Beachwood Post-Acute & Rehab is a very-large nursing home located in Santa Monica, California. With an overall grade of F, we consider this to be a bottom of the barrel facility. If you are not satisfied with this facility's low overall grade, you may find you have slim pickings in Santa Monica. The city has just two other nursing homes. More information on this facility's category grades is available below. Its best category was short-term care, which is addressed in the next paragraph.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Beachwood Post-Acute & Rehab
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Note: Beachwood Post-Acute & Rehab has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
Get pricing and details on Santa Monica senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Dialysis Transportation
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
Neither this facility's overall grade nor its category grades gave us anything positive to point out. Its best area was short-term care, but even there it received a lowly D. In our short-term care rating, we attempt to craft a fair measure for rehabilitation. In this process, we analyze a facility's levels of highly-skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as occupational therapy. Not surprisingly, we found that this nursing home provides far less physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than the average facility. Lastly, we considered the number of residents who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. This was not a strength for this facility. We found that just 5.2 percent of this facility's residents returned home. At most nursing homes, around half of their patients are able to return home so this is well below average.
Long-term Care Quality
Sadly, this nursing home's second most respectable score is long-term care. However, with a D in this category, it still performed relatively badly. For prospective patients in need of a permanent place to live as opposed to rehabilitation, long-term care is a very important category. After we finished assessing the volume of care provided by nurses, we then looked at the nursing home's vaccination data. We were optimistic to learn that this facility vaccinates 99.85876 percent of its residents against pneumonia. To our surprise, this nursing home also fared well at keeping its residents out of the hospital. It had just 0.04 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days. Sadly, some of its other scores in the category were not as favorable as these.
Does this page answer your questions about Beachwood Post-Acute & Rehab?
Unfortunately, with a grade of D in the inspection category, this facility performed relatively poorly in that area. Inspection ratings weigh a host of factors included in a facility's inspection report. One key criteria we look at is the number and severity of deficiencies. This nursing home had 11 deficiencies by government inspectors. The only positive thing we can say is that none of its deficiencies were in the categories that indicate that they posed a risk to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility was cited by CMS for possible abuse or neglect. We would not recommend this facility under any circumstance.
Switching gears to our next area, we awarded this facility a grade of D for our nursing category. This is the facility's worst category grade. Our nursing rating assesses the facility's level of nurse staffing. We consider both the levels of skill of those nurses and the number of hours spent with residents. This facility averaged a meager 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is an alarmingly low total. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in computing our nursing scores. This nursing home fared well when it comes to avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these metrics to be indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Beachwood Post-Acute & Rehab Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Beachwood Post-Acute & Rehab, 7.79% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of residents who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also called bed sores, are routinely caused by residents staying in one position for too long. Better nursing protocols can reduce the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Beachwood Post-Acute & Rehab, 1.84% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of residents that suffered from a major fall. Falls leading to severe injury are routinely associated with lower levels of patient supervision. More supervision minimizes the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Beachwood Post-Acute & Rehab, 1.34% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic tells you the percent of long-term stay patients who sustained a urinary tract infection. Although more of these infections could reflect poorly on a facility's nursing care, it can be problematic to compare different facilities due to varying reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Beachwood Post-Acute & Rehab, 10.3% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure is an indication of the percentage of long-term care residents that were administered antipsychotic medication. High levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean a facility is using these medications to subdue residents in situations where such medications are not medically indicated. Nevertheless, some nursing homes may need to rely on these drugs due to an increased number of patients suffering from cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Beachwood Post-Acute & Rehab, 13.84% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of long-term care patients taking antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Beachwood Post-Acute & Rehab, 5.83% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents who are showing symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Beachwood Post-Acute & Rehab, 95.65% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term care residents that were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Beachwood Post-Acute & Rehab, 8.26% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of patients who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of needing for assistance with ADL's may indicate deterioration of a resident's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Beachwood Post-Acute & Rehab, 10.41% Percentage of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients that maintained mobility. Some experts would argue that mobility is critical to residents' physical and mental health.
In Beachwood Post-Acute & Rehab, 1.78 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Beachwood Post-Acute & Rehab, 10.41 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term resident care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Beachwood Post-Acute & Rehab, 11.34 Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care. Staying out of the emergency room is one way to assess short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Beachwood Post-Acute & Rehab, 79.12% Percentage of Resident
This is the percent of short-term care patients who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
- Santa Monica - Ucla Med Ctr & Orthopaedic HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.17 miles away1250 16th Street Santa Monica California 90404Voluntary non-profit - Private(310) 319-4000
- Providence Saint John's Health CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.51 miles away2121 Santa Monica Blvd Santa Monica California 90404Voluntary non-profit - Private(310) 829-5511
- Ronald Reagan U C L a Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.47 miles away757 Westwood Plaza Los Angeles California 90095Government - State(310) 825-6301
- Resnick Neuropsychiatric Hospital at UclaPsychiatric 3.52 miles away150 Medical Plaza-Rm-4230c Los Angeles California 90095Government - State(310) 825-6962
- Cedars-Sinai Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.88 miles away8700 Beverly Blvd Los Angeles California 90048Voluntary non-profit - Other(310) 423-5000
- Sherman Oaks HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.48 miles away4929 Van Nuys Blvd Sherman Oaks California 91403Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 981-7111
- Southern California Hospital at HollywoodAcute Care Hospitals 10.28 miles away6245 De Longpre Ave Los Angeles California 90028Proprietary(323) 462-2271
- Providence Tarzana Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.39 miles away18321 Clark Street Tarzana California 91356Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 881-0800
- Davita-Santa Monica Dialysis0.1 miles away1260 15th Street, Suite 102 Santa Monica California 90404CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (310) 393-4744
- Davita-Mar Vista1.35 miles away2020 Santa Monica Blvd., Suite 100 & 120 Santa Monica California 90404CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (310) 453-4900
- Davita-Century City Dialysis Center3.49 miles away10630 Santa Monica Blvd. Los Angeles California 90025CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 40 (310) 954-2700
- Fmc-Culver City Dialysis3.97 miles away9432 Venice Blvd. Culver City California 90230CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (310) 836-2237
- Davita-Beverlywood Dialysis4.8 miles away2080 Century Park East, Suite 210 Los Angeles California 90067Dialysis Stations: 13 (310) 772-0224
- u.s. Renal Care Culver City5.08 miles away9808 Venice Blvd., Suite 200 Culver City California 90232Dialysis Stations: 18 (310) 841-0500
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital Medical Ctr.- West Los Angeles5.14 miles awayDialysis Unit 6041 Cadillac Avenue, Suite 442 Los Angeles California 90034Dialysis Stations: 4 (323) 857-3245
- u.s. Renal Care West Los Angeles Dialysis6.32 miles away1801 S. La Cienega Blvd. Los Angeles California 90035CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (310) 840-5688