Baywood Nursing Center is in Saint Petersburg, Florida, which is one of the largest metropolitan areas in the country. We gave this nursing home a B- overall, which is a solid score. This is comparable with the city grade in Saint Petersburg, which is a B. At the end of the day, this nursing home looks like a solid choice for most people. One of the highlights of this nursing home's report card is its impressive inspection grade, which is addressed in the next paragraph.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Baywood Nursing Center
- Nursing Home
Updated May 1, 2020 by Nick Reese
2000 17th Ave S,
Saint Petersburg FL 33712
Note: Data for Baywood Nursing Center has not been updated recently. This page shows historical performance which may not be representitive of current service levels.
Get pricing and details on Saint Petersburg senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Other
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
This nursing home received a solid overall grade as described above, but we really wanted to emphasize its excellent government inspections in recent years. We awarded them an impressive grade of A- in this category. These inspection scores weigh several factors, including deficiencies, substantiated complaints and federal fines. You can learn more about each of these items by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. While this nursing home had a few minor dings on its report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones labeled as categories G through L. This tells you that CMS didn't deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. We should point out that deficiency-free inspection reports are rare in this industry.
One of the other reasons we rated this nursing home so highly is that it received a very impressive nursing score. Nursing proved to be its second best category grade. In that area, we gave this facility an B+. Our nursing score weighs several datapoints. The most heavily weighted one is the number of hours nurses spent with residents. This facility provided 0 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality measures and this place excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any facility the state in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can typically be prevented by offering better nursing care, such as employing a policy of turning a patient even once per day.
Does this page answer your questions about Baywood Nursing Center?
Long-term Care Quality
The third area we assessed was long-term care, where this facility was awarded a grade of B- in this area. In a long-term care environment, the primary goal is to keep patients as healthy and safe as possible. This is different than skilled nursing or short-term care where the goal is to rehabilitate residents. After we finished looking at the volume of care provided by nurses, we turned to the facility's vaccination records. We were a bit worried that this nursing home vaccinated only 40.999996 percent of its patients against pneumonia. On a more positive note, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. It had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home's least impressive category was short-term care, which is the last area we scored. For this area, we gave this nursing home a grade of D. In computing our short-term care scores, we analyze a nursing home's levels of skilled nursing, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists speech therapists and other highly trained professionals. This score is typically a fair measure of a facility's rehabilitation. Unfortunately, this nursing home was below average in terms of its quantity of physical therapy and registered nurse hours provided to its residents based on the measures we assessed. Finally, we assessed the number of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that just 2 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Baywood Nursing Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Baywood Nursing Center, 9.09% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of residents that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage due to remaining in the same position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Baywood Nursing Center, 2% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric gauges the percentage of long-term residents that have sustained a fall resulting in serious injury. This is one of the statistics we use in calculating nursing ratings.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Baywood Nursing Center, 0% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of patients who have had a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are routinely the result of facilities with worst hygiene practices. Better nursing care reduces the number likelihood of residents sustaining infections. We want to point out that this statistic is affected by by the fact that nursing homes have varying reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Baywood Nursing Center, 45.24% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs may be vital to many patients, it is important to confirm these medications are being used only where medically required. In limited situations, excessive reliance on these medications may suggest that a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Baywood Nursing Center, 58.16% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents who were given antianxiety drugs. These medications are given to patients experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Baywood Nursing Center, 0% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients exhibiting depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Baywood Nursing Center, 69.46% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term patients who were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Baywood Nursing Center, 7.22% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Baywood Nursing Center, 6.73% of Residents
This indicates the percentage of residents who were able to retain mobility over time. Retaining mobility is often a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Baywood Nursing Center, 0.01 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric measures the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. Avoiding hospitalizations is important to maintaining the physical well-being of nursing home patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Baywood Nursing Center, 6.73% of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Avoiding rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is key to restoring the health of residents.
Scores for Saint Petersburg, FL
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Saint Petersburg, Florida has 26 other nursing homes
- Bayfront Health - St PetersburgAcute Care Hospitals 1.32 miles away701 6th St S Saint Petersburg Florida 33701Voluntary non-profit - Private(727) 823-1234
- Johns Hopkins All Children's HospitalChildrens 1.39 miles away501 Sixth Avenue South Saint Petersburg Florida 33701Voluntary non-profit - Other(813) 898-7451
- St Anthonys HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.85 miles away1200 Seventh Ave N Saint Petersburg Florida 33705Voluntary non-profit - Church(727) 825-1100
- Palms of Pasadena HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.81 miles away1501 Pasadena Ave S Saint Petersburg Florida 33707Proprietary(727) 381-1000
- St Petersburg General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.39 miles away6500 38th Ave N Saint Petersburg Florida 33710Proprietary(727) 384-1414
- Northside HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.46 miles away6000 49th St N Saint Petersburg Florida 33709Proprietary(813) 521-5000
- Largo Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 13.88 miles away201 14th St Sw Largo Florida 33770Proprietary(727) 588-5200
- Morton Plant HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.97 miles away300 Pinellas St Clearwater Florida 33756Voluntary non-profit - Private(727) 462-7000
- Johns Hopkins All Children's Hospital Dialysis1.33 miles away501 6th Ave S 6500000410 Saint Petersburg Florida 33701Dialysis Stations: 7 (727) 767-4166
- Fmc - South Saint Petersburg1.35 miles away650 34th St S Saint Petersburg Florida 33711Dialysis Stations: 31 (727) 321-2527
- St Petersburg Kidney Care1.4 miles away800 3rd Ave S. Webb Plaza Saint Petersburg Florida 33701CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (727) 821-3201
- Fresenius Kidney Care-St Petersburg1.41 miles away446 4th Street S Saint Petersburg Florida 33701Dialysis Stations: 17 (727) 896-5500
- St Petersburg Dialysis1.43 miles away1117 Arlington Ave N Saint Petersburg Florida 33705Dialysis Stations: 20 (727) 896-9029
- St Petersburg South Dialysis1.56 miles away2850 34th Street S Saint Petersburg Florida 33711CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (727) 864-4050
- St Petersburg Kidney Care South1.98 miles away4050 34th St S Saint Petersburg Florida 33711CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (727) 867-1279
- H Street North - St Petersburg2.23 miles away635 4th St No Saint Petersburg Florida 33701CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (727) 821-4654