Beach Terrace Care Center is a large facility in Long Beach, New York. Featuring an overall rating of B, this appears to be a good nursing home. In our view, this place is a good fit for quite a few people. The best aspect of this nursing home's impressive report card is its inspection reports. We discuss inspections in the next section
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Beach Terrace Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Long Beach senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
On top of being a strong facility overall, this facility excelled in the area of inspections, where it earned an A+. Few facilities performed better in that area. Our inspection ratings account for several factors found on a facility's inspection reports. One key criteria we weigh heavily is the number and severity of deficiencies. Nursing homes with better grades in this area tend to have very few severe deficiencies. While this nursing home had some deficiencies on its inspection report, none of them were serious based on CMS' scale. Remember that deficiency-free inspection reports are uncommon in the industry.
Long-term Care Quality
This facility was given a favorable long-term care score as well. We awarded it one of our better grades in that area with a score of B+. When facilities receive a grade in this range in this category it generally means it's well-staffed and is a quality place to reside on a permanent basis. On top of looking at the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we analyzed the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home provided the vaccine to 100 percent of its patients. Vaccines are vital to keeping residents out of the hospital. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. It had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Beach Terrace Care Center?
Short-term Care Quality
The third category we analyzed is short-term care, where this nursing home was awarded a grade of B- in this area. In the area of short-term care, we endeavor to assess measures of a facility's rehabilitation. We analyze the facility's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses and physical, occupational and other therapists. Fortunately, it appear that this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not every nursing home employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, based on the information this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The final datapoint we assessed in this area is the number of residents who ultimately returned home from the nursing home. We found that just 0 percent of this facility's residents returned home. This figure was below the national average.
The next category we assessed was nursing, proved to be this nursing home's worst category. We awarded this facility a D in this category. This was one of the few dings of a quality profile. In calculating a nursing home's nursing grade, we assess the amount of time nurses are caring for residents as well as the level of skill of those nurses. This facility averaged a meager 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient per day. This is an alarmingly low total. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in calculating our nursing grades. This facility performed well in the area of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Beach Terrace Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Beach Terrace Care Center, 9.18% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of residents that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many experts to be an indicator of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, also known as bed sores, are routinely caused by patients staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Beach Terrace Care Center, 3.11% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of patients who suffered from a fall resulting in serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Beach Terrace Care Center, 2.03% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of patients who sustained a urinary tract infection. These infections could be associated with poor hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Beach Terrace Care Center, 12.22% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs may be vital to many patients, it is important to confirm these medications are being used only where medically required. In some situations, excessive reliance on these medications may mean a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Beach Terrace Care Center, 13.51% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term care patients taking antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Beach Terrace Care Center, 13.75% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients showing depressive symptoms. High levels of depression could be an indicator lower quality care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Beach Terrace Care Center, 90.38% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents who were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Beach Terrace Care Center, 15.3% Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as moving around and continence. Many in the industry believe this is a measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Beach Terrace Care Center, 14.12% Percentage of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term patients who were able to retain mobility. Some argue that the ability to move around is critical to residents' physical and mental health.
In Beach Terrace Care Center, 1.46 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. Minimizing hospitalizations is key to preserving the physical well-being of residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Beach Terrace Care Center, 14.12 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
Measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Beach Terrace Care Center, 9.74 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is generally a correlation between having fewer emergency room visits and the overall quality of care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Beach Terrace Care Center, 75.23% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of short-term patients that experienced functional improvements.
- St John's Episcopal Hospital at South ShoreAcute Care Hospitals 3.72 miles away327 Beach 19th Street Far Rockaway New York 11691Voluntary non-profit - Church(718) 869-7000
- Mercy Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.75 miles away1000 North Village Avenue Rockville Centre New York 11570Voluntary non-profit - Private(516) 705-2525
- Jamaica Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.58 miles away89th Avenue and Van Wyck Expressway Richmond Hill New York 11418Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 262-6000
- Queens Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.05 miles away82-68 164th Street Jamaica New York 11432Government - Local(718) 883-3000
- Creedmoor Psychiatric CenterPsychiatric 11.08 miles away80-45 Winchester Blvd Bldg B Queens Village New York 11427Government - State(718) 264-4000
- Nyu Winthrop HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.21 miles away259 First Street Mineola New York 11501Voluntary non-profit - Private(516) 663-0333
- Nassau University Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.01 miles away2201 Hempstead Turnpike East Meadow New York 11554Government - Local(516) 572-0123
- Brookdale Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.78 miles away1 Brookdale Plaza Brooklyn New York 11212Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 240-5966
- Peninsula Continuum Services LLC3.35 miles away50-15 Beach Channel Drive Far Rockaway New York 11691Dialysis Stations: 20 (718) 734-2190
- Woodmere Dialysis LLC3.55 miles awayFive Towns Premier Nursing and Rehabilitation 1050 Central Avenue Woodmere New York 11598Dialysis Stations: 14 (516) 791-5277
- Marjorie Basser Dialysis Center3.76 miles awaySt. John's Episcopal Hospital 327 Beach 19th Street, Dialysis Unit Far Rockaway New York 11691Dialysis Stations: 15 (718) 869-7637
- South Nassau Outpatient Dialysis Center3.8 miles away3618 Oceanside Road Oceanside New York 11572CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (516) 255-8000
- Rockaway Hd LLC3.81 miles away529 Beach 20th Street Far Rockaway New York 11691Dialysis Stations: 16 (718) 327-4503
- Davita Lynbrook Dialysis Center4.99 miles away147 Scranton Avenue Lynbrook New York 11563CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (516) 596-4101
- S. Nassau Communities Hosp.5.48 miles away1 Healthy Way Dialysis - Acute Unit Oceanside New York 11572Dialysis Stations: 3 (516) 632-3944
- West Nassau Dialysis Ctr, Inc5.58 miles away75 Rockaway Avenue Valley Stream New York 11580CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (516) 823-4444