Bayside of Poquoson Health and Rehab is a small facility in Poquoson, Virginia. We gave this nursing home an overall grade of B-. A grade in this range requires some respectable marks. This nursing home seems to have some things going for it. One of the best aspects of this facility's report card is its stellar nursing score, which we will address in the next paragraph.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Bayside of Poquoson Health and Rehab
- Nursing Home
Updated Nov 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Poquoson senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Peritoneal Dialysis
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Bariatric Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
While this nursing home's overall grade was decent, it really excelled in the area of nursing. We awarded it an A for that category, which is one of our highest scores. There are a number of datapoints included in this grade. Most of these factors relate to the quantity of nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This nursing home performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a nursing home has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can typically be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Short-term Care Quality
Additionally, we also would like to note that this nursing home was awarded impressive short-term care marks in this assessment. We gave them one of our more impressive scores in this category, with a B. This proved to be the nursing home's second highest grade. In computing our short-term care ratings, we analyze a nursing home's levels of skilled nursing, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists occupational therapists and other licensed professionals. This category is considered to be a solid assessment of the facility's ability to rehabilitate patients. We were not able to track down registered nurse or physical therapy staffing data for this facility. Lastly, we assessed the percentage of patients that were able to return home from this nursing home. We found that 4.7 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Bayside of Poquoson Health and Rehab?
Looking to our inspection category, we gave this nursing home a grade of C. Our inspection grades are based on the facility's health inspection reports. Inspection ratings are based on many pieces of information located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Deficiencies are an important thing to look for on these inspections. Severe deficiencies indicate a threat to the well being of residents. This facility was hit with 4 deficiencies on its inspection report, but fortunately none were in category J, K or L. This indicates that CMS did not consider any of the deficiencies to put resident safety or health in immediate harm or jeopardy. Unfortunately, we also need to draw your attention to the fact that this facility received significant government fines in recent years.
Long-term Care Quality
Moving on to our fourth category, this facility received a decent long-term care score of C. For long-term care residents, the primary objective is to keep patients healthy and safe. This is different than skilled nursing or short-term care where the goal is to rehabilitate residents. After assessing the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we turned to the nursing home's vaccination records. This nursing home vaccinated 96.80851 percent of its patients against pneumonia, which is better than the average nursing home. Finally, this nursing home was also able to limit hospitalizations. It had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Bayside of Poquoson Health and Rehab Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Bayside of Poquoson Health and Rehab, 4.65% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of patients that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are routinely the result of patients staying in one position for too long. Better nursing protocols minimizes the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Bayside of Poquoson Health and Rehab, 0% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of residents that sustained a fall which resulted in major injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Bayside of Poquoson Health and Rehab, 0% of Patients had UTIs
This figure is an indication of the percentage of long-term residents that experienced a urinary tract infection. UTI's may be an indication of a facility with lower levels of hygiene. Nevertheless, this datapoint may also be misleading for some facilities due to varying reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Bayside of Poquoson Health and Rehab, 11.25% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients who were given antipsychotic drugs. These medications are sometimes used to treat several medical conditions, such as Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Bayside of Poquoson Health and Rehab, 9.47% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of patients who were given antianxiety drugs. These medications are typically given to residents experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Bayside of Poquoson Health and Rehab, 4% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients who are exhibiting signs of depression. High levels of depression may be a sign lower quality care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Bayside of Poquoson Health and Rehab, 94.4% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term care patients who were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for nursing home patients, making these types of vaccines important for resident well-being.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Bayside of Poquoson Health and Rehab, 16.17% of Patients
This is the percent of patients that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living may indicate the decline of a patient's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Bayside of Poquoson Health and Rehab, 13.15% of Residents
This tells you the percent of residents who were able to retain mobility over time. Preserving mobility can be a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Bayside of Poquoson Health and Rehab, 0.02 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Bayside of Poquoson Health and Rehab, 13.15% of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Bayside of Poquoson Health and Rehab, 16.11% of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Bayside of Poquoson Health and Rehab, 74.23% of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term stay residents who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
- Sentara Careplex HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.09 miles away3000 Coliseum Drive Hampton Virginia 23666Voluntary non-profit - Private(757) 736-1000
- Mary Immaculate HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.09 miles away2 Bernardine Drive Newport News Virginia 23602Voluntary non-profit - Private(757) 886-6000
- Riverside Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.5 miles away500 J Clyde Morris Blvd Newport News Virginia 23601Voluntary non-profit - Private(757) 594-2000
- Riverside Doctors' Hospital of WilliamsburgAcute Care Hospitals 16.57 miles away1500 Commonwealth Avenue Williamsburg Virginia 23185Voluntary non-profit - Private(757) 345-3000
- Bon Secours Depaul Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 17.23 miles away150 Kingsley Lane Norfolk Virginia 23505Voluntary non-profit - Private(757) 889-5000
- Childrens Hospital of the Kings Daughters IncChildrens 19.29 miles away601 Children's Lane Norfolk Virginia 23507Voluntary non-profit - Private(757) 668-9647
- Sentara Norfolk General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 19.38 miles away600 Gresham Dr Norfolk Virginia 23507Voluntary non-profit - Other(757) 388-3000
- Rai - Thimble Shoals-Newport News4.73 miles away739 Thimble Shoals Blvd Ste 600 Newport News Virginia 23606CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (757) 873-1090
- Butler Farm Dialysis4.76 miles away501 a Butler Farm Rd Hampton Virginia 23666CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (757) 766-1921
- Zara Dialysis LLC5.94 miles away11234 Jefferson Ave Ste B Newport News Virginia 23601Dialysis Stations: 8 (757) 595-5469
- Jefferson Avenue Dialysis5.94 miles away11234 Jefferson Ave Newport News Virginia 23601CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (757) 595-6167
- Peninsula Dialysis Center6.11 miles away716 Denbigh Blvd Stes d1 & d2 Newport News Virginia 23608Dialysis Stations: 16 (757) 875-1125
- Langley Dialysis6.54 miles away5 W. Mercury Boulevard Hampton Virginia 23669CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (757) 723-4620
- Fmc - Denbigh6.58 miles away555 Denbigh Blvd Newport News Virginia 23608Dialysis Stations: 16 (757) 898-9391
- Rai - Mercury Blvd-Hampton6.84 miles away3319 West Mercury Blvd Hampton Virginia 23666CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (757) 826-1795