Beneva Lakes Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center is located in Sarasota, Florida, a city with 232,625 people. This nursing home was given an F, which is just about as bad as it gets in our grading scheme. We found this to be one of the five worst rated nursing homes in Sarasota based on the data we assessed. With countless other facilities in the city, you may simply want to look elsewhere. More information on this nursing home's category grades is available below. Its best category is long-term care, which is discussed in the next section.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Beneva Lakes Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Sarasota senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
Although we gave this facility a terrible overall grade, we awarded it a grade of C for our long-term care rating. In calculating our long-term care grades, we look at the personal care received by the nursing home's patients. One of the datapoints we considered in addition to nurse's aid hours was vaccinations. Fortunately, this facility administered the pneumonia vaccination to 99.14773 percent of its residents. Lastly, this place was also able to limit hospitalizations. It had only 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
This facility excelled in the category of nursing, where it received an D. There are many criteria included in this area. Most of these subcategories reflect nurse staffing. This nursing home averaged just 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient each day. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in computing our nursing scores. This facility fared well in terms of minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls.
Does this page answer your questions about Beneva Lakes Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center?
Among this facility's alarming category grades was an F for its inspection grade. More often than not, this means we found some red flags on the facility's inspection reports. When a facility has this bad of an inspection score, you should look for severe deficiencies on its inspection report. Severe deficiencies indicate a threat to resident safety. This particular facility was hit with 6 deficiencies by CMS. The only favorable thing we found is that none of its deficiencies were in the categories that suggest they posed a risk to patient safety or health. Lastly, we need to point out that this place received significant government fines recently of more than $100,000. This typically signifies that a facility's poor track record has been an issue for several years.
Short-term Care Quality
The next category we assessed is short-term care. Unfortunately, we gave it an F in this category, which is a poor score. In determining our short-term care scores, we look at the facility's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses, speech therapists, physical therapists and other types of skilled professionals. The purpose is to devise a scale for comparing the rehabilitation services of different nursing homes. Not surprisingly, we discovered that this place offers significantly less physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than a typical facility. Lastly, we looked at the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that just 3.2 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Beneva Lakes Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Beneva Lakes Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center, 9.19% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of patients who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage resulting from remaining in the same position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Beneva Lakes Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center, 2.87% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of residents who have had a fall resulting in major injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Beneva Lakes Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center, 1.78% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of residents that sustained a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a measure of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are often the result of a facility with lower levels of hygiene. However, this statistic could also be skewed for certain nursing homes due to inconsistent reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Beneva Lakes Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center, 10.42% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of patients given antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs may be helpful for many residents, it is important to make sure these medications are being used appropriately. In limited cases, excessive reliance on these medications may mean a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Beneva Lakes Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center, 21.31% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure is a measure of the percent of long-term residents who were given antianxiety medication. These drugs are generally used to treat patients suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Beneva Lakes Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center, 2.53% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term stay patients showing signs of depression. Some experts would argue this is a reasonable measure of quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Beneva Lakes Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center, 95.81% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term patients that were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for seniors, making these vaccines critical to patient well-being.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Beneva Lakes Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center, 12.69% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term patients who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as taking medications and using the bathroom. Some believe this is a reasonable measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Beneva Lakes Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center, 14.03% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percent of patients who remained mobile levels over time. Optimizing mobility is usually a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Beneva Lakes Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center, 2.07 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care. There is a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and the overall quality of long-term care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Beneva Lakes Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center, 14.03 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Beneva Lakes Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center, 9.64 Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Beneva Lakes Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center, 77.72% Percentage of Resident
This is the percent of short-term stay residents who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
Scores for Sarasota, FL
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Sarasota, Florida has 10 other nursing homes
- Sarasota Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.14 miles away1700 S Tamiami Trl Sarasota Florida 34239Government - Hospital District or Authority(941) 917-9000
- Doctors Hospital of SarasotaAcute Care Hospitals 3.26 miles away5731 Bee Ridge Rd Sarasota Florida 34233Proprietary(941) 342-1100
- Lakewood Ranch Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.98 miles away8330 Lakewood Ranch Blvd Bradenton Florida 34202Proprietary(941) 782-2100
- Manatee Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.1 miles away206 2nd St E Bradenton Florida 34208Proprietary(941) 746-5111
- Blake Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.79 miles away2020 59th St W Bradenton Florida 34209Proprietary(941) 792-6611
- Venice Regional Medical Center - Bayfront HealthAcute Care Hospitals 16.58 miles away540 the Rialto Venice Florida 34285Proprietary(941) 485-7711
- Us Renal Care Sarasota2.2 miles away1921 Waldemere St Ste 107 Sarasota Florida 34239CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 37 (941) 917-6444
- Fresenius Kidney Care Sarasota Trails3.14 miles away4012 S Tamiami Trail Sarasota Florida 34231Dialysis Stations: 17 (941) 924-0003
- Fmc - Sarasota Coastal Dialysis Center4.04 miles away2989 Fruitville Rd Sarasota Florida 34237CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (941) 373-9270
- Fmc - North Sarasota Dialysis Center5.51 miles away8037 Cooper Creek Blvd Bradenton Florida 34201Dialysis Stations: 14 (941) 351-1641
- Manasota Dialysis5.81 miles away6960 Professional Pkwy E Units 4 & 5 Sarasota Florida 34240Dialysis Stations: 16 (941) 362-2864
- Lakewood Ranch Dialysis6.03 miles away8470 Cooper Creek Blvd Bradenton Florida 34201Dialysis Stations: 12 (941) 359-0676
- Bradenton Dialysis10.84 miles away3501 Cortez Rd W Bradenton Florida 34210Dialysis Stations: 16 (941) 727-4209
- Southwest Florida Dialysis Center11.89 miles away520 Manatee Ave East Bradenton Florida 34208Dialysis Stations: 24 (941) 747-5500