Baywood Nursing Center is in Saint Petersburg, Florida, which is one of the largest metropolitan areas in the country. Featuring an overall rating of B-, this is a solid nursing home. Based on our assessment, this facility is a good fit for most people. One of the highlights of this facility's report card is its impressive inspection score, which is addressed in the next section.
Baywood Nursing Center
- Nursing Home
Updated May 1, 2020 by Nick Lata
2000 17th Ave S,
Saint Petersburg FL 33712
Note: Data for Baywood Nursing Center has not been updated recently. This page shows historical performance which may not be representitive of current service levels.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Other
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
We want to draw your attention to the fact that this facility really outperformed its overall grade in the category of inspections. In fact, it received an excellent government inspection report this year. As a result, it received one of our best grades in this category with an A-. Inspection grades are tied to datapoints located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Places that score well in this area typically have very few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these nursing homes should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with risks to patient safety. While this nursing home had some minor dings on its report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are labeled as categories G through L. This tells you that the inspectors did not deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. We should point out that deficiency-free inspection reports are uncommon in this industry.
One of the other reasons we rated this nursing home so highly is that it earned a very impressive nursing score. Nursing proved to be its second best category grade. In that area, we gave this nursing home an B+. Nursing scores are tied to quantity of nursing care available. This nursing home averages 0 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality-based metrics and this place excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any facility Florida in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can many times be prevented by providing better nursing care, such as having a protocol of moving a patient even once per day.
Does this page answer your questions about Baywood Nursing Center?
Long-term Care Quality
We also gave this facility a decent score in the category of long-term care, with a grade of B-. For residents in need of a permanent place to live rather than rehabilitation, long-term care is an important category. One of the datapoints we considered on top of nurse's aid hours was vaccinations. Candidly, we were a bit bothered by the fact that this nursing home administered the pneumonia vaccine to just 40.999996 percent of its residents. Fortunately, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. It had only 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Short-term Care Quality
The next category we analyzed was short-term care. We gave this facility a grade of D in short-term care, leaving this as the nursing home's worst grade. Short-term care scores are based on a facility's quantity of skilled nursing services. This includes a vast spectrum of services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, in addition to other types of therapy. It looks like this nursing home was below average in terms of its quantity of registered nurse and physical therapy hours offered to its patients based on the metrics we considered. Lastly, we assessed the number of residents who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that just 2 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Baywood Nursing Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Baywood Nursing Center, 9.08% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of residents who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be an indicator of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, also known as bed sores, are routinely caused by residents not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Baywood Nursing Center, 2.82% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure measures the percentage of long-term residents who sustained a fall which resulted in serious injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but high rates of major falls may be an indication of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Baywood Nursing Center, 1.81% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of residents who have had a urinary tract infection. UTI's are routinely associated with worse hygiene protocols. Better nursing care can limit the number of UTI's sustained by residents in a nursing home. Note that this datapoint is sometimes skewed by the fact that facilities have incongruent reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Baywood Nursing Center, 10.64% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of patients who were given antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic medications are administered to patients for a variety of conditions, such as dementia. Sadly, in limited cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate that a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Baywood Nursing Center, 21.27% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of patients who were prescribed antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety medications are given to patients experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Baywood Nursing Center, 2.33% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term care residents demonstrating depressive symptoms. Many argue this is a reasonable measure of quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Baywood Nursing Center, 94.94% of Patients
This is the percent of residents who were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Baywood Nursing Center, 13.07% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Baywood Nursing Center, 16.78% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term residents that maintained mobility.
In Baywood Nursing Center, 1.76 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of care. There is usually a correlation between staying out of the hospital and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Baywood Nursing Center, 16.78 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term resident care.
Scores for Saint Petersburg, FL
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Saint Petersburg, Florida has 26 other nursing homes
- Bayfront Health - St PetersburgAcute Care Hospitals 1.32 miles away701 6th St S Saint Petersburg Florida 33701Voluntary non-profit - Private(727) 823-1234
- Johns Hopkins All Children's HospitalChildrens 1.39 miles away501 Sixth Avenue South Saint Petersburg Florida 33701Voluntary non-profit - Other(813) 898-7451
- St Anthonys HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.85 miles away1200 Seventh Ave N Saint Petersburg Florida 33705Voluntary non-profit - Church(727) 825-1100
- Palms of Pasadena HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.81 miles away1501 Pasadena Ave S Saint Petersburg Florida 33707Proprietary(727) 381-1000
- St Petersburg General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.39 miles away6500 38th Ave N Saint Petersburg Florida 33710Proprietary(727) 384-1414
- Northside HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.46 miles away6000 49th St N Saint Petersburg Florida 33709Proprietary(813) 521-5000
- Largo Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 13.88 miles away201 14th St Sw Largo Florida 33770Proprietary(727) 588-5200
- Morton Plant HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.97 miles away300 Pinellas St Clearwater Florida 33756Voluntary non-profit - Private(727) 462-7000
- Johns Hopkins All Children's Hospital Dialysis1.33 miles away501 6th Ave S 6500000410 Saint Petersburg Florida 33701Dialysis Stations: 7 (727) 767-4166
- Fmc - South Saint Petersburg1.35 miles away650 34th St S Saint Petersburg Florida 33711Dialysis Stations: 31 (727) 321-2527
- St Petersburg Kidney Care1.4 miles away800 3rd Ave S. Webb Plaza Saint Petersburg Florida 33701CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (727) 821-3201
- Fresenius Kidney Care-St Petersburg1.41 miles away446 4th Street S Saint Petersburg Florida 33701Dialysis Stations: 17 (727) 896-5500
- St Petersburg Dialysis1.43 miles away1117 Arlington Ave N Saint Petersburg Florida 33705Dialysis Stations: 20 (727) 896-9029
- St Petersburg South Dialysis1.56 miles away2850 34th Street S Saint Petersburg Florida 33711CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (727) 864-4050
- St Petersburg Kidney Care South1.98 miles away4050 34th St S Saint Petersburg Florida 33711CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (727) 867-1279
- H Street North - St Petersburg2.23 miles away635 4th St No Saint Petersburg Florida 33701CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (727) 821-4654