Belhaven Senior Care is in Jackson, Mississippi. This facility was given an A- overall, which is one of our best grades. We were so impressed with this facility that we ranked it in the top fifth of all facilities in the nation. This facility's strong report card was highlighted by its long-term care score, which we will address in the next paragraph.
Belhaven Senior Care
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
To pair with its strong overall grade, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A+ for its nursing grade. Nursing homes that receive this kind of grade in long-term care tend to provide consistent around the clock care to make sure residents are well cared for. Once we concluded our assessment of the quantity of care provided by nurses, we next considered the nursing home's vaccination records. This facility vaccinated 100 percent of its patients against pneumonia, which is an impressive figure. Pneumonia sadly can be a deadly illness for nursing home patients so we strongly prefer when a nursing home doesn't leave this to chance. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0.03 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Adding to its impressive category grades, this facility excelled in the area of inspections, where it earned a grade of A. Not many nursing homes performed better in this area. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in calculating our inspection scores. One key factor is health deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of deficiencies is usually more important than the number of deficiencies, as some of these end up being relatively insignificant. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Does this page answer your questions about Belhaven Senior Care?
This facility also excelled in the area of nursing, where it received a grade of A-. Few nursing homes performed better in this area. Our nursing score is based on many datapoints, most of which are tied to quantities of nurse staffing. This particular nursing home provided 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This place performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a place has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can often be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Short-term Care Quality
The next area we analyzed was short-term care. We awarded this facility an acceptable score in that category, with a grade of B-. Even though this wasn't as favorable as a few of its other grades, it is still not a bad grade. Short-term care grades are often used to gauge a nursing home's rehabilitation services. To offer highly rated rehabilitation services, nursing homes generally need to provide higher levels of highly skilled nursing services. These types of services include registered nurses, physical therapists, occupational therapists and other highly trained professionals. Fortunately, it appear that this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not every nursing home employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, based on the information this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Finally, we assessed the number of patients that ultimately were able to return home from this nursing home. We found that 5.1 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home. This figure was well below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Belhaven Senior Care Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Belhaven Senior Care, 10.98% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric indicates the percentage of long-term care residents who developed pressure ulcers. We have found that pressure ulcers are an indicator of the quality of nursing care a nursing home provides.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Belhaven Senior Care, 3.19% of Patients had Serious Falls
This gauges the percent of long-term care patients who have sustained a fall leading to serious injury. This is one of the statistics we use in calculating nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Belhaven Senior Care, 3.13% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of patients that have had a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care . UTI's are often linked to a facility with worst hygiene practices. Nevertheless, this datapoint may be skewed for some facilities due to different reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Belhaven Senior Care, 20.09% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of patients prescribed antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic drugs are given to residents for many medical conditions, including cognitive disorders. Tragically, in some situations, increased usage of these drugs may suggest a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Belhaven Senior Care, 22.77% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents prescribed antianxiety medications. These medications are used to treat residents suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Belhaven Senior Care, 2.34% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents who are showing depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Belhaven Senior Care, 93.38% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term residents that received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for seniors, making these vaccines critical to patient safety.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Belhaven Senior Care, 19.45% Percentage of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term patients that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as taking medications and eating. Many would argue this is a reasonable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Belhaven Senior Care, 23.26% Percentage of Residents
This metric tracks the percent of long-term residents that maintained mobility. Many would argue that the ability to move around is critical to residents' health.
In Belhaven Senior Care, 1.76 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Belhaven Senior Care, 23.26 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Avoiding rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is key to restoring the physical abilities of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Belhaven Senior Care, 13.82 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care.
Scores for Jackson, MS
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Jackson, Mississippi has 9 other nursing homes
- Mississippi Baptist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.15 miles away1225 N State St Jackson Mississippi 39202Voluntary non-profit - Private(601) 968-1000
- University of Mississippi Med CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.1 miles away2500 N State St Jackson Mississippi 39216Government - State(601) 984-4100
- St Dominic-Jackson Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.59 miles away969 Lakeland Dr Jackson Mississippi 39216Voluntary non-profit - Church(601) 200-2000
- Merit Health River OaksAcute Care Hospitals 4.22 miles away1030 River Oaks Drive Flowood Mississippi 39232Proprietary(601) 932-1030
- Brentwood Behavioral Healthcare of MsPsychiatric 4.68 miles away3531 East Lakeland Drive Flowood Mississippi 39232Proprietary(601) 936-2024
- Merit Health CentralAcute Care Hospitals 5.01 miles away1850 Chadwick Dr Jackson Mississippi 39204Proprietary(601) 376-1000
- Merit Health RankinAcute Care Hospitals 8.42 miles away350 Crossgates Blvd Brandon Mississippi 39042Proprietary(601) 825-2811
- Merit Health MadisonAcute Care Hospitals 19.42 miles away161 River Oaks Drive Canton Mississippi 39046Proprietary(601) 855-4000
- Fresenius Medical Care Southwest Jackson Home0.46 miles away1421 N State Street Suite 501 Jackson Mississippi 39202Dialysis Stations: 2 (601) 292-1545
- Bio-Medical Applications of Mississippi, Inc.0.46 miles away656 North State Street Jackson Mississippi 39202Dialysis Stations: 10 (601) 944-0151
- Medical Mall Dialysis1.58 miles away350 W. Woodrow Wilson Md-224 Jackson Mississippi 39213Dialysis Stations: 48 (601) 815-6345
- Fmc Jackson1.71 miles away381 Medical Drive Jackson Mississippi 39216CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 38 (601) 981-9652
- Isd Renal Inc3.37 miles away1015 I-20 Frontage Rd Jackson Mississippi 39204CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 35 (601) 373-9154
- Fmc Southwest Jackson4.98 miles away1856 Hospital Drive Jackson Mississippi 39204CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 29 (601) 371-2896
- Isd Renal Inc5.19 miles away571 Beasley Rd Suite a (in-Center Care) Jackson Mississippi 39206CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 46 (601) 957-1999
- Isd Renal Inc5.67 miles away1828 Raymond Road Jackson Mississippi 39204CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (601) 373-7897