Located in Saint Petersburg, Florida, Bay Pointe Nursing Pavilion is one of 27 nursing homes in the area. Featuring an overall rating of C, this is a solid facility. Based on our assessment, this facility ought to meet the needs of many people. The best part of this nursing home's profile was its exemplary inspection rating. We discuss inspections in the next section.
Bay Pointe Nursing Pavilion
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Colostomy Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Registered Staff Hours
While this facility's overall grade was not bad, it really fared well in the area of inspections. In fact, we awarded it a grade of A for that category, which is one of our best scores. Our inspection ratings account for a host of factors found on a nursing home's inspection reports. One of the most important criteria we rely on is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. Places with higher scores in this category typically have very few of these severe deficiencies. While this nursing home had some minor dings on its inspection report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are labeled as categories G through L. This means the inspectors didn't consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. A couple of minor deficiencies should not stop you from considering a nursing home.
Long-term Care Quality
We also awarded this nursing home a strong grade in long-term care. This facility received a grade of B in this category, which is one of our more impressive scores. When nursing homes receive this type of grade in this category it is usually a good sign for patient care and suggests that the place is well-staffed with nurses and aids. In addition to assessing the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we looked at the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility provided the vaccine to 100 percent of its patients. Vaccines are critical to keeping residents out of the hospital. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0.03 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Bay Pointe Nursing Pavilion?
The next highest grade we gave this nursing home in any area came in the category of nursing, where we gave it a grade of C. Our nursing grade is primarily tied to a nursing home's level of nurse staffing. This facility provided just 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident daily. This figure is far below the national average. Finally, while this place got dinged a bit for nursing hours per resident, it excelled in a few of our quality-based metrics. With less than five percent of its residents suffering from pressure ulcers, it performed remarkably well in this metric.
Short-term Care Quality
Switching gears to the fourth category, we gave this facility a D in short-term care. This was the facility's least impressive category score. Our short-term care grade is typically used to judge a nursing home's performance with rehabilitation. To provide good rehabilitation services, facilities generally must provide better levels of highly skilled nursing. These types of services include registered nurses, physical therapists, speech therapists and other highly skilled individuals. With a score of this caliber for this category, we were not surprised to discover that this nursing home was below average in several staffing areas we assess. It provided significantly fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per resident than most facilities. The last item we assessed in this category is the number of residents that ultimately returned home from the nursing home. This facility struggled quite a bit in this area as well, with just 2.8 percent of its residents returning home. Unfortunately, this was quite a bit below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Bay Pointe Nursing Pavilion Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Bay Pointe Nursing Pavilion, 9.03% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of patients that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be a measure of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, which are also referred to as bed sores, are often the result of residents not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Bay Pointe Nursing Pavilion, 2.8% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric tells you the percentage of long-term residents which sustained a fall resulting in severe injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but high rates of falls resulting in injuries may be an indicator of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Bay Pointe Nursing Pavilion, 1.82% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of residents that have had a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are often associated with lower quality nursing care. Better hygiene protocols minimizes the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. We want to point out that this metric is affected by by the fact that facilities have different reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Bay Pointe Nursing Pavilion, 10.99% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure gauges the percentage of long-term residents receiving antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications serve an important medical purpose, it is important to ensure these medications are being used only where medically required. In some situations, excessive reliance on these medications may indicate that a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Bay Pointe Nursing Pavilion, 21.46% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric gauges the percent of long-term care residents that were prescribed antianxiety medication. These medications are typically prescribed to residents suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Bay Pointe Nursing Pavilion, 2.43% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients exhibiting depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Bay Pointe Nursing Pavilion, 94.61% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term care patients who were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for nursing home residents, making these types of vaccines indispensable.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Bay Pointe Nursing Pavilion, 13.17% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with ADL's may be a sign of the decline of a resident's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Bay Pointe Nursing Pavilion, 18.15% Percentage of Residents
Measures the percentage of long-term care residents who were able to retain mobility. Many in the industry believe that the ability to move around is critical to patients physical and mental well-being.
In Bay Pointe Nursing Pavilion, 1.59 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Bay Pointe Nursing Pavilion, 18.15 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Bay Pointe Nursing Pavilion, 9.19 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is usually a correlation between having fewer emergency room visits and the overall quality of rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Bay Pointe Nursing Pavilion, 77.65% Percentage of Resident
Measures the percent of short-term stay patients who experienced functional improvements.
Scores for Saint Petersburg, FL
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Saint Petersburg, Florida has 26 other nursing homes
- Bayfront Health - St PetersburgAcute Care Hospitals 3.15 miles away701 6th St S Saint Petersburg Florida 33701Voluntary non-profit - Private(727) 823-1234
- Johns Hopkins All Children's HospitalChildrens 3.23 miles away501 Sixth Avenue South Saint Petersburg Florida 33701Voluntary non-profit - Other(813) 898-7451
- St Anthonys HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.77 miles away1200 Seventh Ave N Saint Petersburg Florida 33705Voluntary non-profit - Church(727) 825-1100
- Palms of Pasadena HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.16 miles away1501 Pasadena Ave S Saint Petersburg Florida 33707Proprietary(727) 381-1000
- St Petersburg General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.07 miles away6500 38th Ave N Saint Petersburg Florida 33710Proprietary(727) 384-1414
- Northside HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.74 miles away6000 49th St N Saint Petersburg Florida 33709Proprietary(813) 521-5000
- Largo Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 14.71 miles away201 14th St Sw Largo Florida 33770Proprietary(727) 588-5200
- Morton Plant HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 16.95 miles away300 Pinellas St Clearwater Florida 33756Voluntary non-profit - Private(727) 462-7000
- St Petersburg Kidney Care South0.27 miles away4050 34th St S Saint Petersburg Florida 33711CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (727) 867-1279
- Fmc - South Saint Petersburg2.36 miles away650 34th St S Saint Petersburg Florida 33711Dialysis Stations: 31 (727) 321-2527
- St Petersburg South Dialysis2.71 miles away2850 34th Street S Saint Petersburg Florida 33711CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (727) 864-4050
- Fresenius Kidney Care-St Petersburg3.14 miles away446 4th Street S Saint Petersburg Florida 33701Dialysis Stations: 17 (727) 896-5500
- Johns Hopkins All Children's Hospital Dialysis3.19 miles away501 6th Ave S 6500000410 Saint Petersburg Florida 33701Dialysis Stations: 7 (727) 767-4166
- St Petersburg Kidney Care3.32 miles away800 3rd Ave S. Webb Plaza Saint Petersburg Florida 33701CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (727) 821-3201
- St Petersburg Dialysis3.37 miles away1117 Arlington Ave N Saint Petersburg Florida 33705Dialysis Stations: 20 (727) 896-9029
- H Street North - St Petersburg4.16 miles away635 4th St No Saint Petersburg Florida 33701CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (727) 821-4654