Beaconshire Nursing Centre is an average-sized nursing home located in Detroit, Michigan. With a rock bottom overall grade of F, this facility isn't high on our list. In our view, you'd be better off to avoid of this place. If you aren't deterred by this nursing home's report card, feel free to continue reading to find out about its category scores. Nursing grades are discussed in the next paragraph.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Beaconshire Nursing Centre
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Detroit senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
Although we gave this nursing home a very poor overall grade, we awarded it a grade of B in the category of nursing. When computing a nursing home's nursing score, we consider the amount of time nurses are caring for patients and the level of licensure of those nurses. This facility provided 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality-based metrics and this facility excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any place the country in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can generally be avoided by providing better nursing care, such as by employing a system of turning patients even once per day.
Long-term Care Quality
Remarkably, we gave this facility a grade of C for our long-term care grade, which really isn't a bad grade. If you are looking for services other than rehabilitation, you should take a close look at long-term care grades. On top of looking at the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we analyzed the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. As it turns out, this facility vaccinated only 75.95819 percent of its residents, which is somewhat concerning. Fortunately, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Beaconshire Nursing Centre?
Unfortunately, with a grade of D in the inspection category, this facility performed relatively poorly in that area. Inspection grades weigh a host of factors included in a nursing home's inspection reports. Generally, you should be especially cautious when considering a nursing home that has severe deficiencies on a recent inspection report. This facility was assessed 8 deficiencies by CMS. The only favorable thing we found is that none of its deficiencies were in the categories that indicate they caused a threat to resident health or safety. Finally, this facility also received 57 substantiated complaints in recent years. This is yet another bad sign.
Short-term Care Quality
The final area we analyzed was short-term care, which is this nursing home's least impressive category. We gave this facility a D in that category. Our short-term care grade is often used to gauge a facility's rehabilitation services. In order to have good rehabilitation services, facilities generally need to feature higher levels of highly skilled nursing. These types of services include registered nurses, physical therapists, speech therapists and other licensed professionals. As you might expect, we discovered that this place offers substantially less registered nurse and physical therapist hours per resident than a typical nursing home. Finally, we looked at the percentage of patients that ultimately returned home from this facility. This nursing home didn't fare well here either. In fact, we found that just 0 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home. This figure was quite a bit off the national average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Beaconshire Nursing Centre Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Beaconshire Nursing Centre, 4.1% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of residents that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin resulting from staying in one position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Beaconshire Nursing Centre, 0% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of patients that suffered from a fall which caused major injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Beaconshire Nursing Centre, 3.99% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of residents who sustained a urinary tract infection. These infections may be associated with poorer hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Beaconshire Nursing Centre, 12.64% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients who are given antipsychotic drugs. High levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate that a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior in scenarios where such medications aren't medically indicated. Nevertheless, some nursing homes may need to rely on these drugs due to having more patients suffering from cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Beaconshire Nursing Centre, 17.25% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents who were given antianxiety medications. These medications are prescribed to patients experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Beaconshire Nursing Centre, 2.04% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients exhibiting signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Beaconshire Nursing Centre, 82.1% of Patients
This is the percent of patients that were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Beaconshire Nursing Centre, 10.36% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of dependence on staff for assistance with ADL's may indicate decline of a patient's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Beaconshire Nursing Centre, 9.6% of Residents
This tells you the percentage of residents who remained mobile levels over time. Preserving mobility can be a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Beaconshire Nursing Centre, 0.03 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. There is typically a correlation between staying out of the hospital and the overall quality of long-term care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Beaconshire Nursing Centre, 9.6% of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Beaconshire Nursing Centre, 8.73% of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Beaconshire Nursing Centre, 63.84% of Resident
Measures the percentage of short-term patients who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Some would argue that this is a reasonable measure of a nursing home's rehabilitation services.
Scores for Detroit, MI
- Overall Rating has a grade of D
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Detroit, Michigan has 5 other nursing homes
- Ascension Providence HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.92 miles away16001 W Nine Mile Rd Southfield Michigan 48075Voluntary non-profit - Church(248) 849-3011
- Beaumont Hospital - Farmington HillsAcute Care Hospitals 3.43 miles away28050 Grand River Avenue Farmington Michigan 48336Voluntary non-profit - Private(248) 471-8000
- Sinai-Grace HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.11 miles away6071 W Outer Drive Detroit Michigan 48235Proprietary(313) 966-3300
- Beaumont Hospital, Royal OakAcute Care Hospitals 6.25 miles away3601 W Thirteen Mile Rd Royal Oak Michigan 48073Voluntary non-profit - Private(248) 898-5000
- Garden City HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.09 miles away6245 Inkster Rd Garden City Michigan 48135Voluntary non-profit - Private(734) 421-3300
- St Mary Mercy HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.13 miles away36475 Five Mile Road Livonia Michigan 48154Voluntary non-profit - Private(734) 655-4800
- Henry Ford HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.18 miles away2799 W Grand Blvd Detroit Michigan 48202Voluntary non-profit - Private(313) 916-2600
- Henry Ford West Bloomfield HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.34 miles away6777 West Maple Road West Bloomfield Michigan 48322Voluntary non-profit - Private(248) 325-1000
- Southfield West Dialysis of Davita0.29 miles away21900 Melrose Ave Suite #4 Southfield Michigan 48075CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (248) 356-8079
- Davita - Redford1.61 miles away22711 Grand River Ave Detroit Michigan 48219CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (313) 255-0171
- Davita - Greenview1.7 miles away18544 Eight Mile Road Southfield Michigan 48075Dialysis Stations: 24 (248) 569-1729
- Davita - Riverwood Dialysis2.49 miles away24465 W 10 Mile Rd Southfield Michigan 48033Dialysis Stations: 16 (248) 352-3137
- Greenfield Hs - Northwest Detroit2.61 miles away7800 W Outer Dr Suite l10 Detroit Michigan 48235CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 42 (313) 270-9239
- Northwest Detroit Dialysis Center LLC2.69 miles away21000 Northwestern Hwy Southfield Michigan 48075CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (248) 557-7000
- Great Lakes Dialysis West, LLC2.88 miles away27150 W 8 Mile Rd Southfield Michigan 48033Dialysis Stations: 18 (248) 327-3999
- Fmc Dialysis - Northwest Detroit2.98 miles away18944 Grand River Ave Detroit Michigan 48223CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (313) 837-1530