did not deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home was given impressive grades in the category of long-term care as well. Consequently, we awarded it one of our most dominant scores in that category with a area of A+. When nursing homes receive a score in this range in this category it generally means it has plenty of staff and is an overall good place to live on a permanent basis. Once we finished looking at the amount of nursing care, we next considered the nursing home's vaccination statistics. This nursing home vaccinated 96.09375 percent of its patients against pneumonia, which is an impressive figure. Pneumonia can be a deadly ailment for nursing home residents so we prefer when a facility doesn't roll the dice on this issue. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. It had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Berkeley Pines Skilled Nursing Center?
Turning to the area of nursing care, this was not one of this facility's strong suits. We awarded it a grade of D in this category. Clearly, this facility performed much better in the categories discussed above. In determining our nursing grades, we look at both nursing hours and the skill levels of the nurses. This nursing home offered only 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient on a daily basis. This is an alarmingly low total. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in computing our nursing grades. This nursing home performed well in terms of minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls.
Short-term Care Quality
The next area we assessed was short-term care, which is this nursing home's weakest category. We gave it an F in this area, which is certainly somewhat concerning. Our short-term care grades are meaningful for prospective residents needing rehabilitation. Rehabilitation typically mandates more highly-skilled nursing services. This includes a wide scope of services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, as well as other variations of therapy. It appears that this nursing home was below average in terms of its quantity of physical therapy and registered nurse hours provided to its residents based on the data we considered. Finally, we looked at the number of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. This was not a strength for this nursing home. We found that just 0 percent of this facility's residents returned home. At most nursing homes, about half of their residents are able to return home so this is well below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Berkeley Pines Skilled Nursing Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Berkeley Pines Skilled Nursing Center, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of patients that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin resulting from remaining in the same position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Berkeley Pines Skilled Nursing Center, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic gauges the percent of long-term care patients who have sustained a fall resulting in severe injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but high rates of major falls may be an indicator of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Berkeley Pines Skilled Nursing Center, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of patients who suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are often caused by lower quality nursing care. More frequent bathing can limit the number of UTI's sustained by residents in a nursing home. Note that this statistic is affected by by the fact that nursing homes have different reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Berkeley Pines Skilled Nursing Center, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of residents who were given antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs may be vital to many residents, it is important to confirm these drugs are being used appropriately. In limited cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Berkeley Pines Skilled Nursing Center, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of residents who were given antianxiety drugs. These medications are generally prescribed to patients suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Berkeley Pines Skilled Nursing Center, 4.64% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term care residents showing depressive symptoms. Many in the industry believe that this is a reliable measure of resident quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Berkeley Pines Skilled Nursing Center, 95.44% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term care residents who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Berkeley Pines Skilled Nursing Center, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of dependence on staff for assistance with ADL's could be a sign of the erosion of a resident's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Berkeley Pines Skilled Nursing Center, 12.45% Percentage of Residents
This is the percentage of patients who remained mobile levels over time. Retaining mobility can be a good sign for residents' health.
In Berkeley Pines Skilled Nursing Center, 1.61 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Berkeley Pines Skilled Nursing Center, 12.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Berkeley Pines Skilled Nursing Center, 9.83 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Scores for Berkeley, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Berkeley, California has 4 other nursing homes
- Alta Bates Summit Medical Center - Alta Bates CampAcute Care Hospitals 0.29 miles away2450 Ashby Avenue Berkeley California 94705Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 204-4444
- Children's Hospital & Research Center OaklandChildrens 1.31 miles away747 52nd Street Oakland California 94609Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 428-3000
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - Oakland/RichmondAcute Care Hospitals 2.24 miles away275 West Macarthur Boulevard Oakland California 94611Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 752-1000
- Alta Bates Summit Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.43 miles away350 Hawthorne Avenue Oakland California 94609Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 655-4000
- Highland HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.32 miles away1411 East 31st Street Oakland California 94602Government - Hospital District or Authority(510) 437-4800
- Alameda HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.47 miles away2070 Clinton Avenue Alameda California 94501Government - Hospital District or Authority(510) 522-3700
- Chinese HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.9 miles away845 Jackson St San Francisco California 94133Voluntary non-profit - Private(415) 982-2400
- Saint Francis Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.47 miles away900 Hyde St San Francisco California 94109Voluntary non-profit - Private(415) 353-6000
- Berkeley Dialysis Center0.4 miles away2655 Shattuck Ave Berkeley California 94704CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 23 (510) 486-8706
- Oakland Dialysis Center1.1 miles away5354 Claremont Avenue Oakland California 94618CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 40 (510) 597-0104
- Rai Piedmont1.28 miles away2710 Telegraph Avenue Suite #100 Oakland California 94612CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 33 (510) 286-9948
- Us Renal Care Berkeley1.56 miles away2895 7th Street Berkeley California 94710Dialysis Stations: 24 (510) 843-0627
- Satellite Dialysis Oakland2.35 miles away3330 Telegraph Ave Oakland California 94609CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (510) 433-8340
- Wellbound of Emeryville2.57 miles away2000 Powell Street Suite 140 Emeryville California 94608Dialysis Stations: 4 (510) 985-9660
- Rai Peralta2.71 miles away2757 Telegraph Avenue Oakland California 94612CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (510) 835-0154
- El Cerrito Dialysis Center5.21 miles away10690 San Pablo Avenue El Cerrito California 94530CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (510) 528-9590