Beach Terrace Care Center is a large facility in Long Beach, New York. Featuring an overall rating of B, this appears to be a good nursing home. This facility turned out to be one of the better nursing homes in the city. The best aspect of this facility's strong profile is its inspection grade. Inspection grades are discussed in the next paragraph
Beach Terrace Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
This nursing home received a quality overall score as described above, but we especially would like to emphasize its excellent health inspections in recent years. We gave them an A+ in this area. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in computing these inspection grades. One critical factor is health deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of these deficiencies is usually more important than the quantity of deficiencies, as some can be quite insignificant. While this facility had some deficiencies on its government inspection report, none were major deficiencies based on CMS' deficiency scale. A few relatively minor dings are not the end of the world.
Long-term Care Quality
This facility also was given an impressive long-term care score. Indeed, we gave it an above average score of B+ in this category. Nursing homes that do well in long-term care typically provide patients with more supervision and stay on top of routine medical care. On top of looking at the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility provided the vaccine to 100 percent of its patients. Vaccines are vital to keeping patients out of the hospital. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. It had only 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Beach Terrace Care Center?
Short-term Care Quality
Turning to our next category, this nursing home also earned a grade of B for its short-term care rating. This is an above average score in this category. Our short-term care ratings are presumably more critical for patients needing rehabilitation services. Rehabilitation usually utilizes more skilled nursing. This includes not just nursing, but also physical and speech therapy, as well as other forms of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not every facility employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, based on the information they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Lastly, we looked at the percentage of residents that who were able to eventually return home from this facility. We found that 0 percent of this nursing home's patients were able to return home.
The next category we assessed was nursing, proved to be this nursing home's worst category. We awarded this facility a D in this category. This was one of the few dings of a quality profile. In calculating a nursing home's nursing grade, we assess the amount of time nurses are caring for residents as well as the level of skill of those nurses. This facility averaged a meager 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient per day. This is an alarmingly low total. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in calculating our nursing grades. This facility performed well in the area of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Beach Terrace Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Beach Terrace Care Center, 9.58% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of residents that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many experts to be an indicator of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, also known as bed sores, are routinely caused by patients staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Beach Terrace Care Center, 3.04% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of patients who suffered from a fall resulting in serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Beach Terrace Care Center, 2.1% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of patients who sustained a urinary tract infection. These infections could be associated with poor hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Beach Terrace Care Center, 11.59% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs may be vital to many patients, it is important to confirm these medications are being used only where medically required. In some situations, excessive reliance on these medications may mean a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Beach Terrace Care Center, 13.3% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term care patients taking antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Beach Terrace Care Center, 13.2% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients showing depressive symptoms. High levels of depression could be an indicator lower quality care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Beach Terrace Care Center, 91.26% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents who were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Beach Terrace Care Center, 14.75% Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as moving around and continence. Many in the industry believe this is a measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Beach Terrace Care Center, 17.32% Percentage of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term patients who were able to retain mobility. Some argue that the ability to move around is critical to residents' physical and mental health.
In Beach Terrace Care Center, 1.31 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. Minimizing hospitalizations is key to preserving the physical well-being of residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Beach Terrace Care Center, 17.32 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
Measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Beach Terrace Care Center, 8.8 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is generally a correlation between having fewer emergency room visits and the overall quality of care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Beach Terrace Care Center, 75.07% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of short-term patients that experienced functional improvements.
Scores for Long Beach, NY
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of D
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-plus
Looking for more options? Long Beach, New York has 3 other nursing homes
- St John's Episcopal Hospital at South ShoreAcute Care Hospitals 3.72 miles away327 Beach 19th Street Far Rockaway New York 11691Voluntary non-profit - Church(718) 869-7000
- Mercy Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.75 miles away1000 North Village Avenue Rockville Centre New York 11570Voluntary non-profit - Private(516) 705-2525
- Jamaica Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.58 miles away89th Avenue and Van Wyck Expressway Richmond Hill New York 11418Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 262-6000
- Queens Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.05 miles away82-68 164th Street Jamaica New York 11432Government - Local(718) 883-3000
- Creedmoor Psychiatric CenterPsychiatric 11.08 miles away80-45 Winchester Blvd Bldg B Queens Village New York 11427Government - State(718) 264-4000
- Nyu Winthrop HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.21 miles away259 First Street Mineola New York 11501Voluntary non-profit - Private(516) 663-0333
- Nassau University Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.01 miles away2201 Hempstead Turnpike East Meadow New York 11554Government - Local(516) 572-0123
- Brookdale Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.78 miles away1 Brookdale Plaza Brooklyn New York 11212Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 240-5966
- Peninsula Continuum Services LLC3.35 miles away50-15 Beach Channel Drive Far Rockaway New York 11691Dialysis Stations: 20 (718) 734-2190
- Woodmere Dialysis LLC3.55 miles awayFive Towns Premier Nursing and Rehabilitation 1050 Central Avenue Woodmere New York 11598Dialysis Stations: 14 (516) 791-5277
- Marjorie Basser Dialysis Center3.76 miles awaySt. John's Episcopal Hospital 327 Beach 19th Street, Dialysis Unit Far Rockaway New York 11691Dialysis Stations: 15 (718) 869-7637
- South Nassau Outpatient Dialysis Center3.8 miles away3618 Oceanside Road Oceanside New York 11572CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (516) 255-8000
- Rockaway Hd LLC3.81 miles away529 Beach 20th Street Far Rockaway New York 11691Dialysis Stations: 16 (718) 327-4503
- Davita Lynbrook Dialysis Center4.99 miles away147 Scranton Avenue Lynbrook New York 11563CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (516) 596-4101
- S. Nassau Communities Hosp.5.48 miles away1 Healthy Way Dialysis - Acute Unit Oceanside New York 11572Dialysis Stations: 3 (516) 632-3944
- West Nassau Dialysis Ctr, Inc5.58 miles away75 Rockaway Avenue Valley Stream New York 11580CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (516) 823-4444