Belle Teche Nursing & Rehabilitation Center is located in New Iberia, Louisiana. With an overall grade of D, this is a relatively poor nursing home. This place seems to have very little working in its favor. We wouldn't blame you if you're ready to stop reading and find another facility. However, if you want to learn more about this nursing home's category grades, long-term care grades are discussed in the next paragraph.
Belle Teche Nursing & Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Aquatic Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
Although we didn't rate this nursing home favorably overall, we want to note its relatively favorable long-term care grade this year. We gave it a B+ in this area. Nursing homes that do well in this category typically provide residents with closer supervision and stay on top of routine medical care. One of the statistics we considered in addition to nurse's aid hours is vaccines. This facility provided the pneumonia vaccine to 99.74359 percent of its residents. This is a proven method to minimize negative health outcomes for the nursing home population. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Shockingly, this nursing home actually earned a good grade in the area of inspections as well. We gave it a B for that category, which is one of our better scores. Not many facilities that were this poor overall received multiple category grades of this caliber. Arguably the most important factor we look at in calculating our inspection ratings is deficiencies. Deficiencies are found on a nursing home's inspection reports. It is generally best to avoid nursing homes that had a long list of deficiencies. It does not appear that we have deficiency data for this nursing home. We wish we had more information about this facility. Without all of the information regarding deficiencies, it was challenging to evaluate the place in the area of inspections.
Does this page answer your questions about Belle Teche Nursing & Rehabilitation Center?
We were stunned to find that this facility also excelled in nursing. We gave it a score of D for that category, which is one of our best grades. Nursing scores are mostly based on the nursing home's nurse staffing. With a meager 0.4 hours of nursing care per patient daily, this place's nurse staffing levels were well below the national average. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in calculating our nursing scores. This place fared well in terms of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers.
Short-term Care Quality
The final category we graded is short-term care. It received a lowly F in this area, which is a rock bottom grade. In our short-term care grade, we seek to forge a valuable barometer for rehabilitation. In doing so, we look at a nursing home's offerings of skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as occupational therapy. Based on its abysmal grade in this category, we weren't surprised to discover that this nursing home provided significantly fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than most other nursing homes. The last item we looked at in this category is the percentage of residents that returned home from the facility. This facility struggled quite a bit in this metric as well, with just 3.7 percent of its patients returning home. Unfortunately, this was well below the national average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Belle Teche Nursing & Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Belle Teche Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 9.89% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of residents that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin due to remaining in the same position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Belle Teche Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 3.47% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of residents who suffered from a major fall. Falls leading to serious injury are often caused by poor nursing care. More supervision reduces the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Belle Teche Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 2.76% of Patients had UTIs
This gauges the percentage of long-term care patients who suffered from a UTI. UTI's may be an indicator of a facility with worst hygiene practices. Nevertheless, this statistic may also be skewed for certain facilities due to varying reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Belle Teche Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 15.79% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric gauges the percent of long-term stay patients who are administered antipsychotic medication. Excessive reliance on these medications may suggest that a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior in scenarios where such drugs aren't medically required. However, some nursing homes may need to rely more on these drugs due to having more residents with dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Belle Teche Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 22.51% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of long-term care patients who were administered antianxiety drugs. These medications are typically given to residents experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Belle Teche Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 1.54% of Patients
This is the percent of residents demonstrating signs of depression. Increased levels of depression may be an indicator a lower level of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Belle Teche Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 89.03% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term stay patients that were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Belle Teche Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 17.58% Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term stay patients that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as dressing and taking a bath.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Belle Teche Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 16.37% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of patients who remained mobile levels over time. Optimizing mobility is often a good sign for residents' health.
In Belle Teche Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 1.85 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Belle Teche Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 16.37 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Belle Teche Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 12.9 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is usually a correlation between fewer emergency room visits and the quality of care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Belle Teche Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 63.81% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of short-term care residents that saw functional improvements.
Scores for New Iberia, LA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? New Iberia, Louisiana has 3 other nursing homes
- Iberia Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.82 miles away2315 E Main Street New Iberia Louisiana 70562Government - Hospital District or Authority(337) 364-0441
- Our Lady of Lourdes Regional Medical Center, IncAcute Care Hospitals 15.14 miles away4801 Ambassador Caffery Parkway Lafayette Louisiana 70508Voluntary non-profit - Private(337) 470-2100
- Heart Hospital of LafayetteAcute Care Hospitals 15.76 miles away1105 Kaliste Saloom Road Lafayette Louisiana 70508Proprietary(337) 521-1000
- Abbeville General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.99 miles away118 N Hospital Dr Abbeville Louisiana 70510Government - Hospital District or Authority(337) 893-5466
- Lafayette General Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 16.79 miles away1214 Coolidge Avenue Lafayette Louisiana 70503Voluntary non-profit - Private(337) 289-7991
- University Hospital & ClinicsAcute Care Hospitals 18.52 miles away2390 West Congress Lafayette Louisiana 70506Voluntary non-profit - Private(337) 261-6000
- St Martin HospitalCritical Access Hospitals 18.95 miles away210 Champagne Boulevard Breaux Bridge Louisiana 70517Voluntary non-profit - Private(337) 332-2178
- Dci - Kidney Care of Acadiana-New Iberia2.16 miles away902-a S Lewis Ave New Iberia Louisiana 70560Dialysis Stations: 15 (337) 367-3995
- Fmcna - New Iberia3.21 miles away609 Rue De Brille New Iberia Louisiana 70563CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (337) 364-1185
- Dci - Bayou Teche4.11 miles away2708 E. Main St New Iberia Louisiana 70560Dialysis Stations: 17 (337) 369-9552
- Davita - Youngsville Dialysis13.28 miles away314 Youngsville Hwy, Ste 125 Lafayette Louisiana 70508Dialysis Stations: 15 (337) 837-5044
- Fmcna - Abbeville16.27 miles away904 N John Hardy Dr Abbeville Louisiana 70510CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (337) 893-7577
- Fmcna - Veterans Memorial16.36 miles away1820 Veterans Memorial Dr Abbeville Louisiana 70510Dialysis Stations: 17 (337) 898-1932
- Fmcna - East Lafayette17.11 miles away1340 Surrey Lafayette Louisiana 70501Dialysis Stations: 15 (337) 264-1265
- Dci - Kidney Care of Acadiana-Lafayette17.96 miles away224 St Landry Ste 3c Lafayette Louisiana 70506Dialysis Stations: 10 (337) 231-5511