Beaconshire Nursing Centre is an average-sized nursing home located in Detroit, Michigan. With a rock bottom overall grade of F, this facility isn't high on our list. In our view, you'd be better off to avoid of this place. We wouldn't blame you if you're ready to stop reading and find another nursing home. However, if you want to learn more about this place's category grades, inspection reports are discussed in the next section.
Beaconshire Nursing Centre
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Individual
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
While we graded this facility incredibly poorly overall, it received a fairly respectable inspection report this year. As a result, it received a decent grade in that category with a score of B-. Our inspection scores account for a host of factors found on a nursing home's inspection report. One key criteria we weigh heavily is the number and severity of deficiencies. This nursing home was assessed 8 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none were considered to be severe deficiencies. This indicates that the inspectors didn't deem any of these deficiencies to create an immediate risk to resident safety or health. A few minor deficiencies aren't necessarily the end of the world.
Long-term Care Quality
Remarkably, we awarded this facility a grade of C for its long-term care grade, which is not too bad of a score. In our long-term care grade, we focus on the sheer quantity of care provided by a facility, along with a handful of quality statistics. After considering the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we next considered the facility's vaccination statistics. Frankly, we were a bit bothered by the fact that this nursing home vaccinated 13.740457 percent of its patients for pneumonia, which is significantly below average. On a more positive note, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. It had only 0.05 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Beaconshire Nursing Centre?
Remarkably, we awarded this nursing home a grade of C for our nursing rating, which isn't a bad grade. There are many datapoints within this category. Most of the factors reflect the quantity of nurse staffing. This facility provided just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a relatively low total compared to most other facilities. Lastly, although this facility got dinged a bit for its nursing hours per resident, it excelled in a few of our quality metrics. With fewer than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it fared well in this metric.
Short-term Care Quality
The last area we analyzed was short-term care. This nursing home was given an abysmal grade of F in this category. Our short-term care grade is typically employed to measure a nursing home's performance with rehabilitation. In order to provide highly graded rehabilitation services, nursing homes generally must have better levels of skilled nursing. These types of services include registered nurses, physical therapists, occupational therapists and other types of therapists. Given its score in this area, we weren't surprised to find that this facility was well below average in terms of the quantity of physical therapy and registered nurse hours provided to its residents based on the measures we looked at. Honestly, this was what we expected here. The last measure we looked at in this area is the number of patients who ultimately were able to return home from the nursing home. This nursing home struggled quite a bit in this area as well, with just 2.6 percent of its patients returning home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Beaconshire Nursing Centre Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Beaconshire Nursing Centre, 8.85% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of residents that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage resulting from remaining in the same position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Beaconshire Nursing Centre, 2.88% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of residents who sustained a fall resulting in major injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Beaconshire Nursing Centre, 2.36% of Patients had UTIs
This is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients who sustained urinary tract infections. Although a higher rate of these infections could reflect poorly on a nursing home's cleanliness, it is problematic to compare between facilities due to facilities having differing reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Beaconshire Nursing Centre, 13.01% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of patients prescribed antipsychotic medications. These medications are sometimes used for several conditions, such as dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Beaconshire Nursing Centre, 18.73% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of patients who were prescribed antianxiety medications. These drugs are generally prescribed to patients suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Beaconshire Nursing Centre, 3.47% of Patients
This is the percent of patients showing symptoms of depression. High rates of depression may be an indicator worse patient care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Beaconshire Nursing Centre, 91.4% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term residents that were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Beaconshire Nursing Centre, 12.4% Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term patients that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as getting dressed and using the bathroom.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Beaconshire Nursing Centre, 19.67% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percent of patients that remained mobile levels over time. Preserving mobility is usually a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Beaconshire Nursing Centre, 1.35 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care. There is a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and the quality of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Beaconshire Nursing Centre, 19.67 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care. There is typically a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Beaconshire Nursing Centre, 10.71 Percentage of Patients
Measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Beaconshire Nursing Centre, 76.5% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of short-term stay residents who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Many in the industry believe this is a reliable measure of a nursing home's rehabilitation services.
Scores for Detroit, MI
- Overall Rating has a grade of D
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Detroit, Michigan has 25 other nursing homes
- Ascension Providence HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.92 miles away16001 W Nine Mile Rd Southfield Michigan 48075Voluntary non-profit - Church(248) 849-3011
- Beaumont Hospital - Farmington HillsAcute Care Hospitals 3.43 miles away28050 Grand River Avenue Farmington Michigan 48336Voluntary non-profit - Private(248) 471-8000
- Sinai-Grace HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.11 miles away6071 W Outer Drive Detroit Michigan 48235Proprietary(313) 966-3300
- Beaumont Hospital, Royal OakAcute Care Hospitals 6.25 miles away3601 W Thirteen Mile Rd Royal Oak Michigan 48073Voluntary non-profit - Private(248) 898-5000
- Garden City HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.09 miles away6245 Inkster Rd Garden City Michigan 48135Voluntary non-profit - Private(734) 421-3300
- St Mary Mercy HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.13 miles away36475 Five Mile Road Livonia Michigan 48154Voluntary non-profit - Private(734) 655-4800
- Henry Ford HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.18 miles away2799 W Grand Blvd Detroit Michigan 48202Voluntary non-profit - Private(313) 916-2600
- Henry Ford West Bloomfield HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.34 miles away6777 West Maple Road West Bloomfield Michigan 48322Voluntary non-profit - Private(248) 325-1000
- Southfield West Dialysis of Davita0.29 miles away21900 Melrose Ave Suite #4 Southfield Michigan 48075CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (248) 356-8079
- Davita - Redford1.61 miles away22711 Grand River Ave Detroit Michigan 48219CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (313) 255-0171
- Davita - Greenview1.7 miles away18544 Eight Mile Road Southfield Michigan 48075Dialysis Stations: 24 (248) 569-1729
- Davita - Riverwood Dialysis2.49 miles away24465 W 10 Mile Rd Southfield Michigan 48033Dialysis Stations: 16 (248) 352-3137
- Greenfield Hs - Northwest Detroit2.61 miles away7800 W Outer Dr Suite l10 Detroit Michigan 48235CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 42 (313) 270-9239
- Northwest Detroit Dialysis Center LLC2.69 miles away21000 Northwestern Hwy Southfield Michigan 48075CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (248) 557-7000
- Great Lakes Dialysis West, LLC2.88 miles away27150 W 8 Mile Rd Southfield Michigan 48033Dialysis Stations: 18 (248) 327-3999
- Fmc Dialysis - Northwest Detroit2.98 miles away18944 Grand River Ave Detroit Michigan 48223CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (313) 837-1530