Benjamin Healthcare Center is a very-large non-profit facility located in Roxbury Crossing, Massachusetts. With an overall grade of B+, this is a high quality nursing home. Based on our ratings, this nursing home looks like a good fit for most people. If you look further down this page, you can see this place's category ratings, which are also strong.
Benjamin Healthcare Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to performing well in its overall grade, this nursing home received even higher marks in nursing. We gave it one of our highest scores in that category with an A. Nursing grades are primarily based on the nursing home's nurse staffing. This facility provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This place performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a facility has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can frequently be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Short-term Care Quality
Contributing to this nursing home's list of accomplishments, it also was awarded a high-end short-term care score. We awarded them an impressive grade of A- in this category. In the area of short-term care, we strive to assess indicators of a nursing home's rehabilitation. We look at a nursing home's skilled nursing services, including the ones performed by registered nurses and physical therapists. Fortunately, it looks like this facility employs registered nurses. Not all facilities employs these skilled professionals. However, based on the information they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Finally, we looked at the number of residents who returned home from this facility. We found that 0 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home.
Does this page answer your questions about Benjamin Healthcare Center?
Long-term Care Quality
The next category we assessed is long-term care. This nursing home was given an above average long-term care grade, with a B+ in this category. When facilities receive this type of score in long-term care it is a good sign for resident care and indicates that the place is well-staffed with nurses and aids. In addition to considering the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we looked at the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home provided the vaccine to 100 percent of its patients. Vaccines are critical to keeping patients out of the hospital. Lastly, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
In the final category we assessed, this nursing home received a good grade in the area of inspections as well. In fact, we awarded it a B for that category. Perhaps the most important factor we look at in computing our inspection scores is deficiencies. Deficiencies are found on a facility's inspection reports. Nursing homes with higher scores in this area typically dodged the more severe deficiencies involving patient abuse or death. This particular nursing home received 6 deficiencies on its inspection report. Overall, this is still a good inspection report, but we'd always recommend looking into any deficiencies you find troubling.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Benjamin Healthcare Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Benjamin Healthcare Center, 6.44% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This datapoint indicates the percentage of long-term residents that suffered from new or worsened pressure ulcers . We consider this statistic when determining our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Benjamin Healthcare Center, 3.68% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric is an indication of the percent of long-term residents who suffered a fall leading to severe injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but excessive numbers of falls may be a sign of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Benjamin Healthcare Center, 2.42% of Patients had UTIs
This is an indication of the percentage of long-term care residents who experienced urinary tract infections. UTI's may be an indication of a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this datapoint can be skewed for some facilities due to different reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Benjamin Healthcare Center, 19.05% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic medications are prescribed to patients for many conditions, including dementia. Unfortunately, in some situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest that a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Benjamin Healthcare Center, 18.65% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint is an indication of the percentage of long-term patients taking antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Benjamin Healthcare Center, 1.93% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term patients who are demonstrating depressive symptoms. Some argue that this is a reliable measure of patient quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Benjamin Healthcare Center, 91.44% of Patients
This is the percent of patients that were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Benjamin Healthcare Center, 15.15% Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term patients that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as taking medications and eating.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Benjamin Healthcare Center, 17.66% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percent of residents that retained mobility levels over time. Preserving mobility is usually a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Benjamin Healthcare Center, 1.44 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Benjamin Healthcare Center, 17.66 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care.
- Brigham and Women's HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.57 miles away75 Francis Street Boston Massachusetts 02115Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 732-5500
- Boston Children's HospitalChildrens 0.68 miles away300 Longwood Avenue Boston Massachusetts 02115Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 735-6000
- Beth Israel Deaconess Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.89 miles away330 Brookline Avenue Boston Massachusetts 02215Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 667-7000
- Boston Medical Center Corporation-Acute Care Hospitals 1.62 miles away1 Boston Medical Center Place Boston Massachusetts 02118Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 638-8000
- Brigham and Women's Faulkner HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.22 miles away1153 Centre Street Jamaica Plain Massachusetts 02130Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 983-7000
- Tufts Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.6 miles away800 Washington Street Boston Massachusetts 02111Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 636-5000
- St Elizabeth's Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.63 miles away736 Cambridge Street Brighton Massachusetts 02135Proprietary(617) 789-3000
- Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary -Acute Care Hospitals 3.03 miles away243 Charles Street Boston Massachusetts 02114Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 523-7900
- Davita Brookline Dialysis0.84 miles away322 Washington Street Brookline Massachusetts 02445CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (617) 734-7794
- Brigham and Women's Hospital1.15 miles awayDialysis Unit 75 Francis Street Boston Massachusetts 02115Dialysis Stations: 7 (617) 732-6130
- Children's Hospital Boston1.15 miles awayDialysis Unit, Farley Four 300 Longwood Avenue Boston Massachusetts 02115Dialysis Stations: 7 (617) 355-7631
- Mary Eliza Mahoney Dialysis Center (Bma of Massachusetts)1.37 miles away416 Warren Street Roxbury Massachusetts 02119CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (617) 445-9989
- Dci Brigham/Faulkner1.38 miles awayDci Brigham/Faulkner 1153 Centre Street, Belkin House Jamaica Plain Massachusetts 02130CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (617) 983-4470
- Kidney Center1.63 miles away888 Commonwealth Avenue Boston Massachusetts 02215CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (617) 739-3000
- Davita Boston Dialysis1.88 miles awayDialysis Unit 660 Harrison Avenue Boston Massachusetts 02118CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 37 (617) 859-7000
- Dialysis Clinic, Inc. (Dci Boston)2.71 miles away35 Kneeland Street 5th Floor Boston Massachusetts 02111CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (617) 636-6389