Belhaven Senior Care is in Jackson, Mississippi. This is a quality facility, with an overall grade of B+. With no elite facilities in the city, this is actually the best facility in Jackson. This facility's strong report card was highlighted by its nursing score, which we will address in the next paragraph.
Belhaven Senior Care
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
1004 North St,
Jackson MS 39202
74.5% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to being a quality nursing home overall, this facility really excelled in the area of nursing, where it received an A-. Few nursing homes performed better in this category. Our nursing score focuses on the facility's nurse staffing levels. We factor in both the levels of licensure of those nurses and the amount of time spent with patients. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This nursing home performed very well when it comes to avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
This nursing home also excelled in the area of inspections. In fact, we gave it an A- for that area, which is one of our highest scores. This is one of the few facilities with an overall score in this range which received multiple category grades this high. These inspection scores weigh several factors, including deficiencies and substantiated complaints. You can learn more about each of these factors by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Even some of the best nursing homes receive an occasional ding on their inspection report.
Does this page answer your questions about Belhaven Senior Care?
Short-term Care Quality
This facility is also above average in the category of short-term care, where it received a grade of B+. It performed more favorably than most facilities in this area. In our short-term care rating, we strive to forge a sound measure for rehabilitation. In this process, we analyze a nursing home's scope of highly-skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as speech therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not all nursing homes employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, based on the data this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The final item we considered in this category is the percentage of patients who ultimately were able to return home from the facility. We found that 0 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home as opposed to remaining at the nursing home on a permanent basis.
Long-term Care Quality
In our final area, this facility also was given an impressive long-term care score, with a B+. This topped off a very impressive report card. Long-term care scores in this range generally require both around the clock care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine medical care. One of the data points we considered after nursing hours was vaccines. This facility administered the pneumonia vaccine to 100 percent of its patients. This is a reliable method to minimize unnecessary hospitalizations for the nursing home population. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0.03 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Belhaven Senior Care Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Belhaven Senior Care, 10.72% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients which developed new or worsened pressure ulcers. We have found that pressure ulcers are a reliable indicator of a facility's nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Belhaven Senior Care, 3.26% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric is an indication of the percent of long-term patients who experienced a fall resulting in major injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but excessive numbers of falls may be a sign of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Belhaven Senior Care, 3.03% of Patients had UTIs
This figure measures the percent of long-term patients that sustained UTI's. While more infections could reflect poorly on a facility's hygiene protocols, it is difficult to compare different facilities due to facilities having reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Belhaven Senior Care, 20.18% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure indicates the percent of long-term patients that were given antipsychotic medication. Excessive reliance on these medications may mean that a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior in situations where such drugs are not medically indicated. However, some facilities may need to rely on these medications due to an increased number of patients suffering from cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Belhaven Senior Care, 22.76% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of long-term care residents taking antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Belhaven Senior Care, 2.3% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents who are exhibiting signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Belhaven Senior Care, 93.75% of Patients
This is the percent of residents who were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Belhaven Senior Care, 18.95% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as taking medications and bathing.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Belhaven Senior Care, 20.82% Percentage of Residents
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients that maintained mobility. Many argue that the ability to move around is vital to residents' physical and mental well-being.
In Belhaven Senior Care, 1.95 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric measures the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. Keeping residents out of the hospital is important to preserving the physical well-being of nursing home residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Belhaven Senior Care, 20.82 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Belhaven Senior Care, 13.63 Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Avoiding medical emergencies is one way to measure the well-being of patients during rehabilitation.
Scores for Jackson, MS
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Jackson, Mississippi has 9 other nursing homes
- Mississippi Baptist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.15 miles away1225 N State St Jackson Mississippi 39202Voluntary non-profit - Private(601) 968-1000
- University of Mississippi Med CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.1 miles away2500 N State St Jackson Mississippi 39216Government - State(601) 984-4100
- St Dominic-Jackson Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.59 miles away969 Lakeland Dr Jackson Mississippi 39216Voluntary non-profit - Church(601) 200-2000
- Merit Health River OaksAcute Care Hospitals 4.22 miles away1030 River Oaks Drive Flowood Mississippi 39232Proprietary(601) 932-1030
- Brentwood Behavioral Healthcare of MsPsychiatric 4.68 miles away3531 East Lakeland Drive Flowood Mississippi 39232Proprietary(601) 936-2024
- Merit Health CentralAcute Care Hospitals 5.01 miles away1850 Chadwick Dr Jackson Mississippi 39204Proprietary(601) 376-1000
- Merit Health RankinAcute Care Hospitals 8.42 miles away350 Crossgates Blvd Brandon Mississippi 39042Proprietary(601) 825-2811
- Merit Health MadisonAcute Care Hospitals 19.42 miles away161 River Oaks Drive Canton Mississippi 39046Proprietary(601) 855-4000
- Fresenius Medical Care Southwest Jackson Home0.46 miles away1421 N State Street Suite 501 Jackson Mississippi 39202Dialysis Stations: 2 (601) 292-1545
- Bio-Medical Applications of Mississippi, Inc.0.46 miles away656 North State Street Jackson Mississippi 39202Dialysis Stations: 10 (601) 944-0151
- Medical Mall Dialysis1.58 miles away350 W. Woodrow Wilson Md-224 Jackson Mississippi 39213Dialysis Stations: 48 (601) 815-6345
- Fmc Jackson1.71 miles away381 Medical Drive Jackson Mississippi 39216CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 38 (601) 981-9652
- Isd Renal Inc3.37 miles away1015 I-20 Frontage Rd Jackson Mississippi 39204CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 35 (601) 373-9154
- Fmc Southwest Jackson4.98 miles away1856 Hospital Drive Jackson Mississippi 39204CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 29 (601) 371-2896
- Isd Renal Inc5.19 miles away571 Beasley Rd Suite a (in-Center Care) Jackson Mississippi 39206CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 46 (601) 957-1999
- Isd Renal Inc5.67 miles away1828 Raymond Road Jackson Mississippi 39204CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (601) 373-7897