Beaconshire Nursing Centre is an average-sized nursing home located in Detroit, Michigan. With a rock bottom overall grade of F, this facility isn't high on our list. In our view, you'd be better off to avoid of this place. We wouldn't blame you if you're ready to stop reading and find another nursing home. However, if you want to learn more about this place's category grades, inspection reports are discussed in the next section.
Beaconshire Nursing Centre
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Individual
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
While we graded this facility incredibly poorly overall, it received a fairly respectable inspection report this year. As a result, it received a decent grade in that category with a score of C. Our inspection scores account for a host of factors found on a nursing home's inspection report. One key criteria we weigh heavily is the number and severity of deficiencies. This nursing home was assessed 8 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none were in any of the categories labeled G through L. This means that it avoided the more ominous categories of deficiencies. Unfortunately, we also need to draw your attention to the fact that this facility received significant government fines in recent years.
Long-term Care Quality
Sadly, this nursing home's second most respectable category was long-term care. However, with a D in this area, it still fared somewhat poorly. Nursing homes that don't fare well in long-term care typically aren't as well-staffed and are lagging in a few of the areas of routine medical care we assessed. After assessing the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we next considered the facility's vaccination records. Candidly, we were a bit alarmed this facility vaccinated 19.379845 percent of its patients against pneumonia, which happens to be several points lower than what we expected. Surprisingly, this facility was actually able to limit hospitalizations. With just 0.05 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, this nursing home had less hospitalizations than many nursing homes. This is its best feature in this category.
Does this page answer your questions about Beaconshire Nursing Centre?
We gave this facility a grade of just D for our nursing rating. When calculating our nursing grades, we assess both the number of hours nurses spend with residents and the training levels of those nurses. This facility provided just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a very low total compared to most nursing homes. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in calculating our nursing ratings. This nursing home fared well in the area of minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these statistics to be measures of the quality of nursing care.
Short-term Care Quality
The final category we looked at was short-term care. This nursing home was given a very poor grade of F in this area. In calculating our short-term care ratings, we look at the nursing home's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses, occupational therapists, physical therapists and other types of therapists. Our objective is to formulate a tool for comparing the rehabilitation services of various facilities. With its grade in this area, we were not surprised to find that this place was well below average in terms of the number of registered nurse and physical therapy hours offered to its residents based on the measures we looked at. Honestly, this was what we expected here. Lastly, we assessed the number of residents who eventually returned home from this nursing home. This facility didn't fare well here either. In fact, we found that just 0 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Beaconshire Nursing Centre Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Beaconshire Nursing Centre, 8.78% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of patients who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also known as bed sores, are often caused by residents not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing protocols can limit the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Beaconshire Nursing Centre, 2.9% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of residents that suffered from a fall which resulted in serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Beaconshire Nursing Centre, 2.36% of Patients had UTIs
This is an indication of the percentage of long-term care patients who have sustained urinary tract infections. UTI's may be an indication of a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this metric may also be misleading for some nursing homes due to different reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Beaconshire Nursing Centre, 13.11% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic is an indication of the percent of long-term residents who were administered antipsychotic drugs. High levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean a facility is using these medications to subdue residents in situations where such medications aren't medically indicated. However, some nursing homes need to rely on these drugs due to having more patients suffering from Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Beaconshire Nursing Centre, 18.81% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of residents who were given antianxiety medications. Antianxiety drugs are given to patients suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Beaconshire Nursing Centre, 3.44% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients showing signs of depression. Higher rates of depression may be an indicator a lower level of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Beaconshire Nursing Centre, 91.43% of Patients
This is the percent of residents who were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Beaconshire Nursing Centre, 12.1% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Beaconshire Nursing Centre, 17.7% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percent of patients that remained mobile levels over time. Preserving mobility is usually a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Beaconshire Nursing Centre, 1.47 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care. There is a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and the quality of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Beaconshire Nursing Centre, 17.7 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care. There is typically a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Beaconshire Nursing Centre, 10.81 Percentage of Patients
Measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Beaconshire Nursing Centre, 77.3% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of short-term stay residents who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Many in the industry believe this is a reliable measure of a nursing home's rehabilitation services.
Scores for Detroit, MI
- Overall Rating has a grade of D
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Detroit, Michigan has 22 other nursing homes
- Ascension Providence HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.92 miles away16001 W Nine Mile Rd Southfield Michigan 48075Voluntary non-profit - Church(248) 849-3011
- Beaumont Hospital - Farmington HillsAcute Care Hospitals 3.43 miles away28050 Grand River Avenue Farmington Michigan 48336Voluntary non-profit - Private(248) 471-8000
- Sinai-Grace HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.11 miles away6071 W Outer Drive Detroit Michigan 48235Proprietary(313) 966-3300
- Beaumont Hospital, Royal OakAcute Care Hospitals 6.25 miles away3601 W Thirteen Mile Rd Royal Oak Michigan 48073Voluntary non-profit - Private(248) 898-5000
- Garden City HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.09 miles away6245 Inkster Rd Garden City Michigan 48135Voluntary non-profit - Private(734) 421-3300
- St Mary Mercy HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.13 miles away36475 Five Mile Road Livonia Michigan 48154Voluntary non-profit - Private(734) 655-4800
- Henry Ford HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.18 miles away2799 W Grand Blvd Detroit Michigan 48202Voluntary non-profit - Private(313) 916-2600
- Henry Ford West Bloomfield HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.34 miles away6777 West Maple Road West Bloomfield Michigan 48322Voluntary non-profit - Private(248) 325-1000
- Southfield West Dialysis of Davita0.29 miles away21900 Melrose Ave Suite #4 Southfield Michigan 48075CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (248) 356-8079
- Davita - Redford1.61 miles away22711 Grand River Ave Detroit Michigan 48219CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (313) 255-0171
- Davita - Greenview1.7 miles away18544 Eight Mile Road Southfield Michigan 48075Dialysis Stations: 24 (248) 569-1729
- Davita - Riverwood Dialysis2.49 miles away24465 W 10 Mile Rd Southfield Michigan 48033Dialysis Stations: 16 (248) 352-3137
- Greenfield Hs - Northwest Detroit2.61 miles away7800 W Outer Dr Suite l10 Detroit Michigan 48235CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 42 (313) 270-9239
- Northwest Detroit Dialysis Center LLC2.69 miles away21000 Northwestern Hwy Southfield Michigan 48075CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (248) 557-7000
- Great Lakes Dialysis West, LLC2.88 miles away27150 W 8 Mile Rd Southfield Michigan 48033Dialysis Stations: 18 (248) 327-3999
- Fmc Dialysis - Northwest Detroit2.98 miles away18944 Grand River Ave Detroit Michigan 48223CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (313) 837-1530