Beach Terrace Care Center is a large facility in Long Beach, New York. Featuring an overall rating of B, this appears to be a good nursing home. We actually rated it as the best nursing home in Long Beach. The best part of this facility's impressive report card was its inspection grade. Inspection reports are discussed in the next section
Beach Terrace Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
On top of receiving a strong overall rating, this facility performed even better in the area of inspections which is associated with the facility's recent government inspection reports. We awarded it an A+ for this category, which is one of our best grades. Inspection grades weigh a host of factors included in a facility's inspection reports. One of the most important criteria we weigh heavily is the number and severity of deficiencies. Facilities with higher grades in this area typically have very few of these severe deficiencies. This facility received 4 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none were considered to be major deficiencies. This tells you that the government inspectors didn't consider any of the deficiencies to be an imminent threat to patient health or safety. A few minor deficiencies are not the end of the world.
Long-term Care Quality
Another one of this nursing home's impressive category scores came in the area of long-term care. We awarded them one of our higher scores in that area, with a score of B+. Facilities that do well in long-term care typically provide patients with better supervision and stay on top of routine healthcare services. In addition to considering the quantity of care provided by aids and other staff, we analyzed the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility administered the vaccine to 100 percent of its residents, which is far higher than most nursing homes. Finally, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Beach Terrace Care Center?
Short-term Care Quality
The next highest area we awarded this nursing home in any area came in the area of short-term care, where we awarded it a grade of B-. In our short-term care score, we attempt to forge a meaningful barometer for rehabilitation. In this process, we assess the facility's level of highly-skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as respiratory therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not all nursing homes employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, based on the information they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Finally, we assessed the number of residents that who were able to eventually return home from this facility. We found that 5.1 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home. This figure was actually well below average.
Turning to our next category, we gave this facility a grade of D for nursing. This was the nursing home's weakest category rating. Of course, this category pulled down the facility's overall grade a bit. There are a variety of criteria included in this area. Most of these data points are tied to staffing levels. This facility provided a meager 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident on a daily basis. This is well below average. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This nursing home performed well in the area of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Beach Terrace Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Beach Terrace Care Center, 9.62% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic measures the percentage of long-term residents that have pressure ulcers. We've found that pressure ulcers are an barometer of the quality of nursing care a facility provides.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Beach Terrace Care Center, 3.04% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of patients who have had a major fall. Falls resulting in major injury are considered by many experts to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care . Major falls are often the result of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Beach Terrace Care Center, 2.08% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint is an indication of the percentage of long-term residents who experienced a UTI. UTI's could be an indicator of lower quality nursing care. However, this metric can also be skewed for some nursing homes due to different reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Beach Terrace Care Center, 11.61% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic is an indication of the percentage of long-term residents taking antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to ensure these drugs are being used only where medically required. In limited situations, increased usage of these drugs may indicate a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Beach Terrace Care Center, 13.28% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric indicates the percent of long-term residents receiving antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Beach Terrace Care Center, 13.6% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients demonstrating signs of depression. Higher rates of depression could indicate worse patient care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Beach Terrace Care Center, 91.89% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients who were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Beach Terrace Care Center, 14.66% Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term residents that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as moving around and eating.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Beach Terrace Care Center, 18.82% Percentage of Residents
Measures the percentage of long-term care patients who maintained mobility. Some experts believe that the ability to move around is important for patients physical and mental health.
In Beach Terrace Care Center, 1.2 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Beach Terrace Care Center, 18.82 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care. There is usually a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Beach Terrace Care Center, 8.77 Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Beach Terrace Care Center, 74.71% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percent of short-term residents that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
Scores for Long Beach, NY
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of D
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-plus
Looking for more options? Long Beach, New York has 3 other nursing homes
- St John's Episcopal Hospital at South ShoreAcute Care Hospitals 3.72 miles away327 Beach 19th Street Far Rockaway New York 11691Voluntary non-profit - Church(718) 869-7000
- Mercy Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.75 miles away1000 North Village Avenue Rockville Centre New York 11570Voluntary non-profit - Private(516) 705-2525
- Jamaica Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.58 miles away89th Avenue and Van Wyck Expressway Richmond Hill New York 11418Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 262-6000
- Queens Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.05 miles away82-68 164th Street Jamaica New York 11432Government - Local(718) 883-3000
- Creedmoor Psychiatric CenterPsychiatric 11.08 miles away80-45 Winchester Blvd Bldg B Queens Village New York 11427Government - State(718) 264-4000
- Nyu Winthrop HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.21 miles away259 First Street Mineola New York 11501Voluntary non-profit - Private(516) 663-0333
- Nassau University Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.01 miles away2201 Hempstead Turnpike East Meadow New York 11554Government - Local(516) 572-0123
- Brookdale Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.78 miles away1 Brookdale Plaza Brooklyn New York 11212Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 240-5966
- Peninsula Continuum Services LLC3.35 miles away50-15 Beach Channel Drive Far Rockaway New York 11691Dialysis Stations: 20 (718) 734-2190
- Woodmere Dialysis LLC3.55 miles awayFive Towns Premier Nursing and Rehabilitation 1050 Central Avenue Woodmere New York 11598Dialysis Stations: 14 (516) 791-5277
- Marjorie Basser Dialysis Center3.76 miles awaySt. John's Episcopal Hospital 327 Beach 19th Street, Dialysis Unit Far Rockaway New York 11691Dialysis Stations: 15 (718) 869-7637
- South Nassau Outpatient Dialysis Center3.8 miles away3618 Oceanside Road Oceanside New York 11572CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (516) 255-8000
- Rockaway Hd LLC3.81 miles away529 Beach 20th Street Far Rockaway New York 11691Dialysis Stations: 16 (718) 327-4503
- Davita Lynbrook Dialysis Center4.99 miles away147 Scranton Avenue Lynbrook New York 11563CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (516) 596-4101
- S. Nassau Communities Hosp.5.48 miles away1 Healthy Way Dialysis - Acute Unit Oceanside New York 11572Dialysis Stations: 3 (516) 632-3944
- West Nassau Dialysis Ctr, Inc5.58 miles away75 Rockaway Avenue Valley Stream New York 11580CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (516) 823-4444